The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Seems this could be the 21century equivalent of columbus egg
An amp that learns the sonic fingerprint of other amps
Kemper Unveils Profiling Amplifier |
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

If this would really work then it could be pretty cool.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

why wouldnt it?
Judging from the Virus line of synthesizers Kemper seems to be a very smart guy and certainly knows a thing or two about emulating classic tone using modern DSP technology!
Old 23rd December 2010
I'm surprised this isn't getting more interest. It sounds like quite a cool concept. Of course whether it works as advertised is another thing entirely, I assume it's a wavelet synth/modulator of some sort, in which case it would open up all sorts of possibilities for abuse and some crazy guitar sounds.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
why wouldnt it?
Judging from the Virus line of synthesizers Kemper seems to be a very smart guy and certainly knows a thing or two about emulating classic tone using modern DSP technology!
Why wouldnt it? Did you actually just say that?

Oh..a billion reasons. Synth sounds are synthetic sounding. Guitar amps are tube based distortion with complexities that are light years above a sine wave. I cant believe Im even typing this.

My guess is he already has the tube models in there and the only thing that is captured is the voicing and any phasing from the mic. Unless this man has invented technology that's indistinguishable from magic--there is no way to capture the complexities of tubes and transformers through a mic.--again....I cant believe I just typed that too. Because...dur
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry if i made you type something you didnt want to!

I agree with you that tube distortion is more complex than a sinewave and that synthesizers sound synthetic.
But a good sounding filter can be quite complex and hard to create in the digital domain as many of the pisspoor examples of other vendors show.
The Virus sounds really good imo so i look forward to check this thing out before i make a final judgement.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Here you go guys!

(The video wasn't showing up ... so here is the direct link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZWMzwwsVe0

Last edited by TheDrip; 27th December 2010 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: added direct link.
Old 27th December 2010
Thanks, so it sounds like it's not like a traditional amp sim where you get the amp controls but rather just a specific pre-set up tone based on the profile.

I wonder if you can at blend profiles with it to emulate a gain control, or if it has a post low/mid/high tone control.

You also have to question how it will react and play, as in what happens when you dial back the volume on the guitar with a dirty tone, will it clean up the same way as a real amp will.

Still looks pretty interesting stuff, I guess the proof will be in some sound samples and demos though.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

yea he did say that multiple profiles could be made for the same amp.

So if you change the microphones / amp settings ... you can create a new "profile" for the new settings that it will emulate ...

What would be really cool is if we could create a "profile bank" that we could download new models / tones!!

Looking forward to this product being rolled out.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

I like the A B comparison buttons. thumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
And how it sounds :

Seems pretty impressive, I wonder how much it'll cost.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

impressive with a $500 guitar in a self treated booth
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Recorded with a room mic.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

The thing to remember with any guitar amp model is "how does it feel" when you play it. Any decent guitar player learns how his tube amp responds to his touch as he plays and uses this as an important aspect of his performance, controlling the dynamics of the amp. So the breakthrough in amp modeling will come when this level of control is matched along with the reproduction of original amp sounds. This looks like it could be a step closer but the question remains "how does it feel?".
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

From what i was hearing, it's pretty damn impressive! I would love to spend some time with the kemper. It's Not really my cuppa tea but I can see how it would be pretty awesome to have.

The kemper surely promises to be more useful than the ****ty sounding modeling amps out there now. BUT it really comes down to feel. Id much rather have one amp that feels right and does one thing amazingly rather than an infinite selection of so so approximations.

Any ideas on pricing?

And is it road or at least gig worthy?
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Nut

from reading the Kemper Amps Facebook Fan page ... it looks like profiles will be able to be emailed!!!!!!!

"I just recieved a rectifier profile via email! tweaked it to my taste! Now it is the most badass, MFing sound I ever had in my studio. If you come to NAMM you can experience it too!!"
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

NAMM

Been hearing opinions trickling in from NAMM. This thing may hold some great promise.

Excited even to have the possibility of amp models/simulations/profiles that could actually even come close to replicating dynamics of tube amps. As far as everything's come up to this point, that is the one thing (especially on cleaner sounds) that always appears missing to me.
Old 14th January 2011
I saw this in person yesterday at the NAMM show. Let me just tell you, it's really incredible.

I watched as they had a real Mesa Boogie amp/cab and set the Profiling Amp to model it in real-time (takes a couple of minutes, and sort of automatically does what you would do by hand to create proper samples for a convolution reverb).

When it was done sampling, the guitar player started playing and they switched in real-time between the Profiling Amp and the real amp/cab. You were hard pressed to hear a difference, though of course it wasn't identical. I would have to say that it was 95% of everything the amp/cab was and the differences were subtle at best. You certainly would never know that this was not the real deal.

It samples not just the amp and cab, but also the mic, the air in between, etc. Very cool stuff.
Old 14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Looks like even Chuck Norris likes this amp!
thumbsup
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Nut

On sale in US - MAY!!!

Price: $1600 !!!!
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Head

The guitarists I spoke to at NAMM specifically talked about this thing getting the feel right. Not being a guitarist, I can't vouch firsthand.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

wonder if it works with bass amps too
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Maniac

i heard it will work with bass amps too.

i want one. just for demoing and stuff.
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

since it works with guitar and bass amps it should also work with mic preamps!
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
since it works with guitar and bass amps it should also work with mic preamps!
I don't think so, unfortunately. From what I understand, when you profile an amp you have to let the Kemper know what kind of profile it will be (clean, vintage crunch, high gain, etc) which leads me to believe that there is some sort of modeling happening along with the profiling itself.

I doubt profiling an mic preamp will give the user a digital replica of itself, at least not at the standard many people have on here. Of course I'm speculating to some extent here, and of course Kemper may expand their device to add such things, so don't take my word as gospel by any mean.

That said, I would love to try one of these out side by side with an AxeFX. I wonder how well it could profile one heh
Old 14th March 2011
New vid showing heavier gain sound.

Old 18th March 2011
I want it, and I WANT IT NOW.
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
Why wouldnt it? Did you actually just say that?

Oh..a billion reasons. Synth sounds are synthetic sounding. Guitar amps are tube based distortion with complexities that are light years above a sine wave. I cant believe Im even typing this.

My guess is he already has the tube models in there and the only thing that is captured is the voicing and any phasing from the mic. Unless this man has invented technology that's indistinguishable from magic--there is no way to capture the complexities of tubes and transformers through a mic.--again....I cant believe I just typed that too. Because...dur
Unless you're on the same level of engineering knowledge and experience as Kemper, I highly doubt you're even qualified to say what is and isn't possible for a guy with his credentials. The whole world is filled with inventions that were considered impossible until they became a reality. They can clone a frickin' goat. Do you really think it's not possible to clone a guitar amp?
FYI, I own an Egnater M4, Engl E570 AND and Axefx Ultra. All 3 are amazing.
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
They can clone a frickin' goat. Do you really think it's not possible to clone a guitar amp?
Nuff said!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search