The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Symphobia 2
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Symphobia 2

Coming up in September. Here is the link to their website projectsam.com/Home | Home - ProjectSAM Cinematic Sampling

There is also a new update for Symphobia 1 ...
... unfortunately I did not see any upgrade from Symphobia 1 owners ...
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's a stunning new library.

The audio demos sound great.
Old 4th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
They also dropped the price of Symphobia 1 to $1,149.99! The demos sound amazing.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AWSOME!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The only thing more amazing than those demos is the price. YIKES!
I'm sure it's worth it, but damn!

~M
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sounds very impressive. Can someone tell me if this a complete library or would I also have to buy Symphobia 1 to have the full orchestra?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
lostinmusic, even with the two libraries combined they wouldn't supplement a complete orchestral arrangement. They are meant as an (INCREDIBLE) addition to other libraries with more dynamic layers and articulations.

The only thing beneficial to me in the Symphobia 2 would be the new legato patches, and that alone is tempting me to buy it.

Symphobia 1 sounds very different than any other library, and without any processing can fool you into thinking you're listening to a real orchestra if you know how. The downside is there are very few articulations and dynamic layers.

I bought mine at full price about a year ago over $2000, but its still worth it to me.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hmmm... aside from the short half-step figures around :39, it sounds exactly like what is already possible with the current library. Even those figures are achievable with some extra scripting.

I'm sure there's plenty enough there to warrant a new library, but I'm not hearing it in this demo.

Looking forward to hearing more in the near future, though.
Old 5th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was hoping for more sections; separate cellos, violins, basses violas for example. Symphobia II just seems like more of the same of version 1. If I had bought version one I would seriously question rather or not to drop another grand+ just to get a little more detailed version of version 1 without a upgrade price.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One reason would be real recorded legato interval programming which is a huge improvement over the first Symphobia (which by the way very recently got a fairly significant update weighing in at 900MB).

That there are symphonic ensembles rather than isolated instruments with Symphobia 2 is significant because that is not offered anywhere else. Symphobia is usually supplemented with other chamber and solo libraries (strings, winds brass) to lend even more realism to the performance. One thing it has going for it is that the orchestral ensembles were recorded very well, which natural room chorusing and believability because of the ensemble which is a unique take on sample libraries. Add in that its easy on resources suggests that its not something to dismiss lightly for everything it can bring to the table for your projects especially if under a really tight deadline. That's my take at least - its paid for itself many times over in our productions.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by saovi View Post
One reason would be real recorded legato interval programming which is a huge improvement over the first Symphobia (which by the way very recently got a fairly significant update weighing in at 900MB).

That there are symphonic ensembles rather than isolated instruments with Symphobia 2 is significant because that is not offered anywhere else. Symphobia is usually supplemented with other chamber and solo libraries (strings, winds brass) to lend even more realism to the performance. One thing it has going for it is that the orchestral ensembles were recorded very well, which natural room chorusing and believability because of the ensemble which is a unique take on sample libraries. Add in that its easy on resources suggests that its not something to dismiss lightly for everything it can bring to the table for your projects especially if under a really tight deadline. That's my take at least - its paid for itself many times over in our productions.
I am not getting you. Wasn't Symphobia 1 mostly ensembles with a few solo instruments? How are the string ensembles in II different than I besides the legato and a few more articulations? The demos sound more or less like Symphobia I. Seems like more a nice upgrade. Would make sense if you are just getting on the Symphobia train as you would just get version 2.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Maybe that's it.. that Symphobia 2 is a replacement product but they're still selling V1 for those who need it.
Old 4th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Should I get symphobia 1 or 2? I only have enough money for one of them.
Old 12th September 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 View Post
Should I get symphobia 1 or 2? I only have enough money for one of them.
Which product did you go for in the end? I would say both seem pretty indispensable - I currently have Symphobia 1 but am really keen on buying S2.

Any opinions on how good Symphobia 2 is from present users of the library?

Thanks!
Old 21st June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I am not getting you. Wasn't Symphobia 1 mostly ensembles with a few solo instruments? How are the string ensembles in II different than I besides the legato and a few more articulations? The demos sound more or less like Symphobia I. Seems like more a nice upgrade. Would make sense if you are just getting on the Symphobia train as you would just get version 2.
I have just ordered Symphobia 2 (I'm not an owner of Sym 1)... and I'm worried now that it is filled with ensembles at octaves, but not much (or anything?) in unison?

I'd love to hear from any users who have both... am I missing out on simple sectionals (eg unison first violins, unison 'cellos, etc) by going with Symphobia 2? Have I bought an expansion when really I should have gone with Symphobia 1 to get all the basic orchestral sections?

Or does Symphobia 2 adequately cover S1's ground, while also adding new samples like legato parts, etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me, before I open up Symphobia 2 and find I've made a mistake!

Cheers,
Mike
πŸ“ Reply