The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ektia View Post
Have you tried UAD's Studer?

Have you tried Nebula's R2R?
No, i dont have a UAD card. I havent tried anything Nebula. Dont all thier stuff mostly made with impulse responses?

I really like this one (ROUNDTONE) mainly cause its not an impulse response, and its coded from the ground up.

I remember a couple years ago i went on a quest of trying to find a decent Tape Sim, and i gave up cause they all sucked. Everything seemed like it was simply a distortion effect with a hi-freq roll off EQ........nothing more.

Roundtone however, is dynamic.....and it does add some girth and excitement with it. It actually sounds alive, rather just a flat blanket effect that most other plugins do....
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Nut

Has anyone tried to compare roundtone to airwindows "to tape"(AU only). I have been demoing "to tape" and think it sounds fantastic. If roundtone is in the same ballpark as "to tape" I may end up getting both.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
No, i dont have a UAD card. I havent tried anything Nebula. Dont all thier stuff mostly made with impulse responses?
It's not really an "impulse response" or your average convolution. Nebula is capable of multiple live streaming Kernels which are applied to packets of very detailed sampled data that include dynamic changes, harmonic distortion, frequency, and so on and so forth. It's not just an impulse response or "static" so to speak but truly dynamic and signal dependent. All of these groups of data intricately morph with one another compositing a "full picture" or conveying the sound and characteristic of an analog counterpart.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

after readin about R2R, the creator of that library did mention that R2R doesnt measure any compression characteristics. Only EQ and saturation.

read that on the KVR forum....
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yes that's right and don't forget phase too along with eq and harmonics. "Dynamic" here is to indicate the changes of hardware response at different signal levels and not necessarily peak, transient or signal compression. It's a non-static true response to program material. Eventually this will be improved on as well to really give the user a comprehensive library. The actual compressor libraries are advancing as we speak so it can all only get better from here.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

does anyone have an idea of what kind of signal levels this plugin likes to take in/work at?

Like if the incoming signal is -6dbfs peak, is that too strong of a signal for this thing? Is there an optimal incoming level we should be aiming for for this guy?
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
does anyone have an idea of what kind of signal levels this plugin likes to take in/work at?

Like if the incoming signal is -6dbfs peak, is that too strong of a signal for this thing? Is there an optimal incoming level we should be aiming for for this guy?
Ide love to know the answer to that as well!
Ive herd that plugins are better when at 0 or close to it. but ive herd the opposite as well
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

heres another "before/after" mix.

This time, i wanted to see what happens when you lower the ACTION button.

30IPS HARD
Input/output: 12:00 noon
speed: default load setting 30%
Action:25%
emphasis: cranked all the way!

*The guitars ive taken the action all the way down (lowest settings), the rest of the tracks are at 25%

Same mix/song.....but different settings than last time. Instead of warming up the mix, im trying to get a more excited/saturated brighter sound.
Attached Files

1-5-30ipsmix_44-16.mp3 (5.55 MB, 494 views)

1-5-noroundmix_44-16.mp3 (5.55 MB, 407 views)

Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Resulting input level (I mean input signal after input knob) should be below 0dBfs. Added an overload led to v.2.
The harmonic enhancement is a "tape" one, subtle but there.
When I need an explicit brightness and "excited" strong sound I use Fulltone (still in test stage, will change the name) _before_ Roundtone.
As an example, it has been heavily overdone on the master in the song "Idra" here: Plootoh on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos for the (today) classic hyper-fatiguing sound stike
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Yes that's right and don't forget phase too along with eq and harmonics. "Dynamic" here is to indicate the changes of hardware response at different signal levels and not necessarily peak, transient or signal compression. It's a non-static true response to program material. Eventually this will be improved on as well to really give the user a comprehensive library. The actual compressor libraries are advancing as we speak so it can all only get better from here.
I've actually been beta-testing the new tape stuff for Michael - it sounds incredible. I could happilly use any of these new tape sims, especially alongside the Nebula R2R stuff. We've been spoiled!
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Addict

when the new version will be available?
Old 28th January 2011
Administrator

Hi fradoca, here is a post from quinto earlier this week

"An update:

- the new multitrack and oversampling version should be ready for beta testing before the end of this week
- the introductory price will be active until the release of the new version
- the new version will be free for users registered before the release of the new one

The following Mac version will be the new multitrack version. It will be free for users registered for the Win version (on request).

A video showing the multitrack and synchronization performances of the "Tape Machines" should be ready soon "

So maybe today?
Lookin forward to it whenever it comes.

Graham
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
heres another "before/after" mix.

This time, i wanted to see what happens when you lower the ACTION button.

30IPS HARD
Input/output: 12:00 noon
speed: default load setting 30%
Action:25%
emphasis: cranked all the way!

*The guitars ive taken the action all the way down (lowest settings), the rest of the tracks are at 25%

Same mix/song.....but different settings than last time. Instead of warming up the mix, im trying to get a more excited/saturated brighter sound.
Nice example!

I find that things sound better when "action" is kept low..otherwise it rolls off too much high end.
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I received my Roundtone download via email this morning. However, Norton is identifying the file as a security threat, and is immediately deleting it during the downloading process. I am therefore unable to get the file. Here is the message I receive from Norton:

Risk Impact: HighSystems Affected: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

I'm guessing that because so few Norton's users have encountered this file, Norton is suspicious. I'd be inclined to just go ahead and install it anyway, but Norton is immediately deleting the file upon download (and it therefore never reaches my hard drive). Perhaps I should turn Norton off to let the download go through? Or am I being too trusting? Has anyone else had this issue come up?
Old 28th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ektia View Post
Perhaps I should turn Norton off to let the download go through? Or am I being too trusting? Has anyone else had this issue come up?
Yes, best to turn Norton off. Better yet deinstall it and use some useful antivirus protection.. there are even free ones that are better than Norton in all regards (Avira, MSE, etc...).
The file is surely not dangerous.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

The file is tested here before and by Norton antivirus during mailing.
.dll have a bad name, so many mail servers and antivirus reject them or alert the user.
If you cannot use it, please send an email to my address. I'll send it zipped and scrambled (this makes it more easily accepted).
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t View Post
Yes, best to turn Norton off. Better yet deinstall it and use some useful antivirus protection.. there are even free ones that are better than Norton in all regards (Avira, MSE, etc...).
The file is surely not dangerous.
+1
As a previous I.T "pro", I wouldn't touch Norton with a barge-pole.
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

7.5ips and a special "dirt" algorithm added to heh
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Head

Great to see new algos !!!
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

I've been having some difficulties with my domaine. Any way i can get the new version mailed to my hotmail adress ??
Old 29th January 2011
waiting with anticipation of the Mac AU release. Any time soon?
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
I've been having some difficulties with my domaine. Any way i can get the new version mailed to my hotmail adress ??
Just send an email referring to the email the payment came from, the new address, your name
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax View Post
waiting with anticipation of the Mac AU release. Any time soon?
No AU, just Mac VST!
It's the step after this new win 2.x.y version. Maybe two weeks...
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Addict

can't wait to get my ears on the new win version.
Please release it soon!!!

grazie cumpà heh
Old 30th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
No AU, just Mac VST!
oh.... so no Mac AU? Bummer...
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well, after a couple days of messing with this plugin, I've come to a cross road.

On one path, this plugin defiantly exhibits some warm analog flavor. It does exactly what it claims to do, comprsses the signal while adding some grit and blurring the high end frequencies. It cures the so called "digititus" and warms up the sound while glueing things together. It may be subtle on a single track, but when you add them to all tracks..... It's a night and day difference.

On the other hand, I feel as if it compresses the signal too much to be called "subtle". Even when lowering the gain and lowering the action knob, it seems to always compress more than I want and can't seem to get rid of the over-compression. Trying to set this plugin to not compress at all seems impossible. It has this "blanket thrown over the speaker" effect that I can't seem to get rid of.

It does sound good, if your going for a vintage analog vibe for sure, it does that very well. It's an amazing plugin. But for a modern rock vibe, I simply can't have this thing on my tracks cause it's sucking all the brightness, spank, chime and making it a dull/flat mix.

Anyways, take it as constructive criticism. I still love this plugin. I just wish I can dial it in to be even more subtle. Ill use it when I think the need for it arises, but I don't think I want this on every track/instrument.
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you bryan k

Hard algorithms, with a low input level, compensated by output level, leave the signal almost untouched (the new overload led helps with this). Low action is important, too.

The new mix knob should help setting the amount of effect to a lower level when needed.

On the other side, the new oversampled mode helps while looking for more harmonics (you can push it harder)...

Thank you very much for great demo and feedback :D
Old 30th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
No AU, just Mac VST!
great I will buy the mac vst
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Ive tried the low input/higher output to compensate, along with the action knob all the way down. It still compresses.....

Especially on a high transient track (snare or hi hat), ive tried this trick and it still compresses the signal by 1.5-2db.

Indeed a MIX knob would be wonderful......cant wait to try that out.....
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, after a couple days of messing with this plugin, I've come to a cross road.

On one path, this plugin defiantly exhibits some warm analog flavor. It does exactly what it claims to do, comprsses the signal while adding some grit and blurring the high end frequencies. It cures the so called "digititus" and warms up the sound while glueing things together. It may be subtle on a single track, but when you add them to all tracks..... It's a night and day difference.

On the other hand, I feel as if it compresses the signal too much to be called "subtle". Even when lowering the gain and lowering the action knob, it seems to always compress more than I want and can't seem to get rid of the over-compression. Trying to set this plugin to not compress at all seems impossible. It has this "blanket thrown over the speaker" effect that I can't seem to get rid of.

It does sound good, if your going for a vintage analog vibe for sure, it does that very well. It's an amazing plugin. But for a modern rock vibe, I simply can't have this thing on my tracks cause it's sucking all the brightness, spank, chime and making it a dull/flat mix.

Anyways, take it as constructive criticism. I still love this plugin. I just wish I can dial it in to be even more subtle. Ill use it when I think the need for it arises, but I don't think I want this on every track/instrument.
Perhaps give it a try in parallel?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search