The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

DrAudioBot is absolutely right, this system is horrible, first of all for me.
This is why a beautiful user area is almost ready
You get access to your personal page and all the updated list is there for download. Anything better than this??
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
You get access to your personal page and all the updated list is there for download. Anything better than this??
That will be great.
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear

User area sounds splendid - looking forward to it...

::
Mads
Old 8th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Great idea! It's easier for the user to see all the info together.
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Cool!
Old 14th July 2012
Lives for gear

About two weeks for the new user area.
Building a nice surprise to make connecting to it for the first time a pleasure
Old 14th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Old 14th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
About two weeks for the new user area.
Building a nice surprise to make connecting to it for the first time a pleasure
Sounds sweet...

::
Mads
Old 15th July 2012
Gear Addict

I know price wise it's unfair but has anybody compared roundtone the Slate VTM. I did not demo VTM so far but according to the hype it must be something. If roundtone can get close to it, it should be made known to the people out there....The marketing of VTM claims a lot and I will check the demo once the hype is over....
Old 15th July 2012
Lives for gear

If we'll raise the price to 200$ you'll ask if that one can come close to Roundtone
Don't let price policies fool us...
Old 15th July 2012
Gear Addict

Perfect answer, Quint!
Old 15th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post
I know price wise it's unfair but has anybody compared roundtone the Slate VTM. I did not demo VTM so far but according to the hype it must be something. If roundtone can get close to it, it should be made known to the people out there....The marketing of VTM claims a lot and I will check the demo once the hype is over....
If I had a knob lock I would compare it, but i don't!

But saying that, RoundTone to my ears is dam good!!
Old 15th July 2012
Gear Addict

“The gentleman understands what is right, whereas the petty man understands profit.”

Confucius
Old 15th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post
In my opinion it is impossible to compare these two plugins because Roundtone isn't really set up as a 'tape machine' emulation. The controls on roundtone don't really correspond to what you would see on an actual tape machine either whereas the Slate plugin does. Those familiar with tape will probably gravitate towards the Slate plugin for that reason. For me personally that's the drawback with roundtone - it's more like a tape effect emulation and I have great difficulty understanding how it's controls translate to real world tape scenarios. I would love it if Quinto would actually model a couple of specific machines complete with the regular controls we're used to seeing on machines.

Having said that most people who try roundtone really like it so it must be doing something right.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 15th July 2012
Lives for gear

I like the fact that Roundtone is unique. There are plenty of more standard tape effects in all price ranges from super affordable to "pro-pricing." I grab roundtone for something different than the standard tape effect, and that means I tend to grab roundtone a lot.
Old 16th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
If we'll raise the price to 200$ you'll ask if that one can come close to Roundtone
Don't let price policies fool us...
THAT is a great point. I haven't tried the Slat plugin, but before Roundtone I had tried many others, some comparably priced, others much higher. Compared to all of them, I still prefer Roundtone. And in reference to another post regarding it's lack of realistic or familiar controls, I find that to be one of it's strengths! I too spent over 20 years in 100% all analog audio, and companies like Sknote are very much responsible for my eventual 100% ITB digital audio work habits. I was very resistant and almost had to be dragged kicking and screaming (I HATED what I was hearing from the digital audio world for a long while). And now that I have acclimated and have my stride, I find it extremely helpful to have clear and concise (and honest) controls; what do they do to my audio and what happens when I virtually turn that virtual knob..... I don't need a devs efforts put into the time it takes to visually emulate that analog gear, I want to use the thing! On that note, I don't even care if the plugins emulate ANY specific gear; I feel like that is often a kiss of death since analog gear is a real physical device and has it's own unique qualities. But can a dev give me a convincing vibe from a plugin? Absolutely. Quinto (along with a few more devs) does a great job of this! Thanks Quinto!!
Old 17th July 2012
Gear Addict

the website with tests and reviews Protoolerblog announced a test where almost all tape-simulation plugs will be tested and put against each other. Sounds interesting to me and I hope that there will be many sound-examples. Quinto I hope you are part of that competition it could bring you some serious sales ....
Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear

Oh, I don't know, if we don't go fast with these RTAS versions!
Old 17th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
Its to easy to get hung up on which is the best or sounds the closest to real tape ect. I get the reasons why people do this, and I not saying stop… However its better to think or these tools in terms of adding contrast.

For example, lets say you have a drum loop and you are sending the loop into a room to add some depth. By adding Roundtone after the reverb it will create more contrast between the original sound the room.

If anyone is interested in more info on contrast in mixing then let me know and I will do some tutorials.
PLEASE!
Old 19th July 2012
Gear Addict

What is the latest version of Roundtone? (sorry I didn't want to read through the last 5 or 6 pages.)
Edit:
One more question, I can't see a mono version in my plugin list. Is this only stereo? (protools 8 win xp)

Last edited by thebaron; 19th July 2012 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Another question
Old 19th July 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaron View Post
What is the latest version of Roundtone? (sorry I didn't want to read through the last 5 or 6 pages.)
Edit:
One more question, I can't see a mono version in my plugin list. Is this only stereo? (protools 8 win xp)
V3.0.2
Old 19th July 2012
Gear Maniac

AFAIR, it still shows 3.01 in Windows, though ...

Anyway, the Link, you received after purchase,
will download the latest version.

Jan
Old 19th July 2012
Gear Nut

I have a version 3.02 for Windows, a typo for the first customer update shows 3.01...

SKnote Presets and Skins
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, just a typo, but the last link you have downloads the latest version
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

Just closed this project (mix and master) with lots of Roundtone on groups and on the master (hard 30 ips).
I had great fun with their "retro" sound.
Everything acoustic but the strings in Aerostatics.

The band is located in Sicily - Italy, and is called "Blue Purple Bees"

They'll love any feedback

Blue Purple Bees - "Daily Home Reflections"

StripBus, GTS39, and more on this project. Really minimal mixing. If there is a detail which gets your interest and want some insight about the use of an effect just send an email.
If you don't like it, just pass on
Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear
Very very cool stuff Quinto.
Old 31st July 2012
Gear Addict

You really got that vintage sound nice and pleasing to the ears
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just closed this project (mix and master) with lots of Roundtone on groups and on the master (hard 30 ips).
I had great fun with their "retro" sound.
Everything acoustic but the strings in Aerostatics.

The band is located in Sicily - Italy, and is called "Blue Purple Bees"

They'll love any feedback

Blue Purple Bees - "Daily Home Reflections"

StripBus, GTS39, and more on this project. Really minimal mixing. If there is a detail which gets your interest and want some insight about the use of an effect just send an email.
If you don't like it, just pass on
Love this bands songs and sound! Quinto, how and on what did you use the GTS39?
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

It is on vocals, keys, bass (really liking its transparent sustain). Lots of gain reduction to bring up low levels.

Bus on drums for snap. The first song has the most snap on drums, the other ones are a bit smoother.
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Q! I'm trying to get close to that "vintage" sound myself and man, you really nailed it with this band!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search