The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL DrumXchanger Plugin - based on Transient Designer! DAW Software
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

SPL DrumXchanger Plugin - based on Transient Designer!

Hey everybody, check this pls... Home: Sound Performance Lab

The SPL DrumXchanger is the new "all-in-one" solution to pimp your drums tracks:

Realtime (low latency) triggering, drum replacing / sample player, 2x Transient Designer, 8 lo-pass & hi-pass filters, sample tuning, ducking, 1GB 24bit/96k sample library incl. separate rim samples, delay adjustment, mix engine, realtime presets, etc.

The only plug-in you will need on your snare, bass drum or tom tracks!

We are happy to announce that we have finished the SPL DrumXchanger and will release a public beta this Wednesday, which means "in 2 days"!

The DrumXchanger is a totally new concept featuring the "dual threshold" technology which enables users to trigger even the most difficult snare tracks with rolls, fills, ghost notes etc. without artifacts or mis-triggering.

We have just demoed this plugin at MESSE Frankfurt for the first time after working on it for a pretty long time, and it works flawless...

The DrumXchanger plays WAV files(!) and our new SPLX files that can hold up to 128 velocity layers and 5 variations.
It comes "loaded" with 1GB of hi-resolution drums samples (3 kits in 24Bit/96k with Bass Drum, Snare and 4 Toms each).

The SPLX files are a new "split-file" format developed by SPL, offering separate sounds for the drums and the rims, and you can blend the rim into the sample sound seamlessly with an individual threshold for the main drum and the rim!

DrumXchanger not only triggers the drum tracks but also offers 8(!) hi-pass/lo-pass filters and 2 complete Transient Designers in the audio chain and the sample path, plus a ducking compressor and a Dry/Wet mixer.

In fact, the original TRANSIENT DESIGNER Native plug-in is a part of the product as a free add-on!!

The SPLX format will be an open platform to any sample library, we encourage any company offering professional samples to contact SPL and to get the pro version of our sample editor, which we are happy to offer for FREE!
The first company that has confirmed to offer SPLX samples within the next days (thank you guys!) is xlnaudio.com, Addictive Drums!

DrumXchanger also has an editor "onboard" so all users can create their own multi-samples (8 velocities, 3 alternatives and 3 rim shots!) from the plug-in window(!). This means creating multi-samples in your recording session, on the fly...

I will post a few audio examples later today, and HERE is a first screenshot to make you guys nervous. :-)
The official release is scheduled for early April, and iLok trials will be online on Wednesday.

Cheers, Dirk.

Last edited by spl_support; 29th March 2010 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: added the weblink
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Looks good and the description sounds also good!

Do you have figures for the latency it introduces (RTAS), if any?

Being able to make our own 8 velocities, 3 alternatives and 3 rim shots samples is awesome!

Do you have plans to deliver a separate application for making more than 8 velocities and/or more than 3 alternatives per velocity? For me 5 alternatives per velocity would be ideal...
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

Thanks G-Spot,

it has 2208 samples of latency regardless of the sample rate.

We will gladly offer the pro editor to the public, which allows for up to 128 velocities, 5 variations and 5 extra rim sounds.

But we´ll let all of you try this first and THEN discuss feature requests. :-)

Cheers, Dirk / SPL. Home: Sound Performance Lab
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

thumbsup

Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

OK, audio time..:!
Click the MP3 links below! (right click "save as" or stream them)
All MP3s have been made with PT LE 8.0.1.

1. Funk Drums, pure recording - NO DrumXchanger
(bass drum, snare, hi hat, mono room. = 4 tracks overall)

2. Funk Drums, DrumXchanger on bass drum and snare
>>> check how the drumfills keep the ghost notes fill!
The snare sample has been processed with the "on-board" Transient Designer to get the ringing "tone".

3. Funk Drums, DrumXchanger on bass drum and snare (tuned)
The sample has been processed with the Transient Designer to get the "tone" ringing.
The TUNE knob of the sample section has been automated for continuous pitch shifting! Nothing else changes... (hihat, bass drum, etc.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

4. Punk Drums, pure recording NO DrumXchanger
"Real life" punk drums, snare not tuned and dynamics out of control... :-)

5. Punk Drums, DrumXchanger on bass drum and snare
>>>The snare TUNE has been automated bar by bar, check how DrumXchanger follows the "flamed" double snare hit on "one"...

6. Punk Drums looped - no DrumXchanger - full drums session!
(all drum tracks active incl. room mics and overheads, no SPL samples)

7. Punk Drums looped and DrumXchanger ACTIVE - full drum session!
(all drum tracks active incl. room mics and overheads, incl. SPL samples)

Sounds 1-5 have been overdone with the sustain control (of the on-board Transient Designer) a little bit, but on purpose, to make the snare sounds and snare changes more audible.
Sounds 6 & 7 are full drum sessions.
You can replace the sounds with literally ANY wav-file, so just find yourself the snare sound you like and GO.
You can even make your own multi-samples with our editor...

Cheers, hope you like the examples.
Dirk / SPL.

Last edited by spl_support; 30th March 2010 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: added more MP3s
Old 29th March 2010
Crazy sounds! I dig it! When's the demo avalible?
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

What was the price again ?
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_support View Post
We will gladly offer the pro editor to the public, which allows for up to 128 velocities, 5 variations and 5 extra rim sounds.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi View Post
What was the price again ?
according to the website
Quote:
Pricing and availability

DrumXchanger will be available for a recommended retail price of $449 USD (299 EUR), excl. VAT. The native version includes RTAS, VST and AU support for Mac and PC. As part of the product launch campaign, SPL is planning to offer some special deals, which include discounts to owners of the Transient Designer plug-in.
Availability of the final version has not yet been determined. Subscribe to our newsletter to be informed automatically.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

We will definitely have some initial offers, including reduced prices for upgrades from the SPL Transient Designer, for SPL bundle customers etc.

Stay tuned, please. :-)
We´ll announce this very soon.

Also, I will release some more samples today, of a complete drumkit including overheads, room mics, etc., and the DrumXchanger in action...

Cheers, Dirk / SPL.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Maniac

demos are nice
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

More audio samples, this time featuring crazy & wild punk drums in a full drum session.
(Bass Drum, Snare, Hi Hat, Ride, Overheads, Room Mic (M/S), and toms).

1. Punk Drums looped - no DrumXchanger - full drums session!
(all drum tracks active incl. room mics and overheads, no SPL samples)

2. Punk Drums looped and DrumXchanger ACTIVE - full DrumXchanger session!
(all drum tracks active incl. room mics and overheads, incl. SPL samples)

These examples show how the DrumXchanger samples make a difference and how natural even the fast rolls sound when the rest of the kit (overheads and room mics) are still active..:!

Cheers, hope you enjoy!
Dirk / SPL.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

BTW: the "punk" drum sessions are not recorded with a world class drummer, because we wanted to demo a realistic result of some drum recordings that every band can achieve in their own rehearsal room.

It´s also a really "tough" snare to trigger as it is not only very fast but also was played very "uneven" in terms of dynamics... there are a lot of really low level snare hits on the track, which is typical for "semi-pro" drummers (no pun intended) when really fast parts are being played with live drums...

I guess every recording engineer working with local bands will agree.

Cheers and enjoy! Dirk / SPL.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_support View Post
OK, audio time..:!
Click the MP3 links below! (right click "save as" or stream them)
All MP3s have been made with PT LE 8.0.1.

1. Funk Drums, pure recording - NO DrumXchanger

2. Funk Drums, DrumXchanger on bass drum and snare

Hello. Uh, not to be a wet blanket, but there are quite a few 'ghost notes' in the snare drum(particularly in bar 2 and 3 of the loop) that are not repeated in the DrumXchanger example.There also seems to be a fair amount of kick drum being triggered by the snare drum. Is this a good example of the DrumXchanger? If so, seems like back to the drawing board to me...

EDIT:
Yeah, I hadn't listened to the 'punk drums' example, but it too seems to be missing a couple of hits in the big snare part of the phrase. Although, it seems a little more accurate than the 'funk' example because there is less subtlety in the performance. I dunno guys...

P.S. - I'm a drummer...

Last edited by RaySoul; 30th March 2010 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 30th March 2010
Hold on - which is the 'Worlds Best Drum Replacement Plugin?' Please tell me so I can buy it.

Maybe this is the best in the Universe in that case it wins.
Old 30th March 2010
LdC
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Hello. Uh, not to be a wet blanket, but there are quite a few 'ghost notes' in the snare drum(particularly in bar 2 and 3 of the loop) that are not repeated in the DrumXchanger example.There also seems to be a fair amount of kick drum being triggered by the snare drum. Is this a good example of the DrumXchanger? If so, seems like back to the drawing board to me...
I also noticed this. And some of the ghost notes that are in there are very, very quiet (ie, the dynamic range is greater than the original, although it looks like there's a knob for adjusting that). I wouldn't immediately write off the plug-in based on those clips. I'm presuming that the operator didn't notice the problems – if they had, perhaps they could've tweaked the settings to capture the performance accurately.

Also, I disagree* about the punk drums being "very fast" – they're not at all. I'd be interested to hear how the plug-in handles real extreme metal stuff, since it's such a "trigger happy" genre, and some drummers vary a great deal in their dynamics. Not that I'd expect it to be 100% perfect in all situations, but if it's better than current solutions, that'd still be something.

*with SPL's posts, not RaySoul :-)
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

EDIT:
Yeah, I hadn't listened to the 'punk drums' example, but it too seems to be missing a couple of hits in the big snare part of the phrase. Although, it seems a little more accurate than the 'funk' example because there is less subtlety in the performance. I dunno guys...

P.S. - I'm a drummer...
hey, check this out - it looks like Slate Trigger plugin got all the little nuances captured from the same performance
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5254488-post340.html

it looks like a funny battle to me =)
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buncker View Post
hey, check this out - it looks like Slate Trigger plugin got all the little nuances captured from the same performance
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5254488-post340.html

it looks like a funny battle to me =)
Yeah, I noticed that too. More of the nuance anyway. I just didn't want to say anything.

The Slate example also misses one 16th note BTW...
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that too. I just didn't want to say anything.

The Slate example also misses one 16th note BTW...
I wonder how will it be if it would be triggered not from the full mix mp3 (with all the hats and etc) - but from the normal isolated snare drum mic wave.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by buncker View Post
I wonder how will it be if it would be triggered not from the full mix mp3 (with all the hats and etc) - but from the normal isolated snare drum mic wave.
I'm gonna guess straight up awesome! heh If it can do that from a full mix...I con only imagine what it would do with individual tracks where it doesn't have to deal with bleed at nearly the same level!
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

DrumXchanger (public beta) and 750 MB of samples are out NOW!

SPL Software Download

Enjoy guys. This is not an april 1st joke... :-)

We extended the demo time to 21 days for the early testers.
The manual will be out soon, there is a quick guide in the HELP section of the plugin screen.

Cheers, Dirk / SPL.
Old 1st April 2010
Tried out the demo. Excellent product!! Works very well in protools hd 8!
I wish it was TDM though.... =))
Nice sounding samples as well!! I'm buying....
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

Thanks Lindell!

You know that we are TDM "fans", but with this product it will probably not be possible (technically) to make it TDM, but we´ll check...

Cheers, Happy Easter everybody, and enjoy.
Dirk / SPL.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

I'm playing with it right now.
I like it , sounds tight and the transient designers are a nice addition, even without sound replacement.

Dunno why I should wait for the SS trigger, think everything we ever need is in the SPL.
Is there a manual to download somewhere ?
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil View Post
I'm playing with it right now.
I like it , sounds tight and the transient designers are a nice addition, even without sound replacement.

Dunno why I should wait for the SS trigger, think everything we ever need is in the SPL.
Is there a manual to download somewhere ?
Have you noticed that you even get the SPL "Transient Designer" as a second EXTRA plugin (the original Analog Code TD version!) with the DXC installer? It will be in your plugin list after installing the DXC automatically!

This way you can use only the Tranisent Designer plugin on channels that need dynamic shaping but no replacement (bass, acc git, room mics, etc.). We thought it´s a fair deal since all the Transient Technology is in the DXC plugin anyway, it just saves you some screen space when you don´t need to "replace"...

The DXC version out now is a "beta", and we are finalising the manual right now and will have it available online after Easter. I will actually post it here when done, but give us a week / 10 days because of holidays etc.

I am glad now that you guys can test the plugin yourself you agree that this plugin, combined with the other original drums recordings you mix, has all it takes to make really solid and TIGHT drums happen. In only a few seconds...

Dirk.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

@SPL

Yes I wondering about the Transient Designer as well.

So this is included in the price of DrumXchanger?

R.
Old 1st April 2010
CKK
Lives for gear

This REALLY sounds good. Took me 25 sec. to figure the plugin out - and now it does what I want it to do. Nice job.

One thing though - the snares are not that great, will there be more options in the final release or...? Perhaps it will be possible to load your own samples - yes?

Any pricing info?

"DOH - its all there at the SPL homepage - my bad. I will give myself one of these

Last edited by CKK; 1st April 2010 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: RTFM!!!
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
the snares are not that great, will there be more options in the final release or...?
And that's basically my finding. It seems to work okay. Though I haven't really pressed it, just a simple kick drum pattern. But the SOUNDS. That will apparently be the tail of the tape with these plugs. Because the kick drums(for example) don't compare with sounds I've had forever. So, that library is gonna be an issue. That might be the main place where Trigger will have an edge, because Slates' sounds are pretty good...
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Nut

from SPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
@SPL

Yes I wondering about the Transient Designer as well.

So this is included in the price of DrumXchanger?

R.
YES, absolutely!
Included in the package.
Cheers, Dirk.
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKK View Post
This REALLY sounds good. Took me 25 sec. to figure the plugin out - and now it does what I want it to do. Nice job.

One thing though - the snares are not that great, will there be more options in the final release or...? Perhaps it will be possible to load your own samples - yes?

Any pricing info?

"DOH - its all there at the SPL homepage - my bad. I will give myself one of these
25 seconds is not that bad. .-)

SOUNDS: guys, just click EDITOR in the GUI (on the left). You can load WAV files now(!), and you can make your own MULTI-SAMPLES now...(!)
You can even throw in Steven´s sounds (we don´t disagree that they are good!) and make them SPLX format files. ANY wav file or any bunch of wav files will do the job.

Also, we have offered other companies to release SPLX files, and there will be some out very soon. Don´t forget, this plugin is not even released for sale yet, we´re in beta tests, public ones though.. :-)

Cheers, Dirk.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search