The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

Actually, RT on Insert One; SAT last insert after everything. Although, the beauty of SAT is you could also use it first ('On' or 'Off' and just use Gain and Filter). Then at the last insert, have it running 'On'.

1) RT>eq's/comps/xtras>SAT

2) RT>SAT off>eq's/comps/xtras>SAT on

there are no hard and fast rules but I use these along w/ UAD Studer/Ampex, Waves MPX, VCC, Airwindows. They all have a place but this sounds good to MY ears only-you may feel differently after some experimentation.
RT is one of the fav tape emus for channels here but UAD Ampex lives on the 2Buss

Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

I guess there's no rules ITB. But I place Roundtone at the end of the chain, trying to mimic the hardware world by thinking of going out the console into the tape machine.
To me that makes more sense, but in the end: Do what sounds best

I mostly use something like 30ips medium/"speed" very low/"action" between 10 and 25/"emphasis" between 10 and 50, depending on music.

Can't wait for the update Quinto!!!!!
Old 16th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
I guess there's no rules ITB. But I place Roundtone at the end of the chain, trying to mimic the hardware world by thinking of going out the console into the tape machine.
I do it this way

On channels : tape 1st in chain (tracks playback), console emu last

On 2 buss : console 1st, and tape second to last, just like going to tape one last time ( limiter is always last )
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

I recently bought this and this is a very good sounding one.. really. Very close to a tape machine effect.

By the way - why changing the presets dont change the knobs position?... And a tutorial of "linking" machines is somehwere? I dont get it.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
I recently bought this and this is a very good sounding one.. really. Very close to a tape machine effect.

By the way - why changing the presets dont change the knobs position?... And a tutorial of "linking" machines is somehwere? I dont get it.
Just set the same "Tape Machine X" on several instances and they are linked by all the parameters but Gain and Volume.

Set the same "Linked to X" on several instances and they are linked by bypass only.

You could miss the knob moving if the instances are bypassed.
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

monthly update bump
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

Oh

To add some content to this bump: the new Dolb* add-on adds still another color to the palette.
It is interesting because it enhances high freqs in a peculiar way, then it goes to the "tape" qwhere hi-freqs can be tamed. An interesting modeling combination

Roundtone update will come after StripBus update (due in a few days...)

The "invisible" Roundtone updates (Mac VST/AU/32/64) took quite some time.
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quinto as always thank you for the hard work. Also, has that issue with changing sound with roundtone when reopening a project been addressed as well?
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

That was the main point, of course!
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

You rock man
Old 13th November 2011
Gear Maniac
great! can't wait!
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

btw, your site does not work entering sknote.it, works only when www.sknote.it is written small bug but worth checking.

I still love Roundtone. Can't wait for update!
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw, your site does not work entering sknote.it, works only when www.sknote.it is written small bug but worth checking.

Thanks!
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's noteworthy... Quinto, you should write a small redirect or use google webmaster tools to tell it that sknote.it and www.sknote.it are the same site. Then set www.sknote.it as the preferred domain. This will help your presence and ranking.
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quinto,

I suggest few things in future release:

- more user friendly presets like
"mix buss saturation - low",
"mix buss saturation - high",
"guitars" etc.

- saturation NOT depending on the song level: I mean you have one song and you set it right, and you have the other with higher RMS and with the same Roundtone settings is all distorted. This is quite annoying. It will be great to achieve the same sort of saturation in different RMS songs.

- Two quality settings: Normal/SuperQ - because usually the mid settings are not in use
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quinto,

I suggest few things in future release:

- more user friendly presets like
"mix buss saturation - low",
"mix buss saturation - high",
"guitars" etc.

- saturation NOT depending on the song level: I mean you have one song and you set it right, and you have the other with higher RMS and with the same Roundtone settings is all distorted. This is quite annoying. It will be great to achieve the same sort of saturation in different RMS songs.

- Two quality settings: Normal/SuperQ - because usually the mid settings are not in use
totally agree! Such an addition would make this plug stand out amongst the competitors,

for the low and high saturation options
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Please note: those are NOT presets, they are algorithms!
We could add some presets, though.

Saturation independent from audio level? Mmhhh, I don't know, we can reason about it. Analog is level dependent, saturation is level dependent. Adding just harmonics without saturating the signal (compressing it) isn't how tape behaves. And this is a tape machine emulation, not an exciter! Maybe it could be added to Presence, instead...
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Please note: those are NOT presets, they are algorithms!
We could add some presets, though.

Saturation independent from audio level? Mmhhh, I don't know, we can reason about it. Analog is level dependent, saturation is level dependent. Adding just harmonics without saturating the signal (compressing it) isn't how tape behaves. And this is a tape machine emulation, not an exciter! Maybe it could be added to Presence, instead...
We don'tunderstand each other Let me write it other way - when you have EQ plugin or (even saturation plugin), when you set it on a track and play with the settings it's no matter if the track peaks at -25 or -1dB. It will be EQ-ed (or saturated, or reverb-ed...) the same way (amount). And I just wonder if it can behave like this - like Roundtone adapting the neutral gain ("0") to the RMS of the track and this is the strarting point (so the same track which peaks at -25dB treated by RT sounds the same like this track normalized to -1 and treated by RT on the same settings). So working much like other plugins around.

If it's not possible, maybe a simple waveform "overview" showing how it will affect it (compress, cutoff peaks, etc). Nothing fancy like FabFilter stuff, but simple.

I know that tape in hardware relays on how you push it. I know also that there are hardware EQs which have GAIN control also to compensate. But there are also transformer balanced EQs and their level stays normalized.

------------------ next thing that came to my mind

Also, I think it will be fine to be as close to the tape machines operation as we can, so the sound is shaped by
- tape machine (but it have less than more influence to the sound if we're talking of course in pro-stuff)
- tape formulas (like the holy grails: SM900, SM911, 456, 499, PER528)
- bias adjustment (which you've already did in your settings just diff name)
- tape speed (7.5/15/30 which you've already did in your settings)
- ...plus maybe a "hisser" as an option?

So my dream opration will be emulating these formulas with your great sounding plugin and controls like gain/tapeformula/bias/speed/hissON:OFF/volume + presets like I wrote above.

I can provide hiss samples if you want at 24b/96k (Telefunken M15 machine with Neumann preamps, PER528 tape, calibrated +6dB, speed 15 and 7.5 IPS)

PS: I'm really impressed by your stuff. I bought Roundtone to be a backup to my real machine (mastering), but I found it great for individual tracks in mixing! Looking forward to test Cuttertone... it will be my next choice.
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Let me write it other way - when you have EQ plugin or (even saturation plugin), when you set it on a track and play with the settings it's no matter if the track peaks at -25 or -1dB. It will be EQ-ed (or saturated, or reverb-ed...) the same way (amount).
This is not correct except for most eq's. No saturation or tape plugs work like that unless it is a convolution based. This is not an IR plug-in.
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Geek View Post
This is not correct except for most eq's. No saturation or tape plugs work like that unless it is a convolution based. This is not an IR plug-in.
I think an automatic internal gain adjustment is needed for this. Yes, it could be useful, now I get it. The problem is that it is a compressor. A very slow compressor. Does it influence the sound?
It may be a new (switchable) option for the new Roundtone, together with some of the other options sat159p1 listed.

About tape formulas: I'm not sure about that. Our goal in these emulations is to study and listen and study and listen until we build an image about the general behavior. Then build a model which encompasses the main characteristics of the device, going even beyond the faithful (i.e. Roundtone very lowpassed settings). It may be defined as a "loose and smooth" modeling. I'm not sure we'll be able to push Roundtone in the direction of having precise references to tape and formulae. But I'll think about this.
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No saturation or tape plugs work like that unless it is a convolution based. This is not an IR plug-in.
So, key is the right meter....

Quote:
I think an automatic internal gain adjustment is needed for this. Yes, it could be useful, now I get it.
OR the way simpler! - a simple colour diode meter - which will tell how much signal is treated by plugin!

Quote:
About tape formulas: I'm not sure about that. Our goal in these emulations is to study and listen and study and listen until we build an image about the general behavior. Then build a model which encompasses the main characteristics of the device, going even beyond the faithful (i.e. Roundtone very lowpassed settings). It may be defined as a "loose and smooth" modeling. I'm not sure we'll be able to push Roundtone in the direction of having precise references to tape and formulae. But I'll think about this.
I know that will be hard. Maybe just a presets like "456 tape high saturation - 30IPS" just based on tape characteristics. eg. 456 will be "full rock saturated with little loss of highs, and the sam preset just changed tape to PER528 will be more hi-fi with less saturation (just "Emphasis", "Action" and "Speed" parametres).

But it all depends on the way you want it to be in the future.
Old 26th November 2011
Gear Head

Ummmm

I feel really stupid here, but Quinto's email installation instructions make no sense to me.

"Please download "Presence" VST for Windows from the link below.
Click on right mouse-button and select "save as".

DON'T UNZIP IT, just rename the file "Presence.dll" and put it in your plugins folder, as usual.
(Be sure to have file extensions shown in your system before renaming!)

An user manual is available for download from the website.

Please write here or in the forum if you need help or information.

Quinto
"

i downloaded the zip file and did not unzip but am, at no point,given the option to "save as"

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks

Ian
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

Ian, "save as" is normally available with a right-click on a link. But at any rate if you downloaded it already as you said, then you downloaded it. No need to worry about "save as" if you have it downloaded already. Just follow the rest of the renaming instructions. It's cake...
Old 26th November 2011
mfx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonky View Post
I feel really stupid here, but Quinto's email installation instructions make no sense to me.

"Please download "Presence" VST for Windows from the link below.
Click on right mouse-button and select "save as".

DON'T UNZIP IT, just rename the file "Presence.dll" and put it in your plugins folder, as usual.
(Be sure to have file extensions shown in your system before renaming!)

An user manual is available for download from the website.

Please write here or in the forum if you need help or information.

Quinto
"

i downloaded the zip file and did not unzip but am, at no point,given the option to "save as"

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks

Ian
Download, the is already in your email, right hand mouse click and 'save as' ...choose location.

When renaming in windows (are you using Windows7).
• Open Explorer
• on the Organize tab (down arrow) select the 'folder and earch options'
• Click the 'View Tab'
• Locate the 'Hide extensions for known file types' and populate the box with a tick (if not already), by default this will be blank.
• Press OK
• Locate the prescence.zip file and rename the file to prescence.dll
• Copy or move the presecnce.dll file to your vst plugin folder.
• Go back and untick once completed to save your self a headache.

If you have not done the above your will end up with a file presecnce.dll.zip, but the .zip will not be visible nd the plugin will not load in your host.

I cannot comment on other OS's as not installed.

Hope this helps you if not already sorted. It can be confusing. Do wish Quinto would just zip the dll to make things easier for less experienced OS users.

Peace

M
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parissound View Post
I can't believe that people are asking for a demo or a beta when this thing only cost a lousy $10bucks. Geesh people, thats less then a case of beer. Buy the dam thing, if you care for it then don't use it.
Ditto. That is just plain insulting and shows no respect for the guy's efforts!
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh

To add some content to this bump: the new Dolb* add-on adds still another color to the palette.
It is interesting because it enhances high freqs in a peculiar way, then it goes to the "tape" qwhere hi-freqs can be tamed. An interesting modeling combination

Roundtone update will come after StripBus update (due in a few days...)

The "invisible" Roundtone updates (Mac VST/AU/32/64) took quite some time.
Friendly end-of-the-year-bump
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

Software

Quote:
+1
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
+2
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

After using the ATR 102 Magnetics plugin from UAD, I must say this is a sound I think Roundtone could implement rather swiftly if possible.

The sound of the deck @ 30 ips and 15 ips is for the most part very clean so its definitely a subtle taste of color. I wouldn't call it an excited sound but the deck is definitely cleaner than any of the models in Roundtone so definitely some cleaner models would be nice.

Sort of like Console C and D on Stripbus V2!!!

Whattya say?

Happy New Year!

Peace
Illumination
Old 31st December 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, Roundtone will expand more and more
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search