The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Pro Audio FOX Microphone Preamplifier
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Nut

So I've listened to almost all of the preamps recorded on zenpro's clipalator, and IMO the Fox is easily in the top three (A-designs EM Silver was also terrific along with LaChapell's 583s; the Europa 1 sounded pretty nice as well on the "odd harmonics" setting). The only thing I noticed about the Fox, IMO, was possibly a little too much shine. However, it doesn't sound bad at all and without a doubt would be sought after by some; it also seems like this could be tamed quite easily if it was ever too noticeable. See what you think,

Clipalator: Audio and Video | Studio Gear Shootouts @ ZenProAudio.com
Old 1st January 2013
good times with the FOX!

Hello,
I just picked up a stereo Fox yesterday to use as makeup gain for my passive summing buss. I really like the flexibility of it. Rather than having to patch in a new preamplifier for a different flavor, I can just flip a switch! I snuck a peak inside and it looks like two different preamplifier circuits per channel (which is how it's advertised, I believe). Visually, it seemed to be something like API style transformers on one side and giant Altran Neve style output transformers on the other.
I'm running a project through it right now, and for this project, my favorite setting is turning out to be: Modern / Combo. Which I believe means it's the Neve style input stage with the Modern (API/ Millenia? style) output stage. It's funny, because my brain is wired to such a Neve-centric type of sound, I thought I'd just leave it on the Vintage Circuit and be done, but I'm really digging the flexibility of this thing!

Thanks Steven! I'm a big fan. I love your products. I have Trigger all over this project I'm wrapping up as well. I can't say enough about the Dragon as well. I don't own it yet, but I had the chance to hear it in John Feldman's studio and gushed.

Cheers!
Old 28th July 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIDERDOWN View Post
So I've listened to almost all of the preamps recorded on zenpro's clipalator, and IMO the Fox is easily in the top three (A-designs EM Silver was also terrific along with LaChapell's 583s; the Europa 1 sounded pretty nice as well on the "odd harmonics" setting). The only thing I noticed about the Fox, IMO, was possibly a little too much shine. However, it doesn't sound bad at all and without a doubt would be sought after by some; it also seems like this could be tamed quite easily if it was ever too noticeable. See what you think,

Clipalator: Audio and Video | Studio Gear Shootouts @ ZenProAudio.com
I too noticed that the EM Silver, the LaChapell, and in my opinion the Purple Pants sounded the best.
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I just downloaded the demo files from slate website
I did a lot of A/Bs
On acoustic material they never beat the other ones (1073, millenia) they lack some deepness
At the same time they never sound too harsh
Within this price range I don't see any reason to buy this model ... there are so many other great options
They seem to lack personality too, more like a kind of hybrid copy of better higher end models
Old 30th September 2016
Gear Maniac

recorded this two tracks through slate fox preamp..
vocal on the modern-normal

what do you think?

Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search