The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
Here's a clip of the AC30 Top Boost Profile that comes stock in the KPA.

Kemper-AC30-TopBoost by Gasp100 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Man, that sounds great. Really nice tubey crunch to it.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

U hearing that distortion characteristic, it's sounding verrrry similar to all the other profiles i've heard so far,,

not the tone of the amp so much, but the sound of the breakup... hmmm, this is a trend i've been hearing quite consistently between all the different models...

Great sound, but the fuzzzz, is sounding identical almost between models, whether it's ac30, recto etc...

hopefully he fixes this with a firmware somehow
Old 13th February 2012
It's possible. I need to do some more testing, but for sure I profiled my Mesa 5:25 earlier and it was brutally brittle and sharp in the profile, not at all like the real amp, and rolling back the gain did not give that nice mesa rounding out/smoothing effect that you get with the real amp where more bass becomes present in the tone and the crunchyness disappears to be replaced with a smoother brown sound as it gets quieter.

On the other hand the tone was in itself quite fun, it just wasn't (to me) what my amp sounds like. Normally when I record that amp I'm fighting the flubby bottom end rather than taming an overbright top end.

Here's a quick demo of the sound that I did get at the end of it (please ignore the terrible sloppy improv playing I just wanted to quickly demo the sound itself) : http://www.peranders.com/music/music/noodle120212a.mp3

So I wonder how much is the Kemper imprinting itself onto an EQ tone and how much is it really trying to modify its settings to match and simulate what it "hears". I'll need to do some more serious experiments to see.
Old 13th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
I need to do some more testing, but for sure I profiled my Mesa 5:25 earlier and it was brutally brittle and sharp in the profile, not at all like the real amp...
I think that's more a software anomaly meantime. Around 10-15% of my profiles are corrupted and although they work they sure ain't what was fed into the Kemper! The results may be useful, maybe not. The best policy I've found is to just trash the profile and do another. I don't change anything, just immediately make another profile and usually the results are what I'm expecting to hear.

I hear no 'similar distortion' to the various profiles, no 'signature Kemper sound' or anything like that, they all have their own thing going on.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 View Post
U hearing that distortion characteristic, it's sounding verrrry similar to all the other profiles i've heard so far,,

not the tone of the amp so much, but the sound of the breakup... hmmm, this is a trend i've been hearing quite consistently between all the different models...

Great sound, but the fuzzzz, is sounding identical almost between models, whether it's ac30, recto etc...

hopefully he fixes this with a firmware somehow
I had an AxeFX and it was WAY more similar from patch to patch regarding the midrange fizziness/sponginess with the distortion. Which was ultimately why I sold it. I happen to really like the sound of it on this Vox clip and have heard a bunch of other profiles that had either none of it or much less, so I can tell just from those that this unit goes much farther towards getting rid of all digital fizziness (high and midrange) compared to the alternatives I am aware of.
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
Here's Ola doing a Triple Rectifier Profile.

Kemper Profiling Amp - Triple Rectifier - YouTube
Damn, that is impressive.
Old 13th February 2012
Question about reamping:
If I don't use the SPDIF, but do it analog, do I have to use a reamp box to run the signal from the line out of the audio interface into the guitar input of the Kemper, or does it have a line in to run into straight from the line out of the audio interface?
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

here is an actual song done with the kemper (Hi gain)

Kemper Profiling Amplifier - Metal - YouTube
Old 13th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
Question about reamping:
If I don't use the SPDIF, but do it analog, do I have to use a reamp box to run the signal from the line out of the audio interface into the guitar input of the Kemper, or does it have a line in to run into straight from the line out of the audio interface?
It has a line in.
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Guru

Where in the states can you get this? Sweetwater the only place? How long is the waiting list?
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Sweetwater has them now...I ordered mine from JRR Shop...as a new customer they offer 10 percent off, plus free shipping. So 1665 out the door. They told me they are getting them in this week.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com
Old 13th February 2012
Here for the gear

High,

Really interested in the Kemper, but I think im missing something.
If I took the kemp loaded up with say a black face reverb deluxe, for a jazz gig. If I wanted to do a rocky song, I could step on the footswitch (if I had an original Fender) and go into the overdrive section. What would I do with the Kemper?
Bare in mind, I want lots of clean headroom so sponging the vol on the guitar wont do that.
What im asking is, how do I use it as a Fender reverb deluxe and what limitations are there, or ways can I do use the kemper to do this?

I also dont understand, if the kemper sends signals to an amp to test it (magic stuff) how can you get samples from the internet?

I thought it was doing more than literally just copying a sound. If it just did that, why would it need to test the amps parameters?

Sorry for any dumb questions. Non gear head (player) :-)
Old 13th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posativek View Post
High,

Really interested in the Kemper, but I think im missing something.
If I took the kemp loaded up with say a black face reverb deluxe, for a jazz gig. If I wanted to do a rocky song, I could step on the footswitch (if I had an original Fender) and go into the overdrive section. What would I do with the Kemper?
Same thing except you'd need a midi footpedal of sorts to switch between two different profiles...the first clean for the jazz, the second with dirt.

Quote:

I also dont understand, if the kemper sends signals to an amp to test it (magic stuff) how can you get samples from the internet?
The signals are used when profiling the amp. Once the profile is made you don't need the amp and the profile is a small computer file which can be shared via email, etc.

Quote:

I thought it was doing more than literally just copying a sound. If it just did that, why would it need to test the amps parameters?

Sorry for any dumb questions. Non gear head (player) :-)
It does literally copy a sound and present it in digital form. Testing the amp parameters is how the Kemper figures out how the amp works and how to replicate it.
Old 13th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs View Post
Same thing except you'd need a midi footpedal of sorts to switch between two different profiles...the first clean for the jazz, the second with dirt.

The signals are used when profiling the amp. Once the profile is made you don't need the amp and the profile is a small computer file which can be shared via email, etc.

It does literally copy a sound and present it in digital form. Testing the amp parameters is how the Kemper figures out how the amp works and how to replicate it.

Excellent!! good answers :-)

So when I sample the amps, do I have to sample all the options, 'clean' etc?
If the Kem figures out how the amp will respond etc, why would you have to do this?
Still it makes sense that you would.

So I record the clean, and the gain channels and the kem will do everything else in between. if i wanna switch to gain channel (kem gain channel)
I just use a midi controller and job done?

So the kem can be used to cover the full sounds and gains of an amp? Obviously when you get to tone etc, then it gets a bit too technical.

Can someone actually capture a whole amp all channels and it all holds up live?
Old 13th February 2012
You can capture all the various "sweet" spots, or just channels if you want of an amp and it should hold up. But I've found the gain control to be substantially different to the real amp, so if you capture a dirty sound and then want to reduce gain while you can it wont clean up the same way that your amp does. Also the EQ is captured in place and then the KPA's own EQ is applied on top always in the same place within the amp sim. The results may or may not be acceptable to you on that, so you probably want to capture your amp at all the voicings you'd use in a live set and then just switch between them. Treat it as either snapshots of your amp for instant recall, or as it's own amp that just happens to sound like your amp at a particular spot when everything is at 12 noon on the KPA and you're good.
Old 13th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Excellent!! good answers :-)

So I record the clean, and the gain channels and the kem will do everything else in between. if i wanna switch to gain channel (kem gain channel)
I just use a midi controller and job done?

mdme_sadie covered it but I'd like to make sure you understand: the Kemper won't somehow 'morph' between the clean profile and the gain profile, it's either/or, and as stated, the Kemper also has its own amp controls but they'll definitely behave differently to the original amp.

Both of these points have been discussed, though, and there are at least explorations into whether it may be possible to combine profiles so we can have one 'multi-sampled' profile...eg, when the gain on the Kemper is increased it will morph to the next profile and give the same effect as increasing gain on the original amp; and also whether it may be possible to incorporate digital representations of the various tone stacks associated with the amps being profiled so that the tone controls will behave as the original amp.

Personally I quite like the Kemper tone controls because they don't behave like the original amp and therefore some more unusual tonal behaviours show up.

And yes, just a midi stomp to switch between profiles works fine....at least so I hear! I'm only using the Kemper for recording so I don't use any pedals except for an expression pedal for volume and wah.

There are plenty of helpful, friendly users at the Kemper forum, if you're not already aware of it: Main Page - Kemper Amps Forum

I'm probably the least knowledgeable user. I've had it for a month and even though I might intend to sit down and fully learn everything I can't help just playing instead. After decades of fancy assed processors I've found one which gives me back my guitar.
Old 14th February 2012
Bear in mind that the KPA is in it's finished state as it stands now, it's not quite as beta as I thought. So if you buy in then you should be prepared to live with whatever it has as of right now and not expect things like meaningful digital IO of any sort during it's lifetime (based on discussions in it's forum). So if you're happy with the slightly anachronistic all analog IO digital approach then it's a great option, if not then you might want to look elsewhere.
Old 14th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Bear in mind that the KPA is in it's finished state as it stands now, it's not quite as beta as I thought. So if you buy in then you should be prepared to live with whatever it has as of right now and not expect things like meaningful digital IO of any sort during it's lifetime (based on discussions in it's forum). So if you're happy with the slightly anachronistic all analog IO digital approach then it's a great option, if not then you might want to look elsewhere.

Well it certainly seems interesting. Im just concerned that most people interested in these types of things seem to be metal heads. They only want heavy heavy distortion and once they can capture that one sweet spot, there in heaven and its all they need. Also lots of people kicking around of these types of sites are gear nerds (im a guitar ***** myself but anyway). They love amps and dumbles etc. They have this idea of this one sweet sound from one 50's amp etc and im sure the Kem is perfect for that.
I prefer Jazz/fusion/blues so how would it be able to capture all the loveliness and in-between of that these genres would require. Perhaps sonically I would demand too much from the Kem in a live situaiton. Or again im not quite getting the whole point.

I dont want 1/10 of a princeton, I want the whole thing. Or can it do that?
Old 14th February 2012
I'm afraid I have to admit I just don't know. Your version of a Princeton ideal setup and sound could be quite different from mine. The Kemper and indeed most modern amp sims can do low gain and clean pretty well, so I'd imagine so. To be hoenst high gain is an area where the older amp sims were better in many ways, at lesat if you were into that super legato stuff. Modern sims tend to be closer to real amps, while older amp sims were closer to the ideal of what metal players had going on in their head than the real amps ever were.

At the moment I'm a little nonplussed by the unit, it sounds "good", maybe even "great" but at the same time it doesn't inspire me, it's not as immediate or visceral an experience as my amps or even my Pod which is great because of it's convenience (I want to stop work for a 5 minute break and play or maybe record something, no worries, I don't even have to fire up another audio interface to do so). While the Kemper seems to be a tool where everything is a chore or workaround, and is ruled by stubborn Luddites who wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe that's just down to the flakeyness of the current firmware, I dunno. I guess I just expect too much in terms of workflow and interface coming from a tech world background myself (and striving to improve those things in the tools I make every day, it just seems alien to encounter anyone resistant to that). I'll see how things progress but unless something clicks soon then I may be sending mine back and sticking with the admittedly less awesome sounding but far more fun Pod HD, and the just as if not more awesome sounding Mesa amp that I have. Anyhow, before I can do that I need to give it the benefit of a full shake, it may grab me yet.
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

I know that the kemper has drive sims on it but what if you really like the way an old marshall sounds with a certain OD pedal you have. Can you profile it that way or not?

Thanks
Old 14th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm afraid I have to admit I just don't know. Your version of a Princeton ideal setup and sound could be quite different from mine. The Kemper and indeed most modern amp sims can do low gain and clean pretty well, so I'd imagine so. To be hoenst high gain is an area where the older amp sims were better in many ways, at lesat if you were into that super legato stuff. Modern sims tend to be closer to real amps, while older amp sims were closer to the ideal of what metal players had going on in their head than the real amps ever were.

At the moment I'm a little nonplussed by the unit, it sounds "good", maybe even "great" but at the same time it doesn't inspire me, it's not as immediate or visceral an experience as my amps or even my Pod which is great because of it's convenience (I want to stop work for a 5 minute break and play or maybe record something, no worries, I don't even have to fire up another audio interface to do so). While the Kemper seems to be a tool where everything is a chore or workaround, and is ruled by stubborn Luddites who wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe that's just down to the flakeyness of the current firmware, I dunno. I guess I just expect too much in terms of workflow and interface coming from a tech world background myself (and striving to improve those things in the tools I make every day, it just seems alien to encounter anyone resistant to that). I'll see how things progress but unless something clicks soon then I may be sending mine back and sticking with the admittedly less awesome sounding but far more fun Pod HD, and the just as if not more awesome sounding Mesa amp that I have. Anyhow, before I can do that I need to give it the benefit of a full shake, it may grab me yet.
Well I must say, youve been very kind. Good to have someone like yourself to take the time and reply.

In the end its going to be a toss up between the, Kemper/Axe Fx/G-system (no amp modelling) Nova system/ Boss gt10.

I want to have effects and amp modelling. The G-system though is there because it can take pedals in loop and thats a great feature.
The Kemper might be great if I want to get lots of amps. I could just use the ones it comes with and that would be enough judging by their selection.

Have to find one and play about with it. Or buy one and trial.

Wont running through some sort of PA system bring better result?
Old 14th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
I know that the kemper has drive sims on it but what if you really like the way an old marshall sounds with a certain OD pedal you have. Can you profile it that way or not?

Thanks
Yes you can. And apparently it works pretty well (i've not tried it yet because I love the sound of the distortion on my amp on it's own so much that I don't use a drive pedal). I believe Christoph said that pedals are linear in nature so may not profile (i could be wrong on that), and I guess that also means that in conjunction with an amp if they're really a strong factor then it might not come out exactly the same, but I'd say the only real way to know is to find someone with a Kemper and give it a try.
Old 14th February 2012
Quote:
Well I must say, youve been very kind. Good to have someone like yourself to take the time and reply.

In the end its going to be a toss up between the, Kemper/Axe Fx/G-system (no amp modelling) Nova system/ Boss gt10.

I want to have effects and amp modelling. The G-system though is there because it can take pedals in loop and thats a great feature.
The Kemper might be great if I want to get lots of amps. I could just use the ones it comes with and that would be enough judging by their selection.

Have to find one and play about with it. Or buy one and trial.

Wont running through some sort of PA system bring better result?
No problem. And yes, provided it's decently flat response-ish. Studio monitors would be idea, but you might also consider a power wedge monitor to get a more guitar-y feel (as they tend to have larger speakers and are placed on the floor). There have been some reports from folk who've profiled a DI out of an amp where it has one (or they had a THD hotplate) and the end result when put back through the amp cab was meant to be identical to the original amp. I'd look around for something FRFR though as a speaker.

Good luck in your search.
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear

I've been hearing some other clips of the kemper defiantly pretty sweet,

Probably the biggest problem in terms of 'that vibe' for older rock is the fact it doesn't really feedback like a traditional amp

definitely a cool unit though, will get me one
Old 14th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So if you buy in then you should be prepared to live with whatever it has as of right now and not expect things like meaningful digital IO of any sort during it's lifetime (based on discussions in it's forum). So if you're happy with the slightly anachronistic all analog IO digital approach then it's a great option, if not then you might want to look elsewhere.

There's coax spdif i/o, which is how I'm hooked into it. It's limited to 44.1 meantime but should be increased sooner or later, based on what Kemper themselves have intimated.
Old 14th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well it certainly seems interesting. Im just concerned that most people interested in these types of things seem to be metal heads. They only want heavy heavy distortion and once they can capture that one sweet spot, there in heaven and its all they need. Also lots of people kicking around of these types of sites are gear nerds (im a guitar ***** myself but anyway). They love amps and dumbles etc. They have this idea of this one sweet sound from one 50's amp etc and im sure the Kem is perfect for that.
I prefer Jazz/fusion/blues so how would it be able to capture all the loveliness and in-between of that these genres would require. Perhaps sonically I would demand too much from the Kem in a live situaiton. Or again im not quite getting the whole point.

I dont want 1/10 of a princeton, I want the whole thing. Or can it do that?
Ah, the metal boys all love their mums!

Basically whatever amp and cab you stick in front of it and profile...that's what you'll get back.

I have a Princeton and it's profiled that just fine. In fact the profile is a little better than the amp! My P is pretty hissy yet once the profile is complete the hiss has all but gone. I've no idea how they do that but it's a distinct bonus. Yes there's a noise gate but even without it the profile has way less hiss.

It's the work of the devil!

Oh...and I've barely looked at a manual yet, itself just a short booklet.
Old 14th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post

Thanks
Yep!

I have a couple of sweet od/boosters which I've been profiling in front of my princeton. So far it all seems to work just fine. I spent a good few days last week just messing around...eg, od pedals, a PodHD in front and in the effects loop (my princeton is a modern one with fx loop) and I have a ton of useful profiles from it all.

I'll quit now before someone accuses me of drinking the kool aid.
Old 14th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 View Post
I've been hearing some other clips of the kemper defiantly pretty sweet,

Probably the biggest problem in terms of 'that vibe' for older rock is the fact it doesn't really feedback like a traditional amp

definitely a cool unit though, will get me one

Ok, not quite done yet!

I did wonder about that, it seems a limitation which all digital units are bound to suffer from.

Over at the forum, though, are guys who are using it with cabs live and it seems it does feedback. I'd sign up and ask your questions there.
Old 14th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs View Post
Ah, the metal boys all love their mums!

Basically whatever amp and cab you stick in front of it and profile...that's what you'll get back.

I have a Princeton and it's profiled that just fine. In fact the profile is a little better than the amp! My P is pretty hissy yet once the profile is complete the hiss has all but gone. I've no idea how they do that but it's a distinct bonus. Yes there's a noise gate but even without it the profile has way less hiss.

It's the work of the devil!

Oh...and I've barely looked at a manual yet, itself just a short booklet.

Good to hear people having fun and good results.
So you can 'capture' how much of the princeton? and to what point does it vier off slightly (between 'channels' etc). I know about tone controls etc but have you profiled you princeton so that in a live setting you can pretty much use the amp as intended?

Many thanks :-)
Old 14th February 2012
Here for the gear

Will it also capture solid state amps?

Most of the best jazz amps are solid state. Would be great to switch from a polytone minibrute II straight to a Fender Twin or other good gain amp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search