The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kemper Profiling Amplifier
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Bollocks...I was afraid of that! Well...at least my wallet will be a little lighter, right?

Cheers Feck...appreciate you taking the time, and will watch out for your soundcloud. Congrats on the new addition, brother...enjoy!

Edit: Oh yeah...how's the build, mate? Sometimes when I look at it, the word "plasticy" pops into my head. Tell me my eyes deceive me!?
No problem, thanks man! Regarding the build, it is pretty sturdy in my opinion - nice thick metal shell. The knobs are plastic I think, but they feel good and control nicely. Here is a link to a quick guitar noodle...
KPA Kemper Profiling Amp demo - 3 Monkeys Orangutan clean voice 1 profile by Stranded On A Planet on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Wow! Sounds Great!
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Just got the kemper.... it is the most realistic modeler I have used when it comes to mimicking a real mic on a guitar cab in a room sound, for the great and not so great (depending on the profile and mic placement etc). Pretty excited about what this thing can and will do
Old 18th February 2012
I had a very similar experience as Feck did with profiling. The source amp sounded a bit mellower in comparison to the kemper version. Not sure I preferred it on the drive channel but it was only a slight difference and I still liked the sound I was hearing. Cleans came out real nice though.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Do any of you kemper owners have the axe fx II?
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
No problem, thanks man! Regarding the build, it is pretty sturdy in my opinion - nice thick metal shell. The knobs are plastic I think, but they feel good and control nicely. Here is a link to a quick guitar noodle...
KPA Kemper Profiling Amp demo - 3 Monkeys Orangutan clean voice 1 profile by Stranded On A Planet on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Sounds awesome Scott. That sounded so "****ing special". heh What guitar was that? I'd be interested how you think the profile responds with a different guitar.
Old 18th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Do any of you kemper owners have the axe fx II?
No, but I do have the Axe Fx Standard and I believe Feck had the Ultra. If you are looking for people who have tried both the Axe II and the Kemper, there is a thead over at The Gear Page just for that in the digital modeling forum over there.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Sounds awesome Scott. That sounded so "****ing special". heh What guitar was that? I'd be interested how you think the profile responds with a different guitar.
Thanks Stacy! This was an HSS American Deluxe Strat. I haven't yet tried it with another guitar, but I will today. Per our conversation, since the KPA uses its own test signals to make a profile, the guitar could only affect the profiling potentially during the refining process, so I don't know how much of a difference each guitar could make on the creation of the profile itself. Of course it will make the usual difference once the profile is made.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds glorious, brother...very nice! Fire when ready...all ears on any more you knock out...and of course any thoughts/opinions as you go!

Great news on the build! I've done very little research (which is why 44.1 s/pdif caught me by surprise recently) on the KPA. One of those boxes that I pretty much knew I was going to buy, mostly because of positive experiences with the man's other creations. I've talked myself into buying stuff in the past just based on expectations...mixed results on success rates there. Trying a new approach by letting the KPA seek me out, rather than the other way around!

Glad its a metal shell...thought it was possibly thick plastic from what I've seen.

Rip it up!
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Another KPA Orangutan clip, this one gritty...I refined this one 4 times and now it is really close. A bit less bass-heavy, and a tad darker on the high end but VERY close to the original amp tone.

Kemper Orangutan gritty voice 3 by Stranded On A Planet on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And some solo ******y to demonstrate the nuances and dynamics...

http://soundcloud.com/strandedonapla...n-voice-3-solo
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicianof1 View Post
I had a very similar experience as Feck did with profiling. The source amp sounded a bit mellower in comparison to the kemper version. Not sure I preferred it on the drive channel but it was only a slight difference and I still liked the sound I was hearing. Cleans came out real nice though.
I just did my first profile and it turned out pretty much identical to the micd up amp. there was nothing that I was noticing that was like, wow that is not the same, it worked very very good. Plus if you want, you can further tweak the profile, beyond just eq, such as how the preamp would react, sag, even even speaker cab axis, making brighter or mellower. its all pretty tweakable actually. I was very surprised at just how well it captured my amp.

I owned the axe FX standard before this and as far as realism, there really is no comparison, doesn't mean kemper will always be best or right, as micing an amp is an art form in itself and so many variables that make or break, but as far as being realistic, there is no comparison out there in my humble opinion..

here is the profile I did of my 5150 III, and in this clip, you will hear me adjusting the gain on the kemper as well as eq, so you can hear how you can change the profile just from the kemper after you profile it..
http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/...%20Gain%20.mp3
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another KPA Orangutan clip, this one gritty...I refined this one 4 times and now it is really close. A bit less bass-heavy, and a tad darker on the high end but VERY close to the original amp tone.

Kemper Orangutan gritty voice 3 by Stranded On A Planet on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And some solo ******y to demonstrate the nuances and dynamics...

Kemper Orangutan voice 3 solo noodles by Stranded On A Planet on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Very nice! did you or can you post your profile on the exhange? preety please :-)
Old 19th February 2012
Just exploring some of the stock profiles, an AC30 through a Royer 121 apparently : http://www.peranders.com/music/music/noodle120218a.mp3 gives quite a nice woody tone on the bass too (going through the same rig). Tad more compressed of a tone than I'd normally go for, but it's got plenty of punch to push itself forward in a mix.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Very nice! did you or can you post your profile on the exhange? preety please :-)
I just posted the three I made/used for the demos. Check them out! Is your 5150 profile up? It sounds great on your demo.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just posted the three I made/used for the demos. Check them out! Is your 5150 profile up? It sounds great on your demo.
Yes I posted it up today. This is so fun
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Yes I posted it up today. This is so fun

Less chat boys...much to do...much to share!

Seriously...much appreciated. Enjoy!
Old 19th February 2012
Here for the gear

Soo many toys

There are just soo many toys i get exposed to being a part of this forum. I sometimes get confused as there are soo many opinions about different
pieces of hardware.
This looks alright though........
Old 19th February 2012
TRA
Lives for gear

How much are these amps going for? Do they come with pre-loaded profiles?
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Less chat boys...much to do...much to share!

Seriously...much appreciated. Enjoy!
Haha, tell me about it! The KPA community is half the fun....I think there is a bright future in store for this unit.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, tell me about it! The KPA community is half the fun....I think there is a bright future in store for this unit.
Damn straight! I'm sold!

Only question now is am I going to want one in Dublin and another in Toronto? As with the Virus TI...I'm assuming the answer is...YES!

Where did you pick yours up again, feck? No panic...I can dig back and find it, but if you're around...shoot!

Cheers mate!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn straight! I'm sold!

Only question now is am I going to want one in Dublin and another in Toronto? As with the Virus TI...I'm assuming the answer is...YES!

Where did you pick yours up again, feck? No panic...I can dig back and find it, but if you're around...shoot!

Cheers mate!
I actually ordered it from JRR Shop, but their delivery didn't happen on time so I went local and grabbed it from Make'n Music. JRR has the best price I have seen though...
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
$1850 from Sweetwater...little cheaper elsewhere, I believe...but in and around there.

Affirmative on pre-loaded profiles. Many more shared on line within the KPA community.

Someone else (who actually owns it) can give you more details on what is included out of the box, but there seems to be a pretty decent amount to get rolling. But...there are some pretty serious profiles floating around on-line. Great tool!
Old 19th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
$1850 from Sweetwater, considerably less in Europe from Thomann. Yes they come preloaded with profiles, but most of the fun is in making your own and sharing/exchanging with other users. There's already lots of them many much better than the inbuilt profiles.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
$1850 from Sweetwater...little cheaper elsewhere, I believe...but in and around there.

Affirmative on pre-loaded profiles. Many more shared on line within the KPA community.

Someone else (who actually owns it) can give you more details on what is included out of the box, but there seems to be a pretty decent amount to get rolling. But...there are some pretty serious profiles floating around on-line. Great tool!
There are tons of profiles in it, and plenty online already. The fun, in my opinion, is making your own.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually ordered it from JRR Shop, but their delivery didn't happen on time so I went local and grabbed it from Make'n Music. JRR has the best price I have seen though...
Nice one, mate.

Wow...just checked JRR...$1729.20...good bit cheaper than SW. Never dealt with JRR Shop. Decent enough, I assume? Substantial savings.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice one, mate.

Wow...just checked JRR...$1729.20...good bit cheaper than SW. Never dealt with JRR Shop. Decent enough, I assume? Substantial savings.
If you are a first time customer it is 10% off. They seemed cool enough to me.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are tons of profiles in it, and plenty online already. The fun, in my opinion, is making your own.
Absolutely!

For me...I'm not a gigging guitar player...will purely be a studio tool. I have two studios, and split my time between Dublin and Toronto. I have a few amps in each place, but only twice have I ever shipped an amp back and forth for particular (extended) sessions. I have, however, often "wished" I had an amp from the other location, though. With the Kemper...maybe not so much anymore!

The other thing that will be great is to take a profile of each setup (where time/budget permits) and store it in the session folder with everything else (plus in the KPA if it is a GREAT profile! ). If minor fixes/overdubs need to be done down the road...use the Kemper! OR...tweak the amp to match the Kemper if the settings need to be "recalled."

Exciting stuff!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely!

For me...I'm not a gigging guitar player...will purely be a studio tool. I have two studios, and split my time between Dublin and Toronto. I have a few amps in each place, but only twice have I ever shipped an amp back and forth for particular (extended) sessions. I have, however, often "wished" I had an amp from the other location, though. With the Kemper...maybe not so much anymore!

The other thing that will be great is to take a profile of each setup (where time/budget permits) and store it in the session folder with everything else (plus in the KPA if it is a GREAT profile! ). If minor fixes/overdubs need to be done down the road...use the Kemper! OR...tweak the amp to match the Kemper if the settings need to be "recalled."

Exciting stuff!
Exactly, there really are a ton of possibilities, and lots of new conveniences. It's a pretty small unit, it would be easy to travel with as well. Dublin and Toronto...2 killer cities man! Nice.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you are a first time customer it is 10% off. They seemed cool enough to me.
Holy shiz...that's like 16% cheaper than Sweetwater then. Great!

I must stand you a few bevvies next time I'm in Chi-town! OR...one of my fave meals on the planet...a strip steak...vesuvio style, shrimp cocktail, and the creamed spinach from Gene and Georgetti's. Ohhhhhh man...once a year is a MUST!
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Holy shiz...that's like 16% cheaper than Sweetwater then. Great!

I must stand you a few bevvies next time I'm in Chi-town! OR...one of my fave meals on the planet...a strip steak...vesuvio style, shrimp cocktail, and the creamed spinach from Gene and Georgetti's. Ohhhhhh man...once a year is a MUST!
Ha, we were just at Gene and Georgetti's last month! Great spot. For sure, hit me up if you are coming through town. Here is another clip of the KPA doing the Orangutan nasty crunch....talk about a badass sound!

Kemper Orangutan distorted voice 3 by Stranded On A Planet on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search