The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad DAW Controller!!! Control Surfaces
Old 9th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
What one of these companies that already makes good DAW controllers like Mackie or Euphonix or CM needs to do is build a box with physical faders that can accomodate an iPad, along with an app to link it all together. Essentially a less expensive version of the SmartAV Tango..

That's ++EXACTLY++what it should be done! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 10th April 2010
Gear Head

So, I've been trying this for the past week. Colin has been great with trying to help me suss out the issues, but I've had a helluva time getting Logic 9 to recognize my AC-7 Pro and when it does it doesn't communicate track data or fly the faders and it crashes my wifi router. Anyone had similar issues and might be able to help out with trouble shooting? Tried a private network too and that didn't work at all.

Seems like an awesome app, but I'm having trouble getting it going.
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

I tried the iPhone version (AC-7) a week ago. It's a real pain to setup with logic if you want the virtual displays to show your track names instead of "Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.".

It's also latency galore, knobs just turn in a constant speed, no matter how or where you touch them, buttons (mute, solo, etc.) didn't work at all, like there was a feedback problem.

Worst of all, the fader just suck. Touch a fader or the vertical line it is on and drag up and down, one second later the fader will have moved to its destination. But if you don't draw a straight line up or down, the adjacent fader will also move. Dragging your finger diagonally across the screen moves all the faders more or less randomly.

I had high hopes for the iPad version, but I much prefer keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

Seriously, it's a joke, wait for in depth reviews before investing into an iPad just to use it as a control surface.
Old 26th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowbar View Post
I had high hopes for the iPad version, but I much prefer keyboard and mouse/trackpad.

Seriously, it's a joke, wait for in depth reviews before investing into an iPad just to use it as a control surface.
You might take a look at this: midiPad in action on Vimeo

Best regards,
Tobias
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by to-pse View Post
You might take a look at this: midiPad in action on Vimeo

Best regards,
Tobias
Looks neat for Ableton Live indeed.

I'm watching this closely

The editor is rather powerful and it seems to be more or less realtime. Not that well integrated (no track name syncing with Logic, etc.) but it's a good start and you can make your own layouts. I'd go for a 8 channel fader view with pans, level meters and mute, solo, arm buttons, then a channel strip view (gain plugin, compressor, channel EQ, sends) and then my most used plugins.
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Addict

that logic + ipad demo is cool, but it must have taken HOURS to do the template then set the OSC to MIDI software then use whatever way to send that midi data to logic then midi learn everything so that every sliders / buttons / knobs work ...

and one day for no reasons the midi assignment will stop working and you'll have to re-assign everything

been there
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Nut

i was looking for the same thing a while ago,, main goal was to be able to run my ableton setup with laptop closed and everything i needed from ipad osc touch control,,

i ended up doing something cheaper,, got a car touchscreen, 8" for $120
using usine free (www.sensomusic.com)

built my own touch controllers for controlling ableton/cubase and whatever,,

(control ableton with combination of osc, mackie control and custom script)
control cubase with makie control emulation)

got the thing mounted on the side of my novation sl mkii
having lots of fun,, took a bout a month to get my head around usine and osc stuff but had a lot of help on forums and such...

this thing is really fun and cool,, posibilities are endless too and great for diy enthusiasts,,

will post some pictures and make my creations available for free download when i have some time,, if interested check what user 23fx23 is building (he
s been my tutor in learning, full on osc ableton controller that will work lot like lemur's mu control when completed!)

only single touch but no ipad latency so im a happy camper
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry if this is a dumb question...But why wouldn't you just use a cheap app like this and remote control your entire DAW from your ipad?
Wormhole Remote to Offer Seamless Desktop Access From iPhone/iPad - Mac Rumors
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Nut

Took me 20 minutes to get set up and... WOW!!!!

This is great. If you have an iPad & Logic, you'll do better to skip Chipotle for lunch once this week and have fun with the AC-7 Pro. Just follow the directions on the developer's website. I can't believe this thing was less than ten bucks!

It makes me like Logic.

Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear

Im in im in!!!!!!!!!!!

Salvation!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 22nd May 2010
Gear Maniac

I wish I was rich
Old 26th June 2010
Lives for gear

I have it running Nuendo 4 and Cubase 5.5 on Mac, and it controls the DAW, but the DAW is not sending out any info - time, fader positions, names, nothing. Anyone encounter and resolve this issue?
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

after 2 months with both the ac7 and the osc, neither one can replace real equipment. latency, crashes, and time consuming setup. both are really more of a hassle than anything else. definately NOT a timesaver, nor truly expressive. maybe down the road, sometime....
it is cool though, to impress non techies with a flashy gizmo, though! and that is worth 10 bucks sometimes.
Old 27th June 2010
Lives for gear

I got it working, Nuendo was resetting the midi ports. Works great! Awesome app.
Old 28th June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldadrummer View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question...But why wouldn't you just use a cheap app like this and remote control your entire DAW from your ipad?
Wormhole Remote to Offer Seamless Desktop Access From iPhone/iPad - Mac Rumors
Good call. Another one to check out is Antecea Desktop Connect: Desktop Connect

Works with Mac OS, Windows, and Linux over Wi-Fi, 3G, and SSH. Includes passcode and encryption options, too.

Haven't tried it myself, but it looks promising.

Paul
Old 13th January 2011
Here for the gear

app-y new year

...guess I'd better sell off all the hardware this technology will replace before it depreciates to nothing as a result of this technology. Some things gotta stay, of course, but it won't be long before one will be able to point at almost every piece of equipment in an audio rack and say "there's an app for that."
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Nut

so how long till we meet some EQ plugins with iPad ? what do you think guys ? Pro-Q on ipad..mmmmmm
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

So is this working in Windows 7 64bit? I have iPad2, I'm using Reaper and for 6$ this is a must if this works
Old 9th February 2012
Here for the gear

I use AC-7 on my iPad2 with Sonar X1 (Windows 7 x64). Connect to via rtpMIDI and selected the generic "Mackie Interface" preset. It wasn't too bad to set up (Animoog was more of a hassle), but it wasn't completely painless.

I found it a bit laggy and the master volume only seems to work on the right channel, although that may be because I haven't customized the function mapping in Sonar. I wouldn't use it for main mixes.

I do have one use for it that I absolutely love: a wireless portable transport control. I can mute, solo and arm tracks for recording while sitting at a piano or a drum set, then playback the recording without having to go back and forth to the desk. I set up the iPad on a music stand next to me and I can track more efficiently.

I've tried AirDisplay as well. It's pretty cool dragging the sonar controls over to the iPad but the lag makes it just unusable as an input device. Multi-touch doesn't work with it either (one slider/control at a time). I don't recommend it (for now at least).

If you have an iPad already, I think AC-7 is worth the couple of bucks but I wouldn't run out and get an iPad specifically for this purpose.
Old 27th February 2012
Hi,
I bought the app last week and really enjoy it. What I can´t figure out is a command in Logic Pro. What do I have to do, if I simply wanna go to Bar one. To the Start of my song. With the keyboard I only hit Enter. Within the app I only know to scroll back to the start. I could use the locaters, what I don't want, because I wanna use them for other parts in a song. I watched the Instruction Videos several times. I think I only missed something.
Any suggestions?
Old 27th February 2012
ok. I got it. Isn´t it strange, that so often one asks a question and a few minutes later you find the answer on your own. It´s the STOP button and you are a bar one. Fine. Great App.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search