The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

Just checked for you, no probs here with Chrome.

Graham
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Guess I'm hitting the wrong link? "google chrome could not find www.sknote.it"
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear
The site is down. Tried both Chrome and IE.
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
The site is down. Tried both Chrome and IE.
Hi guys, i know this may not be much help to ya'll but i have checked again and the site is working perfectly and is loading as fast as usual in Chrome and Internet Explorer.

link : http://www.sknote.it/

Graham
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear
It must be a DNS problem. it's still down here.
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
it's still down here.
It's been down for a few hours for me as well. In any case, looking forward to the new version.
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

anyone get their 64bit update email from Quinto yet?
Old 8th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
RTAS isn't slowed down by other development and updates, it is a parallel route.
The first porting and system setup (how to manage all these formats efficiently) is the hardest one, but a new feature in existing software doesn't mean RTAS is left behind. I'm the first one who can't wait to get that one done...
Gracie Q
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

the 64 is awesome
Old 9th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyByStarbucks View Post
anyone get their 64bit update email from Quinto yet?
Quote:
the 64 is awesome
So did you get it?
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

yes I did, thank you
been using all day
Old 9th October 2011
Gear Nut

Are we talking 64bit OSX here?
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

yes
Old 9th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
yes
Sweet...Had it the latest new features?

Graham
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Hi G-
no. its exactly the same. just lets me avoid L9's Meter Bridge. Its working great & stable
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Nut

Hmmmm... no sign of an email or any official word for the 64bit OSX versions... is it officially out?
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Try Quinto directly. He's extremely responsive
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Guys:

One thing that never really did it for me (and I hope that some of you can enlighten me, to pay attention to certain things while using it) is the SPEED knob.
Honestly, I'm not even sure I hear anything with that one. "Action" and "Emphasis" are easy, but "Speed"...

And wow, looking so forward to the new modes AND the METERING!
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
Guys:

One thing that never really did it for me (and I hope that some of you can enlighten me, to pay attention to certain things while using it) is the SPEED knob.
Honestly, I'm not even sure I hear anything with that one. "Action" and "Emphasis" are easy, but "Speed"...

And wow, looking so forward to the new modes AND the METERING!
I discovered that it dials in more aliasing, so if if it doesn't give you anything positive [I have the same experience] I recommend turning it fully counter clockwise...

::
Mads
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Mads,

yeah...I don't remember that I ever used it to be honest
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I discovered that it dials in more aliasing, so if if it doesn't give you anything positive [I have the same experience] I recommend turning it fully counter clockwise...

Mads
good to know
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Oh, well, not in oversampling mode!

"Speed" parameter controls overall time-constants scaling of the model. My suggestion is: if you cannot hear the difference leave it at its default value.
It makes a good difference on some particular passages, like some strong guitar peaks getting benefit and being "rounded" from the tape treatment.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

I have to admit that I'm personally no expert in aliasing. But from all I learned from this thread: Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread my measurements tells me that even using highest oversampling doesn't help much. I used the 44,1 kHz sample frequency and 910 Hz sine tone as Andy from Cytomic [maker of the Glue compressor] has suggested. The 4 pictures shows 1: Default 2: Speed set to 0 3: Speed set to 100 4: Speed set to 100 using "Super Q Now"

Mads
Attached Thumbnails
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone"-roundtone-default.jpg   New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone"-roundtone-speed-0.jpg   New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone"-roundtone-speed-100.jpg   New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone"-roundtone-100-super-q-now.jpg  
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Yes but what you should have also learned is that FFT analyzation is limited; somewhat misleading as I demonstrated with more than 1 test tone in that thread. Whether that factor is determined by FFT limitation or because of the "tuning" of an algorithm in traditional algo coding remains to be confirme. BUT most importantly one should have learned that the ears determine what is good at the end of the day not a graph. Some of the best plugins and good sounding ones people swear by and create success from don't "look the best" in that thread. It is true also that an exceedingly large amount of oversampling is needed to truly impact the so-called aliasing. This doesn't mean brands of oversampling don't change the percieved sound for the better or worse i.e with Quinto's stuff, I determined by A/B listening that his way of oversampling within his coding works nicely.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Yes but what you should have also learned is that FFT analyzation is limited; somewhat misleading as I demonstrated with more than 1 test tone in that thread. Whether that factor is determined by FFT limitation or because of the "tuning" of an algorithm in traditional algo coding remains to be confirme. BUT most importantly one should have learned that the ears determine what is good at the end of the day not a graph. Some of the best plugins and good sounding ones people swear by and create success from don't "look the best" in that thread. It is true also that an exceedingly large amount of oversampling is needed to truly impact the so-called aliasing. This doesn't mean brands of oversampling don't change the percieved sound for the better or worse i.e with Quinto's stuff, I determined by A/B listening that his way of oversampling within his coding works nicely.
I know this is a subject that has caused a lot of debate, and I hope pointing at this issue here can be useful for the development of Roundtone too.
I do agree that the ear is always the final judge, but I think it's important to be aware of digital artifacts that only gradually degrades audio [e.g. when processed more than once] is something to be aware of. The cleaner the signal chains the better. Hopefully more people concerned with aliasing will chime in!

Mads
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Mads, the issue of audio degradation is indeed a real one, nobody should argue that. In fact, as a generalzation, I'd say it's part of fundamental engineering: proper gain staging, good acoustics, and maintaining audio integrity.

However, because of inconsistency in measuring as shown in that thread, as well as inconsistent opinions of what sounds good related to higher frequency rates as also shown in the thread, as well as the inconsistency of graph charactersitcs not always matching what our ears judge as determined by the staggering amount of plugins for example that many use, pros included and actually still sound good regardless of the graphs is directly related to the simple notion that the ears rule ultimately. With these kind of FFT graphs, if one wanted to see what harmonics if any are generated by all means. But to determine quality based on them is inconsistent.
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Ok I leave it there with this final example - I simply don't have enough technical knowledge about this issue, to discuss it further.

Still I will personally prefer aliasing stay as low as possible. So if I use a plugin like Roundtone, I will be careful with the knobs.

This final visual example shows roundtone with speed, action and emphasis turned to 100, I know this will not be the usual setting of course, but still, it's set to Super Q Now to avoid aliasing.
Look at the other picture that's High Q Now, I wonder what's happening there, some inconsistency seems to be there.!?

But that's all for me about Roundtone and aliasing!

Mads
Attached Thumbnails
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone"-roundtone-100x3-super-q.jpg   New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone"-roundtone-100x3-high-q.jpg  
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

Hi everyone. I am getting ready to purchase Roundtone and have a question. Would I use this as an insert on every track or on the master bus. I'm guessing I would use it on every track as an insert , just like I am doing with Satson, but should it be at the beginning (like Satson) or the end of the insert chain per every track?

Thanks!
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Hi everyone. I am getting ready to purchase Roundtone and have a question. Would I use this as an insert on every track or on the master bus. I'm guessing I would use it on every track as an insert , just like I am doing with Satson, but should it be at the beginning (like Satson) or the end of the insert chain per every track?

Thanks!
Contrary to some opinion, we run Tape Emus first, Console Emus Last on every channel.
2Buss is trickier. With whatever plugs live there, just be happy with how they effect the ENTIRE mix; not in a cumulative way as per channel plugs do but in a blanket way that with one fell swoop of anything will make a dramatic change on overall perception.
hope this helps

Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear

So perhaps, Roundtone on insert 1, then Satson on 2, then my compressors, etc.?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search