The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier Electric Guitar Amplification
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Yeah that's really got a fatness and warmth that you usually only hear with a real amp...wait...it IS a real amp...well, I mean it's.....

too cool though...

TH
yeah man, I mean to me you can hear a little of the room, its not sonically dead as direct. no reverb, this is dry as it gets yet there is some life still in it. the kemper is the most impressive direct box I have ever heard or used. while not perfect for everyone, I think sonically its tough to beat in what it can do, and right now limitless as more and more users are profiling their amps and sharing. its such a great idea. no waiting for months or a year for a manufacturer to update and come out with a few new amp choices in your rig ya know. literally hundreds of amps have been posted.
Old 2nd March 2012
It's grown on me, at first I wasn't so impressed, but now I realize that it's basically taken away my guitar amp and sim GAS as well as any sort of inferiority thing I might have had with digital sims.

The only thing I miss is handling of farfield micing diffusion and room ambience.

Apart from that I really no longer worry about being able to get any guitar tone I hear, whether it's sim or real, I just know that I can get it or at least the characteristics of the tone that I care about and I can sit back and relax and get on with making the music. That's something I never thought I'd be able to with an amp sim. I mean for instance I always thought that there was no way a sim would be able to get even close to those Hendrix tones and feedback and just general amazing musical mess, and yet I'm confident this could with the right profile, guitar (and fingers of course) .

More or less it's good enough that my perfectionism is no longer focused on the amp sim and it's failings and how it doesn't measure up to real amps, but instead on the ambiance and room noise and the failings there, which are really the production, and of course my own failings instead come into play. It's just like another really good tube amp in fact, just that this one is unbelievably versatile.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

An average Joe's working experience with the Kemper

I've been lurking around the boards reading up on this thing...I've had it for a few days and posted my thoughts on some other boards. Had a chance to use it for a few days...Here's my what I found...

What I am not:
I can’t/won’t solo your face off. I don’t really play Eric Johnson, Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray, Keith Urban, gtr hero of the day..etc. I will never be a guitar hero. I’m not flashy, but I am solid.

What I am:
A full time musician who owns a production company and I record almost everyday. I play 80-90% rhythm guitar and hooks. I’m mostly just play parts to help build a song, groove, and support a vocal. Usually, it is pop or indie flavored music for TV/Film and/or independent artists. I have (or had) Divided by 13’s (jrt and Rsa23) Voxes, Fenders, a VHT Deliverance, a few boogies, most recently the Trans Atlantic 15, and a 70’s Traynor that is a smoking amp.

Today was my first day with the Kemper. I record guitars during the day at my home while my co-workers are doing other things (drums/vocals/programming) at the studio. Normally I crank my amps while my wife is away. Working at home has caused a few problems though. The problems being I miss out on too many client meetings and decisions that are made “the office”, and more importantly, my wife an I are planning on using what is now my studio room as a baby room.. ? So, I’ve been searching for an alternative to get back to the studio daily to be more a part of my business and not drive everyone away with a cranking amp. The studio isn’t too soundproof and the guitar amp area resides right next to the vocal booth.

Anyways…after reading the hype, I have a friend that has a kemper and he let me use it for today (and he will have a hard time getting it back!!). I have an Eleven Rack (without the EXRP) and have played several of the Line 6 units. (I have not played the AXE FX).

So..The first preset I that came up when I turned it on had some delay on it. I killed the delay cause that isn’t what I wanted to hear. I was immediately greeted by a great AC30 sound: Warm, chimey and dynamic. There was no trace of plonkiness or plinkiness that is associated with all non-amp units that I have ever tried. There was no latency, it felt like alive, like I was actually playing an amp. No harshness, no fizzies, and when I dug in, it compressed/saturated like my guitar does when I play my amp, when I played lighter, it gave me sparkle and chime. My jaw just sort of dropped and I thought, I can use this. This was very intriguing.

I spent the next hour and a half have a blast dialing thru presets. Many were good, several were great and a quite a few fantastic, ones that I would use (and did for the next few hours). Each one was fat and big in a track. No hassle moving microphones or switching heads, the profilers already did that. Even the sounds that didn’t speak to ME, were definitely usable in the right setting. Every guitar maintained its own voice thru the unit. The effects are great, but I found myself turning them off because the sounds don’t need them (unlike some of the products I’ve used that need the effects to cover up a basic tone).

Within that hour and a half, I learned everything that I needed to be up and tracking using and editing the profiles that were already loaded. I must say, I was pretty speechless at how easy it was to come up with great it sounds and how intuitive it is to use. At one point I had a great saturated sound for a melody hook that I wanted to poke thru a huge layer of guitars. I went in and adjusted the pick sensitivity and it edged out perfect in the track.

I usually am pretty burned out by the end of the day and my ears are tired, but am excited to get back at it tomorrow. I will hopefully be able to dig into the actual profiling process and profile my own amps in the next couple of weeks.

Day two: I walked into a session with a friend whom I know first used this unit several months ago to go track in Korea for a week. He didn’t know what he would run into as far as amps over there, so they profiled his heads and he took this unit over. I hadn’t really talked to him too much since. He greeted me at the door showing me his Kemper. I unloaded “mine” from the car and I proceeded to ask him to talk me down off the ledge of getting this. I expected a “it sounds great..but” as I am still in the honeymoon phase and he has had it for months. There was none. He loves it and couldn’t find a bad thing to say about it. His jaw still drops. He has a great collection of amps and said that the presets are great, but once he got his amps in there (he said he re-profiled them a few weeks ago), that he can't believe it and he can't tell the difference. I asked him about running his pedalboard in front of it, as I haven't done that yet, and he said again, it's like it IS his amp.

So…at this point (in the honeymoon)…I’m thinking this is could be game changer for me. A ton of great amps that sound and feel realistic at your fingertips. No worries about switching heads/cabs/miking, a fairly wide selection of effects that you don't need to cover up a crappy sound, and it gets you a great and usable sounds in seconds with no tweaking.

t.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe124 View Post
So..The first preset I that came up when I turned it on had some delay on it. I killed the delay cause that isn’t what I wanted to hear. I was immediately greeted by a great AC30 sound: Warm, chimey and dynamic. There was no trace of plonkiness or plinkiness that is associated with all non-amp units that I have ever tried. There was no latency, it felt like alive, like I was actually playing an amp. No harshness, no fizzies, and when I dug in, it compressed/saturated like my guitar does when I play my amp, when I played lighter, it gave me sparkle and chime. My jaw just sort of dropped and I thought, I can use this. This was very intriguing.
Hi

W would like to ask if you were plugged into mixer and monitors, or powered monitors, or to the guitar cab (omiitiing cab from kemper)

what guitar were you using?

Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear interested

I was using a Tom Anderson Classic Strat with a Humbucker in the Bridge...

I think I was running thru a Vintech 1073 but the EQ was off, into a distressor but it wasn't compressing as no lights were coming on...into the Eleven Rack which is my interface, listening thru some Adams A7's...I just plugged into where I normally plug the microphone when I am recording my cabinets...
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Do they expect a rack version sometime this year? One that just plays back profiles?

TH
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

I asked. They wouldnt say.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do they expect a rack version sometime this year? One that just plays back profiles?

TH
I believe a rack version is in the works but no timeline as of yet. For me I don't need to rack but I know many people do.
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

TH
There won't be a Kemper that just plays back Profiles.
Old 3rd March 2012
It's worth it even if you don't make your own profiles, it just sounds glorious, even the bass amp profiles that users have made are just huge, here's a noodle I quickly knocked together earlier today using the KPA for both the guitar and bass : http://www.peranders.com/music/music/noodle120302a.mp3 . Bear in mind that this is just about the cheapest and crappiest bass guitar you could possibly find or use new, just a $70 Dean where half the electronics want to constantly pop out of the body, tone rolled back a fair bit on the instrument for a smoother less woody tone and it still sounds great through the KPA (IMO).

At this point I think it's just a fantastic tool to have available.
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
It's worth it even if you don't make your own profiles, it just sounds glorious, even the bass amp profiles that users have made are just huge, here's a noodle I quickly knocked together earlier today using the KPA for both the guitar and bass : http://www.peranders.com/music/music/noodle120302a.mp3 . Bear in mind that this is just about the cheapest and crappiest bass guitar you could possibly find or use new, just a $70 Dean where half the electronics want to constantly pop out of the body, tone rolled back a fair bit on the instrument for a smoother less woody tone and it still sounds great through the KPA (IMO).

Any EQ'ing or mixing? What guitar was used and what profile (I hear some delay)? It's sounding really sweet. Even the bass is acceptable for as you stated 70$ gear.
Old 3rd March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc131 View Post
Any EQ'ing or mixing? What guitar was used and what profile (I hear some delay)? It's sounding really sweet. Even the bass is acceptable for as you stated 70$ gear.
Hi, thanks! The guitar is a Parker P38 Piezo bridge + middle single coil through the Mesa Roadking Brit profile that comes with the unit, I reduced the gain and added some reverb and delay on the KPA itself and I think a touch of chorus (there's no DAW fx on the guitar track, what you hear is straight out of the KPA). The acoustic is a Cort Parkwood through an SM58 and Tube Pre.

Mixing is just rudimentary, pan and levels only, although on the bass I cut some of the lowest frequencies with a hpf to tighten it up a little, and I added some verb on the drums, piano and acoustic guitar to push them back slightly. The DAW used was Reason, and the audio interface was actually my Pod HD500 because unfortunately the KPA doesn't have direct PC/Mac audio connectivity through it's USB (and I knocked together the noodle while taking a break from coding here in Visual Studio in Bootcamp).
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
There won't be a Kemper that just plays back Profiles.
Did they say that?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post

OK so when is a pro studio going to do some profiles of famous amps...and start selling them? I'd buy!
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK so when is a pro studio going to do some profiles of famous amps...and start selling them? I'd buy!
I have profiled my 3 Monkeys Orangutan, Bogner Shiva el34, Vox AC30h2l, Xits X10, and Orange Rockerverb 50, all with a 121. Doing a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb next. I have already uploaded a bunch of them on the Kemper site, they are all free.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I have profiled my 3 Monkeys Orangutan, Bogner Shiva el34, Vox AC39h2l, Xits X10, and Orange Rockerverb 50, all with a 121.. Doing a 1966 Fender Pro Reverb next. I have already uploaded a bunch of them on the Kemper site, they are all free.
Super! Thanks a ton. That Shiva is terrific.

Does anyone know if there is a high gain Diezel profile out there somewhere?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think there was one or so peeps who were trying to sell profiles, and it wasn't looked upon with much happiness overal, in the sense of the community. but I personally would also shell out a little coin if there were some stellar stellar sounding profiles, I would not be against that. however a few peeps have gone above and beyond in sharing. Feck for one. A guy named Tyler I believe shared like 60 Cab profiles, and they all sound killer. Sometimes I will just use a patch someone posted, and pair it up with his cabs and it takes the sound to a whole nother level. Right now there is a diezel Herbert channel 2 profile, its pretty decent....
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Super! Thanks a ton. That Shiva is terrific.

Does anyone know if there is a high gain Diezel profile out there somewhere?
I really like Fecks Shiva, and especially when I paired it with one of the Tyler's Cab profiles, made it sound HUGE..
Old 4th March 2012
I only see one Diezel Herbert Channel 2 on there, haven't tried it out, but I could dl and give it a shot if your'e interested in hearing how it sounds.

But there are already a tone of great profiles on there, just check the profile exchange section of their website, the user ones are nearly all just as good if not better than the ones that come with the unit, and the ones that come with were done in various famous studios (and are famous amps).
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Great. Yeah sounds like my next purchase. I live on deadlines and have been using Guitar Rig for too long lol. So I'm hoping things start sounding much better when this arrives in a couple weeks.

TH
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great. Yeah sounds like my next purchase. I live on deadlines and have been using Guitar Rig for too long lol. So I'm hoping things start sounding much better when this arrives in a couple weeks.

TH
Dude, The Kemper will crap all over Guitar rig.

Not to say there isn't some duds in there and in the user, but when you get and find the ones that work with you and your guitars, you will be a happy camper. I am getting the best direct sounds I have ever got, and I have been on modellers for a long time, got fed up and bought amps, and now I am quite happy just using the kemper.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Dude, The Kemper will crap all over Guitar rig.

Not to say there isn't some duds in there and in the user, but when you get and find the ones that work with you and your guitars, you will be a happy camper. I am getting the best direct sounds I have ever got, and I have been on modellers for a long time, got fed up and bought amps, and now I am quite happy just using the kemper.
That's good to hear, because after much urging by at least one member up here who gets great sounds with live small amps at home in his closet, I was facing buying two or three small amps, etc, and dealing with all that. And I still couldn't record late at night, even in a closet those things can be loud. So if the Kemper gets most of the way there I'm in heaven.

Plus I have a 65 Dual Showman that I would love to profile!

Tom
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Guru

So are all the retailers in the US out of stock currently? When are more units expected?
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

There is one down the street from me at Maken Music right now, I am guessing there are more in stock in the US. Gonna take the plunge?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz App
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
There is one down the street from me at Maken Music right now, I am guessing there are more in stock in the US. Gonna take the plunge?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz App
Yeah I am thinking more that I am. I will check into Makn Music. Initial impression is there return policy is a little tenuous, and I want to be sure I can return it for a full refund if I don't bond with it.

thanks
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Yeah I am thinking more that I am. I will check into Makn Music. Initial impression is there return policy is a little tenuous, and I want to be sure I can return it for a full refund if I don't bond with it.

thanks
Check out JRR music....
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks
Since you said u do ambient stuff you might also look strongly at the axe fx simply because it has ad can do some really cool effected stuff and has much more advanced fx selection. However when it comes to raw amp sound I personally gotta give the nod to Kemper. Kemper has some basic but good sounding efx. But you can use a loop if u have external efx if u want to

But on another note someone just posted profiles of the first 40 presets of the axe fx. Haha. So yeah it's possible to have the axe fx raw amp sounds in the Kemper right now. I know the axe is working in allowing them to do the same.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Since you said u do ambient stuff you might also look strongly at the axe fx simply because it has ad can do some really cool effected stuff and has much more advanced fx selection. However when it comes to raw amp sound I personally gotta give the nod to Kemper. Kemper has some basic but good sounding efx. But you can use a loop if u have external efx if u want to

But on another note someone just posted profiles of the first 40 presets of the axe fx. Haha. So yeah it's possible to have the axe fx raw amp sounds in the Kemper right now. I know the axe is working in allowing them to do the same.
I have a Eventide H8000 for effects. heh So I am more interested in amp tone.
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh cool. I believe you can send to eventide and then return IN STEREO back to the kemper, just has to put in an efx loop block. haven't tried it to know how well it works but the converstion on the kemper seems pretty solid and transarent, even though its only 44.1...
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, the KPA plus an H8000 would pretty much be unbeatable in the amp sim/fx world.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search