The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Fireface UFX
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Thanks again mate. I had a ff800 so now with a UFX there are new features I wasn't used to
What's your opinion on the sound quality difference between FF800 and UFX? Is it noticeable to you? Especially interested in the DA for monitoring. Is mix monitoring noticeably higher quality or clearer to you? Or close to the same? Thanks.
Old 1st March 2014
Here for the gear
Question:

Can you use the RME UFX as a stand alone mixer for band practice? I am thinking basically connecting a couple powered P.A speakers to the main outs, or would it make more sense connecting powered speakers to the line outs?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Thai View Post
Question:

Can you use the RME UFX as a stand alone mixer for band practice? I am thinking basically connecting a couple powered P.A speakers to the main outs, or would it make more sense connecting powered speakers to the line outs?
The main outs are on XLRs and the maximum output level is a tad higher than the TRS outputs. Other than that, they're the same. Now the main out is preassigned to output 1-2 so it makes more sense. I use mine for live work with 1-2 to FOH and the rest of the line outs connected to powered monitors, using TRS to XLR adapter cables and longer XLR cables.

Using it entirely standalone would be a pain in the arse, as the small LCD is too cumbersome to operate properly for mixing. Instead download Totalmix for Ipad and connect it with a USB cable and Camera Connection Kit. There, you have a useful mixer.
Old 2nd October 2014
Gear Nut

Hi all,
Upgrading from an Echo Audiofire 12 shortly, and I'm looking to go for the UFX at the moment.

Just wondering what people think of the UFX in 2014 and getting into 2015? It's still pricey, but will it hold it's value for a long time as the FF800 has?

I will mainly be using it as an interface with line in's / outs in the studio (16 in 16 out) but the USB recording is what's steering me in this direction as opposed to the new Motu 16A etc.

Thoughts?
Old 2nd October 2014
Gear Addict

Using two ufx's at the moment, one in the studio and one for live. There are super reliable, drivers are solid. Sound quality is perfect. Low latencies with USB.
Amazing piece!
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear
Get it.. You will not regret it! It is superb
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear
I've had it since it came out. Never thought I would need all the inputs. Have slowly been growing into it. It's fantastic.
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Head
got mine 3 months ago at sonicsense.com and it was not so pricey in U.S. when I signed up as a member. Definitely was concerned about how long it would stay relevant but so far no complaints and it's a huge upgrade from my audiobox.
Old 13th October 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodywa View Post
it's a huge upgrade from my audiobox.
Ha! I bet. ANY RME product is a massive upgrade if not for the drivers alone

I had an Audiobox given to me that I used for almost a year and it hated my laptop. Had to reinstall drivers everytime I used it
Old 19th February 2015
Here for the gear
Sorry for this question but I can't seem to find the answer. I want to Change the labeling of my faders in Total Mix to reflect my current set up. Is there a way to edit the input/output names on the faders in Total Mix? The manual seems to reference editing the names of the channels by double clicking in the Channel layout section but this is not happening for me.

Also, any advice on the best routing of a summing mixer with a UFX? As of now I'm sending 2adat signals to the summing mixer and then direct to monitors from the mixer. However, I'm thinking it might be more efficient to have the monitors connected to analog outputs 1/2 from the UFX and then have the Mixer come into another pair of inputs. Any thoughts on what would be better or worse?

thanks in advance for any help
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProgress View Post
Sorry for this question but I can't seem to find the answer. I want to Change the labeling of my faders in Total Mix to reflect my current set up. Is there a way to edit the input/output names on the faders in Total Mix? The manual seems to reference editing the names of the channels by double clicking in the Channel layout section but this is not happening for me.

Also, any advice on the best routing of a summing mixer with a UFX? As of now I'm sending 2adat signals to the summing mixer and then direct to monitors from the mixer. However, I'm thinking it might be more efficient to have the monitors connected to analog outputs 1/2 from the UFX and then have the Mixer come into another pair of inputs. Any thoughts on what would be better or worse?

thanks in advance for any help
Labeling:
On your right you should avec the "NAMES" not highlighted. if it's ok double click and you can name your faders.
Old 19th February 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
Labeling:
On your right you should avec the "NAMES" not highlighted. if it's ok double click and you can name your faders.
Thanks fred2bern,
after some more experimenting I found some different issues.
the manual is a bit confusing here.
In order to rename a fader you must "option" double click the existing name at the top of the fader. This must also take place while the "names" button is not activated in the view window.

Very cryptic.

Thanks for your help.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear
RME posted a great video that give an overview of Totalmix. I think its on their youtube. I didn't watch it until recently and it helped me immensely. Wish I had watched it a year and half ago. Total mix is actually very well laid out. You just need a guiding hand to get clarity.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
RME posted a great video that give an overview of Totalmix. I think its on their youtube. I didn't watch it until recently and it helped me immensely. Wish I had watched it a year and half ago. Total mix is actually very well laid out. You just need a guiding hand to get clarity.
I agree and occasionally go back to these videos to refresh. There are at least two sets of tutorials but this is the more recent and, I think, better set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCH3qVaLL-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O5i3s29Id4

Avi
Old 20th February 2015
Here for the gear
Thank You gentlemen.
very helpful all around.
Old 24th February 2017
Gear Maniac

can anyone please help me with which of these combo jacks is the part to replace those on the ufx - a hosa cable ruined the trs part of one of my combo jacks.

ive no problem soldering or getting my local guy to do it but im confused a bit by all the options for part selection, have not opened it up yet so i cant inspect closer detail.
Combo I Series - Neutrik
or these
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plug...ombo-a-series/

and im thinking its this guy, but would hopefully like some confirmation from someone a little more in the know than me
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plug...eries/ncj6fa-h

unfortunately its out of warranty, and i would have to send it away if it try to go through rme (which i tried to get the part number but wasnt helpful)
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Nut

Hi Guys, i have question.
I still own a FireFace 800 and i just ordered an UFX. I hope it was the right decision.

What i wanna do.
Im a solo Producer (No Recording or anything, just sound pure out) and im doing electronic music (DrumNBass) ITB..
send it through the RME outs, and then to the Burl B32 Vancouver Summing Device for Analog Fattening..
in between, i have a Aphex 141 DA Converter (ADat 8CH), and most likely i will buy a Ferrofish A16 (ADat 16CH).

1st.
is it worth to pay the Price (soundwise compared to the FF800), or should i keep the FF800 since i never use all the other functions of the UFX like USB recording or the Mic Pres.
i just thought i may get better sounding Virtual instruments though the UFX.

2nd.
i will use the 8 analog outs (via TRS to DB25 into the Burl) and the 2 adat out which will go to the Ferrofish or to the Aphex (and/or maybe another aphex 141)
and via DB25 into the Burl = 24 ins and back from the burl into the RME.
(yes i will use 48khz only to have more channels with 24bit. not smuxing them down to 4 and just have 4 channels when using 88/96khz)

3rd.
the AES/EBU Digital Out. Is this One channel/stereo ? not 8 i suppose ?? Never really heard about that one. It old but anyway.

So is there a way to get more than those 24 channels outs into the Burl ??
and is it worth, soundwise, to keep the UFX when i get it or shall i keep the FF800 an send the UFX back and safe the money for ….?
After over 30 sites reading of this Thread im not sure anymore. I mean its great if you use the other functions but ill never do so.
Will never record anything with it. Also i read that the UFX comes to “class” when you use 88/96khz and not really 48. So, like i said,
im not sure anymore if its worth it, for me.
Im over 20yrs RME user and love their stuff for the DigiCheck Analyzer and their stable drivers but they just do complex boxes. nothing what would
really bring me a step further, like 8 Analog outs and maybe 3 ADats or MADI.. Also i just need Ch1/2 input,for recording, thats all Inputs i will ever use.Not 30 like the UFX offers.

Shall i buy something else maybe ? I know, most if you guys record stuff live, like MATs, if he`s still here after these years (most likely using UFX+ or UFX II now )
so
please state your ideas/thoughts, what YOU would do if you were me..
Thanks a lot !!
Old 20th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabooka View Post
Hi Guys, i have question.
I still own a FireFace 800 and i just ordered an UFX. I hope it was the right decision.

What i wanna do.
Im a solo Producer (No Recording or anything, just sound pure out) and im doing electronic music (DrumNBass) ITB..
send it through the RME outs, and then to the Burl B32 Vancouver Summing Device for Analog Fattening..
in between, i have a Aphex 141 DA Converter (ADat 8CH), and most likely i will buy a Ferrofish A16 (ADat 16CH).

1st.
is it worth to pay the Price (soundwise compared to the FF800), or should i keep the FF800 since i never use all the other functions of the UFX like USB recording or the Mic Pres.
i just thought i may get better sounding Virtual instruments though the UFX.

2nd.
i will use the 8 analog outs (via TRS to DB25 into the Burl) and the 2 adat out which will go to the Ferrofish or to the Aphex (and/or maybe another aphex 141)
and via DB25 into the Burl = 24 ins and back from the burl into the RME.
(yes i will use 48khz only to have more channels with 24bit. not smuxing them down to 4 and just have 4 channels when using 88/96khz)

3rd.
the AES/EBU Digital Out. Is this One channel/stereo ? not 8 i suppose ?? Never really heard about that one. It old but anyway.

So is there a way to get more than those 24 channels outs into the Burl ??
and is it worth, soundwise, to keep the UFX when i get it or shall i keep the FF800 an send the UFX back and safe the money for ….?
After over 30 sites reading of this Thread im not sure anymore. I mean its great if you use the other functions but ill never do so.
Will never record anything with it. Also i read that the UFX comes to “class” when you use 88/96khz and not really 48. So, like i said,
im not sure anymore if its worth it, for me.
Im over 20yrs RME user and love their stuff for the DigiCheck Analyzer and their stable drivers but they just do complex boxes. nothing what would
really bring me a step further, like 8 Analog outs and maybe 3 ADats or MADI.. Also i just need Ch1/2 input,for recording, thats all Inputs i will ever use.Not 30 like the UFX offers.

Shall i buy something else maybe ? I know, most if you guys record stuff live, like MATs, if he`s still here after these years (most likely using UFX+ or UFX II now )
so
please state your ideas/thoughts, what YOU would do if you were me..
Thanks a lot !!
Hi!

Imo the UFX sounds more relaxed and natural than the FF800. It should, as it's a newer design. The AES output is a 2 channel output.

If you only need digital outputs and intend to use other converters, I suggest looking at the Digiface USB or perhaps the Madiface. For all other purposes the UFX is a great workhorse.

Looking to buy a UFX II or + for it's MADI port, but I just recently bought a Zoom F8, an Aston Spirit and a Babyface Pro so it has to wait a while. Besides I don't do much audio work anymore.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Nut

Thx Mats, youve supported this Thread, i guess the most, an you was the first who posted about the UFX, so its good to see youre still on it
(even if jobs sadly are rare)
OK.
The thing is, i want, 32 outs if possible for the burl, or a least 24 outs. Not just the digital outs. also the analog ones. i just need a DA converter because also those ADAT outs needs to be converted be useable with the Burl B32.
But yeah the Digiface usb seems nice. So lets talk plain. If i keep the UFX and use the Digiface USB with it, does the Digiface have the sound of the UFX then ??
same could be asked with the FF800.
And its the digiface working hand in hand with the UFX/800 ? or would i just need the Digiface ??? because then i really wouldnt need the UFX or the FF800 anymore.
thanks again.

edit.
but when only the DA converter are responsible for the sound (of the ADAT), then i maybe better just get 2 Da converters (like 2 x Ferrofish A16) and a DigiFace USB and send back the UFX when it arrives and sell the FF800 as planed ?? right ?

Last edited by zabooka; 20th March 2017 at 06:34 PM..
Old 27th April 2017
Hey people, Been reading this thread

My father has an RME - UFX and I have a Prism Orpheus

The prism sounds great and so does the RME, the Prism has a bit more sheen to the high end and the soundstage is a bit wider, the RME has better bass detail but overall I prefer the sound of the Prism, this is using the MIC pre's and guitar/instrument preamps on both. The problem is that the Prism has glitches and problems recording in anything higher than CD quality, Ive tried TI firewire Chipset via Expresscard and to no avail lol so am about to give up and go RME UFX.

A question for anyone who may know, I want to try and get the sound quality a bit better with the RME, I LOVE the RME UFX functionality its so great and stable but I need atleast 2 to 8 preamps that sound stellar and a tad better.
I know I can use some preamp on the ADAT connection. so... does anyone have any preamp they can recommend to help me get a really good clean/neutral and natural sound ? I like the look of the Avalon Preamps but a bit expensive. maybe I could make my own Class-A pre (am a big fan of the class-a sound)

I plan to still use the RME inputs but have something a little better to use perhaps on the ADAT for the most important channels like Vocals.

Cheers
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

https://audient.com/products/mic-pre...p880-overview/
This was my choice, inserts and all

Matti
Old 27th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
https://audient.com/products/mic-pre...p880-overview/
This was my choice, inserts and all

Matti
Thanks

Ive been looking at those and they've been in the background in my mind for a while, I think they look/seem great and Class-A pres inside, I had a look at the inside and looks well made! do you know if there are any microchips or is it transistors ?

Those and Avalon are my first choices so far! hopefully they will integrate well with the UFX!
Old 27th April 2017
Lives for gear

It has 8 discrete transistors and some chips per channel if I remember right

Matti
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Maniac
I have a weird problem with my UFX... al channels are out of phase ... i have checked every thing 10 times of more. And it looks that al out channels have this.
i have checked:
  1. cables
  2. Amp
  3. Inputs connectors NS-10m
  4. Inputs and outputs connetors of the amp.
I have allways the "in phase button" open for the right outputs signals. strange thing not only the yamaha's has this , my KRKvxt with factory XLR cables Direct in the KRK,s has this issue 's .

maybe . Otherwise i chance the cables on the Yammies. But than the signals are outsite and the shield are inside.
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Head

Is your TotalMix phase option activated? If it is orange , that channel is out of phase...perhaps they are all engaged on all those channels.
Go to yout TotalMix and on each channel on the lower right , there is symbol that looks like a wrench. click on that and that expands that channels other features like phase.
Let me know if that fixed it.
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Maniac
I done a upgrade . wat i have done is the output of the headphones out directly on the ns10m st. and it works... but with the cable insideout

Last edited by QueenSisi; 21st October 2017 at 10:34 PM..
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenSisi View Post
I done a upgrade . wat i have done is the output of the headphones out directly on the ns10m st. and it works... but with the cable insideout
New MacBook and the problem is gone . No fase problem .
📝 Reply