The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Addict

Old 24th January 2011
Gear Head

Hi Quintosardo.

I am still waiting for the download link,payed 4 days ago and cant wait to give this plugin a try so please...
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi MarKatz,
I think you overlooked the anouncement on the website!
We've been closed for heavy restructuration.
Everything is up and running again, now.
You should have received the software now or you are going to receive it in a few minutes
Thank you for your support.
Quinto
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Head

Got it,thanks a lot
will post my review soon

Cheers
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

All licenses have been sent up to 10 mins ago.
It is still the first version, you'll receive the new upcoming version after the tests.
Thank you for your patience, we have completed our restructuring and everything is up and running again
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Head

well, I have not received my update yet...
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

Still first version testing the new one!
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

An update:

- the new multitrack and oversampling version should be ready for beta testing before the end of this week
- the introductory price will be active until the release of the new version
- the new version will be free for users registered before the release of the new one

The following Mac version will be the new multitrack version. It will be free for users registered for the Win version (on request).

A video showing the multitrack and synchronization performances of the "Tape Machines" should be ready soon
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Nice man!
Old 25th January 2011
Administrator

Thanks Quinto!thumbsup

Graham
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Listened to the audio demos from the website......VERY IMPRESSED!

Question to all the users: are you finding it more useful on all individual tracks, or slapping one instance on your master buss?

Only reason is ask, is would i get the same results if i put once instance on every track (same exact settings) versus just puting once instance on the master buss?

*listening to the website demo called

arrangement
(dry, tracks effected, master effected, master emphasis, dry)

....and it sounds to me like you get the most impact by just using it on the master buss.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

Be careful, in that demo the effect is on single tracks AND on master bus!
So you have the most effect in the "master" part, because it is on the tracks, too.

I personally prefer to process the single tracks, even though I found myself using it just in mastering (on master bus), in a pair of songs.

The new upcoming version will be even more suitable for the master, because of oversampling preserving from any subtle aliasing even when pushed hard.
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just read your manual from your website, and one thing i dont quite understand......

The settings for HARD/MEDIUM/SOFT.

If I set it to be HARD, does that mean the transients will remain mostly intact, coming out Harder/stronger? or does it mean its compressing Harder....taking away more transients?
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear
Looking forward to the update. Love it in its current incarnation.
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
Just read your manual from your website, and one thing i dont quite understand......

The settings for HARD/MEDIUM/SOFT.

If I set it to be HARD, does that mean the transients will remain mostly intact, coming out Harder/stronger? or does it mean its compressing Harder....taking away more transients?
It is in the "compression curve" sense. Soft is more gradual (less "headroom"), hard is less gradual (more "headroom"). Hard should give more harmonics if pushed hard. But be careful to avoid overloading it. The new version includes an OL led, to be sure to get the effect, not some digital overload.
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

so, mac version is almost there? or is it already? (can't see on your website)
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Listened to the audio demos from the website......VERY IMPRESSED!

Question to all the users: are you finding it more useful on all individual tracks, or slapping one instance on your master buss?

Only reason is ask, is would i get the same results if i put once instance on every track (same exact settings) versus just puting once instance on the master buss?

*listening to the website demo called

arrangement
(dry, tracks effected, master effected, master emphasis, dry)

....and it sounds to me like you get the most impact by just using it on the master buss.
I have found no use for it on the master buss. On individual tracks (kick, snare, guitars, bass) it has been excellent
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
It is in the "compression curve" sense. Soft is more gradual (less "headroom"), hard is less gradual (more "headroom"). Hard should give more harmonics if pushed hard. But be careful to avoid overloading it. The new version includes an OL led, to be sure to get the effect, not some digital overload.
Would you suggest a basic settings for this so it doesnt use so much compression (doesnt squash a snare)?

I just went to your site, bought it! Im stoked to go try it out tonight!

I want to use it on existing mixes where i have everything leveled out perfectly....im afraid if i place this on every track...its going to alter the mix a bit. So any suggestion on setting so it doesnt alter the mix with alot of compression, but does add some color/harmonics would be super!
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

For a subtle compression:

- hard mode (any, gets more "headroom")
- low input (absolute, depends on your original signal level)
- compensate level with output (get about the same perceived level with tape on or off)
- try speed about 20% (move it slightly looking for a snap on frequencies)
- action about 20%
- full emphasis

Move input and compensate with output looking for the best compression for that track
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
so, mac version is almost there? or is it already? (can't see on your website)
Almoooost (o's depend on new version testing efforts, mainly)
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

whats the expected time for a download link after purchase?

I know you guys had a hiatus time out last week....but i dont know if you all are back in the swing of things again or there is still a wait period to get the download....
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
whats the expected time for a download link after purchase?

I know you guys had a hiatus time out last week....but i dont know if you all are back in the swing of things again or there is still a wait period to get the download....
It's not automated and they are in Europe, so there's a small lag time if you're ordering from the US. In my case it was just a few hours, though.
Old 26th January 2011
Administrator

Yeah i received an email the following morning after ordering late the previous night.

Graham
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

damn....the man is fast!

Got my email just now. Ill tinker with this baby tonight and post some audio examples soon.....
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

ok, so i did some tinkering tonight......

Liking this plug-in!!!! Ive attached 2 mixes, one with ROUNDTONE, one without. The one with roundtone has the following setting on all tracks....

30ips HARD, *Gain/Volume at NOON, Speed at default setting 30%, Emphasis all the way up cranked.

*Snare and Hi Hat had the Volume boosted a slight bit to compensate for the compression, maybe 5% was added.

- The mixes are low in volume/shine/gloss,........ not yet Mastered.

NOTE: this plugin is VERY TAPE. Can darken the material quickly, and compress it quickly.....its not as subtle as one might think. It will Thicken your mix! Its subtle when you apply it to a single track/few tracks.......but it adds up quickly. Your best bet is to "mix into it" rather than slap it on a mix after wards.

verdict: IM LOVIN' IT....it really is "BBQ chicken good!"
Attached Files

1-5_30mix44-16.mp3 (5.66 MB, 339 views)

1-5_noroundmix44-16.mp3 (5.66 MB, 322 views)

Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

Bryan K! Chalk and Cheese! amazing.
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

@bryan k: U...u..uahuuu!
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Head

Very nice, and unusual, and informative. heh

So far, I have used it more subtly than you did. And I start with the gain at about 11 o'clock.
Old 27th January 2011
Lives for gear

The one thing i did notice right way, is how it darkens the sound quite a bit. Even with the Emphasis on full blast trying to retain my hi freq's, it still was an obvious hi freq roll off or shelving. The hard panned rhythm guitars you can tell it muddied them up big time.

I was hoping at 30IPS that it wouldn't darken the sound that much.

But over all, this is the best Tape Sim ive tried yet.......
Old 27th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
But over all, this is the best Tape Sim ive tried yet.......
Have you tried UAD's Studer?

Have you tried Nebula's R2R?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search