The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

sorry for the confusion....so...is it ready already? do i have to email you quinto?
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
sorry for the confusion....so...is it ready already? do i have to email you quinto?
Still working on it and you'll receive it by email as soon as ready
Just increased the number of new features, trying to keep the number of updates low and significative.
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Still working on it and you'll receive it by email as soon as ready
Just increased the number of new features, trying to keep the number of updates low and significative.
makes sense. looking forward to it
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Addict

Rtas?

Sept... December... Feb?
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Talking

So is this enhancer going to kind of address my "cleaner" tapes formulas request?

Roundtone is a for the most part just a wee bit on the darker side overall and I tend to use the mix knob to preserve the high end but I also lose the mids and low mids beef by doing that. If I were to wish for anything at all it would be that the highs enhancer allows for high fidelity tape operation.

I mentioned the Studer emu before and as a beta tester I think that the harmonic enhancer may help to address some of the complaints I've seen that claim that Roundtone can be a bit murky to some folks tastes.

I definitely don't mix on bright monitors and dont prefer to go super bright so please take my point of view for what its worth.

I'd say once you nail the cleaner sounds that tape can accomplish you have a perfect product

Also a perfect compliment to Grasso!

Hey where's my beta!LOL

Peace
Illumination
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Head

Any news?
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, it is going to be v.3

New added features:

- metering
- wow and flutter
- flanging modes
- delay modes
- new mono to stereo modes
- new algorithms, including hi freq enhancing
- new optional output stage

There is some time left if anybody is still missing it, it will be a free update for existing users and 29.99$ for new customers.
So this is the right time to jump on

The new beta should be available before the end of march. All users are welcome to test, just send an email.
Some sound samples will be posted while the final tests go on, for feedback and suggestions.

If you feel that something important could be added feel free to write here, there is some space left for still a bit of improvement ("bit", or my deadlines will loose the last bit of trustability )
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
New added features:

- metering
- wow and flutter
- flanging modes
- delay modes
This is going to be the best update ever
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

New added features:

- metering
- wow and flutter
- flanging modes
- delay modes

Excellent!
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Talking

Awesome!

Peace
Illumination
Old 8th March 2012
Quote:

New added features:

- metering
- wow and flutter
- flanging modes
- delay modes

There is some time left if anybody is still missing it, it will be a free update for existing users and 29.99$ for new customers.
So this is the right time to jump on

The new beta should be available before the end of march. All users are welcome to test, just send an email.
Some sound samples will be posted while the final tests go on, for feedback and suggestions.

If you feel that something important could be added feel free to write here, there is some space left for still a bit of improvement ("bit", or my deadlines will loose the last bit of trustability )
Head bump control?!

/Jon
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllet View Post
Head bump control?!

/Jon
Not that simple because the head bump comes from the circuit model, it is not a simple parameter like in trivial modular emulations. They change with the algorithm, though!
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not that simple because the head bump comes from the circuit model, it is not a simple parameter like in trivial modular emulations. They change with the algorithm, though!
It's actually not due to circuitry at all but physical properties of the heads and tape path.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Tape emulations are missing two elements related to the magnetization of the tape. The first is that this makes the edges of the sound “fluffy” a texture that in nature is very comforting. Psychologically this has the same effect. The second is that this process makes the sound randomly “wobble”, again something we find in nature all around us and helps………………..

Anyway that’s me 2p worth!
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

So, if I get Roundtone V2 now I will get the v3 for free?
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post
Yes! for sure, Quinto has to follow other trends, so V3 will be a Hardware version of Roundtone following in the footsteps of Waves.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
It's actually not due to circuitry at all but physical properties of the heads and tape path.
Yes, "virtual circuitry" is strictly integrated
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
Tape emulations are missing two elements related to the magnetization of the tape. The first is that this makes the edges of the sound “fluffy” a texture that in nature is very comforting. Psychologically this has the same effect. The second is that this process makes the sound randomly “wobble”, again something we find in nature all around us and helps………………..

Anyway that’s me 2p worth!
There are new algos included in v.3
One of the new details in the new models is an added level of control on the attacks.

The new "wow and flutter" control covers the second one, because it doesn't just affect speed but also equalisation (the tape having micro changes in its distance from the head).

A new fun elemnet comes from the mono_to_stereo modes. Being the two channels (left and right) emulated independently, a mono tracks gets stereo dimension due to the varying differences.

One important rule we imposed ourselves is avoiding the "random" function.
The models are related to characteristics of the input.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol

The models for hysteresis and such are first translated to equivalent electric circuits with memory effects, that's why it is just "circuits" for me.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanZoo View Post
Yes
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes! for sure, Quinto has to follow other trends, so V3 will be a Hardware version of Roundtone following in the footsteps of Waves.
We'll call it something like "Stoder 800"... or "Studir 801"... but with digital control through usb

Seriously, though, the only hardware here is about acoustics, studio and engineering (panels, surfaces, mixing and listening environments, etc.). We'll hardly ever manage to produce electronics...
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

While the B mode "noise reduction" section (just the pre-processing section, with sliding filter) is included in Roundtone v.3, the A mode (inspired by the multiband pro system, with overlapped bands) will probably be another plugin.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
We'll call it something like "Stoder 800"... or "Studir 801"... but with digital control through usb

Seriously, though, the only hardware here is about acoustics, studio and engineering (panels, surfaces, mixing and listening environments, etc.). We'll hardly ever manage to produce electronics...
LOL thats brilliant, very funny...

The "Fluffy" texture is not Attack, its very different. Its hard to explain, I have a photo of what I mean, do you have email I will send it along with what tape wobble.. might help you, us the universe nail this tape sound...
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, of course, you can use the email function here through my "nickname" ("name" )

I think I got what you mean with "edges", even if I used "attacks". The new algos have something new about this, related to short term dynamics (not that the existing algos don't, the new ones just add a different twist to give a wider palette).

Waiting for the email, any "eye (ear) opener" is very very welcome.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, of course, you can use the email function here through my "nickname" ("name" )

I think I got what you mean with "edges", even if I used "attacks". The new algos have something new about this, related to short term dynamics (not that the existing algos don't, the new ones just add a different twist to give a wider palette).

Waiting for the email, any "eye (ear) opener" is very very welcome.
Sent to your yahoo!
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

I'll probably grab both roundtone and stripbus these days soon
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
strictly
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
What?
E.g. to model a memory effect in a circuit modeled "device" you _can_ (not necessarily have to) build a model through components like resistors, inductance and such (e.g. tape-head interaction modeled as a n-th order electronic circuit). You get an overall circuit model (hardware circuit plus sub-models like magnetic tape). The best emulations try to model it as a whole, if the interaction is interesting.

***edit
Oh, ok, "tightly" could be the right word
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
E.g. to model a memory effect in a circuit modeled "device" you _can_ (not necessarily have to) build a model through components like resistors, inductance and such (e.g. tape-head interaction modeled as a n-th order electronic circuit). You get an overall circuit model (hardware circuit plus sub-models like magnetic tape). The best emulations try to model it as a whole, if the interaction is interesting.
hmmm... wonder where I've heard this before... Aren't you just talking about reactance? Probably don't need a new term for that. The term "Memory Effect" is best left for things like photocells which have physical properties which are not easily modeled by an electronic circuit equivalent.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search