The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Line Audio Design CM3
Old 17th December 2005
Lives for gear

Line Audio Design CM3

New small diaphragm condensor mics from Line Audio Design just out. CM3 they're called.

Dunno if they're up yet or he's still got the previous CM2 model on the website but check these mics out. Just got myself a pair for about 250$ a pait and they're truly great on acoustic guitar and chorus. That's all I've tried recording so far but check this guy out - he makes mics and preamps and it's all hand made, the guy even answers all e-mails personally. There's some cool surround mics on the site as well, haven't tried those though.

Anyway, he's a really great guy and he makes really great mics. I am not him and I'm not trying to hustle his stuff, just spreading the word about these great mics cos they're not getting enough attention. True small business, made with love.

http://www.lineaudio.se/
Old 17th December 2005
Gear Nut

I bought the quadrophonic condenser mic a few years back, in a good room it can offer some interesting options.
Old 18th December 2005
Gear Addict
Hey, Pets, thanks for the tip. I didn't see the new mic on the site. Have you used the CM2? How are they different?

Thanks,
Fran
Old 18th December 2005
Lives for gear

The guy told me business was going a bit too well and he hasn't had the time to put the CM3's up on the site. I've tried the CM2:s and they were great. As small as a pair of XLR connectors...really tiny thingies. I WAS going to buy those but the store had just gotten these new ones in, so I bought those instead. Clean, open sound was my verdict on the CM2's. Very nice, tried it on acoustic guitar and some other stuff. As far as i understand, the "only" difference between those and the newer ones is that the new ones have slightly less self noise.

CM3:
Cardioid, 20-20000Hz, maxSPL 130dB, S/N 78dB(A), measurements 75x20mm.

Here's some pics:

Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

New ones up on the site now!
http://lineaudio.se/linemic.htm
Old 31st December 2005
Lives for gear

any info on this mic company is welcome
Old 31st December 2005
Lives for gear

I think you'll find some on the website. As far as I know, it's just one guy making these. In his own house, I think. Read an interview with him in a magazine awhile ago. I don't think he makes the capsules himself though and I don't know where he gets them from.
Old 2nd January 2006
Gear Maniac

for that price it's almost worth it just to say I have a mic with 4 capsules. Would be interested in knowing where he gets them from, if he's not making them.
Old 17th December 2009
GES
Gear Nut

little test CM3 and KM184 DAVBG1 and FF400

I post two samples. One is with CM3 and the other with KM184. One pair is amplified with FF400 and other with DAVBG1. Sorry..it is a too close sound, but I can't do nothing else because my room is not so good.
Which one do you like? none? both?

It's just a test, as I just got two CM3 and I like them very much!
sample B come in the next...
Attached Thumbnails
Line Audio Design CM3-dsc00342.jpg  
Attached Files

A.mp3 (5.61 MB, 15409 views)

Old 17th December 2009
GES
Gear Nut

sample B
Attached Files

B.mp3 (5.63 MB, 15091 views)

Old 17th December 2009
Gear Addict
Gee, thanks for the clips. They both sound delightful.

I have had no success emailing the address on the site recently. I'll have to try again.

Fran
Old 18th December 2009
bee
Lives for gear

Both sound great, which is which?
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiguru View Post
Would be interested in knowing where he gets them from, if he's not making them.
Same here,
Havent seen such low noise high performance electret capsules on the market. not to mention that they are cardioid.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear

Are you sure you didnt mix up the samples and uploaded the same thing? heh

Listening on headphones but to me it sounds...almost the same. maybe not even almost, I need to take these to the studio computer.
Old 18th December 2009
GES
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer1 View Post
Are you sure you didnt mix up the samples and uploaded the same thing?
I'm sure.
I checked again...
I find them different. Not a big difference, but only based in my taste...I prefer one of them over the other.
Old 18th December 2009
Lux
Gear Maniac

This mic is fantastic! Here in Sweden it costs about 140 dollars, and to me, it has GREAT performance. It is very neutral.
Lux
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GES View Post
I'm sure.
I checked again...
I find them different. Not a big difference, but only based in my taste...I prefer one of them over the other.
there is a difference but it's really close. when manually aligned they cancel to a big extent. i'd really like to know which mic got the DAV and which the RME!? my guess is that B - whatever microphone it is - is amplified with the DAV.
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear
anyone tried his LDCs?
Old 18th December 2009
GES
Gear Nut

You are right, the B sample (lineaudio CM3) is with DAV...
I personally like "B" more
But the "A" km184+ff400 is ok also....

I wonder if using cm3+ff400 and km184+dav would be a lot different?

Maybe the next test I will do that...
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Head

CM3 + DAV =

Will try my CM3's on drums next week, will be interesting!
Old 18th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
You are right, the B sample (lineaudio CM3) is with DAV...
I personally like "B" more
me too but nonetheless i think it's really close

Quote:
I wonder if using cm3+ff400 and km184+dav would be a lot different?
that's what i'm wondering too. my guess is yes but it would be very interesting to hear both mics with the DAV!
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

CM3 sound samples

Hi folks, just started to compile a list of copyright-authorized samples available online of the CM3, feel free to Email me links etc. or post on my Facebook page, thanks! facebook.com/NoHypeAudio
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

I received a pair today and tested it in comparison with Schoeps CMC6 MK21. Preamp and AD conversion: MR816X, recording in Reaper. (Sorry fo the piano playing that is so so...)
Attached Thumbnails
Line Audio Design CM3-dscf0921.jpg  
Attached Files

01-110601_1535.mp3 (1.31 MB, 14459 views)

02-110601_1535.mp3 (1.31 MB, 13804 views)

Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
I received a pair today and tested it in comparison with Schoeps CMC6 MK21. Preamp and AD convesion: MR816X, recording in Reaper. (Sorry fo the piano playing that is so so...)
I reckon the first one is Schoeps, as they seem a little more nuanced and fuller sounding, in this example. But there's a huge price gap, which is not evident. Would like to hear more comparisons including CM3..!

::
Mads
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Didier!!
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
I received a pair today and tested it in comparison with Schoeps CMC6 MK21. Preamp and AD convesion: MR816X, recording in Reaper. (Sorry fo the piano playing that is so so...)
Great comparison, Didier! Thanks!
The mk21 has a more tight bottom en sounds " wider".
But the CM3 is a great mic for a very decent price! It's very neutral and sounds great on instruments!
Pieter
Old 3rd June 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I reckon the first one is Schoeps, as they seem a little more nuanced and fuller sounding, in this example. But there's a huge price gap, which is not evident. Would like to hear more comparisons including CM3..!

Mads

Hi there,

I agree, nevertheless, I´d like to know for sure which one´s which.

Thanks for the comparison, I´ve been following gearslutz in general and Didier´s comparisons for quite some time and always found them to be very informative.

Daniel
Old 3rd June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolero View Post
Hi there,

I agree, nevertheless, I´d like to know for sure which one´s which.

Thanks for the comparison, I´ve been following gearslutz in general and Didier´s comparisons for quite some time and always found them to be very informative.

Daniel
I won't give away which is which as Didiers prefer keeping his test blind [I'm sure you have heard from him].

My comments above was made after listening using a pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones. Tried today using a modded pair of HD580 [technically very close to hd600] and that result was a little different. What is clear for me is that example 1 is "warmer" sounding [more lows if you will]. They both sound very good and are not far from each other, small adjustment in placement or EQ adjustment would arguably make them even closer. Impressive!

Didier if you have the time - I would love a comparison of how easy they overload and how they behave when overloaded compared to each other [like the key-jangle test - high freq transient test]

Mads
Old 4th June 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I won't give away which is which as Didiers prefer keeping his test blind [I'm sure you have heard from him].

My comments above was made after listening using a pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones. Tried today using a modded pair of HD580 [technically very close to hd600] and that result was a little different. What is clear for me is that example 1 is "warmer" sounding [more lows if you will]. They both sound very good and are not far from each other, small adjustment in placement or EQ adjustment would arguably make them even closer. Impressive!

Didier if you have the time - I would love a comparison of how easy they overload and how they behave when overloaded compared to each other [like the key-jangle test - high freq transient test]

Mads
I agree again,
I´ve listened to the samples through Ultimate Ears Tpiplefi-10 directly connected to my Macbook Pro with Audirvana as playbacksoftware (you should try this software if you´re on a Mac btw).
I find B a bit more precise with a bit more depth and note separation, while A has a very nice fullness to it, without really lacking precision.
I thought this already before Didier was so kind to send me the solution via pm

Daniel
Old 5th June 2011
Lives for gear

01-110601_1535 is CM3.
02-110601_1535 is MK 21.

Members from French forum Audioaddict asked me for a more distant take : see the attached picture. The third pair is Josephson C42. The numbering is different from the first take one.

24 bit flac files:
01-110604_2210.flac
02-110604_2210.flac
03-110604_2210.flac
Attached Thumbnails
Line Audio Design CM3-dscf0922.jpg  
Attached Files

01-110604_2210.mp3 (2.25 MB, 12913 views)

02-110604_2210.mp3 (2.25 MB, 12335 views)

03-110604_2210.mp3 (2.25 MB, 12197 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search