The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Probably a bit early and this is not the better thread to talk about it, but don't miss our stand at Musikmesse next spring.

Some nice things to see and try, we'll try to be noticed even though we're very very small

I'm sure it is going to be a great experience (for us, at least)
Old 10th September 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Probably a bit early and this is not the better thread to talk about it, but don't miss our stand at Musikmesse next spring.

Some nice things to see and try, we'll try to be noticed even though we're very very small

I'm sure it is going to be a great experience (for us, at least)
I have been planning on going to the messe in the spring, I'll look you up for sure Q, if all goes to plan.

Graham
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggi View Post
that would be heavenly Quinto!
My vote goes for Ss, Tx and Tube and maybe combinations of em like tx/tube or ss/tube and tx/ss
Also , from a Circuit view, re: Tube 1" Tape (like Studer J37), its not just that it is tube and transformer front end , its more importantly TUBES driving the Tape REC HEADS (and obviously that unique character , the interaction of Valves , REC-HEADs and Ferric tape vs how SS sounds when driving the REC HEAD). To me the sound is 3-D, Darker, Lush, and Unveiled (Tube REC Heads) vs Pristine, tight, slight veiling (SS Head) - dont get me wrong, BOTH are good, depends on application-what you need at the time, and the source .

Last edited by billzoe; 17th September 2012 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: add detail
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict
I assume that its out, but i didnt get my copy of roundtone3.
Quinto, how do i get a hold of it?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg View Post
I assume that its out, but i didnt get my copy of roundtone3.
Quinto, how do i get a hold of it?
Wow, still missing v.3??
I'll send it today.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict
Thank you.. Thought ill wait patiently, but now i really want it!! Haha..
Many thanks..
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

While looking at "The Making Of The Dark Side Of The Moon" I thought about those incredible scenes with Parsons soloing vocal tracks of "A Great Gig In The Sky" and others and _that_ sound. Ok, the performances of the singers are just huge, but the sound is super. If I'm not wrong EMT140 is the only artificial reverb in that album.

So I'm testing this: a tape machine as a pre-delay to a plate reverb, through some console channels. All tracks are printed to tape with reverbs in that video (looks like this).

Dry track -> Strip -> Roundtone (in tape delay mode, no feedback, send mode: 100% wet) -> Verbtone (no internal pre-delay, using the tape) -> Strip -> Roundtone (tape machine mode, no delay)
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

Wondering if the new update should get a "photo-realistic" interface?
Rotating wheels anybody?
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Rotating wheels anybody?
YES!!
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Rotating wheels anybody?
Are you being serious? I personally think it's goofy, unnecessary, distracting, and Slate already has it and will appear to be a copy even though Roundtone is so much better (in my opinion). You have a unique reputation Quinto, one that is steeped in originality and honest integrity, spinning tape reels will be a step backward in that regard as far as I am concerned. But I am only one opinion and will continue to support you work because your plugins sound so great. The only good reason I see to include the spinning tape reels in Roundtone is because "everything tastes better with cheese on it".
Old 30th October 2012
I think the art of sarcasm is lost on the internet....
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I think the art of sarcasm is lost on the internet....
Not completely bleen. That's what I was hoping for. I am just such a huge fan of Quinto's work (as an engineer too, he produced one of my all-time most favorite albums by the band Plootoh), I wanted to go the "better safe than sorry" route and nip this in the butt if needed...... Oops.
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Are you being serious? I personally think it's goofy, unnecessary, distracting, and Slate already has it and will appear to be a copy even though Roundtone is so much better (in my opinion). You have a unique reputation Quinto, one that is steeped in originality and honest integrity, spinning tape reels will be a step backward in that regard as far as I am concerned. But I am only one opinion and will continue to support you work because your plugins sound so great. The only good reason I see to include the spinning tape reels in Roundtone is because "everything tastes better with cheese on it".
+1

Please use the effort to do the best in metering and high quality sound and more frequent updates - spinning wheels, glowing tubes, rust in the corners and flashy surfaces is what too many do already, but it's high quality serious audio tools we need - please don't go this way Quinto...

::
Mads
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quinto already has the quality sound thing figured out, for sure.
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quinto already has the quality sound thing figured out, for sure.
That was not what I meant - but what I wish the main focus, in the development, is on...

Mads
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Nut

I prefer a simpler gui. Clear controls and metering taking up a minimum of screen space.
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear

One GUI change I would welcome is some clearer and more reliable metering. At the moment Strip's and Roundtone's meters are pretty poor IMHO.
Old 31st October 2012
Gear Head

Soundwise Quintos plugs are ace!!

BUT i the GUI could use improvment. Photorealistic maybe is the way to go or some kind of refurbish , now the look like early plugs from early days. Roundtone,Bus,Strip and the rest of the gray dull could use a GUI update.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoleski View Post
Soundwise Quintos plugs are ace!!

BUT i the GUI could use improvment. Photorealistic maybe is the way to go or some kind of refurbish , now the look like early plugs from early days. Roundtone,Bus,Strip and the rest of the gray dull could use a GUI update.
To each their own. I like the current GUI's. If the functionality can be improved my a GUI change, then I am all for it. If it is merely a cosmetic change, I could care less and would rather development time was spent on sound related things. Just my opinion of course.
Old 31st October 2012
Gear Nut

Painting is not required to make music, I prefer some new features musical.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohman View Post
Painting is not required to make music, I prefer some new features musical.
That's what I am saying. But of course, you and I tend to agree more often than not anyway......
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
That's what I am saying. But of course, you and I tend to agree more often than not anyway......
Yes, I support your opinion

The skin does not bother me, I like the small gray I do not like the buttons "on" "on", I prefer buttons "on" "off".
I would like for Strip different colors, it is difficult to find when I display a lot of plugins. Yet many things ... Okay I will do it myself
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Roundtone in action on the whole CD here:

Blue Purple Bees | Catania, CT, IT | Pop / Rock | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

As a tape delay on the sax solo in "Waiting For The Great Dream"

Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Roundtone in action on the whole CD here:

Blue Purple Bees | Catania, CT, IT | Pop / Rock | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

As a tape delay on the sax solo in "Waiting For The Great Dream"

Really really beautiful stuff Quinto. I am starting to wonder if it is a coincidence that all of my favorite bands in the last year or so have been produced by you.... Or is it that you (your ears, choices, and great plugins) impart a certain flavor to everything you do that I just like?
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Wow thanks Rich!

This album was tracked by the band, I had to be very careful to avoid to make it digital. It think it keeps its retro sound.
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Wow thanks Rich!

This album was tracked by the band, I had to be very careful to avoid to make it digital. It think it keeps its retro sound.
It keeps just enough of the rero sound but crisp and clear. Great work on this.
Old 11th November 2012
Gear Nut

q - will the update have any of the options discussed earlier , like Tube and transformer Front end and Head Drivers ? And ADT, Flanging, etc..?

I like the real look but prefer these more...NO ONE has a good Tube-Tx driven(head drivers too) 1" Tape emu that i know of.

If do spinning reels, poss an option to BYPASS for CPU.
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Getting a brand new GUI, too
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
This i like!!
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Careful Quinto - please don't go in a toy direction... focus on meters and functionality - please don't visualize tape and rolling wheels.

I hope you will think of it as an instrument to change tonal and dynamic behavior, the way tape can [and beyond] - but this is not a tape recorder so I hope the visual design won't pretend it is.

Of course it's all up to you, but hopefully you consider this very carefully...

All the best

Mads
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search