The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Right
Old 30th November 2012
Here for the gear

I'm fine with spinning reels or whatever else it takes to show a realistic looking GUI, especially when the reels can be turned off.....and especially when there's so much competition from the other three or four competitors.
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Nut

[QUOTE=billzoe;8435433]q - will the update have any of the options discussed earlier , like Tube and transformer Front end and Head Drivers ? And ADT, Flanging, etc..?

also...ETA?
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Yes of course, still no ETA
Old 9th January 2013
Gear Head

...wanna give us a little preview of the new GUi Quinto?
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltarRecords View Post
+1 yes, please Quinto.
Old 9th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltarRecords View Post
+2

pleeease
Old 9th January 2013
Gear Head

Apologies if this has been mentioned before....

In Cubase on windows, when I turn any of the knobs up to maximum, they disappear :-) They come back again when I turn them back down.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it's something that can be fixed with the new version :-)
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Apologies if this has been mentioned before....

In Cubase on windows, when I turn any of the knobs up to maximum, they disappear :-) They come back again when I turn them back down.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it's something that can be fixed with the new version :-)
Wow... please send an email and I'll update your files, it is something weird...
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Head

Will do
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

VariSpeed option ?

Q - any way to add Vari-speed to Roundtone Update?

A Tape sounding Pitch that can do 50-100% up or down that ACTS like tape (and has no Tempo and Pitch Correction) and sounds Analog vs Digital (artifacts)?

Ex: you could slow a Track down in Pitch by Large amounts just like a Pitch Control on OLD TAPE. Or speed one up like the Piano solo on "In My Life" (Beatles):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0Q8ytD44Y (at 1:45) Thats a Piano w Varispeed (up)

As well as MUCH of the other worldy Vocals and Tape loops on Sgt Pepper or some of Badfingers Vocal FX.

See also:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-question.html

I know XTrim has Pitch but its not a large swing like a Tape Pitch Control.

The Delay and Feedback on RT could be Tied to this..

Not to be Confused with the Current "Speed" control or the REC Speed (15, 30ips)... Varispeed is PLAYBACK Effect.

PLEEEAAAASE !!!
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

It can be done but real tape speed change (I mean for an unlimited amount of time) cannot be done in realtime.

Slowing it down means storing an increasing amount of sound.
Bringing it up faster means using an infinite latency (because you need to send the whole host late to emulate the tape going ahead in time).

Probably a non-realtime solution is the way to go.

You can do huge frequency swings with Roundtone, though. Just set send mode for delay and move delay time

Something Roundtone could get is an internal envelope follower linked to delay.
Great for deterministic ADT effect (artificial double tracking through tape speed variations), like with Lexi prime-time II
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
It can be done but real tape speed change (I mean for an unlimited amount of time) cannot be done in realtime.

Slowing it down means storing an increasing amount of sound.
Bringing it up faster means using an infinite latency (because you need to send the whole host late to emulate the tape going ahead in time).

Probably a non-realtime solution is the way to go.

You can do huge frequency swings with Roundtone, though. Just set send mode for delay and move delay time

Something Roundtone could get is an internal envelope follower linked to delay.
Great for deterministic ADT effect (artificial double tracking through tape speed variations), like with Lexi prime-time II
Non - Realtime is FINE to me. It could be a Button called "Vari-Speed (Freeze/Render Only)" or similar, and a Knob for -/+ 0 to 50%. Alot of the DAW effects (time stretch) are Pitch Correcting (defeats purpose) or Ruin the Sounds (digital artifacts), and just dont sound good.

This is for the "Lucy in Sky" type (thru the whole song) Vocal fx where it just sounds different due to Speeding up the Vox Track or Special Tape FX of slowing down a Sound so its 'weird'.

Yeah the Delay Fx are fun, a cool tweak to it would be "Start Up / Shut Down" to emu the sound of Spool Up on a Reel, etc.. The (current) sweep fx are cool for "Mr Kite" tape loop fx or UFO sounds !
Old 17th May 2013
Gear Head

Any more news on this? Or the new GUI???

...can't blame a guy for trying!
Old 17th May 2013
Gear Head

yeah all seems very quiet in the sknote camp!
Old 17th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quiet before the storm I suspect?
Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quiet???

Just released our first two hardware products, closing the third one.
Building the interfaces for single comps in Bus
Adding 2500 and SH and sta-level
Defining the new style for the whole grey series
Updating algos, updating Rev250, releasing Dimension-D
Testing RTAS (finallyyy!!!)
Updating Stagespace with a new interface and deep early refl section

No, it is not quiet, ah ah! :D
Old 17th May 2013
Gear Head

love your work!
Old 17th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quiet???

Just released our first two hardware products, closing the third one.
Building the interfaces for single comps in Bus
Adding 2500 and SH and sta-level
Defining the new style for the whole grey series
Updating algos, updating Rev250, releasing Dimension-D
Testing RTAS (finallyyy!!!)
Updating Stagespace with a new interface and deep early refl section

No, it is not quiet, ah ah! :D
Those comments made me chuckle!!
Old 27th May 2013
Gear Head
recently bought roundtone, sound great althought i can't use it in pro tools..i've only been able to test it in dsp quattro..we really need a RTAS version real fast...
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

Hello, is there any x64 version of this?

i love this plugin but now i am moving all my plugins to x64 and it would be just great if hadnt to bridge this..
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo G View Post
Hello, is there any x64 version of this?

i love this plugin but now i am moving all my plugins to x64 and it would be just great if hadnt to bridge this..
Indeed there are 64bit versions of all of the Sknote plugins. Email Quinto. It may take him a few days to get it to you because his plugins are "made-to-order".
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Addict

Indeed each lovingly hand carved and crafted from a slab of solid sound!
Old 18th June 2013
mfx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Available as Win32/64 VST, Mac32/64 VST/AU and soon RTAS
Roundtone VST - Tape emulation
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

That "...soon RTAS" makes me feel really guilty but we'll get it
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

Starting a poll

Roundtone is getting a huge update. Now we have Dolby A available together with Dolby B, extended delay functions (with envelope detector and more), input stage modeling and more.

Do you think it is going to look too deep?

- why everything in a plugin? Because e.g. the delay passes through the tape machine in feedback
- why split plugins? E.g. to make the tape machine look simpler

Just let me know your thoughts here if you want...
Old 30th August 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Starting a poll

Roundtone is getting a huge update. Now we have Dolby A available together with Dolby B, extended delay functions (with envelope detector and more), input stage modeling and more.

Do you think it is going to look too deep?

- why everything in a plugin? Because e.g. the delay passes through the tape machine in feedback
- why split plugins? E.g. to make the tape machine look simpler

Just let me know your thoughts here if you want...
I'd prefer simpler, separate plugs. I used to enjoy recording on an old 3M 79 2" machine and i got used to hitting the tape just the right amount for each sound. I find it difficult achieve that on Roundtone, in fact I've given up using it in recent mixes. So a set of controls that represent normal use of a tape machine would be handy, with all your unique but baffling parameters hidden! Also, better metering. Where exactly is 0vu? That's important on real tape but hard to understand in Roundtone. So a plugin with tape type, ips, input gain, output gain and a vu meter with 0vu somewhere sensible would find it's way back into my mixes.

I love the sound of your plugins but there often seems to be niggly problems that stop me using them when i need to get a job done.
Old 30th August 2013
Gear Head

It all sounds great

I think the whole thing in one works fine. I also think the parameters are fine, but i do understand that those used to the standard tape machine parameters may have a bit of a learning curve.

I do use roundtone as a tape emulation, but for me it's also just another colouring tool. A fattening tool. Something to give my digital mixes a little (I hate this word) warmth. I don't mind that it isn't controlled like a realistic tape machine. it still sounds like one. For me anyways.

I do think that you should be able to turn off sections of the processor to relieve CPU if it's not needed For example, I've used roundtone without the input stage emulation just fine up till now. unless it adds something that I can't already achieve with what I already have then I will probably be leaving that bit off etc.

Looking forward to all of it mate. Especially the RTAS.

I only tease because if you don't laugh you're just gonna cry!

Looking forward to ALL of the updates and everything else in between.

Last edited by BaltarRecords; 30th August 2013 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Bad spelling and grammar...terrible behavior.
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug Wolfsohn View Post
So a set of controls that represent normal use of a tape machine would be handy, with all your unique but baffling parameters hidden! Also, better metering. Where exactly is 0vu? That's important on real tape but hard to understand in Roundtone. So a plugin with tape type, ips, input gain, output gain and a vu meter with 0vu somewhere sensible would find it's way back into my mixes.

I love the sound of your plugins but there often seems to be niggly problems that stop me using them when i need to get a job done.

+1 for this, especially for mettering !

I was using roundtone on every channel on my mixes, but I gave it up as well, I just throw it on groups, for example vocals where I want to soften the sound a little bit and add some "warmth"... A metering that clearly shows where 0vu is would help a lot, especially now with the input stage modelling.

Also an automatic output gain reduction for an input gain changes would be handy...

I think that all of that we said for roundtone could be a great improvement for Strip as well.

Also, can't wait the new update !
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe just one plug, but an interface with most of the controls hidden?

I'd prefer a handful of really dialed presets over endless control 95% of the time. When I want to get really tweaky it would be nice to be able to get into the guts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search