The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Is this plugin a hoax? I don't know but this plugin sounds like a simple eq, compressor, and a saturation stage... not exactly like a high end emulation of a real world circuitry, like the uad tape simulation.
Hi,

You're not the first person who's said things like this about plug-ins like Roundtone, VCC or Nebula. Many people actually think they can achieve the same results with those tools when in fact there's a lot more going on 'under the hood', basic principles of sound and how these plug-ins react to signals. Those 3 stages you mentioned are indeed part of the sound of these plug-ins but the relationship between them is way more complex than just a simple path from one to another. What you call 'real world circuitry' is this relationship.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Any idea/request about the first mini-tutorial showing an use of Roundtone (and/or Presence) in mix and master?
(to be distributed with audio and presets and project)

The first one could be on multitrack drums...
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Hi,

You're not the first person who's said things like this about plug-ins like Roundtone, VCC or Nebula. Many people actually think they can achieve the same results with those tools when in fact there's a lot more going on 'under the hood', basic principles of sound and how these plug-ins react to signals. Those 3 stages you mentioned are indeed part of the sound of these plug-ins but the relationship between them is way more complex than just a simple path from one to another. What you call 'real world circuitry' is this relationship.
Is it wrong of me to be mad that you're giving him good advice?
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit View Post
Is it wrong of me to be mad that you're giving him good advice?
There's no reason to be mad
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Head

I'm sure some presets will funnel in over the next few weeks as people dial in Roundtone. There already some responses of settings i'm starting with. I'm gonna purchase Presence today or tomorrow. Now all I need is a nice 1176 and la2aish comp from quintosardo and i'll be set......
hint...hint...
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

la2aish? Did you see on our monitors?
Does [email protected] tell you anything?
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Head

HMM?
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

[email protected]...
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Head

Do you see my name and avatar.... Do you actually think I'll get it!!!!!
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Nut

Question updating

hey Quinto,

version2 works great but to get it work i had to replace version one,
so when i opened an old arrangement the settings changed, is there a way around this?
Possibly to install both versions?
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aves View Post
hey Quinto,

version2 works great but to get it work i had to replace version one,
so when i opened an old arrangement the settings changed, is there a way around this?
Possibly to install both versions?
Renaming the old one to Roundtove_v1.dll should be enough. Be sure to identify presets you save.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrstck View Post
Do you see my name and avatar.... Do you actually think I'll get it!!!!!
Ok, ok,working on this... it still should be a secret...

Tell me about Gates tube limiters
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Head

I figured as much, but i'm sometimes dense... I can rebuild transmissions and engines in cars, but can pick up on a hint.......
I fail!!!!!.
Anyway, that sounds awesome....
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrstck View Post
I figured as much, but i'm sometimes dense... I can rebuild transmissions and engines in cars, but can pick up on a hint.......
I fail!!!!!.
Anyway, that sounds awesome....
Ah ah, you are too severe with yourself
That's a very known device, anyway (I guess)
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Addict
Gotta chip in and say i love Roundtone.
Think the first version was a little more rough, and version two more subtle.
In a good way. May be my ears fooling me to. (newbie as i am)
Betatested the first version but wanted to support, so ended up buying it before it went to v2.
Great job!
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

sorry for the dumb question.....but....

When i download it from the email link, do i RENAME at the time when it askes me to download it? or do i download it as a zip file to my desktop, and THEN rename it after i download it?
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
sorry for the dumb question.....but....

When i download it from the email link, do i RENAME at the time when it askes me to download it? or do i download it as a zip file to my desktop, and THEN rename it after i download it?
I would download first, then change the file extension second. I wouldn't trust windows to get it right.

I have been using v2 alongside Nomad Magnetic. I have to say I like them both (and Magnetic sells for 5x the price!!!). I have a UAD2 card but haven't tried the Studer yet. Haven't even really felt the need to.
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Renaming the old one to Roundtove_v1.dll should be enough. Be sure to identify presets you save.
doesn't work with just renaming, wavelab wil find both, cubase will always just detect one tape plug no matter how i rename them...
what do you mean with identify presets?

thanks anyway,
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aves View Post
doesn't work with just renaming, wavelab wil find both, cubase will always just detect one tape plug no matter how i rename them...
what do you mean with identify presets?

thanks anyway,
If you call v.1 as "Roundtone_v1.dll" and v.2 as "Roundtone.dll" Cubase should show two separate plugins. Then just use the one you want. This makes sense only if you want to use old presets, because v.2 contains v.1 completely.

If you use two versions like that, you should put something in the namefile of saved presets to be able to distinguish them and know what you can load in which version.

I would replace v.1 at all, anyway.
Keep just v.1 (called Roundtone.dll), open old projects, write down settings, close and replace the plugin definitively.
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
If you call v.1 as "Roundtone_v1.dll" and v.2 as "Roundtone.dll" Cubase should show two separate plugins. Then just use the one you want. This makes sense only if you want to use old presets, because v.2 contains v.1 completely.

If you use two versions like that, you should put something in the namefile of saved presets to be able to distinguish them and know what you can load in which version.

I would replace v.1 at all, anyway.
Keep just v.1 (called Roundtone.dll), open old projects, write down settings, close and replace the plugin definitively.
Sorry to bother, but it really doesn't work that way with cubase, at least here. but don't mind.
It's just, i recently mixed a whole record with v1, which i want to tweak a bit further, and i would have liked only to replace some of the stuff with v2, really love the new 7.5 settings and the dirty versions! have to do a lot of wrting if i want to do that... but it's worth it
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

All emails to "razoredge..." are bouncing back.
Not able to delivery.
I'm writing here looking for a contact.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, ok,working on this... it still should be a secret...

Tell me about Gates tube limiters

Errr, that is absolutely amazing. Surprised more people aren't having kittens about it.
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quinto, I don’t know if you got my emails but at some point I asked you if you could implement a very simple IR section into Roundtone with different tapes and Vinyl noises. I’ve gone into unexpected tour again and still didn’t have a chance to put your plugins through real production…I simply can’t wait to get back into my studio heh
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Quinto, I don’t know if you got my emails but at some point I asked you if you could implement a very simple IR section into Roundtone with different tapes and Vinyl noises. I’ve gone into unexpected tour again and still didn’t have a chance to put your plugins through real production…I simply can’t wait to get back into my studio heh
I have to disagree [please let it stay a toneshaper, not an FX machine]

::
Mads
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Why say no to an extra option? Just because you have salt on your table doesn’t mean you have to use on everything
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Why say no to an extra option? Just because you have salt on your table doesn’t mean you have to use on everything
I simply prefer [tidy] plugins meant for a certain task over multi-fx ones, and any updates and extra work should go into making it sound and work better rather than making it do "new things" - but it's of course up to quintosardo to decide!

Mads
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I simply prefer [tidy] plugins meant for a certain task over multi-fx ones, and any updates and extra work should go into making it sound and work better rather than making it do "new things" - but it's of course up to quintosardo to decide!

Mads
I like the new features. Been able to change a whole mix with one action seems a real positive to me.
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I like the new features. Been able to change a whole mix with one action seems a real positive to me.
Just to clarify - I wasn't complaining about the new features

Mads
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear
Really liking Roundtone in combo with R2R on my heinous vocals.
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Logan View Post
Really liking Roundtone in combo with R2R on my heinous vocals.
what is R2R buddy?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search