The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

demoed only the stock profiles in a shop
but think it could be stunning with bass too with the right profiles
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

how were the stock profiles?
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
well, kinda both, haha

i have a les paul classic plus

and a PRS 513, which i use for a much more strat like sound
here ya go man.

here is me noodling on the london amps STOCK preset. First with a strat then with a les paul. let me know what you think. I don't have the same gear that they guy in the video is doing nor his chops so hope this at least gives and idea of the amp.

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/London%20Amp.mp3
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

wow

excellent!

the sound with the humbuckers is gorgeous! and exactly what i am looking for

that's amazing how good this thing sounds with these profiles.

thanks a ton for taking the time to do that! playing was great to!
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow

excellent!

You bet. Sometimes I pass over a stock profile like meh, but then I change guitar and its like, oh yeah that is pretty awesome. There is so much you can do to, like even change out the profiles CAB it was recorded with and swap with another profiles cab. I don't know how it does it but check this out... Here is a clip, first with the user profile as downloaded. then I switched the cab inside the kemper to another user cab and it changes the sound pretty dramatically

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/Cab%20switching.mp3
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow

excellent!

I think what I like best about kemper is its not a moddelled version of said amp, someones best estimation. It IS that amp being sampled and profiled. And usually the profile process can work pretty spot on, so the end result is near perfect replication of what the mic is hearing. and the sound of the kemper is great, good A/D D/A etc. really a top notch box even without the killer user profiles
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

wow

yeah that's pretty amazing. i have the axe 2 and i like it but i am looking for something that is "easy", as in i want to love a sound and play it right away.

i am pretty amazed by the kemper sounds

how is the build? support? software?

thanks!
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow

yeah that's pretty amazing. i have the axe 2 and i like it but i am looking for something that is "easy", as in i want to love a sound and play it right away.

i am pretty amazed by the kemper sounds

how is the build? support? software?

thanks!
The kemper is not as mature as the Axe FX. And the Axe FX has much more features, however coming from the standard, the kemper is very easy to operate, very easy to me, I actually love the layout, well except that you have to use a usb stick and go back and forth to your computer, I wish it was all just integrated, and it may provide that later, but for now I don't mind the USB stick approach. they seem to be supporting it well. They just released a new software update that takes care of some issues, however it introduced a new one, which hopefully will be taken care of. if you are familiar with access virus synths, it is the same guy behind that I believe, so they don't come without a killer history. I just heard some guy post a recto clip from the axe fx II. it sounded pretty good, but now that I have been using the kemper, I hear stuff that I think the kemper just does better and more real. The axe II recto clip just had something I didn't love, where as some of my recto clips KILL and sound just like a micd up amp. Overall I am very happy I went with kemper instead of Axe II. I am still on teh waiting list for the axe II but I won't be picking it up. Gonna stay kemper. It just sounds right to me. There are a few things that can mess you up and make you distort your signal to be aware of , like input volume etc. and also trying to add gain to a clean profiled patch sounds like dog poo. it has to be profiled as a distortion patch in order to add pleasing gain drive after the fact.

I got sick of fighting with the axe standard. I am sure the II is much better but still I can go read any number of axe posts and see all the suggestions to make it "realer" add this cab block, add this reverb block set to this and this, adjust the motor switch, adjust this adjust this. etc. forget it. All I usually have to do is change eq adjustments easily found on the front panel of teh kemper and I am done if I like the sound. I don't have to worry about making it more real, cause most of them sound plenty raw and real like the actual thing to me. of course they are all dependant on how well or what mic was used in the profiling. its a fun fun box and I am addicted to it and have been spending so much time just playing and trying out different stuff
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Here is a full track I did using all guitars (except bass) from the kemper. There are now bass profiles up that I will try using. Bass guitar is using amplitube 2 for a little grit, that sounds kinda fake so hope you can hear past that..

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/...0Ramp%20Up.mp3
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

very nice

thanks for the feedback

i had the standard for years to! i just happened to get the axe 2 before i had even heard of the kemper. i like the axe 2 hardware layout and the editor finally works really well, updates finally work easily to!

but again, even with 3 banks of presets nothing really jumps out at me. so you are looking at, or i am, a LOT of time starting from scratch trying to build the exact same sound i just heard you play me!

the good news is if i decided to sell the axe 2 i know it would be pretty easy to do

to me as well the kemper, out of the box just sounds alot better
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

dang

that song is great, ha, i really like the drums to

is this all direct? or do you re amp and mic?

i would be running it direct into my n12 for now and into cubase. i am looking at an upgraded setup down the road but this suits me pretty well now

i just have a small home studio
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Here is a full track I did using all guitars (except bass) from the kemper. There are now bass profiles up that I will try using. Bass guitar is using amplitube 2 for a little grit, that sounds kinda fake so hope you can hear past that..

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/...0Ramp%20Up.mp3
sounds cool man!
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
dang

that song is great, ha, i really like the drums to

is this all direct? or do you re amp and mic?

i would be running it direct into my n12 for now and into cubase. i am looking at an upgraded setup down the road but this suits me pretty well now

i just have a small home studio
That is all direct from Kemper into pro toOls no tricks except multiple tracking nothing needed. I didn't even post eq guitars just something On the overall master. Efx are from pt though
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

very nice

thats what i was hoping to hear

well the next shipment is supposed to be on on the 2nd at sweetwater and i am on that list

its going to be an interesting time with the axe 2 and kemper right next to each other running into the n12 together

i know alot of axe guys say you just have to tweak to get sounds as good as what i hear in the kemper, but i have tweaked a fractal a whole lot and never gotten anything as good as that london sound
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
very nice

thats what i was hoping to hear

well the next shipment is supposed to be on on the 2nd at sweetwater and i am on that list

its going to be an interesting time with the axe 2 and kemper right next to each other running into the n12 together

i know alot of axe guys say you just have to tweak to get sounds as good as what i hear in the kemper, but i have tweaked a fractal a whole lot and never gotten anything as good as that london sound
I agree. I have heard some stellar fractal clips, specially in the mix but they always still sound a little direct and unatural, where as some, or most of the kemper sounds more like what you would hear with the amp in the other room. I know Fractal is working on trying to do what the kemper does, but I can't get past what cliff said when kemper was first announced, that cliff tried that and thought it wasn't as good as his approach. so now he is backgtracking to do what he said wasn't as good as his unit just so he won't lose business, he of course announced this the day kempers started shipping. ha. Overall I am over fractal, I mean sure I could buy one now if I pay 500 bucks more and skip the line, otherwise I would have to wait months, crappy biz model for the consumer, good for the creator. I got my kemper cheaper then I could an axe even used, and it sounds better and I like it more for my work flow...

right now kemper profiles are only mono, that is where the axe does shine, creating monster patches and rigs not easily possible in real life, but I think kemper will only get better, besides some of my mono patches sound bigger then fractals stereo stuff. Will be interested in your experiences as some people who have both either keep the axe or keep the kemper all depending on their workflow I guess. pesonally i don't miss anything the axe does, I'll take the sound of the kemper
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

The Kemper sounds like it's going to be great. Right now it gives me the impression of a work in progress. I think they will refine it, rack it, and improve it over the next year or so and these first units will look like an Emax

But it's great to have an alternative to the Axe. Good as it is, I'm also put off by the attitude of the company and the whole cult thing it brings.

Plus, guys in the thread "Anyone Recording Amps at Home" or whatever it's called, have shown that you could take the same money and buy 3 small amps and do it in your closet, with results that sound terrific....and....are real.

TH
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
how were the stock profiles?
couldnt identify bass presets
but think with some selected profiles it should work as well as on guitars
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
3 small amps and do it in your closet, with results that sound terrific.

TH
Well, obviously the closet and terrific part are subjective. But the number 3 is not. The KPA doesn't have that limitation.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
you could take the same money and buy 3 small amps and do it in your closet, with results that sound terrific....and....are real.

TH
Well, the Kemper recorded tone is as real as the tone you get when you mike the amp in the "closet".
Old 26th February 2012
ajs
Gear Maniac

Quote:
right now kemper profiles are only mono...
I hope it stays mono. I'm beyond tired of being aurally assaulted by bloated dual amps and a billion fx...both of which seem to exist in order to compensate for the inherent lack which modelling displays.

The KPA is like a breath of fresh air.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

New SRV Type Clip...

This is not me playing. Really like the sound this guy got.

Haven't heard this done near as well anywhere in modeling land up till now. Might be out there but I haven't heard it. And no... Amplitube "Fender" does not do this.

Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Well, obviously the closet and terrific part are subjective. But the number 3 is not. The KPA doesn't have that limitation.
Listen to Mike P's clips and tell me they don't sound great.

TH
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tok22 View Post
Well, the Kemper recorded tone is as real as the tone you get when you mike the amp in the "closet".
Yeah in theory I guess. That's why I'm hoping this thing turns out to be a good thing, because a lot of us still have to work late at night without the police knocking on the door

TH
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Kemper sounds like it's going to be great. Right now it gives me the impression of a work in progress. I think they will refine it, rack it, and improve it over the next year or so and these first units will look like an Emax

But it's great to have an alternative to the Axe. Good as it is, I'm also put off by the attitude of the company and the whole cult thing it brings.

Plus, guys in the thread "Anyone Recording Amps at Home" or whatever it's called, have shown that you could take the same money and buy 3 small amps and do it in your closet, with results that sound terrific....and....are real.

TH
YES me to man, I think the cult thing behind the axe is annoying. They get so defensive and what not when anything negative is said about it, ha. I honestly think the kemper has a few of them sweating, but they will never admit it sounds better then their box they paid more for. Axe II is killer, and Cliff is a genious though, but for now I don't think it can reproduce the realism of a mic'd up amp like kemper can right now. The models have never really sounded like the real thing to me, close approximations is all, but kemper using the micing technique, does get you that same amp and cab sound pretty convincingly. Neither product is perfect and one might be better for workflow etc. Kemper right now is kinda a work in progress, being public beta software and what not and they are working out some of the bugs.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah in theory I guess. That's why I'm hoping this thing turns out to be a good thing, because a lot of us still have to work late at night without the police knocking on the door

TH
I used the Axe STandard for a long time and eventually went back to micing up my amp cause it just sat better, and sounded better then anything I could get with the axe. This is where kemper intrigued me. I will say that when I profiled my amp, it sounded pretty much dead on the same as what the mics where hearing. I can pull up my created profile and play it, and feel confident that I am not missing all that much notable if I used the kemper profile versus micing up my amp again etc. This is huge for me as I also work late at night and can't play loud. it really can and does work pretty well. There will never be a thing as a tube amp killer, but its soo awesome for my pocket book that I can actually get realistic tones from other REAL amps in my kemper without really wanting a whole lot more. Any other modeller to date has always left me wanting, the kemper, not nearly as much

Where kemper excells at is close micing. I think once you get some distant room mics in the works, it can't reproduce all of that ambient sound well. not personal experience. but from what I hear. What I do hear though when close micing with a little space is that you can hear that space, and it sounds good, and makes it sound just like the amp is being micd in a room, rather then a direct DI taken.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Head

Make sure your studio monitors are screwed down solid when you try this Profile...it's brutal!

Ola Englund.

Kemper Profiling Amp - Triple Rectifier Profile - YouTube
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used the Axe STandard for a long time and eventually went back to micing up my amp cause it just sat better, and sounded better then anything I could get with the axe. This is where kemper intrigued me. I will say that when I profiled my amp, it sounded pretty much dead on the same as what the mics where hearing. I can pull up my created profile and play it, and feel confident that I am not missing all that much notable if I used the kemper profile versus micing up my amp again etc. This is huge for me as I also work late at night and can't play loud. it really can and does work pretty well. There will never be a thing as a tube amp killer, but its soo awesome for my pocket book that I can actually get realistic tones from other REAL amps in my kemper without really wanting a whole lot more. Any other modeller to date has always left me wanting, the kemper, not nearly as much

Where kemper excells at is close micing. I think once you get some distant room mics in the works, it can't reproduce all of that ambient sound well. not personal experience. but from what I hear. What I do hear though when close micing with a little space is that you can hear that space, and it sounds good, and makes it sound just like the amp is being micd in a room, rather then a direct DI taken.
Boy that's good to hear! I'm truly excited that there is a new kid on the block at last. Saving pennies

TH
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

yeah the Kemper is solid for close micing sounds, sometimes it's very hard to tell the difference with certain types of tones.

For a bit of ambience e.g. secondary distant room mic, that's where things need to go back to the real world with real mics.

At the end of the day, I still prefer using my RCA 44 with my Bees Neez Frank mic in front of my Germino Monterey and fender 5e3,

Looking forward to some songs and headhpone practice with the great kemper though, it's definately a very talented littlel digital gal.

Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

OK pardon the dumb question but...

When a profile of an amp is made, doesn't the way that profile sounds depend on what guitar was used??

So, if I play a Les Paul and download a profile that says "Marshall Plexi"....how do I know what guitar was used to make the profile? Do they say on the profiles?

Confused....

TH
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Not especially since the profile is generated with the KPA test signals. If the user refined the profile, then the guitar would have an effect, although I don't know to what degree that ends up mattering. I suspect it is noticeable.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz App
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search