The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
You don't need both version. Latest version is preset compatible with the old one.
We had to release the load-old-presets feature because linking modes required parameters re-ordering. But you can copy them, the versions are completely the same as far as you use the same parts (mix 100% wet, same algos, no oversample).
You don't need the old one.
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Quinto i don't understand one thing. Here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6205671-post211.html i see that knobs are perfectly aligned but in version you sent to me MIX knob is slightly above everything and it seems weird so to speak..Like i am drunk. Is that some kind of error on my plugin? I would really like to see everything aligned. I know it sounds like i am whining but i am not i am just asking. I still didn't have time to test new sound properly but overall i like new features apart from de aligned MIX knob on my version..
The snapshots you see around were from an intermediate test version.
The one you have is the right one.
Why one raised knob?
It is to keep it apart from real parameters. I never use it and it is very important to have it in evidence. It is NOT part of the model, just sample aligned parallel processing.
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry for the weird renaming system.

We promised fast (?) distribution, but we had a very hard time compiling and sending, not counting "Presence" plugin at the same time.

So we developed a whole compiling and mailing automated system, while I realized that I couldn't click and download files without a known extension on it. So we choose .zip. It is weird and a bit confusing, but it cannot harm and it was just for these two days.
But... we delivered...

(missing mails apart, but that is another common story, checking now...)
Old 13th February 2011
Administrator

Hi Quinto,
I still didn't receive Roundtone V2 yet!

Graham
Old 13th February 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the hard work, Quinto!
Old 13th February 2011
Administrator

Hi all,
Has anyone else had problems with the new version of Roundtone?
I cannot see it in Cubase.
I can see Roundtone v1 when i replace it, i also have presence and i can see that as well.
I'm a bit cinfused now.
The link i was provided was already for a .dll file so all i had to do was rename it to Roundtone.
I didn't have to change from a zip file like i did with Presence.(i have already checked)
Can anyone shed some light on this?
I've contacted Quinto already, i just want to check if i am doing something incorrectly or did anyone else have this issue?

Graham
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Can you choose not to link i.e. gain in a multi-track as the levels may vary

Matti
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Gain is never linked!
Old 13th February 2011
Gear Nut

Same problem over here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Hi all,
Has anyone else had problems with the new version of Roundtone?
I cannot see it in Cubase.
I can see Roundtone v1 when i replace it, i also have presence and i can see that as well.
I'm a bit cinfused now.
The link i was provided was already for a .dll file so all i had to do was rename it to Roundtone.
I didn't have to change from a zip file like i did with Presence.(i have already checked)
Can anyone shed some light on this?
I've contacted Quinto already, i just want to check if i am doing something incorrectly or did anyone else have this issue?

Graham

I have the same issue, cubase5 on two systems doesn't recognize it when i put it into the vst folder?
any solutions so far?
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Aha, the video some pages back misled me, thanks!

Matti
Old 13th February 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aves View Post
I have the same issue, cubase5 on two systems doesn't recognize it when i put it into the vst folder?
any solutions so far?
Hi Michael,
I posted a fix earlier today, here is the link:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...y-windows.html

Although i cant get version 2 to work.(it maybe a bad link, a separate issue)

Hope this helps you out!

Graham
Old 13th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Hi Michael,
I posted a fix earlier today, here is the link:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...y-windows.html

Although i cant get version 2 to work.(it maybe a bad link, a separate issue)

Hope this helps you out!

Graham
Thanks a lot graham!
Unfortunatly putting it in the system folder doesn'T seem to be solving the roundtone problem.
Tryd it on laptop with xp professional and on my studio pc with win7 both 32bit...

thanks again anyway michael
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

All new licenses sent out now!

@aves: could you please send an email so that I can identify your copy and check it?
Thanks
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
All new licenses sent out now!

@aves: could you please send an email so that I can identify your copy and check it?
Thanks
Found the problem, was clearly shown as .dll like all the other plugs but was still a zip, didn't know about the not- showing-the-extension-only-for-known-formats thing.

But thanks for the help anyway and amazing plug by the waythumbsup.
have been carefully but extensivly using it for a record i'm mixing right now, and it really shines if you start using it on a lot of tracks.i like to use it subtle, as i found it's possible to overdo it quickly and gainstaging is very important.
so the new features like the over led and remote possibilities come in very, very useful!

Great Job!
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Addict

Anyone having trouble getting your DAW to recognize the plugin, You'll need to uncheck "hide known file extension type" so you can properly rename the file.
You do this by by clicking Tools>Folder Options>View>...
cheers
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quint. What are the various tape machine modes based on, A B C and D ?

I run this thing on some heavy electric guitars and it really seems to add some harmonics and , for want of a better word....some "crunch" to them? I dont understand it, but I like it !
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Tape Machines A, B, C, D are NOT different sounds, they are "gangs". Select the same machine for a set of tracks you want sound on the same machine (shared set of parameters).

Sounds vary with "algorithm" (30ips Hard and so on).

"Dirty" modes generate much more harmonics.

For crunchy guitars I like 7.5ips Dirty.
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

If I am not mistaken, does the dirty 7.5 mode seem louder compard to the
others? I know it has more harmonics, but I think I hear a level difference.
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe there is a difference of level, that wasn't critical like matching levels between oversampling modes (because it could mess the mix when oversampling only on export).
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Quinto, i send you a mail yesterday.

Still haven't received version 2

Thanks
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Alxi,
I've seen a message rejected by the server.
I've sent an email saying this, no answer. Could you please check your spam box?
I'm not able to talk to you by email!
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

@Alxi: still no communication!

Sending some copies now...
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
@Alxi: still no communication!

Sending some copies now...
I just send you a PM with the right info

Thanks
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Addict

Is this plugin a hoax? I don't know but this plugin sounds like a simple eq, compressor, and a saturation stage... not exactly like a high end emulation of a real world circuitry, like the uad tape simulation.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Is this plugin a hoax? I don't know but this plugin sounds like a simple eq, compressor, and a saturation stage... not exactly like a high end emulation of a real world circuitry, like the uad tape simulation.
Oh hello, Dappolito.

Did you try the plugin?

Maybe it's not for you, but it's certainly not a hoax and I don't regret spending $10 on it
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit View Post
Oh hello, Dappolito.

Did you try the plugin?

Maybe it's not for you, but it's certainly not a hoax and I don't regret spending $10 on it
Even at $99 it would be more than worth it. Add another great flavour to my arsenal.
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
Even at $99 it would be more than worth it. Add another great flavour to my arsenal.
You have even more flavor (more possibilities) with a freely configurable compressor, eq, and a good saturation plugin. Maybe the problem is, that you have to configre them yourself (with more knobs) instead of relying on a mostly pre-defined behavior. Sorry for my negativity, if I am wrong, please let me know.

Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
You have even more flavor (more possibilities) with a freely configurable compressor, eq, and a good saturation plugin. Maybe the problem is, that you have to configre them yourself (with more knobs) instead of relying on a mostly pre-defined behavior. Sorry for my negativity, if I am wrong, please let me know.

Well, I know how to use an EQ or COMP or whatever saturation unit so I don't need some easy "preset plugin" or whatever. Mind you, I have lot of great tools from Softube, Waves, SoundToys, elysia, Slate Digital and such.

At work I also used HQ tools like the UAD Massive Passive and UAD Studer A800, and I can tell you that this plugin, no matter what it costs, have nothing to envy from the "big boys" tools.

I use them all when I think they sound best, and in some case, Roundtone sounded best. Combined with Presence from the same company on the master it even do wonders.

But I have to recognize that it doesn't work everytime like any other plugin, and yes, I miss the UAD plugins (only MP, Studer and 33609)...
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito

Did you try the plugin?
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
I just send you a PM with the right info

Thanks
Sent again to the new address. Waiting for feedback

@Dappolito: did you try the plugin?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search