The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Yamaha monitors (HS50M , HS80M) anybody tried them yet?
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

New Yamaha monitors (HS50M , HS80M) anybody tried them yet?

Has anybody tried out the new Yamaha monitors (HS50M , HS80M) yet? They say the new models are "in the tradition of the NS10" wondering if it is hype (with a white woofer) of if they are actually useable. The older msp5s are crap. I need a new set of small monitors to compliment my Quested H108s and am hoping the new HS50Ms might be cool. Anybody heard them?

thanks
Old 28th November 2005
WHITEAUDIOLABs
Yes, they are great. In my opinion that is. I have not bought or sold any of these but I had a opportunity to listen to them.
Old 28th November 2005
Gear Addict

Been using the the HS80M's for a solid month now, and am tremendously happy with them. My clients also love them, and have all commented on how good the translation to consumer systems is. I have to agree. No surprises, and if it sounds good on them, your in the house. I use the -2 high cut, and leave the rest flat.
Best new monitor in many years, and no it's not hype.
Old 9th December 2005
Lives for gear

Anymore thoughts on these?

How are they to mix on?

Do you have the subwoofer?
Old 9th December 2005
Here for the gear

they are alright, a little bright, i sell these speakers. I think a better buy is the bm5a
Old 9th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinheat
they are alright, a little bright, i sell these speakers. I think a better buy is the bm5a
A better buy or a better speaker?
Old 9th December 2005
Gear Addict

They're showing up on ebay now.
Old 10th December 2005
Lives for gear

for the price, i think they're rather nice. a/b'd them to asp8,krk v8,krk rp8
yea i'd choose the asp8's over all ov them, but i'd take the hs80m's as a 2nd set of monitors. hell i might go order a pair now
Old 11th December 2005
Lives for gear

well i did a stupid a/b at GC between the hs80m's and the Event ASP8s

i did find the yamahas a little on the bright side compared to the Events

listened to Happy SummerTime (R Kelly) a song i'm very familliar with....(love The R!)

i really tried to go in there unbiased as i really wanted something nice....and i could give a fuk about brand..

the HS80's just gave me too mucho hi's and did seem more hypee..

the events showed me parts of the song i'd never heard before...

but the yamahas sounded nice...just too much for me....
i kept saying "Easy There Big Guy.."
Old 11th December 2005
Lives for gear

HDguru

HD guru said it all. The translation to consumer systems is by far the best that I've heard in professional monitors. That is much more important than how they sound compared to other monitors, (others missing the point). These are very good speakers. They are only bright if you have too many lights in your room. Or a less than par amplifier…

bcgood
Old 11th December 2005
Lives for gear

HS80M are powered monitors...
Old 19th December 2005
Gear Head

I did a quick n' dirty GC compare yesterday of HS80 to mackies and krk's (V8's, V6's and others). I liked em a lot more when I added a tad of subs to them. I liked the energy of rock guitars on the KRK v8's. But at this price point, the hs80 seems like a good value for little money.
Old 25th December 2005
Here for the gear

I've been using a pair of HS50m's without the sub for a couple weeks now. I've done a few mixes on them and the translation is fantastic. I'm starting to like them a little better then the NS10's. They seem much clearer and far more detailed. Definitely keepers!!
Old 27th December 2005
Lives for gear

I just posted about this a second ago but here's another thread. I'm using the HS50m's - I hated them when I first heard them but now I like them now that I'm using them. They still serve a similar function to NS10's regardless of how different the design is.
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

I´ve just recently mixed an album on those (HS80), and honestly, I can´t recommend them.
I don´t find them to be very accurate, in fact a lot less accurate than NS10 IMO. Be careful, they´re cheap, just make sure they´re exactly what you want them to, before you buy them. They don´t have ANYTHING to do with NS10, other than that they carry the name YAMAHA.

Toby
Old 29th December 2005
Here for the gear

Just tested the HS50M and 80M, and compared them to the NS10´s

With the HS50M its posible to come in the ballpark of the original, cut top and all under 100hz and boost mids 2db (all done using the switches on the back.
Ie. using them to do vocal stuf is nice, - do a whole mix on them like you can on NS10´s.. no. They are gonna finde a home at my place tho - purely for the sake of vocalmixing..

The HS80M is not even close, and sounds pretty much like any other speaker in the pricerange but looks nicer

Cheers
Old 25th January 2006
Gear Maniac

I have been using borrowed pair of Yamaha MSP10 for few weeks
and got quite accustomed to them but have to return them to their owner :(

So, as I am on a tight budget 500-600 euros and cant afford a new pair of MSP10s.
i am looking for another alternative.

My question is if the new attractively priced HS80's would do the job
for me similare or close to the MSP10's, they seem to look very closed to MSP10's and have all the EQ adjustment tweaks on the back as MSP10,s ?

I can't seem to find any real testing reviews on HS80's yet.

I am mixing mostly acoustic jazz + vocals and/or downtempo electronica + vocals.
Good Translation to real world listening devices ( car audio, FM radio, CD boom -box etc.) is the aim here.

thanks in advance for any input
domitori
Old 28th January 2006
Lives for gear

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/produc...80m/index.html

I just did a A/B at G. center. HS80m.... I did like them...... more detailed then the Mackies( & others) which i have had for a while now, and do get nice mixes which. I don't know how they would work mixing(ear fatigue??), but from the songs I just heard on them, ****, They sound real nice. Hyped or not.. and their' cheap.

Wish they had that subwoofer hooked up. I peeped rap and R&b mastered mixes on them.
Old 28th January 2006
Gear Maniac

wonder how they would sound without the subwoofer
on acoustic music ( jazz, classical, world. etc.) ?
Old 9th July 2006
Here for the gear

I agree that the HS80M's are a second after the ASP8s. But if anyone is trying to compare them to the RP8s, go with the HS80m's. It will run you $200 more, but the tradeoff is worth it (in my opinion). When compared side-by-side, the HS80s sounded like they had greater clarity than the RP8s across the entire frequency spectrum--although I agree that they were a bit shrill in the high/mids at times. Perhaps it will lead to ear fatigue, but if they translate as well as some have claimed above, then let ear fatigue be damned.

Disclaimer: But the RP8s still sounded good. I simply felt the HS80s sounded better.
Old 9th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic
I´ve just recently mixed an album on those (HS80), and honestly, I can´t recommend them.
I don´t find them to be very accurate, in fact a lot less accurate than NS10 IMO. Be careful, they´re cheap, just make sure they´re exactly what you want them to, before you buy them. They don´t have ANYTHING to do with NS10, other than that they carry the name YAMAHA.

Toby
I agree. I felt a lot of the midrange was masked a bit on the 80's. The 50's might make an economical 2nd set but I didn't give them an extensive listen. I would take the Dynaudio BM5A's over the 80's
Old 16th December 2006
Lives for gear

I have just written a post asking about BM5As x HS80ms!!!
Incredible coincidence!
here in Brazil the BM5As cost exactly twice the price of the HS80s. I do want to upgrade my monitoring system, which has been the Monitor Ones, and I have been able to translate mixes pretty fine (95%).
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
HD guru said it all. The translation to consumer systems is by far the best that I've heard in professional monitors. That is much more important than how they sound compared to other monitors, (others missing the point). These are very good speakers. They are only bright if you have too many lights in your room. Or a less than par amplifier…

bcgood
BC has the quote of the week!! This is why I ordered the HS50 pair. Also, if they are a little "high heavy", what do you think almost every system in use today sounds like?

I dont hear too many PC speakers, or earbuds, or car stereos with a nicely balanced sound!

Ill give a holler once Ive used them in the room.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

As a second set maybe, but as the only monitor... the highfreqs (of HS50M) were terrible terrible. I thought I could get used to it, but in the end I couldn't and sold them...
Old 15th January 2007
Here for the gear

I just picked up a pair or HS80M's out of curiosity today, and put them up at home next to my old NS-10M's (Not Studio), powered by a P-2200. If you cut the highs, boost the mids, and cut the lows, the sound is very similar. Seems like a good replacement for NS-10's if that's what you're looking for. But... Also seem to sound great when set flat, at least in my little room at home. They sound like NS10's with extended highs and lows to me. I think I'll love them at home for doing rough ITB mixes. I will be bringing them to the studio tomorrow to see how they are for real work. I'm looking forward to putting them up next to my KRK e8t's, which have been favorites lately, and translating really well for me.
Old 27th May 2007
Gear Maniac

HS50M - Do they sound like crap, very much like the NS10? You bet they do! They're as unflattering as it gets, and that's what a real, professional mixing engineer wants. That's why I got them.

You can mix on virtually any speakers if you take the time to get used to them. I chose to get used to the NS10 sound since the beginning. Because it's a standard and amazing mixes were historically done on them. Maybe there's better mixing speakers out there, maybe not. You would have to get used to them first, anyway!

Who cares if there's better mixing speakers? Andy Wallace and Tom Lord Alge mix on NS10 and the results are amazing. If it's good enough for them as main reference, it's good enough for me, no matter what anyone says.

I can't help laughing when these kids come up and say that Yamahas are not good as main reference and they got some Events or Genelecs because the sound was so much "prettier" and "better" and "less hyped"....
I have a question to those kids: do you guys want to mix because that's what you do in life, or you want something for the listening pleasure of playing Diana Krall everytime you bring your little girlfriend for a sleep-over?

I'm an audiophile too, but I know the difference between a nearfield monitor and a hi fi speaker. Maybe you should ask yourself: are you a professional or you just want something that makes you feel like your mix is actually sounding ok?
Old 27th May 2007
Lives for gear

Atually I've liked them [hs50m] for listening, when they played in the corner, totally of axis, just like some home "stereo".

But in the studio situation I hated the tweeter / that grainy harsh distorted sound of it /. I liked how certain vocals sounded with it. And the low-end wasn't right it was artificialy lifted (in the area that the speakers could reproduce)... it made beats sounding more beafy then they were.

Sold them to my sister and she's using them as a listening pieces. Anytime I come by I'm quite impressed how they sound... but again off axis and somewhere in the room - diffused.
Old 27th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Atually I've liked them [hs50m] for listening, when they played in the corner, totally of axis, just like some home "stereo".

But in the studio situation I hated the tweeter / that grainy harsh distorted sound of it /. I liked how certain vocals sounded with it. And the low-end wasn't right it was artificialy lifted (in the area that the speakers could reproduce)... it made beats sounding more beafy then they were.

Sold them to my sister and she's using them as a listening pieces. Anytime I come by I'm quite impressed how they sound... but again off axis and somewhere in the room - diffused.
Again, you're a good example of the kind of people I was talking about. Just doesn't make sense what you're saying.

It's good for a hi fi to sound harsh but not for a studio speaker? It's actually the opposite: you want a mixing monitor to SHOW the harshness in the mix. And that's what it's doing. Telling you the mix (you were listening at the time) is too harsh.

It's defined in the mids, so vocals might appear to sound better than the rest.

The low end comment doesn't make any sense. Same thing for the way they sound off axis. They're actually quite directional speakers, specially because of their small size.

Or maybe you just have more picky ears than Andy Wallace and Charles Dye :O Maybe you're a mixing genius. Call NRG studios! There's a new elite master in town.
Old 27th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
As a second set maybe, but as the only monitor... the highfreqs (of HS50M) were terrible terrible. I thought I could get used to it, but in the end I couldn't and sold them...
By the way, I listened to your stuff. Maybe you should have kept the yamahas, because your mixes do sound a little harsh on the highs, even on my headphones, and the lows are not very well EQd. Too much sub bass and very little low-mid clarity.
Maybe you should use them after all!..

Good stuff though. Musically.
Old 27th May 2007
Lives for gear

The stuff in my links is quite old and mixed with the Event 20/20p and maudio card... your comments are flat on... I've hated that.

Dunno, I don't want to be smarta**, what I wrote was my expirience. I'm quite happy with adam s3a, they've changed the way I mix/listen. To me they are very strict, esp. in the harsh area, but they are also very smooth if they are served with appropriate material. I don't want to compare $5K monitors to $300 monitors though.
A friend of mine brought a krk rp5 here and they didn't have the problem with highs, I'd prefer them over yamaha... but still I wouldn't be very happy ;-).
📝 Reply