The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electro Harmonix Freeze Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Electro Harmonix Freeze

Favorite moment of this video: the cellphone rings, is not acknowledged, and nobody did a second take.

Rock and roll!

I love these guys.

The pedal seems suited to my aesthetic and I'm interested in it. I can see several applications for live use. Turning your guitar into a sustain organ drone... there are musical situations where this might be cool.

I can't figure out how they remove the attack from the sound, though. I guess I'll have to find out myself.

- c
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Electro Harmonix Freeze

Put a volume pedal after it or maybe a pigtronix attack/release.

Looks like something I've always wanted. The hold function from a dd-5 without the delay.

Matthews is such a ridiculous character.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I liked that he quite admiably and progressively included gays in his outreach just as the cellphone rang.

- c
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Good video.

Great product idea.

Samples of use with a bass would be nice. The sustained tone sounds a little glitchy and whiny, which is not necessarily bad, but I'd like to hear it with bass to judge the tone of the unit.

Very interested in this thing
Old 22nd December 2010
ValhallaDSP

Mike Matthews is a freaking hero of mine. He was putting out WEIRDO effects in the 1970's, and has gone back to doing WEIRDO effects today. Matthews also had the good sense to hire David Cockerell, designer of the EMS Synthi VCS3/AKS, and has put him to work on both analog circuits (Small Stone, Microsynth) and digital products (16-Second Delay, HOG/POG, presumably the Freeze).

I have a MicroPOG, which is so glitch-free that it is stunning.

And need I mention the mighty Big Muff Pi? Seriously.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

is that a stain on the middle of his wife beater? LOL
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Sweet vids.

I'm still curious as to what it would sound like on a low bass note, rather than in a chord-and-solo setting. The guitar vids have got that covered.

How "organic" will the tone of the pedal be on a low note?
Old 23rd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Sweet vids.

I'm still curious as to what it would sound like on a low bass note, rather than in a chord-and-solo setting. The guitar vids have got that covered.

How "organic" will the tone of the pedal be on a low note?
I wondered the same thing but went ahead and bought the pedal anyway. With a Precision Bass and Ampeg SVT, the Freeze sounded great on low notes; I didn't really hear any difference between the original note and the sustained version. As long as you time the pedal correctly, the freeze function works really well.
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Sweet! Very glad to hear that.

Cheers.
Old 23rd December 2010
t_d
Lives for gear

sorry to hijack the thread.. but, i love the idea of this Pigtronix attack/sustain pedal.. but it looks like it's discontinued and nothing on ebay right now. are there any other pedals that do a similar thing... get a SLOOOWWWW attack automatically, w/o the need of a volume pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
Put a volume pedal after it or maybe a pigtronix attack/release.

Looks like something I've always wanted. The hold function from a dd-5 without the delay.

Matthews is such a ridiculous character.
Old 23rd December 2010
t_d
Lives for gear

hmm.. looks almost perfect..but by listening to the demos doesnt sound like the attack is very long... the pigtronix really had a nice slow attack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl View Post
Old 24th December 2010
Here for the gear

i love electroharmonix, i have the hog and it has the same freeze function
i tried pluggin my lap top to it with some glitches and beats and it sounds insane.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Electro Harmonix Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d
sorry to hijack the thread.. but, i love the idea of this Pigtronix attack/sustain pedal.. but it looks like it's discontinued and nothing on ebay right now. are there any other pedals that do a similar thing... get a SLOOOWWWW attack automatically, w/o the need of a volume pedal?

Yep, the boss slow gear was the original ineffective version of that pedal. Buildyourownclone.com makes a copy of it last time I checked. You could always just use a volume pedal after it too just requires a bit more foot work
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search