The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outboardanywhere.com launches (use automated studio outboard over the net) Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Outboardanywhere.com launches (use automated studio outboard over the net)

Hello gang!

I'm pleased to announce that I've just launched my cute little idea outboardanywhere.com!

I have on and off during a few years developed a uniform outboard automation system that can control any type studio outboard gear from a computer.
I recently put together a web I/O system which makes it possible to use the outboard gear over the internet.

Features:
Gear: Neve 2254a vintage, Solid State Logic G384, Vertigo Sound VSC-2, Urei 1176 (revD), Vintage Design CL1 mk1, Neve 1073 reissue
Converter: lynx aurora
Cloud/CDN Backend
Maximum file lenght: 8 min
Minimum turnaround time: 8 min (for short mono files)

UPDATE.. Stereo file support added, (sorry it took so long) now you can run whole mixes through easier)
Vid added, sorry it just got further and further down on the TODO list

Last edited by FredrikCarno; 7th June 2011 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Stereo file now supported, finally did a quick vid for it :)
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

Sounds interesting. Read the FAQ and some questions pops to mind; if I'd like 1176 and then directly to a 1073 in a chain, do I pay double? A small video tutorial how it works from both ends would be useful and probably sell your idea even better
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

:)

Thanks will put the video tut on the to do list The backend can't handle chained uses at this time..
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

tried it, like it. with some webcam to tweak it online it would be my goto online tool )
Old 19th December 2010
is this basically sending a .wav file and having it run thru analogue gear?

whats the 'backend' and uniform automation system? are you just referring to the website processing the ordeR?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

sounds interesting!

will check next week

Two things:

- MONO files only? (Hmm..not good in case I'd like to process an entire mix through the e.g. Vertigo)
- it will be pretty hard to "process" without pre listening. This will mean 4, 5, 9 or 18 tries until things might fit (?) ok, I could live with that..

third thing: 4min max? always?

I wonder about the "automate" thing aswell!!! How the heck is this possible?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilsaj View Post
tried it, like it. with some webcam to tweak it online it would be my goto online tool )
Glad you like it thanks This first version has it's limitations regarding feedback of the choosen setting.. The next version that's well underway programming wise will let you have real time audible feedback within your favorite daw of your setting, that like half a year or so away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
is this basically sending a .wav file and having it run thru analogue gear?

whats the 'backend' and uniform automation system? are you just referring to the website processing the ordeR?
Correct..

In order to make the buttons and eventually sliders move (when I convert lexicon 224xl) I created a uniform automation system that can be built onto the outboard gear itself. This lets the buttons to be controlled from a computer. Another part of this versions backend is the automatic file handeling system, but you yourself has to upload the file via the webpage but that will change

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post

Two things:

- MONO files only? (Hmm..not good in case I'd like to process an entire mix through the e.g. Vertigo)
- it will be pretty hard to "process" without pre listening. This will mean 4, 5, 9 or 18 tries until things might fit (?) ok, I could live with that..

third thing: 4min max? always?

I wonder about the "automate" thing aswell!!! How the heck is this possible?

Mono files due to the way I was forced to implement the backend. However dual mono is the next thing to be done. but that entails that my system splits the stereo into to mono and run then seperatly through the outboard and you receive to mono files back to you via my content delivery system..

If you're not happy with what the system has output just contact helpdesk and we see what we can do

4 minutes is also built in to the backend right now if there is a need from people to have longer audio files it's easy to change for me

The actual workings of the my automation system I like to keep a company secret right now.. but it has entaild a lot of custom programming and cnc milling :
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Outboardanywhere.com launches (use automated studio outboard over the net)

I applaud. Well done I know it's not an easy task, A few years ago i had the idea to replace plugins with real process. The concept was that the home user get's a series of plugins modeled after specific gear, and when you are satisfied with the tweaks and sounds, the wav's gets processed through the net, on the real deal.
I shopped around to a few major plugins companies but they were skeptical.
I hope your project prove them wrong.
Good luck
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting concept.

- c
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply Fredrik!

I will give it a test drive within the next 2 days or so. The concept is ..well.. truly amazing!

Could it be that once it gets popular, people will have to wait for days or WEEKS to get the files back,
since the gear is constantly in use? hahah!

Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
I applaud. Well done I know it's not an easy task, A few years ago i had the idea to replace plugins with real process. The concept was that the home user get's a series of plugins modeled after specific gear, and when you are satisfied with the tweaks and sounds, the wav's gets processed through the net, on the real deal.
I shopped around to a few major plugins companies but they were skeptical.
I hope your project prove them wrong.
Good luck
interesting indeed. It's been a massive workload. I have a little different approach on the real time feedback but I feel I can't reveal info at this time to avoid the usual hype about stuff that doesn't exist yet that is oh so common in these parts of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Interesting concept.

- c
Thank you, I think an interesting aspect of the idea is a democratic one.. A person in a developing country in say africa can use this gear as easily as person in the developed world due to the low price per use

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
Thanks for the reply Fredrik!

I will give it a test drive within the next 2 days or so. The concept is ..well.. truly amazing!

Could it be that once it gets popular, people will have to wait for days or WEEKS to get the files back,
since the gear is constantly in use? hahah!

Hehe

when a certain user amount is reached I close the open signup until I expand, mabye with invitation only or something like that havn't thought about it in that way before. It must be usable with low wait time to make it truly interesting I think
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Frederik, I can not believe you started this. The same idea came to me few months ago, and I spoke to a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer about whether its possible to do something like that: an automated mastering studio controlled over web in real time. After discussing it with him for a while we concluded that it is very much possible, only takes some portion of money and time to work on it (we dont have neiher of the two).

Im pretty excited about checking your site and I would like to try it as soon as possible.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just visited your site and I saw the procedure. Did you think of implementing real time operating over camera in the future? Because, the idea I mentioned earlier, which I discussed with my friend, was about handling outboard in real time - you move your mouse over virtual knob on the screen and software sends the instruction to a robotized knob on the outboard. Chains are also created in the software - instruction is send to a digital patchbay (like SSL X-patch). You pay for half hour or the whole hour, upload your files before your scheduled hour (you can upload days before, the files stay in your folder), and you do whatever you want with the outboard. Software is the easier part, robotics is a bit harder. But it can be done.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

very very very cool man
but you know i would get a sweet reel to reel im sure people would want to run stuff thru it aswel as the comps..just a thought
but hope this good great for you
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

I love the idea. I will definitely try this out once it can handle longer stereo files.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagalj View Post
Frederik, I can not believe you started this. The same idea came to me few months ago, and I spoke to a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer about whether its possible to do something like that: an automated mastering studio controlled over web in real time. After discussing it with him for a while we concluded that it is very much possible, only takes some portion of money and time to work on it (we dont have neiher of the two).

Im pretty excited about checking your site and I would like to try it as soon as possible.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just visited your site and I saw the procedure. Did you think of implementing real time operating over camera in the future? Because, the idea I mentioned earlier, which I discussed with my friend, was about handling outboard in real time - you move your mouse over virtual knob on the screen and software sends the instruction to a robotized knob on the outboard. Chains are also created in the software - instruction is send to a digital patchbay (like SSL X-patch). You pay for half hour or the whole hour, upload your files before your scheduled hour (you can upload days before, the files stay in your folder), and you do whatever you want with the outboard. Software is the easier part, robotics is a bit harder. But it can be done.
"online" operation is on the horizon but there are security issues involved when you think about it, the basic would be setting up a couple of dmz servers and allow session through it.. I certainly consider it.
Next on the agenda is to be able to have audible feedback on the settings within daws, that can be done in several ways. I've got a "thinking out of the box" approach that i plan to implement asap possibly within half a year. but I feel I'll have to keep it a little secret as of now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
very very very cool man
but you know i would get a sweet reel to reel im sure people would want to run stuff thru it aswel as the comps..just a thought
but hope this good great for you
Thanks for your input That would be COOL but very hard to implement to happen automagically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHouseDJ View Post
I love the idea. I will definitely try this out once it can handle longer stereo files.
Ok if this is a requested feature I'll push to implement it, but it will be dual mono.. stay tuned
Regarding lenght what would you feel was a suitable lenght?
Old 20th December 2010
Great innovation Fredrik - look forward to a stereo version!
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrikCarno View Post
Regarding length what would you feel was a suitable length?
I can only speak for myself, but the house music I mix is generally between 7 and 10 minutes for the extended club version.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

i, for example am mixing a record where only 2 or 3 songs are below 4mins... that definitely should not be a limiting factor... maybe you could charge depending on running time... for example.. or keep the limit at least double what it is (8mins)
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
stereo yes!

cool thing!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

i love it when dreams become reality. I think this could be an amazing avenue if it can be integrated into the DAW with the dummy plugin control the robotics on the hardware end! This is certainly an interesting development
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

ok then :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Great innovation Fredrik - look forward to a stereo version!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHouseDJ View Post
I can only speak for myself, but the house music I mix is generally between 7 and 10 minutes for the extended club version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
i, for example am mixing a record where only 2 or 3 songs are below 4mins... that definitely should not be a limiting factor... maybe you could charge depending on running time... for example.. or keep the limit at least double what it is (8mins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by futur2 View Post
stereo yes!
Thank you very much for your feedback and points taken

I just now changed max file lenght to 8 minutes..

Regarding stereo operation (dual mono) I'm about to change this in the backend of OA might take some days to get it done.. so shall we say after christmas just to be sure

Thanks for all you positive energy and support
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm wondering whether one could use a plugin, for example, The Glue to mix a project, then at the end, send the track through the real deal (SSL comp) with the same settings.

I'll try it as soon as stereo or dual mono is implemented.

Excellent.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

automating a hardware unit to enable remote control over the internet would be too complex, and too expensive to create / setup. realtime audio preview = more bandwidth needed. and that hardware unit would be only available to one user at a time.

it's possible, but will it generate enough money in return ? not sure.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Wow, imponerad! I will for sure use this service a lot!

A good feature would be to be able to pre-pay 10-20 credits. Then we don't have to create so many PayPal transactions and the workflow will be more convenient. And "pay 10 get 11" offers will also be welcome!

D.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperx View Post
I'm wondering whether one could use a plugin, for example, The Glue to mix a project, then at the end, send the track through the real deal (SSL comp) with the same settings.
I'll try it as soon as stereo or dual mono is implemented.
Excellent.
Thanks. This is one way to get feedback on the settings I've considered in development of future OA versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
automating a hardware unit to enable remote control over the internet would be too complex, and too expensive to create / setup. realtime audio preview = more bandwidth needed. and that hardware unit would be only available to one user at a time.

it's possible, but will it generate enough money in return ? not sure.
Good points here for the average internet user with fixed monthly price for "unlimited use" of their bandwith it can seem strange that bandwith on the net is expensive. For OA, bandwidth costs is always going to be a concern since .wav files are so big and the very low price per use which in turn demand high volume the go plus

On a side note if someones interested, Outboardanywhere runs on redundant 100/100 fiber connections, also the files are distrubuted thought worldwide lightning fast cdn (content delivery network) so every user can max their connection towards the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisb View Post
Wow, imponerad! I will for sure use this service a lot! A good feature would be to be able to pre-pay 10-20 credits. Then we don't have to create so many PayPal transactions and the workflow will be more convenient. And "pay 10 get 11" offers will also be welcome!
D.
Tack. As this service evolve so will the billing system. I felt like this setup was a good starting point
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

This is a very very cool idea.

I recommend that you put up some pictures of the gear, if there are not some already on your site.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

THis is a cool concept. But...how do we know this ain't just some impulse convolution process.

heh
Old 21st December 2010
Seems like a cool idea.

A nice future development might be to make it available in such a way that other people can sign up their gear, you take 50% and the owner of the gear takes 50%. €1 is a bit cheap in this case so for example I can offer up a DBX compressor, someone pays €2.50 for me to run a 4 minute WAV through it, we each take €1.25.

I might have misunderstood the service a little to be honest but still, food for thought.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
THis is a cool concept. But...how do we know this ain't just some impulse convolution process.
heh
Hehe. We just have to do it the old brazilian hostage way, give me a proof of life
Attached Thumbnails
Outboardanywhere.com launches (use automated studio outboard over the net)-hostage.jpg  
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
Seems like a cool idea.

A nice future development might be to make it available in such a way that other people can sign up their gear, you take 50% and the owner of the gear takes 50%. €1 is a bit cheap in this case so for example I can offer up a DBX compressor, someone pays €2.50 for me to run a 4 minute WAV through it, we each take €1.25.

I might have misunderstood the service a little to be honest but still, food for thought.
Haven't thought along those lines, My calculation is based around the cost involed and what can be fair, 1 euro is what my market research showed was a fair price but I might be mistaken..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search