The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Really wish these guys would finally get around to doing a video that's recorded well and also features a world class guitar player. So far, the actual recordings I've come across are totally low fi and the players just aren't as amazing as this piece supposedly is.
I totally second that! Of course they should have a 'world class' guitarist demoing a 'world class' product? And please not just R&R or Metal-Ugg! What about us R&B/Jazz/Funk guys?

This product certainly looks interesting and I can tell you that Hans Joerg-Scheffler-the Thread Starter dude is no slouch:

Spectrasonics Artisans - Hans Joerg-Scheffler

However, I am WAY dubious.

I would love to be a beta tester-I'm certain I could contribute.

I live about a mile from Bruce Egnator. He had a little amp repair shop in Berkley Michigan and he used to fix my amps and I have a vintage Fender Champ that he moded..bla bla bla...i wonder what he would think of this?

Like you guys I too hope this is as cool as it looks.
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredX View Post
I would love a Kemper, and I'm sure I'll buy one, but wouldn't it be better to have one sound that's 100% what you want rather than a ton that are 95% I don't even own any expensive high-gain amps but I'm looking into getting an Invader, and if I can get 3 or 4 mindblowing sounds out of that I should be all set. The rest is just for fun, or for studios that can't buy and store every great amp.

And to Guitarrzan, you said

"FYI, I own an Egnater M4, Engl E570 AND and Axefx Ultra. All 3 are amazing."

just interested to know which you use the most, and why.
Since getting the Axefx2, I sold both the Engl and the Egnater. I didn't need to sell them to buy the Axefx2. I just played the Axefx and realized that if in fact the Axefx2 DOESN'T sound 100% as good as a real tube path, it sounds so good and so close that I really don't care. I have still kept my Randall Rt2/50 tube power amp and Lexicon 284, which I use for it's 3 watt tube power section. I haven't done any critical listening yet with the Axe2 to compare direct recorded tracks with those run through a tube power section, mics, pre's etc. When I get around to doing that, if I find that the direct tracks sound as good or the difference is negligable, the power amps will likely go too.
I've really shifted gears lately and reduced my gear list and lust to get down to the stuff that I use on a regular basis. I just have a home studio for my songwriting and don't have clients to impress etc. I had some cool, but really unneccessary gear so it's gone.
Back to Kemper...I want one of these badly, if for nothing else so I can compare it to the AxefxII and see which one has the best raw amp tone. The axefx is just a monster for great effects, routing and control possibilities, but I'm curious how the Kemper stacks up to it when both are just stripped down to simulating an amp and cab.
The Kemper captures the mic and air between etc when doing it's thing, but I'm not sure that's really any different than taking a modelled amp and using a cab impulse like the Axefx does. The impulse captures the mic and air too so it will be interesting to hear which method of amp simulation is the closest to the real thing.
One last thing about modelling in general...it seems a lot of people get real hung up on whether or not a model nails exactly a particular amp and imo, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. You take your boutique amp and let 10 guys play it in 10 different rooms and they're all going to have a different opinion on the character of that amp. What I love about the Axefx2 is that I can take the basic plexi tone, for example, and give it the personality and character I LIKE. I could care less if it's an authentic recreation of the one Joe Blow used on his platinum album etc. You can get hundreds of different tones out of just the plexi model with some tweaking so if you don't think the basic factory model sounds like the plexi you KNOW is the correct one, you just turn some knobs until you have the "correct" plexi tone.

cheers,
Steve
Old 30th July 2011
Lives for gear

I wish this would arrive already!!!!! Any more users out there to add their experiences?
Old 1st August 2011
Lives for gear

list price € 1450,-(confirmed from the developer in the latest video)
still waiting to hear how it handles a SlapBass
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Just thought I'd share with you guys an email I got back from Kemper last week. I had asked a few questions and here's what they had to say:

"thank you very much for your email and interest in our products.
Yes, we have plans for a Rackversion but not to be released soon.
We're releasing the Kemper Profiling Amplifier in September 2011.
The MAP is around 1800 USD and not fixed at the moment.�

Sincerely,
Oliver Munyak"
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

This is interesting. I'm also very interested in it's bass amp capabilities. Seems like a must have studio tool for me "on paper" anyway
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Here is a preliminar​y list of Amplifiers​ available on the kemper:
Soldano Lead 50
Soldano SLO 100
Bogner Ecstasy
BadCat Combo
Fuchs Overdrive Supreme
Custom Audio OD 100
Marshall JCM 800
Vox AC30
Orange RockVerb
Mesa Boogie Roadking
60s Princeton (by Tyler)
Matchless
65 London
div. Bassman Amps
Jtm 45
69 Fender Twin
81 Fender Twin
Fender DeLuxe
Boogie Mk II and III
Ampeg Combo
Plexi
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

cant wait to hear the Ampeg on bass
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Two New Videos

Had to revive this thread... cause it sure seems the Kemper is KILLING.

The end of the 2nd one has a gorgeous clean Vibrolux sound and the other one is all rawk but the sound is deadly.

By the way, I have no idea how to imbed these but here are the links.

Kemper Performance Sessions - Benny Young at No.1 Guitar Center Festival - YouTube

Kemper Profiling Amplifier - Michael Ripoll's first encounter session - YouTube
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not going to lie, I check kemper's Facebook everyday.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Kemper's getting a lot of use here in Nashville - the results are amazing, IMHO!
Old 12th September 2011
Have you played it? I really want to know whether it plays as well as the real amp or at least as well as an AxeFX with no discernable latency (I'm a little sensitive to that, I can't even play older Pods because of the latency on them that feels like a slapback echo to me), and of course if the sound really does match the original profiled amp that closely, or if it's just an eq/convolution + fancy distortion pedal fake.

I really hope it can live up to the hype. In the vids at least it's the first amp sim I've heard where I'm not thinking "plastic modeler sound".
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

I'd like to see them or someone else do "profiling" for guitars. I recently read about a new technology for digitally converting acoustic instrument signals into a digital signal in lieu of midi that captures the entire dynamic range of the instrument and the notes played. Essentially it makes use of a film attached to the bridge of an instrument. It seems like the technology for that is not far off, but I would still like to know if it could be done with just the audio signal from a guitar. Now wouldn't that be amazing if Kemper could add that as a software update down the line, then it would be considered the absolute Napster for guitarists!
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Oh, I forgot to say that I think they could possibly still allow for individuals to do their own profiling of guitars by simply providing for a secondary accessory to purchase. In theory, I believe it can be applied by utilizing a device that can magnetically apply a dynamic impulse similar to the audio impulse they apply to amps, and allow for the output of the guitar to run back into the kempers input where the profiled amps signal arrives. I understand the impedance issue, but that's an easy fix if you are going to offer an accessory anyhow. If they ended up going this direction ultimately, I'm sure they would integrate the neccessary hardware it into updated versions of the amp.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

i fpund an audio clip of a guy playing with a strat changing through profiles here:
Changing rigs 111002 by BT King on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

and this one changing cabs on the KPA:
Hit On One 111001 by BT King on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And here is a new video of a Soldano amp being profiled with an A/B comparison:
Kemper Profiling Amplifier - Profiling a Soldano Amp - YouTube

I am very interested to see what flaws or discrepancies people may notice on here
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Surely someone has an opinion, whether it be negative or positive. Either way it will lead to a fruitful discussion or a realization of this product's potential for myself and maybe others
Old 14th October 2011
My opinion is that modelers have come a long way, but still have a long way to go.

This is to my ears leaps and bounds beyond anything else I've heard, it's not 100% match perfect, there's some discrepancies in the bass and treble, but it's pretty close. However playing guitar through frfr monitors just gives you that detached sound somehow, they should add some form of feedback sim (like e.g. Acoustic Feedback by Softube) to help liven it up a little when it's not being cranked.

Anyhow, I'll keep on saving, maybe by the time I've got enough they'll have that built in also.
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Head

Talked to the guy, heard the amp live and I was stunned. this thing is crazy. he profiled a vox ac 30, mic´ed up with an sm57. he just had to take some bass off and added his signature playing style. it was very impressive.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFx View Post
Talked to the guy, heard the amp live and I was stunned. this thing is crazy.
Did you get to play through the Kemper yourself?

Did you by chance hear Benny demo it?

Saw some videos of him playing through it and he made it sound incredibly good.
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Head

Unfortunately not the men himself, he wasn´t present. Tom wendt played it, profiled it, tweaked it, adjusted it for his playing style(which was basically another specific profiling)before our very eyes! I didn´t play it cause - well - it sounded exactly the same as when he played through the ac30.

for the technical side he really couldn´t tell me much. he said it worked similar to impulse responses though.
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Has anyone got a release date on this puppy?
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not overly impressed with the high gain sample. I was really hoping the kemper could be the answer to my digital guitar recording
Old 31st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I'm not overly impressed with the high gain sample. I was really hoping the kemper could be the answer to my digital guitar recording
I'm excited to check this thing out and compare it to my AxefxII, but I agree, that high gain clip didn't sound that good. I don't know how much of it was the fault of the Kemper amp because for a high gain clip, he wasn't playing the kind of chunky rythm stuff most high gainers want to hear. I don't know why they don't have a metal guy sit down and do a video or two like the ones from Nashville.
For what it's worth, the Axe2 does high gain extremely well. Whether you go direct or turn off the power amp and cab sims and go through a tube power amp, it sounds great to my ears.
Old 31st October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
New vid showing heavier gain sound.

\

Great guitar tone like ANY great tone ALWAYS starts at the source!!! Put a Stradivarius in the hands of a mediocre violinists and it will not sing PERIOD!!!!! The way one strikes the strings-the pickups-the build quality of the instrument and most importantly the player will ALWAYS trump the gear.....why in the world doesn't Kempler find a quality guitarist to showcase their 'innovative' amplifier?

With ALL due respect to the gentleman in the video:

I'm scratching my head with regard to the quality of his musicianship?????
Wouldn't one want to find the best musician he can to showcase his amazing stratovarius? I find these vids/sound examples uninspiring to say the least?

I'm sorry if I sound like a snob but I thought the cream was supposed to rise to the top?????????? Sheeeeesh!

Unbelieavalbe

Last edited by Earthling; 31st October 2011 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: muse
Old 1st November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
\

Great guitar tone like ANY great tone ALWAYS starts at the source!!! Put a Stradivarius in the hands of a mediocre violinists and it will not sing PERIOD!!!!! The way one strikes the strings-the pickups-the build quality of the instrument and most importantly the player will ALWAYS trump the gear.....why in the world doesn't Kempler find a quality guitarist to showcase their 'innovative' amplifier?
Well, you just said the player will trump the gear, meaning that a good player will sound good no matter what the gear. So that should sorta answer your question. The point is to show off the gear not the guitarist. "You too will be able to get x sound" rather than pretending that "you too will sound like Steve Vai".

You should also check the dates used on these posts. That was a few months back, Kemper now have some very good guitarists showing off their stuff live.

The thing is, the point of the Kemper as I see it is about sounding like a real amp. You can't hear that with a ****ty ego driven guitarist lathering on 50 of their favorite ****e 80's effects, nor playing 50 notes per second. Fret******y is for tossers who want to polish a turd. So it's fortunate that a lot of the people who are beta testing this are just enthusiasts, maybe people who even build their own amps and are profiling them. You get people who will play in a way that showcases the sound of the amp rather than the sound of the guitarist. Thank god is all I can say. It shouldn't need to hind behind that if it's any good.

BTW if you want to hear a bunch of different clips by testers as they've been exploring the unit then check this thread : Kemper BT Soundclips Part II, Continually updated - The Gear Page
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I just got word from Kemper that the first small batch of the KP's start shipping next week. This will hopefully mean some reviews and more samples
Old 18th November 2011
Another demo track someone made when they had their paws on it briefly in their studio and posted on another forum.

Quote:
Today I had Lance come and visit the studio and he brought the Kemper Profiling amp with him. We decided to record a song using the unit exclusively to hear what this sounds like in an actual mix.

I used a Strat and a Les Paul to try and demo how well this works with single coils and humbuckers.

The track is a bluesy type song and I chose a JCM800 profile for the backing and the solo with the Strat but for the solo I added a Kemper Tube Screamer to give a bit more dirt.

The quiet part of the track I switched to the Les Paul on the same profile without the Tube Screamer and then for the harder section the profile was changed to the Mesa Boogie Roadking.

Guitars were a MIM Fender Strat and a Tokai Loverock LS98F.

I was blown away with this unit. It was really easy to get great tones and I found that you’re really spoilt for choice. The effects are top notch and you really don’t need much else for superb recordings.

I didn’t have the time to actually profile my own amp but I do have an in depth video demo planned for the near future.
Sounds pretty decent to my ears.
Old 19th November 2011
And looks like the quickstart guide is now available to peruse :

http://www.kemper-amps.com/_media/fi...2020111101.pdf
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search