The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Whenever I click on the knobs, any one of them, They disappear. Could something be wrong with my copy of the plug? I know Norton would delete
it whenever I downloaded it. I had to turn it off to get it to my workstation.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Whenever I click on the knobs, any one of them, They disappear. Could something be wrong with my copy of the plug? I know Norton would delete
it whenever I downloaded it. I had to turn it off to get it to my workstation.
This is a stupid error we sometime do with the licensing scheme. Please send an email so that we can identify your copy and you'll receive a revised copy!
Old 5th January 2011
soulstudios
This is a fantastic plugin - I'm cross-posting a guide I posted on KVR earlier in the week - enjoy:

A brief guide for working with Roundtape
=====================================================

Tape sound
----------

If you're like me then you don't care about the tape sound - you're more interested in getting the overall thing just sounding _good_. A balance between transparency and smoothness.

However, if you're not like me, and you're into the tape 'ethos', using Roundtape is easy - just slap on some tracks, maybe the master bus as well, and follow the manual's tips for different instruments. It sounds like tape. Use it.

Start with only a little emphasis and action, and adjust the tape speed to taste, then fool around with the action for top-end roll-off and overall saturation, then the emphasis for a slightly more 'exciter'-style non-rolled saturation.
Finally, adjust the output volume so it matches the volume of the mix without Roundtape ON, then compare Roundtape off & on to make sure you're making it better, not just liking it cause it's slightly louder (tape emulation drops the peaks while increasing RMS - overall energy - typically - much like a compressor would).

The process, if you're like me, and you're not too enamored with the tape ethos, and want to use it as more of an effect or mix smoother, is a bit more complex:

Making your mixes shine (non-tape sound)
----------------------------------------

I advise starting with your submix groups - bass, drums, piano guitar etc.
The position of Roundtape in a mix is as important as it's individual settings. My experience has been that placing it at the end of the processing chain, just before it enters the summing bus, is best for mix polishing.
Start with 30ips Hard Comp on the master channel - adjust the tape speed, action and emphasis as in the above section, but for the master channel and submixes you want to keep action low, or zero - otherwise you get a lot of high end rolloff, and a bit too much saturation.
Now you have a setting you're happy with, take it off the master channel and place copies of Roundtape with same settings on each of the submixes.
Listening to the mix as a whole, go through and adjust the emphasis and action on each. From my experience, if you keep the tape speed the same for each of them, the mix sounds more gelled together (ie smooth and polished and all that good crap).

For some tracks, the effect simply won't suit. So don't use it. Or if it partially works, but has a bit too much character, use your host to adjust the percentage of effect (if your host allows it). For some tracks I went with -2db wet signal and -18db dry - this worked well. Unfortunately there's no way to adjust the wet/dry ratio within the plug itself (hopefully corrected in a future version to compensate for hosts which don't support this feature) - regardless of whether action and emphasis are at zero, the thing will still affect your sound significantly.

Working with the submixes/bus groups in this way will give a much more transparent and balanced mix than if you simply stick the effect on the master channel (results in a old-school 'tape' sound IMHO).

Once you've done the bus groups, go back and put some Roundtape on any individual instruments you think need a bit of a kick in the pants.

Roundtape doesn't work quite so well on a drum submix in my opinion - it's better to go back and follow the manual's directions for putting different settings on the snare and kick, separately. Otherwise it just goes mushy. YMMV.

A demo:

track I've been working on - anyway,
I'd worked with steve slate VCC and my usual mixing effects (too many VST's to count) initially without Roundtape:
mattbentley dot net - wronged - no roundtape.wav

I discovered Roundtape and applied it using my guidelines above yesterday-
used it on all submixes except drums and background synth (used it on background strings). Partial usage as above on vox.
The RMS difference was +.23db on the original Roundtape version, so here's a RMS-matched Roundtape'd one (overall track RMS, not this short selection):
mattbentley dot net - wronged - roundtape RMS-matched.wav

Enjoy! Make your mixes shine with Roundtape (not affiliated with Quinto, just making the most of this new plugin and wanting others to do the same).
It's the best plugin this year so far, and a worthy addition to Steve Slate VCC in my humble opinion in terms of getting mixes on par with offline mixing.

BTW - if anybody running a studio gets some good presets going for different instruments - please send them to me! I can use them.

Cheers-
[email protected]
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Very nice, Matt!
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

When will you have the Mac version done?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

It should be ready and tested before the end of january...
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear
Just bought it. True no brainer. Can deliver unique character i am not hearing in any other VST tape effect.

I am looking forward to see updated version with oversampling. I hope for 64-bit in a couple of months heh
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

New version (free for existing users), with "master bus quality" antialiasing is almost ready for testing.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
New version (free for existing users), with "master bus quality" antialiasing is almost ready for testing.
Looking forward to it!

::
Mads
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Quick simple question, when new updates are released, do we get an email notification with a link? How does it work exactly?

Great work!

Thanks

Peace
Illumination
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome, thanks.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will we be contacted by email ??
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, you'll receive the update by email.
An optimization step is still needed, FIR filtering is not so light on the cpu.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, you'll receive the update by email.
An optimization step is still needed, FIR filtering is not so light on the cpu.
That's fantastic man! All of your work is really appreciated.

Since there's a CPU hit, I humbly request that you make that optional and include different default options for real-time and render (offline). Of course, I'll be happy with whatever you put together.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great, Ill buy when this version is released.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodittydada View Post
Great, Ill buy when this version is released.
Beware of that "launch" price
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Will the launch price be in effect when you release the mac version?
Or if purchased now, will the license be cross platform?

Thanks.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Will the launch price be in effect when you release the mac version?
Or if purchased now, will the license be cross platform?
Thanks.
I don't like "pre-order payment" concept at all, if we are not able to set a strict deadline. We'll set a "launch" period for the Mac version.
This should be the sequence:
- new Win version, free for existing users, will coincide with the end of the "launch" offer
- Mac version (directly the new one), "launch" price

This should be the new complete configuration (new on Win, first one on Mac):

- normal, 4x oversampling, linear phase 4x oversampling (with auto mode during mixdown, saves cpu in realtime but exports to the best quality)
- Operating modes: standalone stereo/mono machine, multitrack 1/2/3/4, linked 1/2/3/4 (9 modes).

Standalone: operates as a standalone plugin.

Multitrack x: all controls go to a common set of parameters. Switching back to standalone restores parameters and back. Moving a control while in multitrack x mode modifies the overall machine x set of parameters. Another plugin already part of the same machine changes, but it has its own standalone set of parameters and can be restored to that.

Linked x: the internal standalone set of parameters is active, but the instance is part of the ganged x active/bypass group. Useful if we want to switch on/off a set of plugins but we want to keep separate programs.

- "bypass this" and "bypass machine" buttons
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Awesome!

BBQ Chicken Good! (TM).hehheh

Peace
Illumination
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

That's great customer service, and I like how you've upgraded it in a way
that folks here seemed to be asking for. I bought it without hearing it, it's
easily the best no brainer plug-in value ever. It doesn't work on a lot that
I've tried it on. But when it works on certain tracks, it can be very useful.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
We'll set a "launch" period for the Mac version.
Thank you.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

I just bought it and recieved it through email! I will try this baby out tonight while im drinking my beer !!! LOL im ganna be in another world tonight babYheh
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Licenses sent up to 10 mins ago...
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Beware of that "launch" price
just ordered.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

So if i turn up the gain, any effect i did with the other knobs will become more enhanced?
Great plugin by the way! Gracias amigo!
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
So if i turn up the gain, any effect i did with the other knobs will become more enhanced?
Great plugin by the way! Gracias amigo!
Yes, the overall effect is increased by the resulting signal level (original input level through input gain knob). Don't push it too hard!
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

LOL i know right! My ears feel like they are in a dream!
and a GOOD one!
More like a wet dreamheh
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
LOL i know right! My ears feel like they are in a dream!
and a GOOD one!
More like a wet dreamheh
wait... that didnt sound right
BUT the plugin does!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 7th January 2011
I think I read all posts, but I couldn't find it mentioned here.. does it induce latency (and how many samples) and could anyone successfully wrap it in FXpansion Vst to Rtas Adapter?
Since there's no demo version I can't verify it myself.. I know I know, it's only 10 bucks, but it could be 10 bucks out the window if I can't wrap it.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t View Post
I think I read all posts, but I couldn't find it mentioned here.. does it induce latency (and how many samples) and could anyone successfully wrap it in FXpansion Vst to Rtas Adapter?
Since there's no demo version I can't verify it myself.. I know I know, it's only 10 bucks, but it could be 10 bucks out the window if I can't wrap it.
No latency.
The last demo (by Giuseppe Novella) is done through FXpansion adapter, Roundtone on each track.
The new update, while in optional linear phase oversampling mode, should report 128 samples of latency. 0 latency in "normal" mode.
Should you have problems, immediate refund is the least we can do.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search