The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Airwindows Desk 2.0 out
Old 30th September 2010
Airwindows

Airwindows Desk 2.0 out

Airwindows Audio Unit Plugins

Desk 2.0 is now out as well- everybody who's bought it should be updated now (as promised I'm trying to get these out as fast as I can, 3DClip and NC-17 to come)

Be careful about installing this if you use it in AU Lab- AU Lab flips out and kills saved projects if there is a change in the number of controls. I've tested it with Logic 8 and it just adds the new control at its default setting, which will keep things the same.

You have to replace instances of Tube or TransDesk with the new Desk and set it to Tube or Trans- other than rolling the three into one plugin, the sound is not altered other than just being better (antialiased) and more analog in character, so this is not one to worry about it making old mixes very different.

Again if you need to retain the EXACT previous mix you should save the older versions of the plugins and swap them in- I'll be rebouncing a lot of stuff exactly because it will be different in a good way
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Sweet, thanks Chris!
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Thank you Chris !!!!
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Just used it on a session and it's awesome. Tube and Trans desk improvement is through the roof....
Old 1st October 2010
Gear Nut

yep been demoing this along with buscolors and as soon as i have some spare cash im buying! Anyone with a Mac and AU compatible DAW should buy these 2 plugins and stop scrabbling over some buggy beta nonsense
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

It is pretty awesome, no doubt.
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Dude, how many plug-in builds are you making per second? You're on fire.
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
Dude, how many plug-in builds are you making per second? You're on fire.

I was about to write the same.
Chris, Billy the Kid of plugin land
Old 1st October 2010
Airwindows

Oh now come on. I'm an old man of 42 got freakin gray in my beard, nobody who looks like that gets to be called 'the Kid'

People need to remember that I've been at this for like ten years and working on audio things for over twenty... if it took this long to get good at it, well so be it

Also, since this is the Desk thread- emergency update! I don't think Kagi can deal with it until next week, but I need to split Desk back out into three plugs again, because I was a dumbass heh

People were selecting all tracks and loading Desk, TubeDesk or TransDesk into a global slot across all of them, and I just broke that by making it a switch on the plugin- and I've had someone running the equivalent of nearly 80 tracks on a laptop who could do it with Desk and the update broke that. One reason is, Tube takes the most memory to run (Trans less, Desk almost none) and with the switch, it loads up resources to handle any one, and then doesn't use them if you have just Desk on...

So I'm gonna fix that before dealing with anything else and updates will be flying today by email- I can keep track of things so new buyers of Desk over the weekend get the three-plug version shortly thereafter, and when Kagi gets the three-plug version next week I can turn it over to them.
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

chris when shall it be on windows?im dying to buy it
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Oh now come on. I'm an old man of 42 got freakin gray in my beard, nobody who looks like that gets to be called 'the Kid'

People need to remember that I've been at this for like ten years and working on audio things for over twenty... if it took this long to get good at it, well so be it
Ok, 'the Man', then!
Still the fastest plugslinger in town heh
Old 1st October 2010
Gear Addict

Hey Chris,
I've been using Desk on all my projects recently and really appreciate the swift updates.
I'll be getting some more of your plugs soon and want to say thanks in advance for your hard work.
Old 1st October 2010
Airwindows

OK- the three-plug version of Desk is back, everybody should have it, I'll keep an eye on new orders coming in so you don't have to wait until Kagi has the new one
Old 1st October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
OK- the three-plug version of Desk is back, everybody should have it, I'll keep an eye on new orders coming in so you don't have to wait until Kagi has the new one
Got it Chris! Thanks!

Responsive would be an understatement for you....thumbsup
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
FYI, the three version Desk is good for how I work so it wasn't a bad idea for me ;-) Since you had sent it out and I have it that's fine if the overwhelming majority need the 'singles', just wanted to let you know I will benefit from it as a consolidated version.
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Me too, I prefer the 3 in 1...as long as there is no performance increase in the new split up version, I will probably stay with this one unless you recommend otherwise, Chris.
Old 1st October 2010
Airwindows

Yes there is a performance increase, but ONLY in efficiency, it will sound exactly the same. If your CPU isn't overloaded by what you're doing it won't be different. I'm surprised as apparently you loaded desk onto a huge mix and manually set them all to TransDesk, and that's not more annoying than selecting all tracks, selecting the (BLANK!) slot you want the TransDesks in, and opening the separate TransDesk plugin, loading them all up at once?

But I'm glad you got the all-in-one version since you like it I think it's more likely people will need the extra efficiency, or will want to swap out Desk versions en masse.
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes there is a performance increase, but ONLY in efficiency, it will sound exactly the same. If your CPU isn't overloaded by what you're doing it won't be different. I'm surprised as apparently you loaded desk onto a huge mix and manually set them all to TransDesk, and that's not more annoying than selecting all tracks, selecting the (BLANK!) slot you want the TransDesks in, and opening the separate TransDesk plugin, loading them all up at once?

But I'm glad you got the all-in-one version since you like it I think it's more likely people will need the extra efficiency, or will want to swap out Desk versions en masse.
Cool - I used Studio One Pro for this mix, so I just chose one plugin from the menu, and dragged it over to all the other channels, one of the great workflow features of that DAW.
Old 1st October 2010
Airwindows

Yup, Logic can do that too. With mine (since they're generic) if you option-drag them they will retain the settings of what you were copying from, which is handy. That would be the same as what you were using
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

is there a demo of desk 2.0?
Old 1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Chris, Im buying them today.
Old 2nd October 2010
Lives for gear

this plugin is beyond awesome!
Old 2nd October 2010
Gear Addict

It's a great thing, Desk.

I tried the demo for a while (v1) and ended up buying it just now, along with BussColors. I'm already a ShortBuss user, so that's my system sorted.
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks Chris for listening and bringing the three-plug-version of Desk back.
I just bought it along with NC-17.
/assessor
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Nut

Windows RTAS or VST?

I know it's been asked a million times probably, but lemme make it 1000001. Any chance you might code for us Windows users? (Windows 7 64-bit pls). People love your stuff and you would instantly double, maybe triple, your userbase. Just throwing it out there. Good job on your speed/feedback man - GS is a tough crowd haha.

Trep
Old 3rd October 2010
Hey Chris,

What's your timeline for 64-bit AUs?

Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2010
Airwindows

Refer to the thread I'm about to make for an idea of my workload right now- there is no chance I'm going to learn a PC and to code for Windows in the foreseeable future, and I compile plugins on MacOS 10.4.11 for legacy support reasons which I don't believe covers 64 bit addressing. I'm using 64 bit internal math now, which is different, but I don't think I can do both PPC and 64 bit addressing at the same time...
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Maniac

Chris,

Quick question. On your site, on the busscolors page, you say down at the bottom that you don't need to have both desk and busscolors on the 2 bus. But what I've been reading here on the forums says you should put them both on, assuming one owns them both.

So I hope you can give a little more info about that. For me, I've been running tubedesk and the lush setting of buss colors on my 2 buss and really like what I'm hearing. But what if I were running regular desk rather than tube desk on the 2 buss with buss colors; would I not need to run desk then?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 3rd October 2010
Airwindows

The general idea is that you can use a variant of Desk on each channel (particularly with the three separate plugin version, this is efficient) and a setting on BussColors on the 2-buss. If you're running a lot of auxes it might work to put Desk on those as well- doubling up BussColors will lead to a stronger coloration that might or might not be desirable.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search