The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 21st April 2012
mfx
Lives for gear

Looking forward to this release Quinto. By the description it sounds like it's going to be therewith the higher frequencies Like the auto silencing with the noise, good idea.
Old 21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear Maniac

That looks great !
Finally someone added the Dolby B Noise Reduction,
commonly misused as treble booster ( record enabled, playback disabled ).

I have one BIG wish, Quinto.
I own Presence and Roundtone.
I prefer to work in a dimmed environment and thus my displays are set very soft / dimm.
On all Your 'grey' plugins I simply can not read the settings / info at the bottom.
All other settings are still laking contrast but are, at least, readable ...

It would be great, if You could increase the contrast, especially at the bottom !

Jan
Old 21st April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dada_ View Post
That looks great !
I prefer to work in a dimmed environment and thus my displays are set very soft / dimm.
On all Your 'grey' plugins I simply can not read the settings / info at the bottom.

It would be great, if You could increase the contrast, especially at the bottom !
Jan
+1
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Jan
Another +1
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

For someone who already owns Kramer Master Tape and ReelBus, how much will Roundtone bring to the table?
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Roundtone is a lot subtler than KMT, which I find imparts a very noticable character to tracks (too much IMO). I mainly use the transient softening effect you can get with RT. There is no over the top saturation like when you drive KMT hard. The tape machine linking features are very useful (common settings for linked tracks except gain and volume). But I think things are going to get really interesting with the upcoming update outlined a little futher back in the thread.
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
For someone who already owns Kramer Master Tape and ReelBus, how much will Roundtone bring to the table?
It definitely has a different color, than MasterTape and ReelBus.
It can be pretty obvious too, when using the 'dirty' modes and a lot of 'action'.
Using the later results in very noticeable HF drop, though, which needs to be compensated with an EQ, most of the times.
But that's gonna change with the upcoming update.

I find uses for all of them ...

Jan
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It definitely has a different color, than MasterTape and ReelBus.
It can be pretty obvious too, when using the 'dirty' modes and a lot of 'action'.
Using the later results in very noticeable HF drop, though, which needs to be compensated with an EQ, most of the times.
But that's gonna change with the upcoming update.

I find uses for all of them ...

Jan
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely keep Roundtone on my short list of things to pick up.
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Talking

AWESOME!

Can't wait!!

Peace
Illumination
Old 29th April 2012
Waiting.....v.....3......
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Recording the first simple demo video as a reference for testing... :D
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

When do we expect version 3 to officially launch?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Gearslutz App
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

It could be in beta in two days. If it runs smooth, could be sent in a week or less
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah! I just purchased Roundtone :-) This is gonna be fun
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear
And that beta is where, mystery man??
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Mistery? Runnerman!
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Mistery? Runnerman!
You're not joking......
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Ok, here are some audio previews for Roundtone v.3

(sorry for the file sizes, I'm not going to upload such things as mp3 tape sound samples)

This is the new DolB enhancer.
It is a stereo drums loop (a stereo pair on the kit).
Starts dry, then DolB is slowly increased. You can hear how it passes through a bad spot (you can hear the "swish"), then comes to a sweet spot where everything is really bright but doesn't become harsh like through a static filter. This is a gain of 10dB!

Roundtone_v3_enhancer

This is about the new wow and flutter feature.
The same drums loop start dry, then wow is slowly increased and then slowly back to dry. You can hear the highs smearing (heavy handed here, of course):

Roundtone_v3_WOW

This is fun. It is the new tape delay feature. I slice just one hit from the same drums loop, with long delay and high feedback, and manage the tape machine parameters to get the hit changing. Sometimes I raise the gain to get back the loop running.
Wow, action, emphasis involved here while the loop runs:

Roundtone_v3_Delay

The whole tape machine is in the feedback loop, from input gain, through algorithms, to output volume. This allows to manage the whole sound in several ways, e.g. increase input gain to get more saturated delays.
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Double post!
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear
VERY cool Quinto!
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear Addict

impressive indeed
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Somebody asks for broken-machine kind of algorithms (like extreme wow settings and such). This is not what we had in mind (a special effect). I wonder what do everybody think about this.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Somebody asks for broken-machine kind of algorithms (like extreme wow settings and such). This is not what we had in mind (a special effect). I wonder what do everybody think about this.
Hi Quinto.
Really excited about this. Roundtone is great already, but this is just on another level! I for one would love to see an extreme WOW setting, could be really good on things like pads, or getting a really old and funky vibe on tracks.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have no use for such things personally. Special effects are always fun but I'd rather a developer focus on elements and features that are sonically pleasing.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you could get a really wild warbley Board of Canada thing as an FX that would be amazing! Like an old high school projector from the 70s type of extreme flangey pitchyness. In fact if that were a separate type effect I would buy that too. (shouldn't probably tell you that though)

I like the Kramer because it has a great tape delay thing that NOTHING else does. Something really wild could set Roundtone apart like that.
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Ok. I change my vote. The poster above made me rethink it. Weird and unique and warbly effects could be pretty darned cool in some situations.
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Probably a separate plugin would be the way to go.
Free for Roundtone owners, but separate, to keep the concepts clean...
Roundtone is a good_sound kind of thing.
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Probably a separate plugin would be the way to go.
Free for Roundtone owners, but separate, to keep the concepts clean...
Roundtone is a good_sound kind of thing.
Not a bad idea. The price of the new version is going up by $10, so throwing in "BrokenTone" with Roundtone would a pretty cool incentive.
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Talking

New Algos sound great!

Can't wait to try them on a mix!

Peace
Illumination
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search