The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear
Thanks for the more in depth explanation Quinto.
Old 10th June 2012
Lives for gear

This is a very enlightening page of this gigantic thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Emphasis controls how much color the tape emulation gets. The color isn't static equalisation, it translates to harmonic content. E.g. if the tape formula you select has a head bump around 100Hz, you get more saturation and around that and harmonics from that range.
[SNIP]
...instead of an eq bump which one would have to deal with. Emphasis is the perfect word, then. Interesting approach.

Your thinking on these issues is really quite interesting, Quinto.

Thank you for the clarifying details.

Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Talking

TMW starts a VERY important chapter in Roundtone's history.

Long story short, I have a multitrack session for a song that was recorded to digital and dumped to 15ips Ampex 456 tape, on a Tascam 38 machine (8 tracks at a time) and laid back (Brad McGowan method) to digital until the ENTIRE song had hit tape and was in the digital session.

Well hard drives being what they are, my triple backup of the session all went kaput one day, as well as my 8 track deck no longer being in the picture and so I only have a few actual stems of the "taped" stems around but they are not enough for me to finish mixing the song (meanwhile my band's album is due next month!), so I reached out to Quinto to help me to replicate the sound of the "taped" tracks.

I'm going to upload some original stems (pre tape) and whatever stems I can find from the the taped sessions, then it is on Quinto and maybe you guys too, to help us replicate the sound of the Tascam 38 in all of its funkdafied glory!

My chain was pretty simple, the 38 had no variable line amps, so I usually patched in a PM1000 preamp to give it some juice, so we hit a stage of transformer (no so far fetched for most decks since a good deal have preamps built in) and then it would hit tape at say +3db usually.

Quinto is going to take a listen to the files and analyze them as best he can so that we can use Roundtone to replace that missing vibe and tone from that session.

I can think of no other better scenario to demonstrate the sound of a tape emulation than one like this. Its my session, my files and you will all see how it "pans out" in the long term.

I am going to grab the files tmw morning, shoot them off to Quinto as well as keep a diary here on this thread while we document our progress.

Kudos to Quinto for taking me up on this whole situation, short of booking time at a tape equipped studio I have no other short term recourse.

Please feel free to participate in the whole process, I hope this will help all of the RT users to become better acclimated with RT and offer us all better results and experiences.

The game is on!

Peace
Illumination
Old 11th June 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
TMW starts a VERY important chapter in Roundtone's history.

Long story short, I have a multitrack session for a song that was recorded to digital and dumped to 15ips Ampex 456 tape, on a Tascam 38 machine (8 tracks at a time) and laid back (Brad McGowan method) to digital until the ENTIRE song had hit tape and was in the digital session.

Well hard drives being what they are, my triple backup of the session all went kaput one day, as well as my 8 track deck no longer being in the picture and so I only have a few actual stems of the "taped" stems around but they are not enough for me to finish mixing the song (meanwhile my band's album is due next month!), so I reached out to Quinto to help me to replicate the sound of the "taped" tracks.

I'm going to upload some original stems (pre tape) and whatever stems I can find from the the taped sessions, then it is on Quinto and maybe you guys too, to help us replicate the sound of the Tascam 38 in all of its funkdafied glory!

My chain was pretty simple, the 38 had no variable line amps, so I usually patched in a PM1000 preamp to give it some juice, so we hit a stage of transformer (no so far fetched for most decks since a good deal have preamps built in) and then it would hit tape at say +3db usually.

Quinto is going to take a listen to the files and analyze them as best he can so that we can use Roundtone to replace that missing vibe and tone from that session.

I can think of no other better scenario to demonstrate the sound of a tape emulation than one like this. Its my session, my files and you will all see how it "pans out" in the long term.

I am going to grab the files tmw morning, shoot them off to Quinto as well as keep a diary here on this thread while we document our progress.

Kudos to Quinto for taking me up on this whole situation, short of booking time at a tape equipped studio I have no other short term recourse.

Please feel free to participate in the whole process, I hope this will help all of the RT users to become better acclimated with RT and offer us all better results and experiences.

The game is on!

Peace
Illumination
that rescue project sounds very interesting indeed, would be interested in sound sound examples and comparisons once you have finished all and once you have time for such information to us. And as far as Quinto is concernd I hope he can profit from this learning-process and implement the lessons learned in version 4
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

I just wanted to report that all of the funky issues I had with the effects not working properly were fixed in this last build 3.0.1.
We're cooking with gas over here and I absolutely love the ability to really mess with the sound!
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
I just wanted to report that all of the funky issues I had with the effects not working properly were fixed in this last build 3.0.1.
We're cooking with gas over here and I absolutely love the ability to really mess with the sound!
Are you on PC? As far as I know a fix for mac users still hasn't been released :(

Cheers, Mark.
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Any news on 3.0.1 for mac?
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valjean24601 View Post
Are you on PC? As far as I know a fix for mac users still hasn't been released :(

Cheers, Mark.
Yes, PC, sorry for any confusion.
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Distributing 3.0.2 Mac and Win (a small fix) now!

Replacing the old links, I'll announce when ready
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Distributing 3.0.2 Mac and Win (a small fix) now!

Replacing the old links, I'll announce when ready
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Talking

Here are the files,
I decided to use something more concise by utilizing stems from a session where both the raw and taped stems still existed so that Quinto (et al) can make a better comparison between before and after.
I figure if he can nail the sound of these I can apply the results to the session in question without too much guess work.

The files are free for all to download.

Thanks for your participation and help!

Peace
Illumination
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

v.3.0.2 for Mac is now available for download under the same link!
(the same last link you got for 3.0.0)
(coming soon for Win, with a small fix)
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
v.3.0.2 for Mac is now available for download under the same link!

(coming soon for Win, with a small fix)
Nice
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry Quinto where is the link? Is it somewhere in this thread?
Really looking forward to giving it a try, thanks for all your hard work.

Cheers, Mark,
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by valjean24601 View Post
Sorry Quinto where is the link? Is it somewhere in this thread?
Really looking forward to giving it a try, thanks for all your hard work.

Cheers, Mark,
It's the same link that you got in an email from the last Roundtone 3 update. I just tried it in Logic 9.1.7 on OS 10.6.8 and it crashed Logic just like Roundtone 3.0 did. It shows as 3.02. I closed the Roundtone GUI, clicked it in my inserts list to reopen it, closed it again, reopened it, then bypassed it, closed it and clicked to reopen it and it crashed Logic 3 times in a row now.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choros View Post
It's the same link that you got in an email from the last Roundtone 3 update. I just tried it in Logic 9.1.7 on OS 10.6.8 and it crashed Logic just like Roundtone 3.0 did. It shows as 3.02. I closed the Roundtone GUI, clicked it in my inserts list to reopen it, closed it again, reopened it, then bypassed it, closed it and clicked to reopen it and it crashed Logic 3 times in a row now.
Wow, a success!
Checking and trying to make it happen here in Logic
Old 12th June 2012
Quote:
Wow, a success!
Checking and trying to make it happen here in Logic
Works nicely here. Just removed the old component before installing a new one.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

I'm not able to make it happen here in Logic 9
Any more details or reports?

Yes, be sure to remove the old one.
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Head

Hmm, I'm not able to download the new version from the same link as in my e-mail, file not found. Maybe I should wait a bit?
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm not able to make it happen here in Logic 9
Any more details or reports?

Yes, be sure to remove the old one.
Yes, I was sure to remove the old one. Both Roundtone 3.0 and the last Roundtone 2 are not in my components folder.

To be fair, I just did a test as I thought maybe I was just opening and closing Roundtone 3 too quickly or too many times in a row for Logic to keep up. But, I just did the same opening and closing and bypassing of Stripbus randomly 4 or 5 times in a row and everything was fine. I then did the same thing with Roundtone 3 - open, close, open, close, bypass, close, open - and it crashed Logic again. Logic crashes when I try to reopen Roundtone 3.02. The outline of Roundtone's blank/translucent GUI will appear but never fill in and I get the "Logic has crashed" error message or whatever it says.
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Nut

Here is the error message that I get. It just crashed on me again with only opening and closing Rountone 3.02 twice. This happens randomly and without Audio playing:

Logic Pro has unexpectedly quit. The current project has been saved as “Cad e100s test (crashed).logic”
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Uhm... trying more her but oesn't happen... thinking about possible differences in installations...

Are you using 64 bit mode?
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Uhm... trying more her but oesn't happen... thinking about possible differences in installations...

Are you using 64 bit mode?
I don't think so. How would I know? Logic 9.1.7 says (32 bit) when I open it. To install, I just opened the Roundtone 3.02 .zip file, changed .vst to .component, and replaced the Roundtone 3.0 component with Roundtone 3.02 in my component folder.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choros View Post
I don't think so. How would I know? Logic 9.1.7 says (32 bit) when I open it. To install, I just opened the Roundtone 3.02 .zip file, changed .vst to .component, and replaced the Roundtone 3.0 component with Roundtone 3.02 in my component folder.
Ok, Logic says 32 bit mode, just to be sure of testing the same here
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quinto my email has been playing up in the last few hours and I've only just been able to try and download the update. I tried downloading the file from the last email you sent out but it's giving me a '404 error file or directory not found'.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

@Mark: checking and sending by email soon!
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
@Mark: checking and sending by email soon!
It's ok Quinto I got it downloaded, must have been just a temporary problem with my email. I have it installed now and I'll test later tonight

Cheers, Mark.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Great :D

In the meanwhile, working on the tracks from illacov...
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

Win files updated to 3.0.2

You can download it from the same link used for 3.0.1
Old 13th June 2012
Lives for gear

WOW! This thing is just beautiful as a tapedelay!! U Da Man, Q
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search