The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

So i just found out the australian distributor is planning to sell the Kemper in Australia for just under $2600 AUD, when US stores are planning to sell for $1850. Even if i had to pay import tax, i can still make a profitable business buying them and selling them in my own country at a more competitive price if i wanted to. The US dollar is almost smack bang on with the Aussie dollar, and the products come from Europe. I'll be buying from the states if i decide to pick this product up. Still waiting to hear how it handles high gain tones, as that is majority of my business.
Old 30th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Another demo track someone made when they had their paws on it briefly in their studio and posted on another forum.

Sounds pretty decent to my ears.
I was in that studio when the recording was done, we had a Marshall TSL and 2x12 in the same studio that was still mic'd from the previous days recording session.
Before the Kemper session we were playing through the mic'd TSL and listening through the studio monitors, playing through the Kemper listening through the same studio monitors was an identical experience.
We used basic profiles, no time was spent tweaking at all, what you hear is what you get from the Kemper out the box when you switch it on.

This recording sounds pretty amazing to my ears, try doing that recording by miking a real JCM800 & Mesa Roadking and I doubt it will sound any better.
Keep in mind, no studio tricks were invloved here, it was like sitting at home and plugging the Kemper into a soundcard and recording over a backing track.
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, you just said the player will trump the gear, meaning that a good player will sound good no matter what the gear. So that should sorta answer your question. The point is to show off the gear not the guitarist. "You too will be able to get x sound" rather than pretending that "you too will sound like Steve Vai".

You should also check the dates used on these posts. That was a few months back, Kemper now have some very good guitarists showing off their stuff live.

The thing is, the point of the Kemper as I see it is about sounding like a real amp. You can't hear that with a ****ty ego driven guitarist lathering on 50 of their favorite ****e 80's effects, nor playing 50 notes per second. Fret******y is for tossers who want to polish a turd. So it's fortunate that a lot of the people who are beta testing this are just enthusiasts, maybe people who even build their own amps and are profiling them. You get people who will play in a way that showcases the sound of the amp rather than the sound of the guitarist. Thank god is all I can say. It shouldn't need to hind behind that if it's any good.

BTW if you want to hear a bunch of different clips by testers as they've been exploring the unit then check this thread : Kemper BT Soundclips Part II, Continually updated - The Gear Page
Well said.
Old 6th December 2011
Gear Head

Here's one for all you Country Chickin Pickin fans.

Some Fender amp Profiles and a Dual Rectifier at the end.

Kemper Profiling Amplifier - The tracks of the people group on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Maniac

I unpacked my Kemper Profiling Amp a couple of days ago (12/10/2011)

I must say. I'm completely blown away with her. Here's a track I threw together- a simple clean tone performed with a Fender Strat into the KPA and into my DAW Ableton Live (I have always wrestled with getting a clean tone that doesn't sound sterile and flat up tlil now!) (And the bass went threw her as well?)

Higher quality:

http://chucksilva.bandcamp.com/track/hello-hans

Here's an Ableton Live jam featuring the KPA that was thrown together and is a bit sloppy, but hopefully it showcases a little bit of this beast- I'm checking out some of the patches...

Fender Strat straight into the KPA and into Ableton-no FX other than the outstanding one's in the KPA.

Last edited by Earthling; 14th December 2011 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: Add website
Old 14th December 2011
Nice tracks and sounds. How did you get-a-hold of your KPA BTW? I thought they weren't shipping yet.
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Nice tracks and sounds. How did you get-a-hold of your KPA BTW? I thought they weren't shipping yet.
I got lucky? I was selected to be part of their pioneering team? I'm not worthy but certainly appreciate it?

It is incredibley crazy stupid cool...it just works and doesn't 'feel' digital at all. Just plug it in and go go go!!!!!!I have not been happy with my guitar tone and had started to experiment with mics and amps-but that was killing my creative flow?

Anywayyyyyyyyyy

Can you tell I'm geeked???...Mr Kemper is going to be a VERY wealthy man! And thank you Christoph for pimpen my guitar world...

Thanks for your positive words!
Old 14th December 2011
Well color me green with envy :D From the sound of your playing though I think you deserve it, I'm sure those tracks will pique lots more interest for Mr. Kemper.

Do you have any experience of other modellers out there? Any thoughts on how it compares to them, or stacks up to real amps?
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well color me green with envy :D From the sound of your playing though I think you deserve it, I'm sure those tracks will pique lots more interest for Mr. Kemper.

Do you have any experience of other modellers out there? Any thoughts on how it compares to them, or stacks up to real amps?
I really want to maintain my humility here but my experience with modlers has been mixed. I had been (and will still I guess?) using the Line 6 Pod X 3. At first I loved it until I found it's many short comings? Those short comings would be it's cold digital sound and it's complexity and un ease of use-**** work flow? And I have Komplete 7 and Guitar Rig 4? I love it all BUT didn't like it for guitar. I personally like to experiment and so modelers are great for that-you know-for doing something with a modern twist/twisting up the sounds etc?

Ooops I'm on a tangent...sorry.

I guess it's safe to say that these things are SO subjective-you know? I was apprehensive of the KPA-doubtful that it would deliver. I'm happy to say that -so far- it's been a joy and the FX are also SO SO good-the [email protected]#$^ker just sounds good to these ears? And I notice that when I look at the file after I've recorded a guitar track is phatt? You know it just makes getting a quality guitar tone a no brainer? And that is good for those of us with out a brain.

da da da da dadada da da da da dadada if I only had a brain....hey..they don't call me Chucky Cheeze for nothing???.....
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
I unpacked my Kemper Profiling Amp a couple of days ago (12/10/2011)

I must say. I'm completely blown away with her. Here's a track I threw together- a simple clean tone performed with a Fender Strat into the KPA and into my DAW Ableton Live (I have always wrestled with getting a clean tone that doesn't sound sterile and flat up tlil now!) (And the bass went threw her as well?)
bass strictly Kemper ?
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

In order to use this live with a rectifier cab what would be needed? If I can figure that part out I might sell my tremoverb for this!
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Our KPA arrived last week. My initial impression with ours is very good.

Many of the profiles were made with the actual amplifiers and equipment owned by my studio, so saying I'm very familiar with them is no overstatement.

One practical use for the Kemper I really look forward to trying is as a "rig backup" - to profile an artist's session's amps so that the Kemper can be used for any overdubs, fixes, additions, etc.

YMMV, but I really encourage ya'll to try this beast!
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
bass strictly Kemper ?
It is strictly Kemper. I'm not much of a bass player and I wasn't sure what would happen if I put it though it but was pleasantly surprised. The bass is a Fender Jazz bass-nothing fancy...

This is coming from the perspective of a project studio (bedroom) musician?
Old 15th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post

Many of the profiles were made with the actual amplifiers and equipment owned by my studio, so saying I'm very familiar with them is no overstatement.

One practical use for the Kemper I really look forward to trying is as a "rig backup" - to profile an artist's session's amps so that the Kemper can be used for any overdubs, fixes, additions, etc.

Wow! how cool is that? Very impressive! I wonder which ones came from your studio? They all sound great to me...can you tell I'm geeked?
Old 15th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post

Don't forget to do a backup of the rig backup... y'know, just in case someone comes asking ;D.

It could certainly put a stop to the whole "what was the signal chain used on x" threads, imagine the disappointment on peoples faces when they do get to actually play with the exact sound and still don't sound like their rock idol. :D

OK, I'm being mean. Exciting times if it actually gives you the feel and sound of those amps with any degree of accuracy. The question is, does it?

Does it still have the amp sim tells (phasey comb filter sounds, fizzyness or worse blanket over speaker, too even/smooth sounds, unrealistic feel etc)? Or would you feel comfortable using it in place of those amps in all situations (once you'd dialed in the sound you wanted on the original and profiled it of course)?
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is strictly Kemper. I'm not much of a bass player and I wasn't sure what would happen if I put it though it but was pleasantly surprised. The bass is a Fender Jazz bass-nothing fancy...

This is coming from the perspective of a project studio (bedroom) musician?
very promising for the first audio example with bass
Old 1st January 2012
Gear Maniac

Hello gearslutz comrades!

Hear's a couple more examples inspired by the insanely cool Kemper Profiling Amp (yeah, I know I'm a little over the top but I'm really loving this thing).

I have a very modest set up. Ableton Live is my DAW of choice. It is just a bedroom recording.

I'm using a Fender Strat. AS we know they are bright and brittle which I like but is not to everyone's taste.

The Fender Jazz bass to is going through the KPA (not sure I'm suposed to do that but-oh well?)

Again absolutely no processing other than the quality on board fx.

This is an 'old school' funk jam inspired by the KPA:

This next track is a bizarre 'Rock' thing that has Omnisphere in it on chanting voices and the bass too is Omnisphere:

(this track I call Dear Mother in tribute to our beautious planet that gives us life-I know-too many drugs when I was a teen )

Last edited by Earthling; 2nd January 2012 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: spelling...
Old 2nd January 2012
Nice tracks, they may not be the guitar sounds I'd personally go when playing but they're fairly "real" sounding for an amp sim.
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Head

Well, it's finally shipping and now everyone can understand why we've been raving about this thing for the last few months. heh

It's a magical box, that's for sure, Christophe Kemper is a magician.
Old 13th January 2012
It's not shipping in the US yet and they still keep pushing back the release date. We'll see what happens at NAMM now, but by the time they do release they could have some serious competition for the GAS stakes.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
It's not shipping in the US yet and they still keep pushing back the release date. We'll see what happens at NAMM now, but by the time they do release they could have some serious competition for the GAS stakes.
They're all setup at NAMM and ready to go.
IMO, nothing at NAMM will compete with the KPA, it's in a league all of it's own.
Even if it couldn't make profiles it is still the best sounding digital guitar tone device on the market.

The profiles that have been made by the first owners since it's release 2 weeks ago have been brilliant.
Even an average made profile that sounded a bit dull straight up can be turned into a fantastic tone in 20 seconds using the Kempers EQ & gain knobs, without touching any of the deep editing parameters or even changing cabs...it's that easy.

You don't believe me? Take one home for a few days and I bet you won't return it.
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
IMO, nothing at NAMM will compete with the KPA, it's in a league all of it's own.
Even if it couldn't make profiles it is still the best sounding digital guitar tone device on the market.

The profiles that have been made by the first owners since it's release 2 weeks ago have been brilliant.
Even an average made profile that sounded a bit dull straight up can be turned into a fantastic tone in 20 seconds using the Kempers EQ & gain knobs, without touching any of the deep editing parameters or even changing cabs...it's that easy.

You don't believe me? Take one home for a few days and I bet you won't return it.
Do you own one? I may be wrong, but your post read like a guy who's listened to some clips and is now an expert.

I have no agenda here and I REALLY hope that the KPA is everything they've hyped it to be, but I think you forgot to mention the fact that some KPA owners are saying that some of the magic is still missing that the tube amp had.

I'm a tube amp and AxefxII owner. The axefxII is frickin' incredible and the "realness" factor of it's tones are a good 95% as good as any tube amp out there. For playing live, most people aren't going to notice the difference and it makes for an awesome, simple rig. For recording, most people who really strive to get the absolute best tones possible care about that last 5%. I've tried to tell myself it doesn't matter for the last couple years, but it does in the context of recording imo.
Will the KPA claim the full 100% sound, feel, response and tone of the greatest tube amps on the planet? The jury is still out and will be for a while since this thing is in it's infancy and, like the Axefx, will be improved upon with future firmware updates.
If you ARE a KPA owner, then how about putting YOUR clips where your mouth is? Let's hear a killer, cranked Mesa, Diezel or Engl tone. Then how about a cranked Marshall, Fender and Vox so we can listen and be enlightened?
So far, I've heard some clean and semi-distorted clips that sounded very good, but I've yet to hear any clips of moderate to high gain tones that I couldn't easily get or do better than with my AxefxII. I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying the jury is still out. I would LOVE it if the KPA captures that subtle bit of magic that I haven't been able to squeeze out of the Axefx.
...so, let's hear your clips!?
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
Do you own one? I may be wrong, but your post read like a guy who's listened to some clips and is now an expert.

I have no agenda here and I REALLY hope that the KPA is everything they've hyped it to be, but I think you forgot to mention the fact that some KPA owners are saying that some of the magic is still missing that the tube amp had.

I'm a tube amp and AxefxII owner. The axefxII is frickin' incredible and the "realness" factor of it's tones are a good 95% as good as any tube amp out there. For playing live, most people aren't going to notice the difference and it makes for an awesome, simple rig. For recording, most people who really strive to get the absolute best tones possible care about that last 5%. I've tried to tell myself it doesn't matter for the last couple years, but it does in the context of recording imo.
Will the KPA claim the full 100% sound, feel, response and tone of the greatest tube amps on the planet? The jury is still out and will be for a while since this thing is in it's infancy and, like the Axefx, will be improved upon with future firmware updates.
If you ARE a KPA owner, then how about putting YOUR clips where your mouth is? Let's hear a killer, cranked Mesa, Diezel or Engl tone. Then how about a cranked Marshall, Fender and Vox so we can listen and be enlightened?
So far, I've heard some clean and semi-distorted clips that sounded very good, but I've yet to hear any clips of moderate to high gain tones that I couldn't easily get or do better than with my AxefxII. I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying the jury is still out. I would LOVE it if the KPA captures that subtle bit of magic that I haven't been able to squeeze out of the Axefx.
...so, let's hear your clips!?
Right on!....for the record I too have no agenda what so ever. And my post above are from a 'bedroom' home recording guy-not a professional.

Even though I own the KPA I'm not intending on getting rid of my Line 6 Pod x3-I think it's cool for some stuff. And I would LOVE LOVE LOVE an AxeFX Ultra and will get one when I can afford one too. (Help! Gearslut elert!)

Regarding 'real amp tone'. Yeah?-who wouldn't love a state of the art studio chock full of amps-mics and pre amps and more importantly a knowledgeable dude/producer/engineer to put it all together?

I am digging the KPA but I'm not sure I'm going to make the statement that it equals a 'real' amp?

I think it will be interesting to see these technologies take us beyond the past? And into the future?
Old 15th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post

Uh, while I would love to be able to take one home to try it out, but the point is I can't, they're not available.

Looking at the number of registered users on their forums it doesn't look like there's high volume production going on in europe either, so I doubt they'll be readily available for a very long time even once they start officially selling them in the US. I suspect it will be similar to the AxeFX with waiting lists and the rest.
Old 15th January 2012
Quote:
Right on!....for the record I too have no agenda what so ever. And my post above are from a 'bedroom' home recording guy-not a professional.

Even though I own the KPA I'm not intending on getting rid of my Line 6 Pod x3-I think it's cool for some stuff. And I would LOVE LOVE LOVE an AxeFX Ultra and will get one when I can afford one too. (Help! Gearslut elert!)

Regarding 'real amp tone'. Yeah?-who wouldn't love a state of the art studio chock full of amps-mics and pre amps and more importantly a knowledgeable dude/producer/engineer to put it all together?

I am digging the KPA but I'm not sure I'm going to make the statement that it equals a 'real' amp?

I think it will be interesting to see these technologies take us beyond the past? And into the future?
Ouch, the fact that you're not ready to instantly drop your Pod X3 isn't exactly a glowing review, the X3 was a pile of dung. If the KPA can't sound and feel like a real amp (or at least more so than a really ****ty Pod) then I'm afraid I just don't see the point and I suspect that'll be the same feeling from most others on this site, especially at that price. I don't need a studio full of mediocre sounding amps, just one great one.
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Here's yet another KPA inspired track that I'll take the liberty to post. I apologize to the Rockers out there. I'm not into it any more. I'm sure it won't be long before there will be tons of rocked out Kemper Heads to check out.

In the mean time perhaps someone will find this useful in some way?

What I'm noticing is that it's just such a no brainer to get a nice tone into the computer-just plug in and go. The wave files look fat...and the amp seems to have an air to it-not that sterile sound you get from say- the Pod X3 (sometimes I want that sterile sound though for modern bizarre stuff that I'm into?)

While this track does not feature guitar it was inspired by the KPA.

It's a clean warm stratish -guitar-I'm happy with the way it sits in the mix-no mus no fuss?

The Fender Jazz bass to0 is going through the KPA.

Last edited by Earthling; 15th January 2012 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
Here's my Soundcloud page.

Temper59's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

For the last 8 months the Axe-FX owners have called "Vaporware", impossible, it will never release, blah, blah.
Well, a few of those guys now have their Kempers, ask them now what they think.
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting Review Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDhwM0s03I
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

Good YouTube review!
I'm almost sold, but part of me feels frustrated at kemper for never bothering to release demo vids for the heavy players. I emailed them twice about it, and can imagine they would have had hundreds of requests.
The deciding factor me is how it reacts in the higher frequencies 1k and up, because that's where the axe and others fall short for me and my recordings. I'm getting a hands on the axe II today in the studio and am keen to see how good it really is
Old 16th January 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Good YouTube review!
I'm almost sold, but part of me feels frustrated at kemper for never bothering to release demo vids for the heavy players. I emailed them twice about it, and can imagine they would have had hundreds of requests.
The deciding factor me is how it reacts in the higher frequencies 1k and up, because that's where the axe and others fall short for me and my recordings. I'm getting a hands on the axe II today in the studio and am keen to see how good it really is
By heavy what do you mean, do you mean Mesa Boogie heavy, or Splawn heavy, Marshall AFD, Engl Fireball or Peavey 5150 heavy?

The Kemper is full of those "heavy" tones.
In the first 10 days after release "owners" have already added to the stock heavy amp profiles.
Amps like, 5150, Marshall AFD100, Mesa Boogie MKV, Splawn Quickrod, Engl Fireball, etc, etc.

The most impressive part of the Kemper for me is the higher frequencies, they're not harsh, they're not ice picky, they sing, and the EQ controls on the KPA are so sensitive that every slight adjustment has an affect on the tone.
Listen to the Bad Cat clip on my Soundcloud page, listen to those high frequencies coming from a Tele into the Bad Cat profile...nothing harsh happening there.

You have to try this thing to believe it, it that impressive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search