The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad DAW Controller!!! Control Surfaces
Old 5th April 2010
and what about this?

ProRemote
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

after buying the protransport app, and his prices in general, i don't think i'll be buying any of his apps again

he'll probably post on this thread soon, the dev is on GS
Old 5th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
after buying the protransport app, and his prices in general, i don't think i'll be buying any of his apps again

he'll probably post on this thread soon, the dev is on GS
what's wrong about it? is it badly working? From the description it looks like a very very serious application. I see it's a lot of money, but if it works smoothly I'd give it a go. But I need to be sure. ...And no Cubase skin is a downer.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

First thing i wanna say is congrats to the Saitara people

Now i'm on the fence to buy one Euphonix mc mix+mc transport.. I might just buy an ipad+AC7 pro. I'd have few questions though:

- Is the latency good enough? Does it feel responsive with logic?

- Can we control 3rd parties plug ins parameters with it(ie UAD, duende)?

- Can we nudge/zoom a region with the scrub wheel?

Thanksthumbsup
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
First thing i wanna say is congrats to the Saitara people

Now i'm on the fence to buy one Euphonix mc mix+mc transport.. I might just buy an ipad+AC7 pro. I'd have few questions though:

- Is the latency good enough? Does it feel responsive with logic?

- Can we control 3rd parties plug ins parameters with it(ie UAD, duende)?

- Can we nudge/zoom a region with the scrub wheel?

Thanksthumbsup

Do yourself a favor and get the MC Control. It's just awesome, and it has "real" faders-not just turning your finger into a mouse. ;-) The AC7 won't hold a candle to it unless you need remote functionality.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

for the latency some are speaking of not being a problem , we're talkin here about for example moving and touch a sliders , the time bewteen the touch and the sliders gui movement and also sound modification .....no mix with plugins or midi programming latency debate....
Old 5th April 2010
I have been playing with some iphone DAW controllers and I agree that I still need a real tactile response from faders. My opinion is that a touchscreen still cannot replace real faders.
In my ideal environment I'd go with Euphonix MC-Mix on the left and iPad with a smart and focused application on the right side of my desk.
What I'd really want from this kind of application is a touchscreen control surface that cope with:

1- DAW shortcuts (all commands I want - from bounce to normalize - in a plain, simple, customizable screen)

2- Transport routine

3- plugins control (in a smart automap way).

The mirroring of my mixer on the control surface would be still very important, but for global mute and solo routines. I'd like to have 16 or 32 channels displayed so that I may have the control of all these channels under my fingers (because with an Euphonix MC-mix you have only 8 channels at a time).
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBreed View Post
Some people just don't know how to use windows. Thats why they turn to apple. It's simpler.
Hmmm, I'm a professional Windows developer and I still use a Mac for music. But I guess being able to write low level drivers for Windows doesn't mean I really know how to use it.

But you are right, Apple is pure evil, we need to support an angelic company like Microsoft!

On last thing (since from your post, you don't seem to understand this), control surfaces are not in the signal chain.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Do yourself a favor and get the MC Control. It's just awesome, and it has "real" faders-not just turning your finger into a mouse. ;-) The AC7 won't hold a candle to it unless you need remote functionality.
Actually, you are incorrect. A VNC-based solution or touchscreen is a solution that just turns your finger into a mouse. The faders on the app being discussed here have higher resolution than that.
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol i know I was just trying to kid myself a little.. I'd rather go with a mix+transport though.. That scrub wheel on the control just feel weird. Plus i've heard that the touchscreen ain't very responsive..
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
lol i know I was just trying to kid myself a little.. I'd rather go with a mix+transport though.. That scrub wheel on the control just feel weird. Plus i've heard that the touchscreen ain't very responsive..
The plugin control on the Control is awesome though, and much easier to browse around.
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99 View Post
Actually, you are incorrect. A VNC-based solution or touchscreen is a solution that just turns your finger into a mouse. The faders on the app being discussed here have higher resolution than that.
Fine by me, your more than welcome to push a virtual fader around with your finger if you want. heh
Old 6th April 2010
Mar
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
I have been playing with some iphone DAW controllers and I agree that I still need a real tactile response from faders. My opinion is that a touchscreen still cannot replace real faders.
In my ideal environment I'd go with Euphonix MC-Mix on the left and iPad with a smart and focused application on the right side of my desk.
What I'd really want from this kind of application is a touchscreen control surface that cope with:

1- DAW shortcuts (all commands I want - from bounce to normalize - in a plain, simple, customizable screen)

2- Transport routine

3- plugins control (in a smart automap way).

The mirroring of my mixer on the control surface would be still very important, but for global mute and solo routines. I'd like to have 16 or 32 channels displayed so that I may have the control of all these channels under my fingers (because with an Euphonix MC-mix you have only 8 channels at a time).
Have you seen this? Logic key commands set (touchOSC) for download « OSCulator Forum

I think I will made the iPad layout also... all this shortcuts (and more) in one page will be awesome...
Old 6th April 2010
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
This product and people's need for it sort of reminds of this video for some reason:

YouTube - Warcraft Sequel Lets You Play A Character Playing Warcraft

I'm interested in this product but I have to admit that video is hilarious... the Onion rules!
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
and what about this?

ProRemote
The ProRemote iPad version screenshots look cool.. 16 tracks in landscape mode..

ProRemote iPad Gallery
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict

with a virtual tactile fader, you have to LOOK at the screen to be sure your finger isn't slipping out of the zone of that slider.

a real fader can be moved with eyes closed.

that's the big difference
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
with a virtual tactile fader, you have to LOOK at the screen to be sure your finger isn't slipping out of the zone of that slider.

Don't you have to LOOK at the real mixer to make sure you're grabbing the right fader?
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
Don't you have to LOOK at the real mixer to make sure you're grabbing the right fader?

Yeah your right, you should get about 15 ipads and bank them up and have a 80 channel virtual mixer, and you could get Omnirax or the like to build you a custom desk to put them all in. That would be sweet! And then you could upgrade eventually and get some real faders to control those tactile touch faders that control the DAW faders. Think of the possibilities!
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah your right, you should get about 15 ipads and bank them up and have a 80 channel virtual mixer, and you could get Omnirax or the like to build you a custom desk to put them all in. That would be sweet! And then you could upgrade eventually and get some real faders to control those tactile touch faders that control the DAW faders. Think of the possibilities!
LOLhehhehheh
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Think of the possibilities!
We're trying - how about you?
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
We're trying - how about you?
I am just kidding around here. ;-)

I think the ipad (or my iphone) would be great for remote transport functions but I just wouldn't use it sitting in front of my daw especially when I have EUCON.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the ipad (or my iphone) would be great for remote transport functions but I just wouldn't use it sitting in front of my daw especially when I have EUCON.
How about next to the MC Mix for tracks 8-16, so you can have 16 faders (so to speak) available at once?
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post

Ipad II (code name: crazyscreen) will feature faders and knobs that materialize from the screen made of a new material called mallixium. ok maybe not but i bet it'll be possible in the not too distant future.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear
Not ported to iPad Yeats, but this looks interesting.

$.99 App Turns iPad Into A Wireless DAW Controller » Synthtopia
Old 8th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Not ported to iPad Yeats, but this looks interesting.

$.99 App Turns iPad Into A Wireless DAW Controller » Synthtopia

I've got the iphone version of that, It's ****e
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

i have the ac7 up and running, and it's really not all that i hoped it might be. the faders are just unresponsive enough to really do any fast mixing, maybe mutes and stuff, but not any fast fades. the shuttle lagged too much to be useful. the buttons were smaller than i really would have liked, and i have small fingers. it froze up logic9 if i pushed too many buttons quickly, and had to start up logic again. this happened several times. i may use it as a remote start / stop, and to check levels so i can be over at the drum kit, and not run back and forth, but it's much faster and easier for me to just use my hotkeys / trackpad when i'm at my desk. iwa really looking forward to this being an effective control surface, but at this point it seems more like a novelty (with potential though)
Old 8th April 2010
Lives for gear

Here's a video of AC-7 Pro in action that was just posted on YouTube. Between turtlejon's experience and the video it looks like the faders have too much lag to be useful for actual mixing.. maybe ok for settings levels, but not for riding the faders/writing automation.

I still think the iPad with the right apps will make a nice replacement for something like the MC Control's touchscreen.. but won't replace real faders (which I love on the Euphonix units).

Old 9th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Here's a video of AC-7 Pro in action that was just posted on YouTube. Between turtlejon's experience and the video it looks like the faders have too much lag to be useful for actual mixing.. maybe ok for settings levels, but not for riding the faders/writing automation.

I still think the iPad with the right apps will make a nice replacement for something like the MC Control's touchscreen.. but won't replace real faders (which I love on the Euphonix units).

The beauty of the MC Controls led screen is the way it works in tandem with the physical rotary knobs that flank it.
Old 9th April 2010
Lives for gear

What one of these companies that already makes good DAW controllers like Mackie or Euphonix or CM needs to do is build a box with physical faders that can accomodate an iPad, along with an app to link it all together. Essentially a less expensive version of the SmartAV Tango..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search