The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SAE Custom Series 75 : try 2 Consoles
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Hell yeah, Jono! Hurry up and get that thing installed!

-Ben B
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Is that the pics of it leaving Neve or arriving at your studio?
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Addict

those were from the departure from AU. We threw a couple of virgins in the volcano, slaughtered a goat, and prayed for a safe journey. Now arranging for forklift and assembling the cast of Ben-Hur to unload-uncrate it here. JN
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now arranging for forklift and assembling the cast of Ben-Hur to unload-uncrate it here. JN
Do you know what it weighs in at yet? If not, do please tell when it arrives (should be on the bill of lading).
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Addict

about 600 pounds all in, crated.
Old 20th August 2011
Gear Addict

...600 pounds was based on conversations prior to shipping. In the end it was 735 pounds...
Attached Thumbnails
SAE Custom Series 75 : try 2-p8190130.jpg   SAE Custom Series 75 : try 2-p8190134.jpg  
Old 20th August 2011
Here for the gear

Looks Awesome!!!!! Congrats!!!
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Jono,

Have you done any sessions on it yet? Would love to hear your impressions on the modern and retro output stages, preamp/EQs, etc.

-Ben B
Old 21st August 2011
Here for the gear

Samples.... Samples....Samples...
Old 23rd August 2011
Lives for gear

Powered it up yet ?

Any idea of how much juice it draws (after start up)? Does it get warm?
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Addict

It's easy to be really excited when you have the latest shiny object
in your hands...that being said, first impressions:

No tracking yet. Won't happen for a couple weeks given the schedule here.
So no comment on the pre's.

We have put 24 channels through the board. Have
fooled with varying program material for several hours.

eq's are really,really nice. spent a couple hours with them last night. Love em.

retro vs. modern - on individual channels it is subtle. the level of of
subtlety is dependent on program material, and use of eq. On some material
(say, a simple drum loop) - hard to hear. As you'd expect (I guess) - the retro effect accumulates with the more channels you add. If you pop the retro buss in globally (all channels at once) - with a dozen channels up you could hear it immediately. What you hear is entirely program dependent.
And it sounds pretty damned cool.

The OP retro, which is post the sum of the modern and retro buss - is more
pronounced. You can hear it very quickly. Adds another layer...
In general, Retro is like bar-b-que sauce (this is Austin, folks) - you
start out with just a little on your brisket, and next thing you know it's
on everything - the ribs, the beans, your bread, your fingers....then you think, 'maybe
I've had too much?'...but it's easy enough to remove (unlike the sauce).

The combinations of individual channels thru Retro/Modern busses,
Retro/Modern OP are kind of endless...we were talking about it yesterday - you can get pretty sophisticated in how you route - there are from 0 to 7 transformers available to the signal path by our count (I think). It's also possible to employ an all discrete/transformer coupled signal path by routing to the group outputs. Haven't done this, so can't comment on the effect...but nice to have the option.

Modern buss and modern OP are stunningly clear and detailed. When we were
testing mix room, we were playing audio directly into the monitors from
various devices - my spider, little mixers, etc. - nothing sounded
like this. Monitoring appears to be as hi-fi as Bruce had suggested...

They upgraded the faders to P&G - beautiful.

Wood is Camphor from AU - looks cool and smells cool!

Build quality very high. Popped a channel out - very clean. Some very
creative things going on under the hood (which were explained to me, but I
don't fully understand).

This is serial number 1, and I knew what would entail - we had lots of
communication with Bruce and the team in AU so we were intimately aware of
where they were at relative to testing. There were some advanced software
functions that were going to take some more testing - largely related to
advanced solo modes, surround monitoring, scene management, etc. There was also
an issue with the compressors - they came back with a pinout problem on one
of the boards, which could have been hacked but in reality should be
re-manufactured to do it right. Rather than wait for this stuff, we decided
to take delivery now. So those things will be missing for a few weeks - no
review there.

All in all - a very cool piece of kit. Lots of advanced features, sounds
really, really lovely. I won't comment on whether how accurately it
reproduces your favorite vintage Neve, as that's not material to me. But it
does do some things that the other new consoles on the market won't do - at least that I could find. I can't wait to try the pre's....

I probably won't post again for awhile, and there aren't going to be any
samples...we're swamped with things to get done - and we have
folks that want to begin recording asap...

Fleaman - I would describe as warm, but not hot.

JN
Attached Thumbnails
SAE Custom Series 75 : try 2-p8230143.jpg  
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Addict

one more of the mess...but getting there!
Attached Thumbnails
SAE Custom Series 75 : try 2-p8220139.jpg  
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's easy to be really excited when you have the latest shiny object
in your hands...that being said, first impressions:

No tracking yet. Won't happen for a couple weeks given the schedule here.
So no comment on the pre's.

We have put 24 channels through the board. Have
fooled with varying program material for several hours.

eq's are really,really nice. spent a couple hours with them last night. Love em.

retro vs. modern - on individual channels it is subtle. the level of of
subtlety is dependent on program material, and use of eq. On some material
(say, a simple drum loop) - hard to hear. As you'd expect (I guess) - the retro effect accumulates with the more channels you add. If you pop the retro buss in globally (all channels at once) - with a dozen channels up you could hear it immediately. What you hear is entirely program dependent.
And it sounds pretty damned cool.

The OP retro, which is post the sum of the modern and retro buss - is more
pronounced. You can hear it very quickly. Adds another layer...
In general, Retro is like bar-b-que sauce (this is Austin, folks) - you
start out with just a little on your brisket, and next thing you know it's
on everything - the ribs, the beans, your bread, your fingers....then you think, 'maybe
I've had too much?'...but it's easy enough to remove (unlike the sauce).

The combinations of individual channels thru Retro/Modern busses,
Retro/Modern OP are kind of endless...we were talking about it yesterday - you can get pretty sophisticated in how you route - there are from 0 to 7 transformers available to the signal path by our count (I think). It's also possible to employ an all discrete/transformer coupled signal path by routing to the group outputs. Haven't done this, so can't comment on the effect...but nice to have the option.

Modern buss and modern OP are stunningly clear and detailed. When we were
testing mix room, we were playing audio directly into the monitors from
various devices - my spider, little mixers, etc. - nothing sounded
like this. Monitoring appears to be as hi-fi as Bruce had suggested...

They upgraded the faders to P&G - beautiful.

Wood is Camphor from AU - looks cool and smells cool!

Build quality very high. Popped a channel out - very clean. Some very
creative things going on under the hood (which were explained to me, but I
don't fully understand).

This is serial number 1, and I knew what would entail - we had lots of
communication with Bruce and the team in AU so we were intimately aware of
where they were at relative to testing. There were some advanced software
functions that were going to take some more testing - largely related to
advanced solo modes, surround monitoring, scene management, etc. There was also
an issue with the compressors - they came back with a pinout problem on one
of the boards, which could have been hacked but in reality should be
re-manufactured to do it right. Rather than wait for this stuff, we decided
to take delivery now. So those things will be missing for a few weeks - no
review there.

All in all - a very cool piece of kit. Lots of advanced features, sounds
really, really lovely. I won't comment on whether how accurately it
reproduces your favorite vintage Neve, as that's not material to me. But it
does do some things that the other new consoles on the market won't do - at least that I could find. I can't wait to try the pre's....

I probably won't post again for awhile, and there aren't going to be any
samples...we're swamped with things to get done - and we have
folks that want to begin recording asap...

Fleaman - I would describe as warm, but not hot.

JN
Thanks for the update! I'm noticing from the picture that the Console Mode (Status) buttons are different from the online manual. I no longer see buttons for Record and Mix modes. There is also a button labeled "Mix Ins," which I assume activates the mix bus insert. Did they eliminate the console mode switches, or did they relocate them to a different part of the console?

-Ben B
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Thanks for the update! I'm noticing from the picture that the Console Mode (Status) buttons are different from the online manual. I no longer see buttons for Record and Mix modes. There is also a button labeled "Mix Ins," which I assume activates the mix bus insert. Did they eliminate the console mode switches, or did they relocate them to a different part of the console?

-Ben B
Yeah, the manual needs to be updated. CH Select rotates thru inputs; line, mic, di, daw for all channels by holding it down. You can also flip faders for all ch's by holding it down. Gets you to same place, I think . It appears they needed some button real estate...there's a blank button there too. A future function for that one, I think.
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

Wow jono, that is just awesome, I'm truly jealous. My 36ch Audient ASP series is looking at me with an evil eye right now

I commend your faith with this. I myself have this as my #1 contender depending on how the automation comes along (and the price point of that ), and how the console works out for you and others over time.

There had been a LOT of pissing going on here on GS regarding the birthing of this console. At the very least, even if one doesn't like the man behind the curtain, it's hard to deny he has the capital means to make it incredible and at the very least, this console has and does things no other console does. I myself don't necessarily care who bankrolled it.
Old 24th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Wow jono, that is just awesome, I'm truly jealous. My 36ch Audient ASP series is looking at me with an evil eye right now

I commend your faith with this. I myself have this as my #1 contender depending on how the automation comes along (and the price point of that ), and how the console works out for you and others over time.

There had been a LOT of pissing going on here on GS regarding the birthing of this console. At the very least, even if one doesn't like the man behind the curtain, it's hard to deny he has the capital means to make it incredible and at the very least, this console has and does things no other console does. I myself don't necessarily care who bankrolled it.
Thanks. Never talked to the man behind the curtain, although I thought about trying to make it happen when I was wringing my hands over getting the console. It was a longer wait than I expected. I got a little antsy, truth be told. But I will say that the guys in front of the curtain have been truly open and honest about where things were at all along the way. And they got along very well with my partner, who is far more astute technically than I. So there was some trust built there. And I have to say...regarding the people that bankrolled it and built it - after opening it up and looking inside - who in their right f_cking mind would endeavor to build this thing? it was a monumental effort just to dream it up, let alone actually make it...there must be a little love in it somewhere...I give a lot of credit to anyone with vision and the ability to execute on that vision.
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you become more familiar with the EQ's it would be cool if you can elaborate a little more. I see in the fuzzy pic you appear to have a Retro 2A3 in your rack. I of course don't expect the console EQ to compare (different type of EQ's anyway), but never the less would be interested in how you think the console EQ compares to other (rack?) EQ's. I don't know what other EQ's you have, but if you have a selection, would you be selling off some of them now? Do you have a rack Neve type EQ (real or clone)?
Old 25th August 2011
Gear Addict

eq's

Fleaman - sent you an email....
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

Not trying to start a problem or anything, but why a email? We all want to know your thoughts!

Old 26th August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
Not trying to start a problem or anything, but why a email? We all want to know your thoughts!

Nah - my stupidity...I thought Fleaman was looking to buy some eq's. I have a few that aren't being used and I thought this an inappropriate place to talk about selling them - so I sent an email. Fleaman corrected me in a PM - complete misunderstanding on my part. Sorry about that
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

No worries.
It's a well known and documented phenomenon that acquiring a new console temporarily reduces the flow of oxygen to the brain significantly.
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
No worries.
It's a well known and documented phenomenon that acquiring a new console temporarily reduces the flow of oxygen to the brain significantly.
LOL!

By the way, congratz on the new console, it looks awesome!

Old 30th August 2011
Gear interested

Any updates yet ?

I'm so curious
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, the manual needs to be updated. CH Select rotates thru inputs; line, mic, di, daw for all channels by holding it down. You can also flip faders for all ch's by holding it down. Gets you to same place, I think . It appears they needed some button real estate...there's a blank button there too. A future function for that one, I think.
Jono,

Do they provide a more comprehensive printed manual with the console, compared to the one that's online?

-Ben B
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

Sorry - it's been kinda busy around here getting all this put together. Finally got to fool with the pre's for an hour or so. Very quiet, very, very nice. Put a couple of KM69's up on an acoustic guitar - just made some noise with it. One 69 thru the console pre, one thru a Cranesong Spider pre (non-fat-mode), line into console. also put a TF c-12 thru a console pre in omni next to the 69's for kicks.

69/Spider very detailed, crisp. 69 thru 2081 channel - top softened, more girth. Beautiful. C-12/2081 really really really nice.

Ben - no more doc - working off of the same thing you've got. They know it's an big to-do to get it updated. But I know they have orders for close to 20 consoles (18 or 19, I think) so they're flat out building units, I would guess.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, that's a lot of orders for a new console like this!!

Looks like you'll have some company!
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
69/Spider very detailed, crisp. 69 thru 2081 channel - top softened, more girth. Beautiful. C-12/2081 really really really nice.
So was that through the retro path or modern paths?
Old 31st August 2011
If I were in the market for a console, this is the console that I'd be looking at (24ch), assuming some sort of automation solution is released.
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
If I were in the market for a console, this is the console that I'd be looking at (24ch), assuming some sort of automation solution is released.
xfrmrs in. haven't tried w/out yet when recording. easy to do though - maybe today.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

So we've been given an estimate that ours should arrive late September or early October. I hope these are "realistic" (not "optimistic") estimates. I'm so stoked about this!

-Ben B
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search