The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear

Well, it is designed by the creator of the Virus, probably my all time favorite piece of gear. Which means, once available, I will definitely be grabbing one of these.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
By heavy what do you mean, do you mean Mesa Boogie heavy, or Splawn heavy, Marshall AFD, Engl Fireball or Peavey 5150 heavy?

The Kemper is full of those "heavy" tones.
In the first 10 days after release "owners" have already added to the stock heavy amp profiles.
Amps like, 5150, Marshall AFD100, Mesa Boogie MKV, Splawn Quickrod, Engl Fireball, etc, etc.

The most impressive part of the Kemper for me is the higher frequencies, they're not harsh, they're not ice picky, they sing, and the EQ controls on the KPA are so sensitive that every slight adjustment has an affect on the tone.
Listen to the Bad Cat clip on my Soundcloud page, listen to those high frequencies coming from a Tele into the Bad Cat profile...nothing harsh happening there.

You have to try this thing to believe it, it that impressive.
I'm talking 6505+ with drop A tuning (even a drop C example would be nice) with a guitar that has EMG's in there and a guitar player that can play metal. The only thing remotely close I found was a killswitch engage cover and it sounded great, but I can't base my decision off one sample, I'm sure you can understand. Do you know where I can possibly hear some more? Maybe some new ones have popped up.

I did test the Axe FX II for a drop A Metalcore. And while I find it definitely doesn't sound like a real amp with a mic as I know it, it still has its own distinctive sound which is a good one. The Axes higher frequencies are just not the same though, an I've become fond of this area for guitars in my mixes. If kemper can nail it, I'm sold
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
By heavy what do you mean, do you mean Mesa Boogie heavy, or Splawn heavy, Marshall AFD, Engl Fireball or Peavey 5150 heavy?

The Kemper is full of those "heavy" tones.
In the first 10 days after release "owners" have already added to the stock heavy amp profiles.
Amps like, 5150, Marshall AFD100, Mesa Boogie MKV, Splawn Quickrod, Engl Fireball, etc, etc.

The most impressive part of the Kemper for me is the higher frequencies, they're not harsh, they're not ice picky, they sing, and the EQ controls on the KPA are so sensitive that every slight adjustment has an affect on the tone.
Listen to the Bad Cat clip on my Soundcloud page, listen to those high frequencies coming from a Tele into the Bad Cat profile...nothing harsh happening there.

You have to try this thing to believe it, it that impressive.
...and again, I ask, "Where are all the clips of these killer high gain amp profiles?" ...and, "Where are the clips of high gain amps being played with a guitar that has a humbucker pu and not a frickin' strat or tele?"

I've heard everything from jazz to country to classic rock-ish tones, but hardly anything that really makes the KPA seem appealing to guys interested in the high gain stuff too.

Why is that? I'm speculating that maybe those tones and style of playing are more popular in the states and almost no one here has one...yet. Just a hunch.
Old 18th January 2012
They've got a forum now : Main Page - Kemper Amps Forum

Maybe you can submit a clean guitar track and have it re-amped by one of the owners in Europe? I'd be interested to hear the results too.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

I heard some pretty high gain clips on Youtube, search around and I am sure you will come across them. In my experience, high gain is the easiest thing to get close to with modeling - it's the clean and semi-clean tones that usually give up the modelers when compared to real amps. I am looking forward to playing one of these in person to really get an idea of how they play. I will say that, at least as far as I can tell, the main problem with this would be the same as the Axe-FX - they sound great when plugged in for studio recording, but getting a great sound out of a real cab in a room (for live use) proves much more difficult. I will download and read the manual to see if they speak to this particular unit's abilities in that regard.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I heard some pretty high gain clips on Youtube, search around and I am sure you will come across them. In my experience, high gain is the easiest thing to get close to with modeling - it's the clean and semi-clean tones that usually give up the modelers when compared to real amps. I am looking forward to playing one of these in person to really get an idea of how they play. I will say that, at least as far as I can tell, the main problem with this would be the same as the Axe-FX - they sound great when plugged in for studio recording, but getting a great sound out of a real cab in a room (for live use) proves much more difficult. I will download and read the manual to see if they speak to this particular unit's abilities in that regard.
Funny you say that because I think it's a piece of cake getting a killer tone through an amp and cab with my AxefxII. When I've done some critical listening between a mic'd AxefxII and a mic'd tube amp, I DO, unfortunately, hear a small improvement in (pick your adjective) from the tube amp.
Old 18th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Well, it is designed by the creator of the Virus, probably my all time favorite piece of gear. Which means, once available, I will definitely be grabbing one of these.
As would I, but one big feature of the Virus TI is sadly missing from the KPA - namely the TI part! With no USB Audio, it lacks the elegant DAW integration and reamping functionality of the Eleven Rack. Gutted.
Old 18th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
Funny you say that because I think it's a piece of cake getting a killer tone through an amp and cab with my AxefxII. When I've done some critical listening between a mic'd AxefxII and a mic'd tube amp, I DO, unfortunately, hear a small improvement in (pick your adjective) from the tube amp.
Part of the issue I had was the endless pairing with different power amps and speaker cabs....made me appreciate the simplicity of a regular amp. I first tried leaving the speaker sim on and using a full frequency amp and speaker, but that just sounded plastic to me. Then I turned it off and used a few different cabs, but it sounded muffled to me. At the end of the day I just went with the AxeFX in the studio, and real amps live. It would be ideal to use the amps on the record, then clone the sounds to just take the Kemper live rather than hauling several boutique amps around.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
As would I, but one big feature of the Virus TI is sadly missing from the KPA - namely the TI part! With no USB Audio, it lacks the elegant DAW integration and reamping functionality of the Eleven Rack. Gutted.
Of course you can re-amp on the Kemper.

The "Direct Outs" send a dry guitar signal.
Old 21st January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
...and again, I ask, "Where are all the clips of these killer high gain amp profiles?"
Kemper - Sad But True Intro Mix Test by xpenno on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This Profile was made by a guy the first day he got his Kemper, it's an old Triple Rectifier 2 channel version using an SM58.
Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

"Where are all the clips of these killer high gain amp profiles?"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13143797/Kil...20KPA%20EQ.mp3
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety View Post
"Where are all the clips of these killer high gain amp profiles?"

Great Tweety! I got excited when I saw your post only to discover that it was a link to the only good high gain clip that's been floating around for quite a while now.

It DOES sound good, but for as long as the KPA has been hyped on the internet and for as long as KPA owners and beta testers have had this thing, doesn't it seem strange that that one clip you posted is really the only one on the great world wide web that's really worth a damn?
I've heard clips done with RevalverII that were very well produced and sounded amazing so I can't listen to one clip and determine the KPA does what they claim. The very few clips out there of guys just noodling with high gain tones don't sound that inspiring to my ears and there aren't even very many clips of those to listen to. It just seems strange to me that the high gain arena from 80's rock through modern metal sounds have, for the most part, either been ignored or very poorly demonstrated in their videos and clips.

Again, I'm not saying it can't. I really want this thing to live up to the hype. It just seems a bit curious that a pretty big audience of rock/metal guitar players have been left to wonder how this thing really sounds.

On top of that, they posted some pic and info about some phenom guitar player that was going to be their official "dude" to help promote the KPA, but as far as I know, there aren't any clips out there of this guy playing the KPA. This was a while back so not sure what's going on there. If I missed some clips, I'd love to hear them. I'm sure the guy is great. I just forgot his name.
Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

thanxs man!

it was a short test with the di-tracks from the "ultimatemetal" forum.
the kpa profiles are from my diezel herbert and my peavey jsx.
Old 23rd January 2012
Quote:
On top of that, they posted some pic and info about some phenom guitar player that was going to be their official "dude" to help promote the KPA, but as far as I know, there aren't any clips out there of this guy playing the KPA. This was a while back so not sure what's going on there. If I missed some clips, I'd love to hear them. I'm sure the guy is great. I just forgot his name.
Do you remember who this was? Everyone I've seen them link to has videos up showing them using the Kemper.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Do you remember who this was? Everyone I've seen them link to has videos up showing them using the Kemper.
From Kemper's site: "Introducing: ALESSANDRO DE CRESCENZO! Guitarist extraordinaire with a very musical name (indeed!) is now the official Kemper Profiling Amp demonstrator for the italian distributor Soundwave. Meet at the next workshop or tradeshow!!"

Since this announcement, as far as I can tell, not one clip of him showcasing the KPA. I guess we'll have to fly to Italy and go to a trade show to hear him playing the kpa. If there are clips of him with the KPA, I'd love to hear them.
Old 23rd January 2012
You mean this guy (not playing a Kemper here AFAIK)?

You're right, iv'e not seen any Kemper vids of this guy, but he doesn't exactly play what I'd consider metal though. He does the Italian distribution/trade shows only according tot that post of theirs.

There's plenty of that kind of stuff being produced though if that's what you like. e.g.

And Peter Fischer did a bunch in that sort of vein, not sounds that I consider to be great guitar amp sounds at all to me these are very synthetic sounds, but part of that style, they're super easy for any amp sim to recreate though.

The thing is though that stuff doesn't really show off an amp sim, it shows off a guitarist that's all. I'd much rather hear a simple demo where I can hear how the notes sustain and decay, how the chords sound (and how rich and harmonically complex it sounds) as well as individual notes. Some of their profiling demos show higher gain amps and how they react and sound e.g.

And there's the demos from early on before it even become beta

and early on once it did

And you can hear more of just example tones that come with it in a link I posted earlier on in the "Is Digital Amp modeling the future of guitar tone?" ridiculous thread in the high end area.

These ones are someone just going through all the presets that come with the Kemper and noodling away to themselves :

A comparison between a profiled amp and the kemper amp.
1,3 - Kemper
2,4 - Real amp that was profiled by the Kemper

And another recto test someone did on their first day with it

(Flac version : http://www.rockandload.co.uk/kemper/recto.zip )

Sad But True intro (with way more gain than necessary)

(and the FLAC http://www.rockandload.co.uk/kemper/sadbuttrueintro.zip )

And something more in the crunch territory, a Slash signature Marshall doing what it does

To be fair there've been an absolute tonne of demos posted over on "The Gear page" and now that it's finally released in Europe a fair few on the Kemper forum itself, but it's true there's barely anything that's what I'd consider to be heavy (Cannibal Corpse, Strapping Young Lad etc). Until it gets to this side of the Atlantic I doubt we're going to see that much heavier stuff (which is a shame as northern Europe is renowned for it's black metal, but I guess they just don't like expensive amp modellers).
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
From Kemper's site: "Introducing: ALESSANDRO DE CRESCENZO! Guitarist extraordinaire with a very musical name (indeed!) is now the official Kemper Profiling Amp demonstrator for the italian distributor Soundwave. Meet at the next workshop or tradeshow!!"

Since this announcement, as far as I can tell, not one clip of him showcasing the KPA. I guess we'll have to fly to Italy and go to a trade show to hear him playing the kpa. If there are clips of him with the KPA, I'd love to hear them.
Are you by any chance an Axe-FX owner?

EDIT:
Sorry, just read your previous posts...wasn't hard to guess you're an Axe-FX owner.

Don't stress yourself about the Kemper, no need to DEMAND clips, just stick with your Axe-FX11.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you by any chance an Axe-FX owner?

EDIT:
Sorry, just read your previous posts...wasn't hard to guess you're an Axe-FX owner.

Don't stress yourself about the Kemper, no need to DEMAND clips, just stick with your Axe-FX11.
Your post above is senseless and it's a feeble attempt at an attack because I may have a different opinion than you. You asked a question which I've already answered to try and put me in the category of the Fractal fanbois, which I'm not.
Show me one quote from me where I DEMANDED clips. You won't find one. I don't have that mentality regardless of what you may think. I've simply voiced an opinion that a lot of people have about the KPA and high gain clips. Are you suggesting that because I own one product, I can't have an opinion on another? Take off your forum N a z i uniform and come on back down to earth because life is too short to act like that.
AS I'VE SAID ALREADY, I'm very excited about the KPA and am hoping it lives up to the hype because as good as the Axefx2 is, I still feel there are a few percentage points missing from it when compared to a tube amp. All I do is recording/songwriting and I am very much hoping the KPA has succeeded in making it indistinguishable from a tube amp when a proper profile has been done.
I am rooting for the KPA and not trying to shoot it down as you tried to portray me so lose the tude dude because we're probably on the same side of whatever silly argument you think you're a part of.

...and to mdme_sadie, thanks for the clips. The recto clip and "Sad but true" clip I hadn't heard before and they were quite a bit better than the other high gain clips I've heard. Sounded pretty much like a cranked Mesa to me.

cheers,
Steve
Old 23rd January 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

You'll love it.
Old 23rd January 2012
Gear Maniac

Here is a clip of Namm that showcases the Kemper doing some Heavy tones Namm 2012 Metal coverage - Day 2 - YouTube

clip starts at about 1:07
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Addict

I got my Kemper two days ago and I'm blown away! I am doing Metal Productions pretty much exclusively and I can safely say the Kemper will nail heavy tones without any problems whatsoever. I sounds and FEELS awesome! Yesterday just for fun I was profiling my JCM 800 with Soldano Hotmod and I couldn't quite believe the outcome. It sounded and felt so close to the amp that the very minor difference (if there was any at all) was negligible. Even more important after two-three minutes of further tweaking I go a sound that still had the unreal attack of the marshall and it's glorious low mid roar but with trademarks I couldn't get with the marshall alone. Powersagging and Preamp Definition Parameters are awesome for heavy stuff and after you played a little with them you'll find afterwards you won't need a tubescreamer anymore to smooth out the tone. I love it and it will get tons of use in my studio and playing live with my bands...
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock View Post
I got my Kemper two days ago and I'm blown away! I am doing Metal Productions pretty much exclusively and I can safely say the Kemper will nail heavy tones without any problems whatsoever. I sounds and FEELS awesome! Yesterday just for fun I was profiling my JCM 800 with Soldano Hotmod and I couldn't quite believe the outcome. It sounded and felt so close to the amp that the very minor difference (if there was any at all) was negligible. Even more important after two-three minutes of further tweaking I go a sound that still had the unreal attack of the marshall and it's glorious low mid roar but with trademarks I couldn't get with the marshall alone. Powersagging and Preamp Definition Parameters are awesome for heavy stuff and after you played a little with them you'll find afterwards you won't need a tubescreamer anymore to smooth out the tone. I love it and it will get tons of use in my studio and playing live with my bands...
How are the cab emulations when running the KPA direct? Does the Pick feature work well with heavy gain sounds?

Thanks!

Sven
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Stock View Post
That's great news.

If you ever share your JCM800 Soldano Hotmod profiles I look forward to trying them.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean this guy (not playing a Kemper here AFAIK)?

You're right, iv'e not seen any Kemper vids of this guy, but he doesn't exactly play what I'd consider metal though. He does the Italian distribution/trade shows only according tot that post of theirs.

There's plenty of that kind of stuff being produced though if that's what you like. e.g.

And Peter Fischer did a bunch in that sort of vein, not sounds that I consider to be great guitar amp sounds at all to me these are very synthetic sounds, but part of that style, they're super easy for any amp sim to recreate though.

The thing is though that stuff doesn't really show off an amp sim, it shows off a guitarist that's all. I'd much rather hear a simple demo where I can hear how the notes sustain and decay, how the chords sound (and how rich and harmonically complex it sounds) as well as individual notes. Some of their profiling demos show higher gain amps and how they react and sound e.g.

And there's the demos from early on before it even become beta

and early on once it did

And you can hear more of just example tones that come with it in a link I posted earlier on in the "Is Digital Amp modeling the future of guitar tone?" ridiculous thread in the high end area.

These ones are someone just going through all the presets that come with the Kemper and noodling away to themselves :

A comparison between a profiled amp and the kemper amp.
1,3 - Kemper
2,4 - Real amp that was profiled by the Kemper

And another recto test someone did on their first day with it

(Flac version : http://www.rockandload.co.uk/kemper/recto.zip )

Sad But True intro (with way more gain than necessary)

(and the FLAC http://www.rockandload.co.uk/kemper/sadbuttrueintro.zip )

And something more in the crunch territory, a Slash signature Marshall doing what it does

To be fair there've been an absolute tonne of demos posted over on "The Gear page" and now that it's finally released in Europe a fair few on the Kemper forum itself, but it's true there's barely anything that's what I'd consider to be heavy (Cannibal Corpse, Strapping Young Lad etc). Until it gets to this side of the Atlantic I doubt we're going to see that much heavier stuff (which is a shame as northern Europe is renowned for it's black metal, but I guess they just don't like expensive amp modellers).

Some of those could be ok if that horrible digital delay wasn't so overwhelming.
Old 24th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Some of those could be ok if that horrible digital delay wasn't so overwhelming.
You might need to be a little more specific. You quoted a huge post with a tonne of examples, not very many of them had any delay at all (I think only the three Peter Fischer ones at the beginning).
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Does anyone know the coming availability of this unit?
Old 25th January 2012
It's available in Europe, but for those of us in the US we're still waiting. I talked to a rep at Sweetwater and they said likely end of February. I hear you can order it from Thomann though and it's actually cheaper that way (even after including import duty which I believe is 5%).
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's available in Europe, but for those of us in the US we're still waiting. I talked to a rep at Sweetwater and they said likely end of February. I hear you can order it from Thomann though and it's actually cheaper that way (even after including import duty which I believe is 5%).
Thanks for the info!
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Some kemper Audio

Diesel Profile Reamping a Killswitch Engage Song

Kemper Retro Flac
http://www.rockandload.co.uk/kemper/recto.zip

Some More Highgain Kemper Tests here Lots Of Amp Profiles
Kemper - Mesa by xpenno on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Interesting Theatrical Kemper Highgain Clip
http://soundcloud.com/chrisbeaver/ma...ure-suite-2012
Old 27th January 2012
New Marshall Plexi clip, sadly it's a bit drenched in reverb but you still get to hear the amp as it sounds, which to my ears is the closest I've ever heard from any amp sim, in fact good enough that I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference on record.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search