The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

I’m very curious how one might use this plugin on vocal tracks? Is it possible to create that creamy, slow type compression that is usually associated with tapes?
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Addict

@ Quint & Ruude

Yes, tried it. It's not bad but there seems to be nothing special going on. This isn't a complex virtual circuitry I guess, more like synthmaker modules put together.

But then again some people are having fun and that reminds me of my childhood where all the kids had fun in the sandbox and I was the dumbass outside no one played with. So I am wondering if I am the problem. ^.^
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Addict

I think you may not have played with long enough. Subtle settings on multiple tracks add up in nice way
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
@ Quint & Ruude

Yes, tried it. It's not bad but there seems to be nothing special going on. This isn't a complex virtual circuitry I guess, more like synthmaker modules put together.

But then again some people are having fun and that reminds me of my childhood where all the kids had fun in the sandbox and I was the dumbass outside no one played with. So I am wondering if I am the problem. ^.^
You must have purchased it then? That's interesting...
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Head

This v2 is great !!

It still got everything i loved from the v1, and some more algorithms
i like the new "dirty" ones.

Concerning the oversampling modes, i very often find the normal enough for me
sometimes on some material there's a difference, i don't know if what i hear is the effect of the filter or the benefit of oversampling, but sometimes yes there's a slight difference in Super Q. Not a night and day difference to me.

The bypass option is very cool too. I'm not using the Tape Machine option, but it's the way i work, i don't need it. I'm sure some people here may like it a lot.

Thanks again for this !! very good piece of work.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Quint & Ruude
Yes, tried it.
Why I cannot see you? Did you buy it?

Quote:
It's not bad but there seems to be nothing special going on. This isn't a complex virtual circuitry I guess, more like synthmaker modules put together.
What the hell is synthmaker?

Quote:
No, it smells like another kind of problem, but it makes us start feeling important and dangerous
(Everybody can see how we are open to critics and suggestions, by reading this single thread and the whole story, but this...
I can point you to quite some direct comparisons user have done side-by-side with the one you talk about. Are you available to tell them they are children in a sandbox? Maybe they will look for another job )
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Here is a great demo I got from Sincro Studio in Venice, Italy (thanks!)

It is overdone but it really shows something I like:

no_tape

with_Roundtone.wav
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
What the hell is synthmaker?
"SynthMaker is an audio programming tool that allows anyone to create their own sounds, virtual instruments and effects without having to write any code."

Pretty insulting comment!
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
"SynthMaker is an audio programming tool that allows anyone to create their own sounds, virtual instruments and effects without having to write any code."

Pretty insulting comment!
But some highly skilled developers like Variety of Sound, and G-Sonique does put their own C++ code in it.

Yes, you can write C++ with it, custom modules in fact. Same with SynthEdit.

These developers use these tools to speed up development time and it's easier to put together the GUI it seems.

So soundwise it stays top notch, but the drawback is that it's Windows VST only.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is a great demo I got from Sincro Studio in Venice, Italy (thanks!)

It is overdone but it really shows something I like:

no_tape

with_Roundtone.wav
Me too, softer but in a forceful way!
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
But some highly skilled developers like Variety of Sound, and G-Sonique does put their own C++ code in it.

These developers use these tools to speed up development time and it's easier to put together the GUI it seems.

So soundwise it stays top notch, but the drawback is that it's Windows VST only.
I think Dappolito was hinting at the Module aspect... but anyone who can figure these tools out get my respect either way. I cannot squash any more in my brain, its full of endless episodes of Pepper Pig!!! help me....
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why I cannot see you? Did you buy it?

No, because he blantantly has a cracked copy. What a f*cking tosser. I might be mistaken, and if so, I'm sure he could produce the paypal info & date / time of purchase. He got a cracked plugin, insulted your work and insinuated that you didn't even program it. No wonder he was excluded from the sandpit.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Totally. thumbsup

But the guy clearly meant it in a condescending manner.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Totally. thumbsup

But the guy clearly meant it in a condescending manner.
Sure, that's why I tried to explain him that there are quality SE and SM tools.

Just look at FerricTDS, Sonitex STX-1260, Pultronic EQ-110P and you'll know what I mean.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, that's why I tried to explain him that there are quality SE and SM tools.

Just look at FerricTDS, Sonitex STX-1260, Pultronic EQ-110P and you'll know what I mean.

I do know what you mean
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Head

Thank you so much for version 2!!!!. I was wondering to some of you that have dialed some great subtle to driven sounds if you would be willing to share some presets with me. I've read the owners manual and am still learning my way around what everything does. Thanks...
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you so much for version 2!!!!. I was wondering to some of you that have dialed some great subtle to driven sounds if you would be willing to share some presets with me. I've read the owners manual and am still learning my way around what everything does. Thanks...
I think when it comes to subtle coloration tools it takes time to train your ears to hear what happens and it takes even longer to see if it is an improvement or just a change you could do without. I’m still using latest beta and found plenty of ways to use it on busses and I’m getting some definite improvements there but I’m still struggling to find proper usage for it on vocals and I mean the kind of usage in which I’d clearly hear an improvement. All of that to say is that I’m also very curious to see/hear how other people are employing this tool in their own productions.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

I use it in vocal groups or single vocal tracks to round things up after equalization and compression, i.e., it is my last but one insert in those cases, right before VTM-M2.
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Addict

- I was not excluded from the sandpit, this was just a fun and self-irony comment.
- Synthedit does not equal bad, I know. It depends on the developer.

My point is, that I do not understand the hype about the plugin. And I said it could be me, maybe I am not open to it. This happened to me with NAsty DLA by Variety of Sound, which I now really like but when I first tried it, I did not.

So Quint, what is under the hood? A complex virtual circuitry like Softube does or UAD did with Studer?
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use it in vocal groups or single vocal tracks to round things up after equalization and compression, i.e., it is my last but one insert in those cases, right before VTM-M2.
Interesting! Sometimes I do through in r2r just before Roundtone but I’m not entirely convinced about VTM-M2. What are your preferred settings on vocals in regards to Roundtone? How do you compress things before sending it to Roundtone? Do you find that complementing Roundtone with VTM-M2 is beneficial?
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
- I was not excluded from the sandpit, this was just a fun and self-irony comment.

My point is, that I do not understand the hype about the plugin. And I said it could be me, maybe I am not open to it. This happened to me with NAsty DLA by Variety of Sound, which I now really like but when I first tried it, I did not.

So Quint, what is under the hood? A complex virtual circuitry like Softube does or UAD did with Studer?
Okay, I'll bite. I'll respond as if you are serious. I hope you are. I am.

Read, or scan, the entire thread. See if you can figure out why people are likeing this. Your previous posts make it clear that you have no idea of what's going on here. I don't see hype. Some people don't even like it. Others are blown away. For me, it's a new color.

This is a $20 plug-in that does something unusual. It doesn't replace the other tape plug-ins. It's just different. And there are plenty of audio demos. And it's only $20.

So read the thread. Then post your questions.

It would probably help to appologize for coming off the way you did. Just a suggestion.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rhythm View Post
This is a $20 plug-in that does something unusual. It doesn't replace the other tape plug-ins. It's just different. And there are plenty of audio demos. And it's only $20.
And in addition to that, please don't forget: It's $20.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

In case you missed it, there is a very strong suspicion that you are using a pirated copy of quintosardo's plugin. If you wanna steal the guy's work and then come in a public forum and badmouth it, don't expect to be greeted warmly. No one is under any obligation to explain things to you or turn you on to a plugin you already have because you stole it. The guy worked hard on this thing! If you don't see the problem with what you're doing here, you truly are somewhat of a sociopath.

That said, if you wanna demonstrate that you are a legitimate owner please do so and I'll retract my statement.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Why would someone stoop so low as to steal a $20 ($10 intro) piece of software.

That is just sad.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sent again to the new address. Waiting for feedback

@Dappolito: did you try the plugin?
Got it

Thank you very much
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent28 View Post
Why would someone stoop so low as to steal a $20 ($10 intro) piece of software.

That is just sad.

Because they have absolutely no morals or shame. I was speaking to Michael from CDSM about his plug being cracked this week - there are more entries for the crack in google than actual reviews - what the hell is that all about then? I've been doing a lot of researching into a certain cracking team lately, I'm 99.9% sure they are regular contributors on GS. One of the crackers has come under scrutiny before for grossly misrepresenting themselves on here. Sorry for de-railing the thread, but these bastards piss me off. I like how that guy defended the sand-pit comment, but didn't even acknowledge the cracking accusation. Ban him from contributing I say.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

How strange... Dappolito got really quiet all of a sudden.
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post

Interesting! Sometimes I do through in r2r just before Roundtone but I’m not entirely convinced about VTM-M2. What are your preferred settings on vocals in regards to Roundtone? How do you compress things before sending it to Roundtone? Do you find that complementing Roundtone with VTM-M2 is beneficial?
I use to run everything through R2R + TapeBooster before equalization and compression. My regular chain now is Console + R2R + TapeBooster + EQ + Comp + Roundtone + VTM-M2, sometimes I use VTM-M2 right after TapeBooster, it really depends on the source. VTM-M2 shines after Roundtone when I need that final touch of natural compression (of course, in this case I only use soft or medium algos in Roundtone). I tend to spend a lot of time getting more controlled dynamics with items' envelopes in REAPER right before processing. This result determines the chain I'm gonna use and the order of FXs. Roundtone has a perfect name, it's all about tonal balance, it's up to you where to 'put' that balance in your chain. Presence is another FX I've been working with in a couple of mixes. In this case I've found that it does its best in groups or buses to balance a good result if it's needed.

I don't have specific settings for anything, I process all my tracks as unique elements in context, i.e., I just move knobs/sliders and stop when I hear something I like
Old 17th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I use to run everything through R2R + TapeBooster before equalization and compression. My regular chain now is Console + R2R + TapeBooster + EQ + Comp + Roundtone + VTM-M2, sometimes I use VTM-M2 right after TapeBooster, it really depends on the source. VTM-M2 shines after Roundtone when I need that final touch of natural compression (of course, in this case I only use soft or medium algos in Roundtone). I tend to spend a lot of time getting more controlled dynamics with items' envelopes in REAPER right before processing. This result determines the chain I'm gonna use and the order of FXs. Roundtone has a perfect name, it's all about tonal balance, it's up to you where to 'put' that balance in your chain. Presence is another FX I've been working with in a couple of mixes. In this case I've found that it does its best in groups or buses to balance a good result if it's needed.
Thanks for this. Good info... Is VTM-m2 a Nebula library?
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-sharp View Post
Thanks for this. Good info... Is VTM-m2 a Nebula library?
Hi,

May I ask you for a favor? Please let's take that question to this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...chine-vst.html

I think it would be more appropriate to discuss it there.

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search