The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 19th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
So far the word on the street from some people I trust is that bx_rocktrack is on par with S-Gear/Amplitube. Good, but not ground breaking. I've not a/b'd the two but time is short and I doubt I'll get to it any time soon.
Ya not groundbreaking unfortunately. It seems all of these plugins have something that is not quite right. S-gear can't do hi gain, amplitube always has a fizzy frequency that I can't seem to remove, guitar rig has a great interface and effects but the sounds are plasticky and electro, pod farm is artificial, revalver has okay hi gain tones, but all of them sound similar, studio devil has a good Marshall sound and feel but that's all. Rockrack has good hi gain, but cleans are not great. I guess its time to just take the leap and grab a Kemper.
Old 19th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Hmmmm. It would be way cool if some of you guys would post some of your results with the KPA? I'd be very interested in having a listen to what others are doing with it? And I bet others would be too.

I'm going to stick my um, my um, um ... NECK! out and post a track I just finished (well I'm sick of it so I'm done). I use a Strat so it can be a bit biting? The bass too is going through it? Rather old school? Did it in my BEDROOM-very humble set up?

It's not Metal so don't hate on it toooo much.

I am open to criticism.

Old 19th June 2012
There are lots of examples in the music section on the Kemper forums : Kemper Amps Forum or over at The Gear Page you get a lot of stuff posted and of course you can search the KPA or Kemper Profiling Amplifier tags on soundcloud : Search Tracks on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free[fulltext]=kemper+profiling+amplifier

And to stick my own neck out with my tripe noodles there's a few towards the top on http://www.peranders.com/music/ and one not on there just playing with crushed feedback only http://www.peranders.com/general/noodle120408b.mp3
Old 20th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
Would you be kind enough to post a link to the piezo acoustic profile please?
I'll try to post something later this week. I might be able to record something today. Sorry I didn't see your post until now. I've been gigging a lot lately and I haven't been on here much.
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I'll try to post something later this week. I might be able to record something today. Sorry I didn't see your post until now. I've been gigging a lot lately and I haven't been on here much.
Awesome thanks!
Old 25th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmmm. It would be way cool if some of you guys would post some of your results with the KPA? I'd be very interested in having a listen to what others are doing with it? And I bet others would be too.

I'm going to stick my um, my um, um ... NECK! out and post a track I just finished (well I'm sick of it so I'm done). I use a Strat so it can be a bit biting? The bass too is going through it? Rather old school? Did it in my BEDROOM-very humble set up?

I am open to criticism.

I liked your song. It starts off like a sleeper then you break out some nice lead tracks. good stuff
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
There are lots of examples in the music section on the Kemper forums : Kemper Amps Forum or over at The Gear Page you get a lot of stuff posted and of course you can search the KPA or Kemper Profiling Amplifier tags on soundcloud : Search Tracks on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free[fulltext]=kemper+profiling+amplifier

And to stick my own neck out with my tripe noodles there's a few towards the top on peranders.com::v3.0 and one not on there just playing with crushed feedback only http://www.peranders.com/general/noodle120408b.mp3
Quote:
Some nice stuff! Cool....

Quote:
[url]

I am open to criticism.

Transient by chucksilva on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
I liked your song. It starts off like a sleeper then you break out some nice lead tracks. good stuff
Thanks!
Old 25th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
They can clone a frickin' goat.
We cannot *emulate* a goat, in virtual space, though. We're currently finding it hard to manage even complicated molecules as accurate simulations. It took of of the world's largest supercomputers – kraken – about 6 months to simulate a few seconds of the operation of 1 cubic millimeter of rat brain performed at atomic detail.

A clone or replica of a valve amp is easy, you just copy it part for part, and you get another amp, with valves, transformers, etc etc. Just like a cloned goat has all the relevant goat parts, and eats goat food, replicas can be expected to have similar behaviour, they're the same thing, equivalent.

Fact remains something either is, or it isn't. A simulation or rough mathematical model is not a real thing, and has inherently different properties. Simulations can get close, but they aren't equivalent.
Old 25th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopdante View Post
Fact remains something either is, or it isn't. A simulation or rough mathematical model is not a real thing, and has inherently different properties. Simulations can get close, but they aren't equivalent.
One could say that about ANY recorded audio, though. Once it hits a microphone and/or any recordable media, it's just a simulation of what happened in a particular place, at a particular time.
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopdante View Post
We cannot *emulate* a goat, in virtual space, though. We're currently finding it hard to manage even complicated molecules as accurate simulations. It took of of the world's largest supercomputers – kraken – about 6 months to simulate a few seconds of the operation of 1 cubic millimeter of rat brain performed at atomic detail.

A clone or replica of a valve amp is easy, you just copy it part for part, and you get another amp, with valves, transformers, etc etc. Just like a cloned goat has all the relevant goat parts, and eats goat food, replicas can be expected to have similar behaviour, they're the same thing, equivalent.

Fair enough.

However, the mammal brain and the average tube amp are completely incomparable in their complexity, design and functionality. Not to mention, that for the purpose of comparison, just being able to emulate the vocalization of the goat would probably be sufficient for all those goat-heads out there looking to trade in their straggly and stinky warm-blooded gear for a cleverly designed VST model...
Old 17th July 2012
Gear Addict

Chuck, this is beautiful, great track. Well done

Quote:

I am open to criticism.

Old 17th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levon View Post
Chuck, this is beautiful, great track. Well done

Thanks for the reply Levon-very cool of you.

Let me just say I'm quit embarrassed about what I'm about to say.

I got the Kemper way a head of others (I was the fist in Michigan to get one?) through a friend of mine that's German-he's the thread starter and has excellent music to share-http://vimeo.com/scheffler/videos.

Well. In my excitement of the unit I was in a hurry to show what it can do?-posting my tracks here and there....well I had some harsh comments on my youtube channel-'how did you make the Kempar sound so bad??? etc etc'. which bummed me out. Well i am a TOTAL NOOB. I had a friend over the other day (he engineers' for M&M here in Detroit) to check out a problem I was having with Ableton etc etc. He is a VERY good guitarist-does hits with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and tours with Broadway plays and stuff-you know-studio musician-anyway.... he said what the hell are you doing? You are totally red lining your mixing board-I had the trim controls on full??? When I would record guitar the meter was totally red? i Ididn't know this was a problem and would just keep turning things down till sounded ok.

Performance is ALWAYS the most important part of the recoding chain anyway-right? **** in **** out? Can not make a bad performance sound good?

AAaaaannnnnyyyywwwwaaaayyyyyy

It sounds WAY WAY WAY better now. GOD what a dumn ass I am???.....anyway I'm happy to have it fixed.

Thanks again for the compliment!!!!
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Head

Listen to David Torn's first clips he made during the first few days he got his Kemper, all done with stock factory Profiles.

You listen to this and you realise the Kempers brain is highly advanced.
The internet myth about the Kemper taking a "Snapshot" of an amp and not being tweakable is just a myth because a few of these clips were done with a Deluxe Reverb factory Profile.

jayapala's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear
would love to hear more tracks with the Kemper. Anyone else recorded some tracks with the Kemper. not on its own. In an actual mastered production.
Old 21st July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
would love to hear more tracks with the Kemper. Anyone else recorded some tracks with the Kemper. not on its own. In an actual mastered production.
Here are two.
I wouldn't call these "Mastered productions".
The Tele clip was recorded in a basic home studio, the Foxglove clip was in a studio but no mastering or anything, it took an hour from start to finish...no post EQ or anything fancy.

Robin Gallagher - The Kemper Profiling Amp & "Tele-pathy" by Kemper59 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Kemper Profiling Amp Foxglove Studio session. by Kemper59 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
If you want to know how good the KPA really is then just take a look at the President of Fractal's latest ramblings and trolling.

In sport we call it "choking".

Got a link?
Old 30th July 2012
Gear Maniac

This convinced me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1zI6pEu0A
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Unreal. I for one am glad I ditched my AxeFX when I did, not only because the Kemper is a far superior product, but because people who behave like that don't deserve my hard earned money.
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Guru

There was even worse things said on the Fractal forums.
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Axe Fx = scientology to the guitar tone world
Old 10th August 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

Still having a blast with my KPA. We just did a video on it for GC Pro, check it out.

GC Pro's The Top Shelf Presents The Kemper Profiling Amplifier EP2 - YouTube
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

Still love mine to!
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

just ordered one

is there a zip for download that has 90% of all the profiles?
Old 5th November 2012
GMR
Lives for gear

Just bought this thing , a week ago, gotta say i am impressed. Profiled my 72' marshall and my 68' super reverb, and it's amazing to play it thru the kemper at low vow volume , but it's still my amps. It reacts the same way, it's a weird feeling knowing the amp is off!!! I bought it with the option of returning it if i din't like it and it still here!!! Damn Kemper !!!

Not to mention i got some decent profiles of two rock amps , soldanos and the list goes on. It's a guitar players dream and nightmare , there are too many amps to go through and i don't stop playing guitar since i got it !!!
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have a Kemper for sale in the classifieds if anyone's interested.

Wish I could afford to keep this thing!
Old 13th November 2012
Gear Nut

GMR, that's the thing about getting a Kemper. So many great profiles out there, you can't stop playing when you turn it on. There's music to be gotten with almost all, unless they're terribly recorded. They can all be tweaked in ways you can't with real amps, you own profiles included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
Just bought this thing , a week ago, gotta say i am impressed. Profiled my 72' marshall and my 68' super reverb, and it's amazing to play it thru the kemper at low vow volume , but it's still my amps. It reacts the same way, it's a weird feeling knowing the amp is off!!! I bought it with the option of returning it if i din't like it and it still here!!! Damn Kemper !!!

Not to mention i got some decent profiles of two rock amps , soldanos and the list goes on. It's a guitar players dream and nightmare , there are too many amps to go through and i don't stop playing guitar since i got it !!!
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Maniac

I sat on a train for 2 hours to go take a look at the Kemper. I was so impressed at I couldn't hand him my card fast enough. I paid full retail but I gave myself away too early leaving myself no room to barter. There was no way in hell I was leaving without it. Lugging it home for a 2 hour train ride and waiting at the station with the stewards thinking I'm carrying a bomb was a bit strange. One of them showed me some badge and asked me to open the package.. What fun there is to be had on British trains.

I bought the amp factory plugins that they had on offer for £40 (at half price?). The amps in that bundle are amazing too.

So far, I'm really impressed. After only a few hours, I'm pretty familiar with the layout and it's easy to use. Though I can see the use of something like a FCB1010 or whatever else.

I haven't recorded anything yet, just playing through some headphones and monitors. If re-amping is as easy as I think it might be, it's a true game changer for me

Puts my 6505 and sm57 to shame
Old 16th November 2012
GMR
Lives for gear

How do you get the amp factory bundles at half price ?
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
How do you get the amp factory bundles at half price ?
It's an offer at Andertons in the UK. If you buy a Kemper from them, you can get the amp pack at half price (only if part of the same transaction). I also got the KPA Case at half price as part of the same promo. I guess that makes up for paying full retail (not cheapest in UK either). Pretty happy with it all.

The case is really well made, really study and strong, I was really surprised by the quality of it. It's a little bigger inside than the KPA, but I could put a towel in there or something.

As a new KPA owner, I got a few questions for y'all

I've got the Amp Factory profiles, are there any other good packs out there to look at? I think the bundle I got came with all the amps that they profiled.

How would you go about re-amping with one of these? I only have 2 analog outs on my current interface (untill I get a new computer with a FW port to connect my FF800 to it). The 2 outs I have are taken up by my monitors, but I have a digital Coax IO, can I do it through that?

What's the best way to set about updating the firmware and new profiles?

I guess I should read the manual, but it's really looooong lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search