The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outboardanywhere.com launches (use automated studio outboard over the net) Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Great idea!

I have a couple of questions about payment .. is it going to be possible in future to pay directly with a credit card? I've had problems using PayPal in the past, and my experience with it was so bad that I won't use it ever again on principle.

And rather than paying 1 Euro every time you use the site will it be possible to start an account that you can reload with money when you need to? (ie, buy 20 Euros worth of site credit at a time)

Thanks for doing this, I think it's a great step forward!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

different or?

hmm after reading on that site I got the impression that their not yet released product was about making it easier for people to create electronic music over an online platform

Outboardanywhere lets people use hq automated studio outboard online quite a differance to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODIJ View Post
hawtin is doing the same

well thats what I understand

Burn Studios Audiotool
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

not trying to be a dick of anything I truly want this idea to succed!!

but...
latency will be a problem - if the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second then every 186 miles the signal travels adds a millisecond of latency. Consider 10 mS as a limit most people don't like to exceed so then you have about a 1000 mile workable radius. Note that this is with a theoretically perfect signal path which doesn't account for the signal passing through various routers and other network elements which can add latency
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

This idea has been bashed around a bit. Nice to see someone taking a stab at it.

Having someone reamp your files through their outboard gear via an FTP site is happening (mercenary does it)...how is this different? because you are not showing that this is a real time process..if you were...I'd be blown away...because you'd have to monitor it, set it and record it within the context of a mix...and this would mean that you had somehow figured out how to bypass all bandwith, slow internet connection, delay compensation issues. If this is what you have done then you deserve 50 million dollars!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

i don't see what's groundbreaking at all in that "burn studios" thing ...

an online flash sequencer ? there's plenty already, and flash sucks
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDaddy View Post
This idea has been bashed around a bit. Nice to see someone taking a stab at it.

Having someone reamp your files through their outboard gear via an FTP site is happening (mercenary does it)...how is this different? because you are not showing that this is a real time process..if you were...I'd be blown away...because you'd have to monitor it, set it and record it within the context of a mix...and this would mean that you had somehow figured out how to bypass all bandwith, slow internet connection, delay compensation issues. If this is what you have done then you deserve 50 million dollars!
Cool I don't know their pricepoint but I set the price for a few shot and misses.. this is the current limitations, however, I did not of course design my uniform outboard automation system without having real time audible feedback in mind, thats the next thing. one have to start somewhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODIJ View Post
not trying to be a dick of anything I truly want this idea to succed!!

but...
latency will be a problem - if the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second then every 186 miles the signal travels adds a millisecond of latency. Consider 10 mS as a limit most people don't like to exceed so then you have about a 1000 mile workable radius. Note that this is with a theoretically perfect signal path which doesn't account for the signal passing through various routers and other network elements which can add latency
The internet latency discribed well above can seem daunting at first but it has workarounds which I'm currently knee deep in.

As mentioned above , I had to start somewhere and my entry point was the one I thought was the hardest to overcome ie the automation system

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
a "set the output to the maximum possible without clipping the AD" option could be useful i guess.
good idea It's now on the todo list
Old 27th December 2010
Very interesting - I've joined but haven't tried yet.

Threshold on the Comp's is an issue to me.

Also I would like to see some 'special' pieces available - maybe Fairchild, or AnalogueTube AT101, Vintage 1073's etc.

Keep up the good work - this could very well be just what the modern 'ITB' or Summing Producer / Mix Engineer / Mastering Eng needs.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

RocketDaddy is mistaken. Mercenary does not do this.

- c
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknik View Post
Great idea!

I have a couple of questions about payment .. is it going to be possible in future to pay directly with a credit card? I've had problems using PayPal in the past, and my experience with it was so bad that I won't use it ever again on principle.

And rather than paying 1 Euro every time you use the site will it be possible to start an account that you can reload with money when you need to? (ie, buy 20 Euros worth of site credit at a time)

Thanks for doing this, I think it's a great step forward!
I can see that people not wanting to use paypal, I'll add different methods in the future
Regarding site credit is a good idea and actually high up on the todo list, I havn't come around to that just yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Very interesting - I've joined but haven't tried yet.

Threshold on the Comp's is an issue to me.

Also I would like to see some 'special' pieces available - maybe Fairchild, or AnalogueTube AT101, Vintage 1073's etc.

Keep up the good work - this could very well be just what the modern 'ITB' or Summing Producer / Mix Engineer / Mastering Eng needs.
Thanks for your kind words. The idea is to add stuff to OBA that's well out of reach from most users, the 2254 is such a piece I would say, I'll definetley consider the peices mentioned, a stunning klein+hummel ue100 will be added shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
Ahh thought that sounded strange, thanks for clearing that up
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:

- c
I thought that I read that the studio that they have does this...let me check...maybe I'm mistaken...hang on...yeah I can't find it there...thought the Meth lab had that service...anyhoo...other studios offer reamping tracks...

However this is a different idea...and a great one...working out the real time issues are huge though
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

checked again....thought it was there

The Meth Lab - Booking Info
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I thought that I read that the studio that they have does this...let me check...maybe I'm mistaken...hang on...yeah I can't find it there...thought the Meth lab had that service...anyhoo...other studios offer reamping tracks...

However this is a different idea...and a great one...working out the real time issues are huge though
Quote:
At Outboardanywhere's pricepoint (1 Euro/Use), I don't think it's possible for any studio to do it like this... you have to have a dedicated machine room with dedicated fiber connection to internet
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:

The Meth Lab - Booking Info
If we got it in the rack - and you want some engineer twiddling a knob on some tracks - We'll be happy to accommodate you! Our Reamping service is mainly geared towards using our collection of vintage amplifiers and speakers on your electric DI tracks. We personalize this service as much as possible, so inquire within!
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrikCarno View Post
At Outboardanywhere's pricepoint (1 Euro/Use), I don't think it's possible for any studio to do it like this... you have to have a dedicated machine room with dedicated fiber connection to internet
1 euro per use? It's still unclear what that use is...right now it's just a reamping service...when I can register and open up gear across the pond as a hardware plugin in insert and mix it in real time...I'll **** my pants...and it will definitely be worth more than 1Euro.

Keep up the good work!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Absolutely awesome idea! Can't wait to try it on a track or three!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
1 euro per use? It's still unclear what that use is...right now it's just a reamping service...when I can register and open up gear across the pond as a hardware plugin in insert and mix it in real time...I'll **** my pants...and it will definitely be worth more than 1Euro.

Keep up the good work!
As I see it outboardanywhere can be described as "reamping" but through outboard gear instead of amps, however reamping up to now had to be done by a human and that make the pricing structure very different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Absolutely awesome idea! Can't wait to try it on a track or three!
Thanks for your postive words, glad you like it
Old 29th December 2010
LAU
Gear Maniac

Outboardanywhere.com launches (use automated studio outboard over the net)

Ok, i subscribed and will try soon, i have some of the equipment you are offering at the moment available at a studio where i work, and i do have some favourite settings on them, if this works well, it saves me a trip to the studio in sometimes (:

Gear requests :

Analog tube AT 101
Atomic squeeze box
Tube tech Smc2b
Retro Sta lvl ( and al their other products (: )
Well, all great gear will be nice i guess (:

Cheers,
Lau
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
1 euro per use? It's still unclear what that use is...right now it's just a reamping service...when I can register and open up gear across the pond as a hardware plugin in insert and mix it in real time...
*sigh*

- c

[becomes particularly relevant at 1:07]
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

what happens if a button sticks?
Y2k?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Awesome idea. Best of luck with it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavano View Post
Awesome idea. Best of luck with it.
Thanks for your kind words mavano

Quote:
*sigh*

[becomes particularly relevant at 1:07]
True For me it's also good that people point out flaws and dream up new things, that keeps me motivated to program the next version of OBA..

Ohh regarding new fetures stereo operation will come very soon now
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit View Post
what happens if a button sticks?
Y2k?

BTW Do you have any good ideas regarding future version of OBA I'm in the process of specing the new version

Fredrik
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrikCarno View Post

BTW Do you have any good ideas regarding future version of OBA I'm in the process of specing the new version

Fredrik
Don't know if this is logistically feasible, but some function whereby you can "audition" your chosen settings on a particular device before printing would be awesome.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakypete View Post
A small video tutorial how it works from both ends would be useful
++1
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik View Post
++1
It's on the todo list.. ..but, I'm thinking of waiting with this until I drop the next version which will have real cool functions..
Just log in on OBA and how to use it becomes very clear

Right now I'm working round the clock with the next version.. even selling my wunder cm7 to faster fund it :(
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Maniac

i so want to try this. anyone have any good general 1176 settings for lead vocals (nothing too squashed; just a few db of gain reduction).

thanks,
ryan
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Addict

.. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespirals View Post
i so want to try this. anyone have any good general 1176 settings for lead vocals (nothing too squashed; just a few db of gain reduction).thanks,
ryan
Settings are a bit tricky with this first version, I know .. people that don't have their favorite setting already reported that they've used a half decent emulation like uad to find their settings. before they use OBA
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Maniac

So is the gain staging identical with the UAD version of the 1176? Do you recommend DBfs 0 or -18, as in DBVU 0?
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Addict

sorry

Sorry didn't see your post.. I've been knee deep in programming considirations for future version of outboardanywhere .. Having not used uad myself I just got a report that someone used their uad favorite settings an liked it
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Addict

stereo files YES :)

I've now implemented stereo file support (dual mono) for OBA. Sorry it took such a long time..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search