The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 20th November 2012
Yes, you can. Press and hold the input button the front of the Kemper and then select spdif input once he option appears on screen. Next press and hold master button down and toggle thru the options for the output you'd like. With the latest firmware the reamping options are great. Especially done digitally.
Old 2nd December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
Hmmmm. It would be way cool if some of you guys would post some of your results with the KPA? I'd be very interested in having a listen to what others are doing with it? And I bet others would be too.

I'm going to stick my um, my um, um ... NECK! out and post a track I just finished (well I'm sick of it so I'm done). I use a Strat so it can be a bit biting? The bass too is going through it? Rather old school? Did it in my BEDROOM-very humble set up?

It's not Metal so don't hate on it toooo much.

I am open to criticism.

The guitar track has a lot of digital clipping. How did you record it?
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaphorst View Post
The guitar track has a lot of digital clipping. How did you record it?
Yeah. It's really quite embarrassing and perhaps I should take it down? I was just so eager to dive into the amp. And I am such a n00b. A friend came over about a month after I had made my first few recordings with it and right away noticed that I was TOTALLY redlining my output of my mixer. He turned the trim down and set my levels and suddenly my tone was WAY better. Dah?
Old 3rd December 2012
kemper high gain

I've just finished a HC/Grind full-lenght, all guitars recorded with the Kemper. I think it is a very good product, easy to work with it, not as the axe-fx, which I had to spent hours to create usable tones.

Jack - Felemelkedés / Ancension (Official video) - YouTube
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear
nice!
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

It sounds good Earthling great name.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

I just ordered one of these yesterday and I am pretty excited to give it a whirl. Anyone have a "Best of" list of profiles on the rig exchange? I am going to get Amp Factory's vintage pack. I mostly do indie rock, dream pop, psychedelic, new wave, and shoegaze type music so clean and vintage and the more organic the better.
Old 8th December 2012
Gear Head

sky

There are so many incredible Profiles on the Kemper, before you buy commercial Profiles go through what's already available.

Here is the Amp Factory rigpack that's been released by Kemper, it's free.
Check these out first, along with the stock Profiles on the Kemper you might never need another Profile.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55111784/Th...y_Rig_Pack.zip

To get you up and running quickly, save this file, it's a Cabinet file.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55111784/CA...BER%202012.zip

Format a USB stick in your Kemper.
You'll then see a "Shared" folder on your USB stick.
Create a "Cabinets" folder inside the "Shared" folder.
Unzip my Cabinets file and copy the files into the "Cabinets" folder.
Put the USB stick in your Kemper and Import.
When you've done that, press and hold the Cabinet button.
A new screen appears. you'll see "From Rigs", and "From Presets"...press "From Presets"...you'll now see the Cabinets you just imported.
Use the Browse knob to check out different cabinets.

If you press the "From Rigs" button in the Cabinet screen, you'll be able to try every Cabinet in your Kemper with any Profile.
If you like a Cabinet you can Store it.
Press 'Store', re name it, press 'Store' again...the Cabinet you just stored is now in your "From Presets" folder.

From the stock presets, my favourites.
The 'Bad Kittie'..these are Profiles of Tom Hemby's Bad Cat profiled in Nashville.
"The Chief"..a Matchless Chieftan also Profiled in Nashville.
"AC Top Boost"...AC30 Profiled by CK.
Peter Fischers Bogner XTC and Soldano SLO100...try the "Tills" cabs in my Cabinet file.
All the Peter Fischer Profiles are good.
Uwe Bossert's Profiles are also excellent...try different Cabs with them.

Remember.
If you like a Profile and want to check out other Profiles by the same 'Author'.
Using the first soft button above the screen select "Current Author".

Have fun.
You'll like the Kemper in the first two days, you'll love it after a few days.
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

i really wish they had a place to HEAR the profiles before buying or even downloading and adding free ones

you can end up with a TON of profiles on the kemper and not like alot of them.

still trying to figure out how to delete individual ones and keep what i like
Old 9th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
i really wish they had a place to HEAR the profiles before buying or even downloading and adding free ones

you can end up with a TON of profiles on the kemper and not like alot of them.

still trying to figure out how to delete individual ones and keep what i like
I can take the worst or the worst Profiles on the Kemper, pop into my buds studio and ask him to play and record them, and they'll sound outstanding.
That's why it's so easy to land up with a thousand Profiles, they're all potentially good to excellent.

To delete individual Profiles just press 'delete' when you're Browsing...you'll see the 'Delete' option on the screen.
Save what you like in your 'Favourites' folder...to save a Profile into your 'Favourites' just press the 'Rig' button.

Another tip.
When you import new Profiles, don't import a hundred at a time, just import a dozen or two.
The last Profiles you imported will appear in your "Last Imported" folder...as you audition them, delete what you dont like, that way you wont land up with 1600 or 2000 Profiles in your KPA.
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
sky

There are so many incredible Profiles on the Kemper, before you buy commercial Profiles go through what's already available.

Check these out first, along with the stock Profiles on the Kemper you might never need another Profile.

A new screen appears. you'll see "From Rigs", and "From Presets"...press "From Presets"...you'll now see the Cabinets you just imported.

If you press the "From Rigs" button in the Cabinet screen, you'll be able to try every Cabinet in your Kemper with any Profile.
Press 'Store', re name it, press 'Store' again...the Cabinet you just stored is now in your "From Presets" folder.

The 'Bad Kittie'..these are Profiles of Tom Hemby's Bad Cat profiled in Nashville.
Peter Fischers Bogner XTC and Soldano SLO100...try the "Tills" cabs in my Cabinet file.

Remember.
If you like a Profile and want to check out other Profiles by the same 'Author'.

Have fun.

Thanks for the advice tok. My Kemper is scheduled to arrive Tuesday, I haven't been this excited about a new piece of gear in a long time. It can't arrive quick enough and I have my usb stick ready to roll.
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
Thanks for the advice tok.
a BIG +1

That was totally cool of you, TOK!!

Thanks for detailing the steps for others.

BTW - that's my Matchless Chieftain and Blue Cactus mic that were used in the making of that profile. I love them, too - '96 Samson-era beauty with an amazing guitar mic
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Guru

Old 10th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
sky

Remember.

Have fun.
Yeah! +1 Verrrry cool of you to post this-appreciate the detailed directions on how to get it in the KPA.
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Looking to get one of these in January. I see Kemper are at NAMM 2013. I emailed them today as I don't want to buy one then the following month a new and improved one is released but they said they couldn't comment. Has any one round hear heard anything that they might release a rack mount version or if they plan on releasing a firmware up date etc. really don't wanna lay out the cash just yet incase. :-
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Looking to get one of these in January. I see Kemper are at NAMM 2013. I emailed them today as I don't want to buy one then the following month a new and improved one is released but they said they couldn't comment. Has any one round hear heard anything that they might release a rack mount version or if they plan on releasing a firmware up date etc. really don't wanna lay out the cash just yet incase. :-
One of the rumors is a rack unit.
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
One of the rumors is a rack unit.
What about the big space in the back of the current version which is apparently for a power amp to fit in. Do you think they will release this and a rack mount version with a power amp incorporated
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
What about the big space in the back of the current version which is apparently for a power amp to fit in. Do you think they will release this and a rack mount version with a power amp incorporated

Not sure on the power amp but a third party company has already made some for the Kemper called Camplifier.
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Maniac

I prefer the current format than compared to a rack unit. But then again, I can see the appeal. I just don't think I'd ever use it live.

I must admit, I'd be conflicted if they released a rackmount version.

I would very much like a GUI for my computer for managing profiles though. That would be super helpful!
Old 10th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post
I prefer the current format than compared to a rack unit. But then again, I can see the appeal. I just don't think I'd ever use it live.

I would very much like a GUI for my computer for managing profiles though. That would be super helpful!
I am thinking of using it live as well as in the studio. A rack unit would be handy but as there is a amp out that fits in the back can't see it being a problem and it would make it an all in one solution. Definetly going to hang on till after NAMM before I purchase one though
Old 10th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post

+1
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Maniac

My kemper arrived today just a question I can't find the answer to. On my vetta when connecting it to a mixing desk it it has 2 main outs left and right and if you want mono just use the left one. On the kemper it has main out left and right but it doesn't say if just connecting one is mono

I've read the manual and can't find any thing regarding this any one out there shed some light on this ?
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Use the monitor out and set it to mono in the system settings.
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

Just used my kemper live for the first time. It sounded great I used it with a Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller. The only think i havent figured out is how to assign the Wah to work with the Wah expression pedal on the behringer. I've only just touched the surface with editing sounds which I'm slowly getting used to lots of pages and buttons to press!!!! Couldn't really find much stuff in the manual about midi and setting it up. Any body out there wanna help me :-)
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
a third party company has already made some for the Kemper called Camplifier.
What is the company name? Cannot find...
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmytro_ua View Post
What is the company name? Cannot find...
KPA-solutions buddy
Old 9th March 2013
Old 10th March 2013
Damnit! I didn't even want to like these things!

(This one landed a couple of weeks ago. I needed to prove to myself it was no good... but it's a keeper .)
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

OK I don't understand something, maybe one of you Kemper owners can help.

So, are the profiles of amps done clean, then semi dirty, the full out, etc? Otherwise I don't know how if the Kemper can know how to change the sound of a profile when you back off, or increase, the volume on your guitar?

Thanks
Tom
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

KPA users,
Heres a question.

can you pan the amp signal in the main stereo pair?
I do see any mention of it in the manual.
Say I want to end up with my reverb and echo evenly panned L/R, but the amp at 9 oclock?

how do we do this?

Also, can we put any echo or echo stomp box as the first stage?
Some great sounds happen plugging into something like a memory man type of thing first then into the amp.

thanks in advance guys.

best,
Sean
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search