The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Outboardanywhere.com launches (use automated studio outboard over the net) Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Very cool.

Cloud computing evolves .
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrikCarno View Post
Haven't thought along those lines, My calculation is based around the cost involed and what can be fair, 1 euro is what my market research showed was a fair price but I might be mistaken..
1 euro is fair if not a little TOO good. As long as you're pulling in a decent sum then it's all good I guess. What I meant with the €2.50 thing was that if you were running the site and I was putting my gear up for use then 50/50 seems reasonable but then it starts loosing point when I only make 50 cents per go. Plus, as soon as I wrote that post I realised price has to be relative to piece of gear. If someone puts up a Neve compressor for €2.50 and I put up a Behringer compressor for the same amount, whattcha gonna choose? heh - maybe a possibility for the future where the user decides the price their piece of gear can be 'rented' for for the 4 or 5 mins it's in use.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

there's a LOT of outboard manufacturer on this forum. I hope they'll get in touch with you and send you some free gear, or with a highly reduced price ! just make a nice banner in return ...

also, 1 euro is great. a big part of the success of the itunes "app store" is the low price of apps. most are less than a dollar. 99 cents would work too
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hehe. We just have to do it the old brazilian hostage way, give me a proof of life
but... the needle is DEAD !!

heh
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
there's a LOT of outboard manufacturer on this forum. I hope they'll get in touch with you and send you some free gear, or with a highly reduced price ! just make a nice banner in return ...

also, 1 euro is great. a big part of the success of the itunes "app store" is the low price of apps. most are less than a dollar. 99 cents would work too

So you are saying that manufacturers should give him free gear for his own private profit in return for a banner advert and that the service provided should be cheaper to boot (maybe because he didn't have to pay for his gear?)

What universe do you live in?

This makes no economic sense whatsoever.

Ahh, the beauty of everyone having their say...
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hehe. We just have to do it the old brazilian hostage way, give me a proof of life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
but... the needle is DEAD !!

heh
Haha I only have the backend system online standard office hours CET as of now to be able to handle all flags generated by the system.
This was in the middle of the night while I was up chatting away on the chat system with you guys BTW I only got 5 hour sleep last night, damn those time zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidar View Post
Very cool.

Cloud computing evolves .
Yes software as service (SAS) is the big thing now, this is to take the cloud one step further..
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

also, onlive.com for video games is impressive. it's not launched in europe but it already works there.
check it out, it's free
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's not a good idea to post while high.

- c
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
hehe Give me some of what he is smoking. Free gear for all. Peace on earth.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
If the service is successful manufacturers will want to be part of it.

When Empirical Labs collaborate with UAD to make a Fatso plugin, they know it will make the hardware version more popular. it's simple as that. a big part of our gear knowledge comes from plugin emulation. So no, i'm not smoking.

The first one to make the step would get even more publicity / sympathy
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:

When Empirical Labs collaborate with UAD to make a Fatso plugin, they know it will make the hardware version more popular. it's simple as that. a big part of our gear knowledge comes from plugin emulation. So no, i'm not smoking.

Do you think Empirical is letting UA use their trademarks for free?
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:

Successful manufacturers are "part of it" they don't need "sympathy" from plug in users.

People buy the gear because it sounds good.

They put it in a room an use it to record music.

It's called a studio.

If your good at recording you can charge money.

It's called a business.

Maybe you used the plug in version, the iStudio?

It's free on the internet.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
1 euro is fair if not a little TOO good. As long as you're pulling in a decent sum then it's all good I guess. What I meant with the €2.50 thing was that if you were running the site and I was putting my gear up for use then 50/50 seems reasonable but then it starts loosing point when I only make 50 cents per go. Plus, as soon as I wrote that post I realised price has to be relative to piece of gear. If someone puts up a Neve compressor for €2.50 and I put up a Behringer compressor for the same amount, whattcha gonna choose? heh - maybe a possibility for the future where the user decides the price their piece of gear can be 'rented' for for the 4 or 5 mins it's in use.
The processes of adapt a hardware piece to OA is a time consuming and quite expensive endevour, I will expand if I can in the future with more types of gear, I can't really see how other peoples HW can be easily added atm

Regarding pricepoint, 1 euro/use was my initial wish when I started crunching the numbers from a user stand point at first, what would make it usable? These calculations included my previous limits of max 4 min mono files (now 8 min mono) to be 8 minutes stereo after the hollidays. That in turn changes many factors at these file quantities substancially. a 30 mb file vs a 60 or larger. start adding it up and you see what I mean

At this time it looks like both the backend and frontend system can handles these changes
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyway, to get us back on topic I processed a vocal through the 1176 and another run through the 1073 and I'm really happy with the results. Also Fredrik is a top bloke, who has been extremely helpful in getting the right settings for me.
In it's infancy it's great to be able to try these different things and for the price it really is worth the slight gamble that it may not be exactly the right processing for what the track needs. It is also inexpensive enough to try various processing and choose from there.
Obviously this service will improve and become more usefull as time and technology march on. Looking forward to what's in store..
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Successful manufacturers are "part of it" they don't need "sympathy" from plug in users.

People buy the gear because it sounds good.

They put it in a room an use it to record music.

It's called a studio.
We're not in the 90's anymore. studios are closing because the majority of people use software not hardware.

so yes, hardware manufacturer can benefit from "sympathy" from plugin users, since plugins are more widespread than hardware.

every kid knows what is a 1176, a fairchild, a LA-2A, a pultec, a 1073 eq, a fatso, a massive passive... thanks to plugins. one day if they have more money, they can afford the real thing, that they first discovered on their computer.
Old 22nd December 2010
I just thought... Imagine the latencey! heh
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

In the future they'll be no latency, the audio will travel back in time ready for when you hit play
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

yes :)

Quote:
I just thought... Imagine the latencey! heh
Rseal time use is a massive problem due to latency over internet and bandwidth limitations, There are workarounds one can think of to get it nearly there, implementing them hovever requires a lot of inspiration and coffee
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Rseal time use is a massive problem due to latency over internet and bandwidth limitations, There are workarounds one can think of to get it nearly there, implementing them hovever requires a lot of inspiration and coffee
I'd never expect it to work in real time, I was just sorting out the latency compensation in Logic and thought it would be hilarious to try and run OBA as a plugin
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'd never expect it to work in real time, I was just sorting out the latency compensation in Logic and thought it would be hilarious to try and run OBA as a plugin

Old 22nd December 2010
Ive really come around to this now...I cant wait to do some experiments running my tracks through the Vertigo and SSL...at €1 per time - it makes it feasible to try different settings...should be really fun...

I had a good chat via the instant message on the website earlier - pretty cool.

Fredrik - I had a question tho about compressors - how is it possible to set the correct amount of gain reduction? static settings like attack and release can be guestimated - but the threshold?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post

Fredrik - I had a question tho about compressors - how is it possible to set the correct amount of gain reduction? static settings like attack and release can be guestimated - but the threshold?
I was wondering something similar. Say i used UAD 1176, i could have a good idea of the attack and release settings but i am not sure if the input of the hardware will be calibrated the same as the UAD. Would it not be better just to say how much gain reduction is required?
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

good ponits

Quote:
Ive really come around to this now...I cant wait to do some experiments running my tracks through the Vertigo and SSL...at €1 per time - it makes it feasible to try different settings...should be really fun...

I had a good chat via the instant message on the website earlier - pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshalpha View Post
I was wondering something similar. Say i used UAD 1176, i could have a good idea of the attack and release settings but i am not sure if the input of the hardware will be calibrated the same as the UAD. Would it not be better just to say how much gain reduction is required?
Good points here, as these are limitiations for sure, I'm seeing a pattern that users of comps use it 2 or 3 times close in time and the 1073 just once, and that's understandable.

Regarding 1176 I just took the values on the knobs as people who have used it have their favorite setting, I see that non previous users can have a problem will see how I dicide on this after christmas

It good fun to have the chat function chatting away it turned out to be a good way to iron problems out

Quote:
Originally Posted by farjedi View Post
Anyway, to get us back on topic I processed a vocal through the 1176 and another run through the 1073 and I'm really happy with the results. Also Fredrik is a top bloke, who has been extremely helpful in getting the right settings for me.
In it's infancy it's great to be able to try these different things and for the price it really is worth the slight gamble that it may not be exactly the right processing for what the track needs. It is also inexpensive enough to try various processing and choose from there.
Obviously this service will improve and become more usefull as time and technology march on. Looking forward to what's in store..

Thanks for your kind words.. As most files pass though the files without problems I can find time to help out whenever I have time
Old 23rd December 2010
is it possible that we could use a setting 'Max -4db Gain Reduction' on the Vertigo for example? Perhaps via IM?

I cant see how compressors can be used if you cant get feedback on the gain reduction...
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

good points yet again

Quote:
is it possible that we could use a setting 'Max -4db Gain Reduction' on the Vertigo for example? Perhaps via IM?

I cant see how compressors can be used if you cant get feedback on the gain reduction...
Good points. In this version these are the limitations. However real time audible feedback is in the programming pipes, I can't say when but I'm on it one innovation at a time is hard enough

btw many people have used the comps with these limitations now
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Congrats Fredrik, I'm in.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

a "set the output to the maximum possible without clipping the AD" option could be useful i guess.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
Congrats Fredrik, I'm in.
Cool glad you like it.. To all users I've taken a day or two off, files will be sent back monday 27th

Take care
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Cool glad you like it.. To all users I've taken a day or two off, files will be sent back monday 27th

Take care
Enjoy your holidays! heh

I really like the final result of the vocal file I sent you to process with the 1176; a lot better result than with my UAD 1176LN for sure!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

hawtin is doing the same

well thats what I understand

Burn Studios Audiotool
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search