The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 14th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Sure do tok, he only has the three right? I am dying to get my hands on some more profiles of the same caliber
The Fortin or DAR amp profiles would be awesome.
Old 14th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can someone please profile Ola's metal preset for axe fx II and link me?
Also I'm in some desperate need to find some more crushing tones on this kemper. Ive got a handful that work insanely well, but I want more!!! Any recommendations?

I didn't really jive with Olas profiles, they just didn't work as well as others for my guitars. Must be me

Sent u a pm
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Nut

Are people going straight into their audio interfaces with the Kemper?

I'm going directly into my Lynx into Pro Tools and the levels are super super low.
I always have to crank the Volume knob or the gain in Pro Tools and it doesn't seem right.

I searched around on the forums and manual and haven't found an answer.

I must be doing something stupid. Help!
Old 15th March 2012
What output are you going from? S/PDIF? Master XLR/Jack? Monitor? Direct?

If the master volume (and master settings) aren't helping then do a system reset. Just turn on the KPA with the system button held down until it says it's doing a system reboot. Then your outputs should be correct. Also make sure to update to the latest firmware.
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuchoco View Post
Are people going straight into their audio interfaces with the Kemper?

I'm going directly into my Lynx into Pro Tools and the levels are super super low.
I always have to crank the Volume knob or the gain in Pro Tools and it doesn't seem right.

I searched around on the forums and manual and haven't found an answer.

I must be doing something stupid. Help!

Have plenty of level here. The clean patches sometimes are low, depending on what guitar, you can adjust the input clean and distortion sense,, by holding down the input button, turn up the clean sense but make sure you are not clipping the input. the master volume knob is under the master. some of the patches are kinda low, and there are several ways to turn them up, either in the cab area, or the volume area.....
Old 15th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
What output are you going from? S/PDIF? Master XLR/Jack? Monitor? Direct?

If the master volume (and master settings) aren't helping then do a system reset. Just turn on the KPA with the system button held down until it says it's doing a system reboot. Then your outputs should be correct. Also make sure to update to the latest firmware.
The reset did it! Thanks!!

That's weird, it came from the factory like this and remained even after system updates.

Thanks again mdme sadie!!!
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Hey guyzzz
I have made two hardcore/ metal presets for the Kemper that are now available on the Profile exchange.
Heres a clip of the tones
Kemper Hardcore Metal Profile Demonstration - Downloads Included - YouTube
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guyzzz
I have made two hardcore/ metal presets for the Kemper that are now available on the Profile exchange.
Heres a clip of the tones
Kemper Hardcore Metal Profile Demonstration - Downloads Included - YouTube
Really digging the second one in the video (Profile 01) and the combined end result, very cool stuff - thanks for sharing, Beau! The Kemper's on top of my 'definitely getting my hands on this year' list, and this only affirmed that.

Sven
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Glad you dig Sven!
In those examples i probably could have backed the gain off slightly, but i wanted to show what those profiles are capable of as i feel there is a lack of metal examples available for listening, but there are plenty of good profiles available now that energie was nice enough to show me.
I also didnt check the phase too accurately when lining up those two profiles, but i got it as close as i could by ear within my time frame i had to get the video going. Those downloads will be on the profile exchange so when you eventually pick one unit up youll be able to grab them, unless you have already from the other link i provided under the description
Old 18th March 2012
Here for the gear

Is it technically possible for kemper to 'upgrade' the sample rate of the spdif through a firmware update?
Old 18th March 2012
Only Kemper would know the answer to that. I would imagine its possible.
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

I would hope they do 48k, that is where I am most of the time, but still the A/D is pretty good.
Old 19th March 2012
Here for the gear

One question - is the kemper interface/sound card itself? (since it has USB) - if it is, any specifications?
Old 19th March 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc131 View Post
One question - is the kemper interface/sound card itself? (since it has USB) - if it is, any specifications?
No an no plan for this (from Christoph Kemper) : USB Audio, please! - Feature requests - Kemper Amps Forum . It's not the original post from CK but you can find CK post by searching on the Kemper forum.
Old 19th March 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
No an no plan for this (from Christoph Kemper) : USB Audio, please! - Feature requests - Kemper Amps Forum . It's not the original post from CK but you can find CK post by searching on the Kemper forum.
So how it correponds with for example syncing delay in Kemper with BPM in DAW. For example I have 120BPM track, press record and I want to have delay synced?
Old 20th March 2012
It has MIDI and S/PDIF, so that's not such an issue.
Old 20th March 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
It has MIDI and S/PDIF, so that's not such an issue.
My interface (Saffire 6 USB) has no S-PDIF but has MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, so syncing delay of phaser to actual BMP in DAW will work?

Thanks.
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc131 View Post
My interface (Saffire 6 USB) has no S-PDIF but has MIDI IN and MIDI OUT, so syncing delay of phaser to actual BMP in DAW will work?

Thanks.
Someone who owns it should confirm, but it's possible according to the KPA manual (bold type added by me):

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPA Manual
There are three ways to activate the tempo:
• Tap the desired tempo on the TAP button.
• Select the specific beats per minute (BPM) using the “Tempo” parameter within the rig menu.
Send MIDI Clock from another device.
The only other MIDI implementation, as far as I can tell, is for sending program changes/switching rigs.
Old 20th March 2012
Here for the gear

got a new clip i used the kemper on bass and guitars!
more for the metal heads here. its a mix in progress (actually not really a mix at all,
just recorded this band today!)
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Some of you in here know me as "MR AXE FX" himself practically. I JUST found out about the existence of this Kemper thing 15 minutes ago and my heart is racing like crazy. The Youtube demos sound solid!!! This might work for me as well, I'm usually not an effects player at all, just an amp/cab/verb/delay guy, so the Kemper may just work.

I don't like the idea of spending time chasing nice amps around in studios and such. I assume you can save your "profile" presets and trade them around on the internet by the thousands? Is this a blessed moment in my rocklife!?!

PS-can anyone get their hands on Pagey's actual Supro or HiWatts? You could sell those preset profiles for $1000 a patch. Jimmy's fingers, $10,000,000.00 each.
Old 22nd March 2012
Profile rigs are tiny, about 4k in size. There's a profile exchange on the Kemper website, but it's a little primitive still (only 5 results per page, no ratings etc), but there are a lot of profiles out there already.

The spirit of the thing is free and about community, so the profiles cost nothing and are freely shared.
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Some of you in here know me as "MR AXE FX" himself practically. I JUST found out about the existence of this Kemper thing 15 minutes ago and my heart is racing like crazy. The Youtube demos sound solid!!! This might work for me as well, I'm usually not an effects player at all, just an amp/cab/verb/delay guy, so the Kemper may just work.

I don't like the idea of spending time chasing nice amps around in studios and such. I assume you can save your "profile" presets and trade them around on the internet by the thousands? Is this a blessed moment in my rocklife!?!

PS-can anyone get their hands on Pagey's actual Supro or HiWatts? You could sell those preset profiles for $1000 a patch. Jimmy's fingers, $10,000,000.00 each.
Where the hell have you been? heh
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear
Some questions:

Question 1:
I write and work at my computer and love good recall ability and seamless integration into a system. Can I go digital in into this? For instance if I record DI into my comp and then digital out to kemper and and digital back into the computer. Then I can cycle through presets and get the sound I want on the track after I have recorded the guitar tone without multiple analog to digital converserion and back. EDIT: just noticed it only has spdif. Seems a bit weird no? Kinda would have expected it to have balanced digital I/O.

Question 2:
Is there a VST plugin to control this? Help recall presets on different sessions, automation etc.

Question 3:
How does this fair with all different types of external effects. I presume it won't do well with things like overdrive pedals as its not really overdriving any tubes.

Question 4:
Any indie musicians using this? I read reviews of this and the AxeFX then realize that 90% of the people using it play metal. I hate metal. I would be using it for tones like yeah yeah yeahs, Broken social scene, beck, Jack White, the national etc.

Question 5:
How are the stomp boxes that are built in? Are they able to replace outboard stomp boxes perfectly?
Old 23rd March 2012
1. SPDIF is fine for that and allows you to do what you describe when linked to any half decent audio interface and DAW.

2. Nope. The Kemper is still very much a public beta, there's no software for it yet even though it has USB, Ethernet and MIDI. At some point its likely there will be a standalone librarian/editor for it, it just doesnt exist yet. In any case even when it is complete I doubt there will be a VST for controlling it as you would automate it from your DAW using midi instead (which you can do now).

3. It fares just fine with pedals in my experience so far, like a real amp really.

4. There are lots of indie musicians using the KPA, I don't play metal, it sounds equally good doing cleans, low gain, crunch, heavy or hyper distorted amps. Funnily enough most people out there (including in this thread) have complained about a lack of metal examples for the KPA rather than too many. If you can find an amp with the sound you want to use, then the Kemper can sound how you want basically.

5. They're fine, good quality, but limited in range and deep editing options. I'd say that you will still want to use your boutique pedals, it does the main culprits, but the number you can have active is small and routing is linear. Buy the Kemper as an amp sim first and foremost, and treat the FX side as a nice addition, rather than a main course.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear
Thanks for the reply!

kemper looks great and I will be trying one out. Not sure if its something Ill pick up. Amplitube is working fine for me right now. Not perfect but does the trick for a hell of a lot cheaper. maybe Ill pick up the kemper 2 or kemper vst when they come out in a year.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
Thanks for the reply!

kemper looks great and I will be trying one out. Not sure if its something Ill pick up. Amplitube is working fine for me right now. Not perfect but does the trick for a hell of a lot cheaper. maybe Ill pick up the kemper 2 or kemper vst when they come out in a year.
I wouldn't count on a VST version seeing as how the Virus will not be one either.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

If your lucky IK Multimedia will buy a Kemper and re-profile all their amps in Amplitube with it.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I wouldn't count on a VST version seeing as how the Virus will not be one either.
I wonder if Chris Kemper is still involved with the Virus or did he sell the company?
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Better not try it then. Once you do then you will realize how lacking Amplitube is. heh
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I wonder if Chris Kemper is still involved with the Virus or did he sell the company?
It is still his.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search