The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

Still waiting for this to be available in the US....was supposed to be last week the lastt I heard, does anyone know the ETA?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com
Old 7th February 2012
Gear Head

They're in the USA, Sweetwater have sent out e mails to those who were on the waiting list, they're shipping.
Old 7th February 2012
Gear Head

Here's a great hi gain re-amped tone.
Amp Profile is the Diezel Herbert and a Mesa 4x12 cab.

Kemper Profling Amp reamping - "Zeit zu gehen" by Konzis by tylerhb on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
Definitely fact, at the moment only 44.1kHz.

Goodness gracious. Didn't think I would ever be pulling out a facepalm where this box is concerned, but 44.1 max? Very surprised by that.
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
They're in the USA, Sweetwater have sent out e mails to those who were on the waiting list, they're shipping.
Aha. Guess I am further down that list....
Old 8th February 2012
Gear Head

Here's Ola doing a Triple Rectifier Profile.

Kemper Profiling Amp - Triple Rectifier - YouTube
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Ordered mine, should have it in the next week or two. Looking forward to profiling some of my tube amps and doing some experimenting....
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's Ola doing a Triple Rectifier Profile.

Kemper Profiling Amp - Triple Rectifier - YouTube
This sounds **** hot! I just feel the kemper is going to be difficult for a lot of people to get starte straight from opening the box, especially with lack of heavy amp profiles. I think people will be reluctant to share their best profiles too
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'm almost sold on AXE II. Just going to wait to see how much kemper get behind the profile exchanging and firmware improvements first. I think the kemper is closer to the real sound, but I feel that tweaking tones from one profile to cater for different bands may not be as flexible as one hopes, and pulling stellar guitar tones consistently in the studio would be required more to make more profiles, which defeats the purpose somewhat for me to have the kemper as a convenient reamping tool.
Old 8th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I just feel the kemper is going to be difficult for a lot of people to get starte straight from opening the box, especially with lack of heavy amp profiles. I think people will be reluctant to share their best profiles too
The Kemper is full of heavy amp profiles out the box.

And, in January alone a few dozen new heavy amp Profiles were shared for free on the Kemper forum...Mesa Triple Rec, Dual Rec, Roadkings, MKVs, Splawns, Engl's, Diezel, 5150, JSX, Marshall AFD100, Marshall YJM100, Marshall JVM, etc, etc.

Too many high gain amp profiles in the Kemper for me, I'm looking for some nice DrZ Profiles, preferably the Route66.

Check this site just started, and the amps he Profiled.
Kemper Profiling Amp profiles upload and download profiler for free - kemperampprofiles.com
Old 8th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Oh it's no use at all for anything high gain.

Get the Axe, it's tailor made for that.

Regards,

Herbert Mindf'ker
CEO
Keep Kemper Klean Ink.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Ordered mine, should have it in the next week or two. Looking forward to profiling some of my tube amps and doing some experimenting....
Feckin slut!

Congrats...can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Old 8th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I'm almost sold on AXE II. Just going to wait to see how much kemper get behind the profile exchanging and firmware improvements first. I think the kemper is closer to the real sound, but I feel that tweaking tones from one profile to cater for different bands may not be as flexible as one hopes, and pulling stellar guitar tones consistently in the studio would be required more to make more profiles, which defeats the purpose somewhat for me to have the kemper as a convenient reamping tool.
The Axe is definitely more tweakable than the Kemper, but don't let that make you think the Kemper is a one trick pony with no control over it's amp profiles and that they're purely frozen snapshots. Once you have them you have all the usual Amp sim controls that you can use to adjust the sound, including being able to swap out the cabs between your various profiles.

Ola just posted this video which shows some of the options available when adjusting those controls on one profile.

Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Feckin slut!

Congrats...can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Haha, guilty as charged. I plan to do a lengthy high quality video demo profiling my 3 Monkeys Orangutan, Xits X10, Vox AC30H2L, Bogner Shiva, and Orange Rockerverb. If it can nail those, it can nail anything. We will see.....
Old 8th February 2012
Congrats! I've also caved and put myself on the waiting list, so hopefully I should get it sometime next week. Lets see how this thing rolls in real life.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, guilty as charged. I plan to do a lengthy high quality video demo profiling my 3 Monkeys Orangutan, Xits X10, Vox AC30H2L, Bogner Shiva, and Orange Rockerverb. If it can nail those, it can nail anything. We will see.....
Nice collection!

Good stuff, mate...eagerly awaiting first hand opinion of somebody with rather exquisite taste in amplification....although my wallet isn't quite as enthused!
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Nice collection!

Good stuff, mate...eagerly awaiting first hand opinion of somebody with rather exquisite taste in amplification....although my wallet isn't quite as enthused!
I hear that - always something to spend money on! I love my amps, and am very excited at the possibility of having portable backups of them, not only for live use but for quick studio use and recalling sounds from previous sessions easily.
Old 10th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Can't wait to hear the 3 Monkeys and Shiva...hopefully you'll share those profiles.
There are already some amazing AC30 profiles on the Kemper, and an Orange Rockerverb...the profiles are called "Rocker".
Old 10th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
The Axe is definitely more tweakable than the Kemper, but don't let that make you think the Kemper is a one trick pony with no control over it's amp profiles and that they're purely frozen snapshots. Once you have them you have all the usual Amp sim controls that you can use to adjust the sound, including being able to swap out the cabs between your various profiles.

Ola just posted this video which shows some of the options available when adjusting those controls on one profile.

Keep in mind, Kemper are working on supplying the actual tone stack of each amp, you'll be able to tweak the stack like you would the real amp and move stacks around of different amps, etc...so it's going to get even deeper, even though it doesn't need to.
Old 12th February 2012
So mine arrived yesterday. It's a very impressive piece of kit, very neutral, very unhyped, you get out purely what you put in, so practically unique in the guitar sim world then.

It's pretty hard to review as it's transparent in the way that a really good mic pre or convertor is. It just does it's job, everything sounds great going through it and that's the end of the excitement. In a way that's a bit of an anticlimax after all these years of amp sims that have been designed along the same philosophy as ghetto car stereos, it doesn't try to sound more massive than a real amp or more extreme in any way, it gives you the brutal honest truth. There's no hiding behind flaws in the technology on this thing.

The other thing that makes it hard to evaluate is that the firmware is still definitely beta, there are features that just aren't even implemented yet like the "Perform" mode switch on the front. And while I've not encountered them yet, there are still crash bugs that people are reporting on their forum. Having said that it does what it sets out to do right now, all the main functionality is there and new firmware updates are coming out it seems every week or two (and none of them change the sound so there's no adjusting your rigs after updating).

It really does appear to be the real deal, and you should bear in mind that I'm a tube snob. I'm a little rattled as I'd have quite liked to give a much more scathing review, but I honestly can't. It's a genuinely good piece of gear that so far sits well in the company of any real tube amp out there.
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Sweet...hopefully mine will ship next week. Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up, especially since a couple of my tube amps are REALLY dynamic.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post
NAMM 2011 has arrived here in Nashvegas. I had a chance to profile and play the Kemper today at a private screening. Some of my personal amps were used for profiling - the results were astounding!

At the session were BadCat ToneCat, Fender Bassman(s), 65amps London, Orange Rockerverb 50, Soldano and a whole lot more.

Again, it was a real "wow" experience - and no I wasn't paid or remunerated in any way
So when is your Axe-FX11 arriving? heh
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So when is your Axe-FX11 arriving? heh
That'll be a while...... but when the next player walks in with theirs, maybe I'll profile it
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

by the time I get my Kemper I hope there´ll be a nicely profiled

Old Tweed Bassman
Blackface Tremolux + matching small, closed 2x10" cab
Divided by 13 - EDT13/29
Vintage AC30

all profiled in a nice sounding big dry room with AEA R92, Royer121´s, KM86´s, MD409´s...

I´d rather want different profiles of ONE great vintage amp, with different mics, or even mic positions and combinations!!!....that would be soooo awesome.
I definitely will take some studio time to make my own profiles of great vintage amps with different mics....or mono-mix of several mics on the Neve!!
And for example with the Divided, I´d rather have made 10 different profiles with closely capturing all the different settings this baby can provide.

.....and then later having these all available with just a preset dial...yeah!!
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
I´d rather want different profiles of ONE great vintage amp, with different mics, or even mic positions and combinations.....and then later having these all available with just a preset dial...yeah!!
Exactly!
Old 13th February 2012
Well that's definitely it's strength, for what you want I'd say it's perfect, so long as its profiles are accurate enough.

Bear in mind that as I mentioned that firmware is still very much beta though, so there are caveats with workflow. No S/PDIF at rates other than 44.1, and the KPA must be the master. No USB connectivity at all currently (outside of to thumbdrives), and Christoph has stated that he has no intention of ever adding any form of USB audio support (and, well, teutonics' aren't known for pragmatism and flexibility so that'll probably never change), so digital re-amping will only work if you work at 44.1 or go the traditional analog route.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Old Tweed Bassman
Divided by 13 - EDT13/29
Vintage AC30

all profiled in a nice sounding big dry room with AEA R92, Royer121´s, KM86´s, MD409´s...
I'm not sure it matters what size the room is???, other then buildup in the low end, I don't believe it captures ambience???,
Old 13th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 View Post
I'm not sure it matters what size the room is???, other then buildup in the low end, I don't believe it captures ambience???,
You're right, of course it captures the whole sound that arrives at the mic, so that includes any room ambiance that creeps in and is picked up, or to put it another way it can't cancel out any of the room sound nor does it make any attempt to, at least as far as how it affects the frequency response at the microphone. So if you were to profile with your mic further back then you get more of an "in the room" sound, because the mic would be picking up more of the room sound itself, so basically just like recording the amp normally.

What it wont do though is capture an IR suitable for convolution reverb of the room, so if you've got a lot of natural verb then when you play the profile it wont have any of that reverb/echo/resonance that happens beyond the length of the notes that you play.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

true true, i guess the room would of course change the frequency plot of the profiling.

exciting stuff, he'll make a plugin box next, profiling the distortions eq graph etc...
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

Old Tweed Bassman
Divided by 13 - EDT13/29
Vintage AC30

I´d rather want different profiles of ONE great vintage amp, with different mics, or even mic positions and combinations!!!....that would be soooo awesome.
I definitely will take some studio time to make my own profiles of great vintage amps with different mics....or mono-mix of several mics on the Neve!!
And for example with the Divided, I´d rather have made 10 different profiles with closely capturing all the different settings this baby can provide.

.....and then later having these all available with just a preset dial...yeah!!
Here's a clip of the AC30 Top Boost Profile that comes stock in the KPA.

Kemper-AC30-TopBoost by Gasp100 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search