The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
New Marshall Plexi clip, sadly it's a bit drenched in reverb but you still get to hear the amp as it sounds, which to my ears is the closest I've ever heard from any amp sim, in fact good enough that I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference on record.
That's a nice...sexy time! Definitely in the 95+% area to me.

That boy can wank, too!
Old 27th January 2012
He posted one that's completely dry.

Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
He posted one that's completely dry.

Nice...the dry is even more impressive!

This sounds at least 40% closer to 100% than 100% of ALL sims that I've heard, or played.* In the right owner's hands (studio OR player) to dial in sounds intimately, AND the right fingers on frets...what a weapon!

Incredibly impressive! I'm a HUGE, and longtime Virus fan, too though...I have four separate rooms on two continents full of Access offerings. Freaky good talent and tools over the years. I will buy this blind. Properly profiled, played, recorded, mixed...and then squashed into oblivion through mastering...I'm certain I would be reduced to a coin-toss on whether it was, or wasn't real.

Great clips, mate!

*Above % figures are not based on anything quantifiable...just numbers out of me arse...being a goofball...but this thing sounds stellar!
Old 28th January 2012
Ah, apparently he changed the cab to something else (maybe even disabled it), which would account for that hrash DI/IR sound going on in that second clip.
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, apparently he changed the cab to something else (maybe even disabled it), which would account for that hrash DI/IR sound going on in that second clip.
Don't give a tosss...

Still sounds alright to me.

Rock on to those with theee....
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock View Post
I got my Kemper two days ago and I'm blown away! I am doing Metal Productions pretty much exclusively and I can safely say the Kemper will nail heavy tones without any problems whatsoever. I sounds and FEELS awesome! Yesterday just for fun I was profiling my JCM 800 with Soldano Hotmod and I couldn't quite believe the outcome. It sounded and felt so close to the amp that the very minor difference (if there was any at all) was negligible. Even more important after two-three minutes of further tweaking I go a sound that still had the unreal attack of the marshall and it's glorious low mid roar but with trademarks I couldn't get with the marshall alone. Powersagging and Preamp Definition Parameters are awesome for heavy stuff and after you played a little with them you'll find afterwards you won't need a tubescreamer anymore to smooth out the tone. I love it and it will get tons of use in my studio and playing live with my bands...
This inspires confidence! I'm going to check out your work when I get on a computer. Are you making your own profiles? Did you use any stock presets? Point me in the right direction, I'm definitely keen to hear your work with kemper
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got my Kemper two days ago and I'm blown away! I am doing Metal Productions pretty much exclusively and I can safely say the Kemper will nail heavy tones without any problems whatsoever. I sounds and FEELS awesome! Yesterday just for fun I was profiling my JCM 800 with Soldano Hotmod and I couldn't quite believe the outcome. It sounded and felt so close to the amp that the very minor difference (if there was any at all) was negligible. Even more important after two-three minutes of further tweaking I go a sound that still had the unreal attack of the marshall and it's glorious low mid roar but with trademarks I couldn't get with the marshall alone. Powersagging and Preamp Definition Parameters are awesome for heavy stuff and after you played a little with them you'll find afterwards you won't need a tubescreamer anymore to smooth out the tone. I love it and it will get tons of use in my studio and playing live with my bands...
My KPA is on the way. Would love to get my hands on your profiles if you don't mind sharing them. The hot rodded Marshall-ish tones are the ones I usually gravitate towards.

Also, in case you guys haven't heard this short high gain clip...http://soundcloud.com/r-a-p-h-1/engl-od3-2

...sounds pretty good to me

cheers,
Steve
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
My KPA is on the way. Would love to get my hands on your profiles if you don't mind sharing them. The hot rodded Marshall-ish tones are the ones I usually gravitate towards.

Also, in case you guys haven't heard this short high gain clip...ENGL OD3(2) by R-A-P-H on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

...sounds pretty good to me

cheers,
Steve
Here's Markus's Hot Rodded Marshall Profile.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55111784/201...CMHOTMOD2.kipr

Here are Tyler's cabs and some of the Kemper cabs, Tyler's (Till's) cabs work wonders with all the Marshall Profiles.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55111784/201...per%20Cabs.zip

And, Tylers Profiles including the Marshall JVM & Mesa Roadking.
Also some bi-amp Profiles, the JVM and Engl 860 in one Profile.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55111784/Til...s_20120128.zip
Old 2nd February 2012
I am so torn between that KPA and the Axe Fx 2. I am on the waiting list for the Axe Fx 2 since November, and I don't mind the wait, I assume I will not get my coupon ebfore March, totally fine for me. But now this thing here showed up...

The KPA is about 700 Euro cheaper than the Axe Fx 2. But the Axe Fx has the USB connection for audio interfacing and reamping, and reamping is quite important to me. The KPA does reamping through SPDIF, but only at 44.1kHz, and we work at 48kHz in our rpoductions. So I would either have to do SRC or do the reamping fully analog through my "regular" audio interface (Steinberg UR824) and a reamping box. Don't know, it looks much easier and faster with the Axe Fx 2.

I also need a lot of high gain sounds, I actually thought first about buying an Engl head and running it through a Two Notes Torpedo to work at home. I find many really good clips of high gain sounds - Engl, Diezel, Mega - on the net, Ola Englund has a lot on his Youtube channel. I can't find anything with Engl or Diezel or Bogner Überschall high gain profiles on Youtube.

Could not somebody here with a KPA provide a bit more of those? Are there already a lot of useable ones in the stock profiles? Or do you find at least plenty of them in the user database?
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Addict

Here's a short clip of the Kemper Profile of Peavey 5150 MK1 - Red Channel.
Profiling Setup in my studio was Maxon OD 808 - Peavey 5150 MK1 Red - H&K 2x12 Cab with V30 - SM57 - Amek 9098 Pre - Kemper

Recording was quickly done at home 10 Minutes ago using the Kemper Profile and the first riff that came to my mind, then double tracked with a "state of the art" MBox Mini into Pro Tools. There is zero post processing done to the clip - just the raw profile. Come mix time I'd maybe put some high/low pass on it and cut some fizz. Maybe it's a tad overgained but whatsoever - The Kemper captured the tone from the studio absolutely close to perfection and I really love my Kemper and I am still in awe at how and what it is doing!
Attached Files

Kemper5150redts.mp3 (685.9 KB, 2176 views)

Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
I am so torn between that KPA and the Axe Fx 2. I am on the waiting list for the Axe Fx 2 since November, and I don't mind the wait, I assume I will not get my coupon ebfore March, totally fine for me. But now this thing here showed up...

The KPA is about 700 Euro cheaper than the Axe Fx 2. But the Axe Fx has the USB connection for audio interfacing and reamping, and reamping is quite important to me. The KPA does reamping through SPDIF, but only at 44.1kHz, and we work at 48kHz in our rpoductions. So I would either have to do SRC or do the reamping fully analog through my "regular" audio interface (Steinberg UR824) and a reamping box. Don't know, it looks much easier and faster with the Axe Fx 2.

I also need a lot of high gain sounds, I actually thought first about buying an Engl head and running it through a Two Notes Torpedo to work at home. I find many really good clips of high gain sounds - Engl, Diezel, Mega - on the net, Ola Englund has a lot on his Youtube channel. I can't find anything with Engl or Diezel or Bogner Überschall high gain profiles on Youtube.

Could not somebody here with a KPA provide a bit more of those? Are there already a lot of useable ones in the stock profiles? Or do you find at least plenty of them in the user database?
Don't worry about the stock Profiles.
Released in Europe only 30 days ago, and already there are many user profiles of the Engl, Diezel VH4, Diezel Einstein, Splawn, various Mesa's, MKV, Triple Rec, Dual Rec, Framus, 5150, JSX, etc.
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Here's a short clip of the Kemper Profile of Peavey 5150 MK1 - Red Channel.
Profiling Setup in my studio was Maxon OD 808 - Peavey 5150 MK1 Red - H&K 2x12 Cab with V30 - SM57 - Amek 9098 Pre - Kemper

Recording was quickly done at home 10 Minutes ago using the Kemper Profile and the first riff that came to my mind, then double tracked with a "state of the art" MBox Mini into Pro Tools. There is zero post processing done to the clip - just the raw profile. Come mix time I'd maybe put some high/low pass on it and cut some fizz. Maybe it's a tad overgained but whatsoever - The Kemper captured the tone from the studio absolutely close to perfection and I really love my Kemper and I am still in awe at how and what it is doing!
Sounds great to my ears.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am so torn between that KPA and the Axe Fx 2...
Slut or teazzze?

Buy both...return the insignificant. OR!!! Slut yerself out if they're both great (hopefully)...and keep both!

You'll find your way through your predicament...all is well.
Old 3rd February 2012
Markus, thanks for posting the sound clip! Sounds good, the clip with the Killswitch Engage song sounds very good, too. Soundwise I think the KPA would make me very happy! But at the same time, I have been digging around a bit more, and listened closely to the clips of the Axe Fx 2 on Youtube that were made by Ola Englund and Pete Thorne. They pretty much convinced me that I will have no complaints about its sound, either, and for my specific use, the Axe wins then because of the feature set - audio via USB, easy reamping etc. If Kemper would implement that into the KPA, or at least make the SPDIF useable for other sample rates than 44.1kHz, I would change my mind.
Old 3rd February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Slut or teazzze?

Buy both...return the insignificant. OR!!! Slut yerself out if they're both great (hopefully)...and keep both!

You'll find your way through your predicament...all is well.
Lol, the old gearslutz way... buy both! heh

I am not so slutty actually, I work mainly as songwriter/composer, lyricist, singer and guitar player, and I have so far been successful in buying ONLY the exact tools that I need for that (but those on a good quality level), and I am going to keep it that way...
Old 3rd February 2012
Two questions:

- Can you turn the cab sims off? Or are they part of the profiles?

- Can you load your own cab impulses to it if above is true?

Not really a fan of the "one 57 on a V30" style of recording, I like to layer different mics and speakers.
Old 3rd February 2012
You can turn off the cab sim.

It doesn't accept IRs but it does allow you to make your own cab profiles, and you can use any number/configuration of mics in the process.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Two questions:

Not really a fan of the "one 57 on a V30" style of recording, I like to layer different mics and speakers.
You can make whatever cab sims you like, you can use 5 mics on 2 different cabs and profile it all in one shot if you want.

When you hear the Kemper cabs you wont want to load up your own IRs.
Old 3rd February 2012
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

So if I want to use this live can someone give me insight on what power amp would be advisable and to switch in between amps etc does it come with a board or what would I need..........thanks ahead of time really interested in getting this for the studio as well as live!
Old 4th February 2012
Sometimes I think too much is just too much. Instead of working on music and feel, all anybody will be doing is auditioning one amp model after another. Also, it implies that the guitar itself and the player have little to do with the sound. I think these things are great, love all the technology, but don't lose sight of the forest for the trees...That's all I'm saying.
Old 4th February 2012
That doesn't make any sense as an argument, I mean this is GearSlutz right? :D. That's like going into a music store and going "So why'd you have all these amps here when all you need is one? Your'e just confusing folk with all this choice stuff.".

Honestly though, as far as I can tell it's main purpose is to give you a pretty accurate duplicate of a single pre-dialed in existing sound, one that you probably like already. Then allow you to recall that at an instants notice for use anywhere.

Sure you can also use other peoples "sweet spot" sounds that they've discovered with their amps and kit, but no-one is forcing you to do that, it's your own trouble if you've ADHD, not the fault of a product!

Anyhow, from what people have said they're just turning the Kemper on and not even bothering to go exploring through the patches (or rigs as Kemper likes to call them) because they're just happy with the first thing they hear and play in terms of responsiveness, feel, sound, and versatility. It should help that the controls are obviously set up to mimic a real amp in layout. Everyone that's used one is saying it's a no-brainer, plug-in and play type unit. Which would IMO be a first for an amp sim.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyru View Post
So if I want to use this live can someone give me insight on what power amp would be advisable and to switch in between amps etc does it come with a board or what would I need..........thanks ahead of time really interested in getting this for the studio as well as live!
You can use any midi pedal board to control the KPA.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Sometimes I think too much is just too much. Instead of working on music and feel, all anybody will be doing is auditioning one amp model after another. Also, it implies that the guitar itself and the player have little to do with the sound. I think these things are great, love all the technology, but don't lose sight of the forest for the trees...That's all I'm saying.
You're a 100% correct, this can happen.
But, it's up to you, you can choose what 'amps' you want, create your tones and you're done.
You can have 50 amps you like or 5, it's up to you.

It's hard to explain, yes the Kemper is this new technology/idea, it can Profile an amp, forget about that for a minute, because that's not what makes it so good, what makes it's so good is it's fidelity, the clarity & sparkle, the sound and feel of the distortion, and most importantly the realism of the speaker/mic/cabinet.
I've had the same pair of studio monitors for 12 years, I've played all the Line 6 Pods, Vox Tonelabs, Yamaha Magicstomps, the new Line 6 HD500, the Avid 11R, and my studio monitors have never sounded like this before...they sound like a guitar cab, not studio monitors.
Old 5th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
The KPA isn't an AxeFX!

Turn it on, select a patch, play for the rest of the day....is how it goes for me.
Old 5th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Two questions:

Part of the profile but they can be isolated and changed.

Can't load IR's, and, to my ears, that's a good thing. Kemper has intimated it may be a possibility in future but personally I think it a regressive step, the cabs in the KPA are so much more alive than any IR I've heard.
Old 6th February 2012
Some questions again regarding the digital i/o...

I only produce the demos at home, the real production takes place in various studios. The producer team i work with does everything at 24bit/48kHz, so I also use that at home. However, since everything gets re-recorded, the quality of my home recorded tracks is not important, I could work in any other format for the demos.
The exception is the guitar tracks. I will often have to do them at home, and I need to submit them in 24/48 in decent quality. Therefore these questions:

1. Does the KPA's SPDIF do 24 bit?
2. I know the KPA does only 44.1kHz through the SPDIF. If I work in 44.1kHz at home and then do SRC in Cubase to submit the guitar tracks in 48kHz, the sound quality should not be degraded, right? I mean, because I am not downsampling but upsampling. Or is there something I don't know...?
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

1. Does the KPA's SPDIF do 24 bit?
2. I know the KPA does only 44.1kHz through the SPDIF.
Is this FACT? Fak!

I haven't even looked at those specs, but REALLY would have assumed we were talking 24 bit and at LEAST 96k.

Ah well...paid for convertors (several times) for something, I suppose, but really? As a Virus TI (x2) owner...colour me surprised if this is so.
Old 7th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Is this FACT? Fak!

I haven't even looked at those specs, but REALLY would have assumed we were talking 24 bit and at LEAST 96k.

Ah well...paid for convertors (several times) for something, I suppose, but really? As a Virus TI (x2) owner...colour me surprised if this is so.
Definitely fact, at the moment only 44.1kHz. Confirmed to me by email from Kemper Amps.
If they upgrade to 24bit 48kHz I will buy this thing in a second. At the moment, to avoid changing sample rates during projects etc. I would have to do the re-amping purely through the analog i/o. So I would have to buy a reamping box, and the signal would have at least three additional conversion processes. If the SPDIF worked at 48kHz, I could use purely digital connections.
Kemper, do it! I am sure you will have more than just one additional customer from enabling the SPDIF up to 24/96!!!

EDIT: Oh, and: Do it fast! My Axe Fx 2 should be available within the next two months (already waiting three months), and if I get it and like it, I will not waste another minute looking around for more gear, but make more music with the stuff I have! Sorry - I am totally unslutty in that regard!!! So, you have to be faster than Fractal! hehhehheh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search