The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 21st June 2012
  #1351
Gear Addict
 
slackstallion's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo777 View Post
Anyone using this and toneboosters reelbus and maybe uad studer or ampex and can tell the differences used on single tracks ore used on all tracks???
Roundtone gets inside the core sound and smears it more, a little mushy but the new brightness control allows you to bring back some sparkle, which is good. Sounds more like compression with high end rolled off in some instances. I don't know an actual tape player that sounds identical to Roundtone, but it does have the vibe.

Reelbus sounds tighter overall with more focused upper mids and clearer high end, almost like they use a hi pass filter with +5k band crossover and then process it independently. The effect has more of an IR effect to me, which is to say it sounds like different non linear filters are sitting on top of the core tone. Reelbus nails the TEAC 1/4" sound and OTARI sound, I know because I own both.

These are just impressions, but generally Reelbus works better on a bus, and Roundtone on an individual track.

you can get a vague idea by running analyzers after each plugin on a cloned track...do an EQ capture before/after or bounce dry vs wet and do a null test.
Old 22nd June 2012
  #1352
Gear Addict
 

I am wondering if the new slate tape that just has been announced (and claims to recreate every detail even if highly overdriven) is worth the high price???? Lot of hype

How do Reelbus and Roundtone compare CPU wise?
Old 22nd June 2012
  #1353
Lives for gear
 
BlackBackDrop's Avatar
 

Its to easy to get hung up on which is the best or sounds the closest to real tape ect. I get the reasons why people do this, and I not saying stop… However its better to think or these tools in terms of adding contrast.

For example, lets say you have a drum loop and you are sending the loop into a room to add some depth. By adding Roundtone after the reverb it will create more contrast between the original sound the room.

If anyone is interested in more info on contrast in mixing then let me know and I will do some tutorials.
Old 22nd June 2012
  #1354
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
Its to easy to get hung up on which is the best or sounds the closest to real tape ect. I get the reasons why people do this, and I not saying stop… However its better to think or these tools in terms of adding contrast.

For example, lets say you have a drum loop and you are sending the loop into a room to add some depth. By adding Roundtone after the reverb it will create more contrast between the original sound the room.

If anyone is interested in more info on contrast in mixing then let me know and I will do some tutorials.
Tutorials in more contrast in mixing sounds good to me. On the internet? Written and with audio-examples? I remember when I was working with an otari 1" 16 track back in the late 80s it was gorgeous to overdrive the tape for guitar and drum sound and I had less problems with sibyls s,z, and t and k. I am still looking for that softening effect on harsh vocals. Nowadays I need lots of de-esser to get rid of that aggressive sounding treble and transients
Old 27th June 2012
  #1355
Lives for gear
 
quintosardo's Avatar
 

Modeling the input stage and its saturation for a more complete Roundtone.

The algorithm menu is going to be split in three:

- the original algorithm menu
- input stage model
- tape saturation formula

It's going to be 3.1.0 (including some fixes, of course)
Old 27th June 2012
  #1356
Lives for gear
 
Lights's Avatar
Wow!! You think it and then you build it. It was only last week when the idea even surfaced with Illacov's mix. You guys move fast.
Old 27th June 2012
  #1357
Lives for gear
 
lobsterinn's Avatar
Looking forward to the update, Quinto!
Old 28th June 2012
  #1358
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Modeling the input stage and its saturation for a more complete Roundtone.

The algorithm menu is going to be split in three:

- the original algorithm menu
- input stage model
- tape saturation formula

It's going to be 3.1.0 (including some fixes, of course)
whoa! I'm looking forward to this!
Old 28th June 2012
  #1359
Lives for gear
 
illacov's Avatar
 

Talking

Now things are starting to be interesting.

It will be just my luck that we will be beta testing the newest revision of Roundtone and I will have to use the beta to finish the song

But that's the lifestyle!

Thanks

Peace
Illumination
Old 29th June 2012
  #1360
Lives for gear
 
quintosardo's Avatar
 

Yes, these input stage modeling and new options for tape formulae are the right ones for your mix.
Every single projects suggests so many improvements... if only the time was enough to do all the things I'd like to...

(modeling D*lby A multiband processor, now, from an old dusty hw processor... really great...)
Old 29th June 2012
  #1361
Lives for gear
 
mljung's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Every single projects suggests so many improvements... if only the time was enough to do all the things I'd like to...

(modeling D*lby A multiband processor, now, from an old dusty hw processor... really great...)
Yes if only you had the time Still waiting for the other promised updates on Verbtone, Presence and Bus.

Roundtone 3 was a very fine update, if it continues this way, it'll be a beast, a sweet beast... D*lby A multiband processor, among other things sounds very interesting.

But be careful to promise too much, it sounds exciting but also give users high expectations, and can't wait to try it - bug-fixes are just as important!

May the time be with you!

::
Mads
Old 3rd July 2012
  #1362
Lives for gear
 
quintosardo's Avatar
 

They were all already developed projects, so they come out while improving the existing ones. Now focusing on Bus, needs some serious work to kill the last bug.
Great feedback about its new compressor model, though (opto 2A).
Old 5th July 2012
  #1363
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
Quinto, will this Roundtone ever be able to play with no latency?

I'm not sure I understand why it can't.. I thought that was possible for any plug-in?

thanks
Old 5th July 2012
  #1364
Lives for gear
 
quintosardo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Quinto, will this Roundtone ever be able to play with no latency?

I'm not sure I understand why it can't.. I thought that was possible for any plug-in?

thanks
It cannot because of wow and flutter, they need to oscillate around a point forward in time
Old 6th July 2012
  #1365
Gear Maniac
 

So v3 always has latency, no matter which oversampling mode I set?
Old 6th July 2012
  #1366
Lives for gear
 
quintosardo's Avatar
 

It has lower latency with oversample off
Old 6th July 2012
  #1367
Gear Maniac
 

hmm... I guess I'll have to stick with v2 then >.<
The issue here is, Reaper doesn't know "low" latency. The lowest one in my configuration is 256 samples which is already annoying for tracking :(
In fact the soundcard latency already sux, though you have to deal with it until they find a way to break the laws of physics.
Old 6th July 2012
  #1368
Lives for gear
 
quintosardo's Avatar
 

Everything with an oscillating "time" (like variable tape speed) needs latency, to be able to go forward and back in time (because in an emulation you cannot let time shift accumulate, of course)
Old 6th July 2012
  #1369
Gear Maniac
 

might it be possible to turn off the latency when turning off wow/flutter ?
Old 6th July 2012
  #1370
Lives for gear
 
quintosardo's Avatar
 

Yes, even though it is not the most transparent operation. I'll look into this before the next update (which is going to include tape chorus, new saturation options, new input stage with clipping and more )
Old 6th July 2012
  #1371
Lives for gear
 
jeremy.c.'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Yes, even though it is not the most transparent operation. I'll look into this before the next update (which is going to include tape chorus, new saturation options, new input stage with clipping and more )
You have the most insane (in a good way) development cycle I have ever seen!
Old 6th July 2012
  #1372
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gunjah View Post
hmm... I guess I'll have to stick with v2 then >.<
The issue here is, Reaper doesn't know "low" latency. The lowest one in my configuration is 256 samples which is already annoying for tracking :(
In fact the soundcard latency already sux, though you have to deal with it until they find a way to break the laws of physics.
I use Reaper and can track at 64 samples, comfortably at 128. If you are having issues, it's not Reaper. Besides, you can just track at low latency without the plugins and mix at higher buffer settings and add all of your fx.
Old 7th July 2012
  #1373
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Yes, even though it is not the most transparent operation. I'll look into this before the next update (which is going to include tape chorus, new saturation options, new input stage with clipping and more )
Ok, cool, thanks for checking this!

@richinmusic: Of course it's my own fault if I can't get my soundcard latency lower though that pdc rounding is a reaper issue. At least I can't remember reading about issues like that from people that use other hosts.
Old 7th July 2012
  #1374
Lives for gear
 
DrAudioBot's Avatar
So, what's the actual situation with this?

I find it very inconvenient and tedious, to be forced to go to gearslutz, click through pages to maybe find
(often without success and wasted 5 minutes of my time!) news about updates, new versions, added format etc.

How about updated newsletters? How about a general automatic customer management instead of making it a "gearslutz thing"
and constantly announcing a new plugin 6 months before it's ready, Quinto?

This whole "system" makes me turn my back to SK plugins in general.

Had to be said!
Old 7th July 2012
  #1375
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
So, what's the actual situation with this?

I find it very inconvenient and tedious, to be forced to go to gearslutz, click through pages to maybe find
(often without success and wasted 5 minutes of my time!) news about updates, new versions, added format etc.

How about updated newsletters? How about a general automatic customer management instead of making it a "gearslutz thing"
and constantly announcing a new plugin 6 months before it's ready, Quinto?

This whole "system" makes me turn my back to SK plugins in general.

Had to be said!
Yes, a newsletter might be a good idea. Coincidently though, I did just get a free stripbus update delivered to my email about 15 minutes ago..didn't ask for it or expect it...same thing with roundtone about a couple of weeks ago, with extras that weren't part of the original deal added free. That made me very happy
Old 7th July 2012
  #1376
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
So, what's the actual situation with this?

I find it very inconvenient and tedious, to be forced to go to gearslutz, click through pages to maybe find
(often without success and wasted 5 minutes of my time!) news about updates, new versions, added format etc.

How about updated newsletters? How about a general automatic customer management instead of making it a "gearslutz thing"
and constantly announcing a new plugin 6 months before it's ready, Quinto?

This whole "system" makes me turn my back to SK plugins in general.

Had to be said!
SK may not be the most organised of software developers, but the plugins are excellent and so are the prices. I've always found the support to be great as well, Quinto goes the extra mile to get things working when we need them. Bigger companies might have newsletters and user areas to log in to, but their plugs cost ten times as much as SK.
I think it's reasonable for us all to be understanding and patient.
Old 7th July 2012
  #1377
Gear Addict
 
ooohhh2's Avatar
 

+1! Look again at their prices.
And Quinto is one of the responsive devs around, just test and send him an email if you need any help, he'll answer right away.
He still needs to organize his license lists, and things like that, other than that there's nothing negative to say. And his plugins are top notch.
Old 7th July 2012
  #1378
Lives for gear
 
DrAudioBot's Avatar
Good prices, yes. Quality plugins, yes. Good system, absolutely not.
Other (low price) developers (Toneboosters comes to mind) have an easier way to distribute their products, without giving guys like me a hard time.
I guess it's mainly based on Quinto's protection/license system.
Old 7th July 2012
  #1379
Lives for gear
I want my updates as much as anyone, but come on y'all. So Quintos update system could be improved, is it that big of a deal? If people are in such urgent "need" for these updates, how come you have so much time to post these complaints on this forum? Be happy, relax, and go make/mix music with all of the awesome Sknote plugins that already work and sound amazing. And this is not to start a big war, I am not pointing any fingers. I would still rather give my money to what I consider to be user focused companies with unprecedented customer service AND crazy-fair pricing (like Sknote, Cockos, Acustica, Valhalla DSP, Stillwell Audio, ToneBooster, even MSI, DDMF, and PSP) than to the ones that neglect the users and inflate prices just to give their product a false higher value (not to mention the unnecessarily contrived "protection" systems many implement). Just my biased opinion. Peace.
Old 7th July 2012
  #1380
Gear Nut
 
Hohman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
I want my updates as much as anyone, but come on y'all. So Quintos update system could be improved, is it that big of a deal? If people are in such urgent "need" for these updates, how come you have so much time to post these complaints on this forum? Be happy, relax, and go make/mix music with all of the awesome Sknote plugins that already work and sound amazing. And this is not to start a big war, I am not pointing any fingers. I would still rather give my money to what I consider to be user focused companies with unprecedented customer service AND crazy-fair pricing (like Sknote, Cockos, Acustica, Valhalla DSP, Stillwell Audio, ToneBooster, even MSI, DDMF, and PSP) than to the ones that neglect the users and inflate prices just to give their product a false higher value (not to mention the unnecessarily contrived "protection" systems many implement). Just my biased opinion. Peace.
Peace.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
LonDonsen / Product Alerts older than 2 months
11
sage691 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
Curve Dominant / Music Computers
83

Forum Jump
Forum Jump