The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad DAW Controller!!! Control Surfaces
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V PETERO View Post
My question is can we connect multiple Ipads and use it as one big controller, similar to MCU and MCU xt
I don't think so, but I'm pretty sure it has a bank function. At least the iPhone version is like that.
Old 31st March 2010
Deleted User
Is it multi-touch? (can you move more than one fader at once?)
Old 31st March 2010
Fhl
Lives for gear

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Is it multi-touch? (can you move more than one fader at once?)
Yes, you can
Old 31st March 2010
Old 1st April 2010
Here for the gear

Just to answer a couple of questions:

Do we need to install any additional software?

- Yes, you need the free, open source DSMI Server running on the host computer. Mac, Win, Linux versions are available from
Downloads - dsmi - Project Hosting on Google Code

Can we connect multiple iPads to control more channels?

- Not yet. It is the main feature we're working on implementing in a future (free) update.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Here's another upcoming music app for iPad:

forScore*|*sheet music on the go!
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Today up at Mac Rumors ....cdlt
Attached Thumbnails
iPad DAW Controller!!!-ipad_sheet_music.jpg  
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojomo View Post
Hi folks!
I'm from Saitara Software, developers of the AC-7 Pro app and I'd be delighted to answer any questions you might have about the product.

Latency: On OS X it's around 15ms... hardly noticeable on an app like this.
It's a little higher on Windows due to the need for a midi loopback driver.

Cheers
Would it be possible to transmit plugin gui's to the ipad?
Old 1st April 2010
Here for the gear

cool thing would be a controller with a proper implementation of the eucon protocol.
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Would it be possible to transmit plugin gui's to the ipad?

yes this is what we call a touch screen !! just buy a touch screen !!
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

A display input would be have been very nice actually.
Old 1st April 2010
Here for the gear

just found an korg iElectribe in the app store

manual can be found here: iELECTRIBE Help
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
yes this is what we call a touch screen !! just buy a touch screen !!
Do you know of a remote touchscreen?
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

just a touch screen here using sonar and my plugins .....plugins like softube trident or lexicon pcm native is real smooth to control as well as everything with faders , sliders ....i use it specially for my measurement plugins and as a control screen and for rehular transport and automation .....
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
just a touch screen here using sonar and my plugins .....plugins like softube trident or lexicon pcm native is real smooth to control as well as everything with faders , sliders ....i use it specially for my measurement plugins and as a control screen and for rehular transport and automation .....
What size screen do you use?
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

i got one small 14" but thinkin as sonn as app will be better "thinked" for touch things of getting one 23"to put on the desk !!

200 euros for the small n 600 for a 23 "
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i got one small 14" but thinkin as sonn as app will be better "thinked" for touch things of getting one 23"to put on the desk !!

200 euros for the small n 600 for a 23 "
Do you have a particular touch screen to recommend?
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojomo View Post
Latency: On OS X it's around 15ms...
Bye bye, thread!

(Feel free to PM me if you forgot a dot between 1 and 5.)
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Bye bye, thread!
We'll miss you!
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Addict
shame there is no dynamic track naming for windows. that's a dealbreaker for me. what does midipipe do that allows this? i'm assuming they looked at midiox for that
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecYrus View Post
cool thing would be a controller with a proper implementation of the eucon protocol.
+999999999999999999
yep,but for now I was going to sell my MCU anyway and was thinking MC control in one of the keyboard draws I just mounted under the DDA! however wireless and the low price of this It might be a pad first them we will see!
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Cojomo
Since this is a software device and you ca toggle between banks not a Physical control surface, Via software there has to be a way to make a scaleable mix screen we are not talking rocket science hear! ALSO if your using mackie protocal How about at least also adding a C4 screen for plugin control ?
If I remember correctly on the C4 you could control more than 8 faders, so within the MCU system it is possible to have at least a larger screen!
I would look into this before multi unit use!
Ican tell you half the attraction here is compactness and wireless! also at the very least a scalable track arming page with transport control! for many the whole concept of toggeling through pages has been a deal breaker for the exceptance of controllers! what everybod wants is a touch screen that they can zoom and define, but not something dedicated!
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
It will probably work only for Logic and other Mac based DAWs?
I dreamed for such thing as soon as I've seen iPad presentation, but I'm on Windows...

HP Slate is the BETTER equivalent to the IPAD. It runs W7 exclusively, and is "tuned" for that operating system. Besides, who wants to play with a virtual fader on a screen when you could have a real fader?? I do see the applications for this, but call me a nay sayer. Its just another way for apple to make money off of you. If the system you are using isn't broke, don't fix it. Sometimes the less technology in the signal chain equals less variables to go wrong. I still use windows. It still works, and it doesn't crash. Some people just don't know how to use windows. Thats why they turn to apple. It's simpler.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBreed View Post
I do see the applications for this, but call me a nay sayer.
Okay, you're a naysayer tutt
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBreed View Post
Besides, who wants to play with a virtual fader on a screen when you could have a real fader??
On the other hand, who wants a large piece of hardware with limited functionality when you can have virtual faders which do much more?

It's just an ergonomic adjustment. In neither case - hardware or software - the fader isn't actually adjusting your audio, it's sending a message to another component which is doing the work (unless we're talking real analog consoles). So the difference is tactile, and that takes a slight bit of conformity.

I definitely prefer the feel of real metal faders moving under my fingertips, but I've very easily adjusted to the smooth surface of a touch screen.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

touchscreens that works well in situation , well priced

Moniteurs | Packard Bell

i think it will be even less expensive in the us !

also i you can get "usine" a killer soft ala jazzmutant but fully customizable , sequencer , vst support ....80 euros !!
Demo ipod and Usine via OSC on Vimeo

touch screen (20")+ usine 280 euros , now what ?

or just like that : YouTube - iPad Killer

just put the pressure on daw developpement to integrate some features adapted for touch screen !!

sliders based plugins , incrementation buttons ....

Old 4th April 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
On the other hand, who wants a large piece of hardware with limited functionality when you can have virtual faders which do much more?

It's just an ergonomic adjustment. In neither case - hardware or software - the fader isn't actually adjusting your audio, it's sending a message to another component which is doing the work (unless we're talking real analog consoles). So the difference is tactile, and that takes a slight bit of conformity.

I definitely prefer the feel of real metal faders moving under my fingertips, but I've very easily adjusted to the smooth surface of a touch screen.
well 15 ms latency wouldn't be good at all for fader moves.
Old 4th April 2010
Lives for gear

5 ms for the packard bell .....

been on the Qwartz show this yesturday , did a show and i encountered the "usine "developper and this thing is ruffneck and we were usin it on a packard bell 20 " 5 ms ... workin great , and you're right the latency IS the crirical issue , so better choos some under 10 ms and check your ssytem latency (dpc latency ) and usb priority ....
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
well 15 ms latency wouldn't be good at all for fader moves.
To be fair they've only had a ipad in their hands for, lets just a day now. For general application I'm sure it's GREAT!
Old 5th April 2010
Here for the gear

Maybe there is something I am missing...and perhaps its because I am not a big name producer with golden ears and the like...but I can understand people complaining about higher latencies when you are talking about soundcards and plugins and audio playback...but when you are talking about fader movements??? Can one of the posters here who is complaining about a 15ms latency on the faders please explain to me why that is a problem? For general level setting it won't be an issue, for gradual level increases/decreases I can't see it being a problem. The only time I can see where there would be any posisble justification is if you were doing very abrupt level changes, perhaps to control "plosives" in a recording or something like that, but then surely dramatic changes like that would be better dealt with actually inside the DAW where there is greater precision?

Besides, in order to do level rides you are hearing the audio playback and then reacting to it by moving your fingers on the faders...so my question is this...what is the latency of the human controlling the controller? I am pretty sure that it would be more than 15ms!!! And, in anticipation of a reply which states that you can compensate for that by "pushing" your fader moves ahead of when they actually need to happen...because you are used to dealing with the human latency...then surely, with familiarity, you will become accustomed to the miniscule extra latency and adapt and compensate for that as well?

Just my $0.02
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search