The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

Not true... Guitar amps are more complicated to clone than a goat.
Old 11th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
I saw this in person yesterday at the NAMM show. Let me just tell you, it's really incredible.

I watched as they had a real Mesa Boogie amp/cab and set the Profiling Amp to model it in real-time (takes a couple of minutes, and sort of automatically does what you would do by hand to create proper samples for a convolution reverb).

When it was done sampling, the guitar player started playing and they switched in real-time between the Profiling Amp and the real amp/cab. You were hard pressed to hear a difference, though of course it wasn't identical. I would have to say that it was 95% of everything the amp/cab was and the differences were subtle at best. You certainly would never know that this was not the real deal.

It samples not just the amp and cab, but also the mic, the air in between, etc. Very cool stuff.
I would love a Kemper, and I'm sure I'll buy one, but wouldn't it be better to have one sound that's 100% what you want rather than a ton that are 95% I don't even own any expensive high-gain amps but I'm looking into getting an Invader, and if I can get 3 or 4 mindblowing sounds out of that I should be all set. The rest is just for fun, or for studios that can't buy and store every great amp.

And to Guitarrzan, you said

"FYI, I own an Egnater M4, Engl E570 AND and Axefx Ultra. All 3 are amazing."

just interested to know which you use the most, and why.
Old 23rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredX View Post
I would love a Kemper, and I'm sure I'll buy one, but wouldn't it be better to have one sound that's 100% what you want rather than a ton that are 95% I don't even own any expensive high-gain amps but I'm looking into getting an Invader, and if I can get 3 or 4 mindblowing sounds out of that I should be all set. The rest is just for fun, or for studios that can't buy and store every great amp.

And to Guitarrzan, you said

"FYI, I own an Egnater M4, Engl E570 AND and Axefx Ultra. All 3 are amazing."

just interested to know which you use the most, and why.

Not everyone has access to multiple high end Amps. If i had to choose between one high end amp, or hundreds of 95% accurate profiles at a touch of a button, im going to go with the practical choice. To some, Practicality and convenience is outweighed by the sluttiness, bankroll and have space for an impressive amp collection that takes up a room or more. To even further on that, watch the video because you'll see it can be used capture your favourite Record's tone, mic placement, air, room, cabinet, and is one button away from being recallable. not saying its better than having the real deal, but it has the potential to be the future to what we currently use line6 and axe fx products for.
Old 23rd May 2011
Lives for gear

cutting back on set up timeand no more second guessing on those projects where you know the sound youre after and time isnt abundant. time is money
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Any more peeps out there had a chance to have a hands on experience with the kemper profiling amp?
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear Nut

Really Happy I stumbled upon this thread. This thing looks amazing, and the demos are pretty freakin' fantastic. If this thing is around 1500, I will be saving up for it for sure. If it's 1000 I'll stab someone to get it asap. If it's 2000 or more... I'd probably just buy a new mac instead, haha!

but seriously, I'm keepin an eye on this thread, anyone know release date or any other info?
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

It is supposed to be released in early June, I'm dying to have a hands on!
Old 5th June 2011
Lives for gear

I'm waiting on some more user info for this unit my self, looks really cool.
Old 4th July 2011
Here for the gear
id like to be able to sample a specific distortion behaviour in a plug in
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
id like to be able to sample a specific distortion behaviour in a plug in
izotope trash?
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

Not to ruin anyone's parade, but a lot of this has already been done via Fractal Audio AXE FX ULTRA. A former skeptic since I've been an amplifier aficionado for years, I'm also willing to admit I was wrong about emulations - Fractal's are fabulous.

Ahead is the list of many of emulations that AXE-FX offers (the original version, not the newer II model). The cool thing is there are not only mono but also stereo versions of these patches as well. But its not about the list that makes the AXE FX a good investment but the tone can figuratively melt faces (and no, I do not work for them):

Roland® JC-120®
Fender® Vibroverb®
Fender® Bassman®
Fender® Deluxe Reverb®
Fender® Twin Reverb®
Vox® AC30®
Vox® AC30TBX®
Marshall® Super Lead Model 1959®
Marshall® JCM 800®
Marshall® JCM 900®
Matchless Chieftan®
Matchless Chieftan Boosted®
Hiwatt DR103 (Normal)®
Hiwatt DR103 (Brilliant)®
Mesa Boogie™ MKIV® (Rhythm 1)
Mesa™ Boogie MKIV® (Rhythm 2)
Mesa Boogie™ MKIV® (Rhythm 2 Fat)
Mesa Boogie™ MKIV® (Lead)
Mesa Boogie™ MKIV®
Mesa Boogie™ 2 Channel Dual Rectifier (Orange Channel)®
Mesa Boogie™ 2 Channel Dual Rectifier (Red Channel)®
Soldano™ Super Lead Overdrive®
Dumble Overdrive Special® (Clean)
Dumble Overdrive Special® (Lead)
Bogner® Ecstasy Blue Channel®
Bogner® Ecstasy Red Channel®
Laney® GC30V®
Budda® Twinmaster®
FAS Metal® (Associated with Djent Groove Metal Styles)
Fender® Blues Jr.®
Marshall® JMP-1 Preamp®
ENGL Powerball®
Dumble Overdrive Special®
Trainwreck™ Express
Marshall® JTM45®
Diezel VH4 ®
Marshal Super Lead (Alt)®
Ampeg SVT®
Custom Audio Electronics 3+ SE®
Custom Audio Electronics 3+ SE®
Egnater® Rebel®
Mesa Boogie® Mark II Lead (Normal)
Mesa Boogie® Mark II (Bright)
Fryette D60® ("Less")
Fryette D60® ("More")
Dr. Z Maz 38 SR®
Bogner® Überschall
Peavey® 5150®
Soldano® X99® Preamp (Clean)
Soldano® X99® Preamp (Rhythm)
Soldano® X99® Preamp (Lead)
Cornford RK100®
CarolAnn OD2r®
Orange® Rockerverb®
Bogner® Shiva Clean
Bogner® Shiva Lead
Marshall® 1987X Plexi®
Marsha Brown Eye
Marsha Hairy Brown Eye
Old 5th July 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for that, but after ten years of hearing the word "modeling" in the audio industry I personally would rather not hear that word again unless it has to do with girls in front of a camera.
Old 5th July 2011
So, June came and went...
Old 6th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
So, June came and went...
Yeah that's what I was going to mention as well. Also, fractal may have hundreds of amp models, bit even when o hear it it sounds fake. I've tried all the plugins, all the pods, and so far the kemper is the only thing that I've heard that sounds remotely close to a real amp. But we will see once it's out, which brings me back to the above quote.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by saovi View Post
Not to ruin anyone's parade, but a lot of this has already been done via Fractal Audio AXE FX ULTRA. A former skeptic since I've been an amplifier aficionado for years, I'm also willing to admit I was wrong about emulations - Fractal's are fabulous.
You're not ruining Anyones parade. To my ears, from the demonstrations of the kemper sound much more natural to a tube amp than Axe fx. The axe is a powerful tool. I personally don't want all my records to be confined to sounding like an axe fx, and hence why some continue searching for a more realistic designed amp tone.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

In regards to the kemper, I will reserve my final opinion once I have played through one myself.
Old 6th July 2011
Lives for gear

I got an email from kemper a few days ago, they told me they are in the process of a major profiling session to load the unit with profiles when it ships.

He also told me that it's looking like the unit will be available in august
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

NAMM 2011 has arrived here in Nashvegas. I had a chance to profile and play the Kemper today at a private screening. Some of my personal amps were used for profiling - the results were astounding!

At the session were BadCat ToneCat, Fender Bassman(s), 65amps London, Orange Rockerverb 50, Soldano and a whole lot more.

Again, it was a real "wow" experience - and no I wasn't paid or remunerated in any way
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

the cool thing is that with the Kemper you can easily profile all the sounds in an Axe FX if you really wanted to!
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
the cool thing is that with the Kemper you can easily profile all the sounds in an Axe FX if you really wanted to!
The problem with that idea is that with all the choices of tone stacks and deep amp editing, there are millions of combinations so you'd spend the next few years working on that project. Then, you still wouldn't have the effects, control or routing possibilities that you have with the Axefx.
I think this Kemper thing is a very cool idea, but at the end of the day, I don't want to spend my spare time setting up amps, cabs and mics to model so I can have some cool tones in my guitar amp. I just want to buy one that already has them and tweak to taste. I can see how the Kemper might be very popular at studios because the engineer can model every amp that comes through the door and have quite a collection on tap. Now something like the AxefxII that could do what the Kemper does, in terms of capturing new models, would be perfection imo.
FWIW, I've owned an Axefx Ultra for a couple years along with an Egnater M4 and an Engl E570. Since I got the AxefxII, I've sold both my tube preamps. IMO, they offer nothing I can't get with the AxefxII. I am keeping my tube power amps until I do some comparisons to see how well the Axe2 stacks up against a real power amp, cab, mics etc.
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

It is supposed to come loaded with a lot of amp and cab profiles stock, plus uploading other peoples into your unit is supposed to be another expected to be popular and common task.

I personally can't wait to hear more of this thing.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
The problem with that idea is that with all the choices of tone stacks and deep amp editing, there are millions of combinations so you'd spend the next few years working on that project. Then, you still wouldn't have the effects, control or routing possibilities that you have with the Axefx.
I think this Kemper thing is a very cool idea, but at the end of the day, I don't want to spend my spare time setting up amps, cabs and mics to model so I can have some cool tones in my guitar amp. I just want to buy one that already has them and tweak to taste. I can see how the Kemper might be very popular at studios because the engineer can model every amp that comes through the door and have quite a collection on tap. Now something like the AxefxII that could do what the Kemper does, in terms of capturing new models, would be perfection imo.
FWIW, I've owned an Axefx Ultra for a couple years along with an Egnater M4 and an Engl E570. Since I got the AxefxII, I've sold both my tube preamps. IMO, they offer nothing I can't get with the AxefxII. I am keeping my tube power amps until I do some comparisons to see how well the Axe2 stacks up against a real power amp, cab, mics etc.
Well it's your lucky day! It comes with a ****eload of amps and presets. As for perfection, I'll have to hear it with my own ears first
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

What's the latest ETA on this thing anyhoo? Anyone have any good gossip. I have an AxefxII so it'd make for an interesting comparison.
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
I got an email from kemper a few days ago, they told me they are in the process of a major profiling session to load the unit with profiles when it ships.

He also told me that it's looking like the unit will be available in august
gossip above
Old 23rd July 2011
Kempre Profiling Amp is amazing! Can't hardly wait to get it. I wonder about it's price...
Old 24th July 2011
Lives for gear

a new video showing off the new "refine" mode

http://www.youtube.com/embed/itUpROb96wQ
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

There you go - the video is spot on! It's exactly how the Kemper performed for us, as well.

Michael Elsner did a great job showcasing her
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
a new video showing off the new "refine" mode

YouTube - Kemper Profiling Amp - Michael Elsner and Jon MacLennan
I hear no sound, only see the picture. Anyone else experiencing that as well?

Got it now.

Really wish these guys would finally get around to doing a video that's recorded well and also features a world class guitar player. So far, the actual recordings I've come across are totally low fi and the players just aren't as amazing as this piece supposedly is.

If I'm missing a video like I'm describing please provide a link. Love it to be everything that they say it is but still hard to gauge without playing one in person and without hearing as best as possible what this is capable of. Not going to be released for a bit so I'm hoping they step up to the plate with some great recordings featuring outstanding players. There are no shortage of great players that would demo this.
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

Tom Hemby & Bryan Clark were demoing the Kemper when I was there - both incredible players.

Everybody seemed very happy!
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange View Post
Tom Hemby & Bryan Clark were demoing the Kemper when I was there - both incredible players.

Everybody seemed very happy!
Hopefully someone took some video that will show up online soon. The device sure looks interesting indeed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search