The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 12th May 2011
Lives for gear

@pat38: yes, of course. We are already working on it. It requires a step back from vst2.4 to vst2.3. Fxpansion never updated their wrapper to vst2.4 (maybe for technical reasons). It has been a bit overlooked because it works perfectly on Win, the problem on Mac came out later.
Old 12th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
@pat38: yes, of course. We are already working on it. It requires a step back from vst2.4 to vst2.3. Fxpansion never updated their wrapper to vst2.4 (maybe for technical reasons). It has been a bit overlooked because it works perfectly on Win, the problem on Mac came out later.
Thanks Quinto for the explanation I'll stand by until your team adds that missing bit
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Head

How Long Before I can download the plugin?

I paid via Paypal 4 hours ago but still no d/l link??
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Sending now by email!
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Sending now by email!
Got it!

Many Thanks.
Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear

Win64 version ready and sent
Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear

how's AU going?
Old 15th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto3jon View Post
how's AU going?
+1
Old 15th May 2011
Lives for gear

Well, as every first step it is a bit hard, but it is going on
It must be solid like Win and Mac VST versions (at least), of course, so...
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Nut

waiting for the AU, but also wondering...

I don't have any tape sim plugins, and I'm the kind of person that just wants one. Kind of like if I had a real studio that recorded to tape, I would probably just have one 2 inch tape machine that everything in the studio would be recorded onto. So the point is, Is this plugin quality enough to be that one tape plugin?

I've read these threads and it seems good, but people are also referring to Airwindows "ToTape" and of course the UAD studer (which i probably can't get anyway)

So should I get this plug, or is Airwindows the way to go? Or should I wait for something better? and please don't say get both! I'm trying to limit my options because it helps with my creativity

I just want a Tape plugin that does the best job at sounding like you are recording to real tape.
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

Between this and the Airwindows one, I'd probably get this (sorry Chris). ToTape isolates a few qualities of tape well, but Roundtone really nails the vibe (at least in terms of what I look for in tape sims). Though you can easily demo the ToTape and also maybe Magnetic (Nomad Factory's) and listen for yourself to see if they do what you need them to
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanBrass View Post
waiting for the AU, but also wondering...

I don't have any tape sim plugins, and I'm the kind of person that just wants one. Kind of like if I had a real studio that recorded to tape, I would probably just have one 2 inch tape machine that everything in the studio would be recorded onto. So the point is, Is this plugin quality enough to be that one tape plugin?

I've read these threads and it seems good, but people are also referring to Airwindows "ToTape" and of course the UAD studer (which i probably can't get anyway)

So should I get this plug, or is Airwindows the way to go? Or should I wait for something better? and please don't say get both! I'm trying to limit my options because it helps with my creativity

I just want a Tape plugin that does the best job at sounding like you are recording to real tape.
I won't tell you to "get them both" - but if you're using AU's, it would serve you (very) well to get the Massey Tapehead (it's FREE) and check it out for a bit before thinking of purchasing a tape-saturation plug. It's a fine plugin. If you want to actually pay for one, I would steer you towards the PSPSaturator for now... but it all depends on how you want to use the plug. Here's a link to the "Massey TapeHead" --

smassey.com

Here's a synopsis of the "full" Tapehead plug (which is only available for PT users - but the AU plug is set at "medium" which is probably where you want it 99% of the time anyway.)

http://www.masseyplugins.com/plugins/tapehead

Cheers!

Last edited by slammy80; 19th May 2011 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: missed url
Old 19th May 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for the help guys,

I already have the massey tapehead plug, but it seemed kind of extreeme. I'll use it on tracks here and there.

Basically what I'm looking for is a tape plug to put on all my tracks so that it behaves in such a way that it's like I'm recording to tape.

We have all these "virtual console" plugins that make the ITB mixes behave like you're working on an analog console, So I guess I'm looking for something just like that in regards to a "virtual tape" plugin.

I recorded my first album on 2 inch and I love the way it sounds. If there is a plugin that can replicate that kind of thing, then yummy.

I just bought SatSon and so I'm kind of really getting excited to do some mixes, so I thought I'd check out the tape plugin realm.
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

As stupid as it is, what are your favorite settings on Roundtone?

Normally, I just mess with the knobs for each channel seperately. But I'd love to use it set-and-forget style, just like a tape machine and just control the level sent into it...

Cheers!
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoelger View Post
As stupid as it is, what are your favorite settings on Roundtone?

Normally, I just mess with the knobs for each channel seperately. But I'd love to use it set-and-forget style, just like a tape machine and just control the level sent into it...

Cheers!
Not so stupid

These are my goto settings in almost every mix:

- 30ips 0.2speed 0.2action 1.0emph on most instruments and drums pans
- 30ips 0.3speed 0.8action 0.3emph on bassdrum/bass
- 15ips 0.3speed 0.3action 1.0emph on snare
- 15/7.5ips 0.7speed 0.3action 0.5/1.0emph on electric guitars
- the same presets but dirty modes on synths and synth drums and some extreme guitars
- 30ips-comp 0.1speed 0.1action 1.0emph on submix/mix
- 30ips 0.1speed 0.1action 1.0emph while mastering
- 15ips 0.5speed 0.1action 0.8/1.0emph on voice, very low input, on voice, acoustic guitars
Old 19th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not so stupid

These are my goto settings in almost every mix:

- 30ips 0.2speed 0.2action 1.0emph on most instruments and drums pans
- 30ips 0.3speed 0.8action 0.3emph on bassdrum/bass
- 15ips 0.3speed 0.3action 1.0emph on snare
- 15/7.5ips 0.7speed 0.3action 0.5/1.0emph on electric guitars
- the same presets but dirty modes on synths and synth drums and some extreme guitars
- 30ips-comp 0.1speed 0.1action 1.0emph on submix/mix
- 30ips 0.1speed 0.1action 1.0emph while mastering
- 15ips 0.5speed 0.1action 0.8/1.0emph on voice, very low input, on voice, acoustic guitars
Thks for that info.

I can understand ips, but can you define speed, action, mph ? Are these tape compression related like some other terms for attack, ratio, release...?

Also, how is the wrapper bug resolution for mac/rtas going?

I can't wait to try it on PT !

Thanks!
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat38 View Post
Thks for that info.

I can understand ips, but can you define speed, action, mph ? Are these tape compression related like some other terms for attack, ratio, release...?

Also, how is the wrapper bug resolution for mac/rtas going?

I can't wait to try it on PT !

Thanks!
+1. interested in this too.

also: quinto, all your settings in the list above are ALL so low.
speed 0.1 or 0.7, while you can drive it all the way up to 100.00.
Same goes for emphasis, where you often use 0.3 or 1.0, while it CAN go up to 100...I'm confused.
Are you talking of 70, when you say 0.7 or really 0.7?
Old 19th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat38 View Post
Thks for that info.

Doh, nothing beats a rapid RTFM

The interface is very simple, including:"
- input - Input gain from -oo to +6dB"
- speed - Controls the overall time constants for the tape machine"
- action - Controls the amount of coloration and effect on the sound"
- emphasis - Controls the amount of dynamic coloration and high values preserve high frequencies, too"
- volume - Output gain, from -oo to +6dB"
- algorithm menu (top) - Select the overall ""machine"""
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

I rarely go beyond 20.00 for speed, 30.00 for action and 40.00 for emphasis. Everything is almost always below those thresholds here.
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry, I wrote those presets in a 0.0-1.0 scale, because that's how I think about parameters, like they are managed internally

So 0.3speed means 30%speed, 1.0 emphasis means 100%emphasis

About new versions: closing AU and then Mac RTAS wrapepr compatibility (to be honest, the problem of compatibility is a wrapper issue, because it wasn't updated, but we decided to go backward and make a special version).
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Off to go make presets lol

*What's odd over here is that I always leave the action at 0. I kind of avoided it because I felt like I was loosing too much fidelity, HOWEVER, I never worried about this when I dumped tracks to my Tascam 38 so I must revisit this feature ASAP!

Hey Quinto, it wouldn't hurt if we all shared a few presets now would it?

Peace
Illumination
Old 19th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Hey Quinto, it wouldn't hurt if we all shared a few presets now would it?
Personally that would help me so much.

Graham
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Posting a simple mix demo video with Roundtone on a multitrack recording. I could export the presets used and post them too... back soon...
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

A video:

Mixing with Roundtone

(song: "La Mia Sola Follia" - Jata projects)
Old 20th May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
I won't tell you to "get them both" - but if you're using AU's, it would serve you (very) well to get the Massey Tapehead (it's FREE) and check it out for a bit before thinking of purchasing a tape-saturation plug. It's a fine plugin. If you want to actually pay for one, I would steer you towards the PSPSaturator for now... but it all depends on how you want to use the plug. Here's a link to the "Massey TapeHead" --

smassey.com

Here's a synopsis of the "full" Tapehead plug (which is only available for PT users - but the AU plug is set at "medium" which is probably where you want it 99% of the time anyway.)

Massey Plugins Inc.

Cheers!
While we're all waiting for the AU, another thing for Logic users is to use Tape Delay with time delay set to 0. Surprise yourself.

..ant
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

About new versions: closing AU and then Mac RTAS wrapepr compatibility (to be honest, the problem of compatibility is a wrapper issue, because it wasn't updated, but we decided to go backward and make a special version).
+1000 for such great engagement on the support side

Thanks in advance Quinto for the Mac / PT crowds out there dying to "round their tones"
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

Trying to go fast

I use myself as a testbench to see if a tool is really useful. I use very few plugins, so if I'm using this one on almost every track it must mean something. This is why we are trying to cover all possible formats as fast as possible...
Old 25th May 2011
Gear Maniac

(Presets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Personally that would help me so much.

Graham
That's why proper documentation incl. v.2 is needed!

The original v1.3 + v2 add docs are too basic...

We need misc. presets for starting points and reference, and proper explanation about how each parameter really works and affects the others and final sound.

For me this is may be the only fault of Roundtone / Presence (less) / Quinto (even less).

all the best,
ave.
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

I'm fairly certain this has been addressed, so sorry for the question again, but I just migrated from XP to Windows 7 64bit. Do I need a new 64bit authorization file for Roundtone and Presence?
Thanks!
Old 26th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
........... I just migrated from XP to Windows 7 64bit. Do I need a new 64bit authorization file for Roundtone and Presence?
Thanks!
Just email Quinto and request the 64bit versions. They are all working perfect for me (Win 7 64, cubase 6 64)
Here you are: [email protected]
All the best,

Graham
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search