The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad DAW Controller!!! Control Surfaces
Old 29th March 2010
  #31
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

this is cool and a 'necessary' app... but i'm more interested in something that will allow me to tweak EQ and compressor/plugin settings in a nice tactile way.

i.e. i wanna see the gui of the plugin on the ipad and be able to control it with the touch screen. a graphic EQ would be really intuitive like that, for example.
Old 29th March 2010
  #32
Lives for gear
 
temetrepo's Avatar
 

Looks nice
can't wait to get one
Old 29th March 2010
  #33
Gear Addict
 
KingUgly's Avatar
drool...

will the ipad connect to another computer so that you just use the ipad as a touch screen?
Old 29th March 2010
  #34
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingUgly View Post
drool...

will the ipad connect to another computer so that you just use the ipad as a touch screen?
Definitely.. there are already VNC / remote desktop apps for the iPhone, it's just a matter of the developers updating them to take advantage of the larger screen.
Old 29th March 2010
  #35
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

This product and people's need for it sort of reminds of this video for some reason:

YouTube - Warcraft Sequel Lets You Play A Character Playing Warcraft


Old 29th March 2010
  #36
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Funny how people with no apparent interest in this product can't keep themselves away from threads about it..

Old 29th March 2010
  #37
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
No thanks.. Very happy with no flash.
I would agree, but most of the Net uses flash and until something else comes out to take it over, we will continue to see those lil blue boxes
Old 29th March 2010
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I would agree, but most of the Net uses flash and until something else comes out to take it over, we will continue to see those lil blue boxes

....ahem....
Old 29th March 2010
  #39
Lives for gear
 

holy crappin' crap.
Old 29th March 2010
  #40
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I would agree, but most of the Net uses flash and until something else comes out to take it over, we will continue to see those lil blue boxes
It's happening.. and accelerating. Hear what you are saying though. Just don't like flash and I, for one, welcome our new overlord aka html 5.
Old 30th March 2010
  #41
Lives for gear
 
theothermarkwilliams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
It's happening.. and accelerating. Hear what you are saying though. Just don't like flash and I, for one, welcome our new overlord aka html 5.
As do I.
Old 30th March 2010
  #42
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Silverlight is superfast, and very cool. I just had my site Stranded On A Planet redone with it, and the speed of the streaming/encoding is unbelievable.
Old 30th March 2010
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
am i the only one doing music without wireless activated on my laptop ?
no real ethernet link for example ?
Old 30th March 2010
  #44
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Funny how people with no apparent interest in this product can't keep themselves away from threads about it..



I was kidding. heh But I think the transport features might be useful for remote recording away from the control room but I don't quite get having touch virtual faders to control other virtual faders, hence the funny video. ;-) I'd rather have physical faders or just work the faders with a mouse. Lot's of people comment on products they wouldn't buy on Gearslutz threads so I shouldn't be prejudiced against. ha!
Old 30th March 2010
  #45
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I was kidding. heh But I think the transport features might be useful for remote recording away from the control room but I don't quite get having touch virtual faders to control other virtual faders, hence the funny video. ;-) I'd rather have physical faders or just work the faders with a mouse. Lot's of people comment on products they wouldn't buy on Gearslutz threads so I shouldn't be prejudiced against. ha!
Loved the warcraft vid heh - seen it before but it's funny as hell.

This app looks nice but I think a lot of people realise it's just the tip of the iceberg. I guess many companies will be scrambling this weekend to make the killer audio fader app (etc.. many more ideas I am sure) and it's going to be pretty exciting for us all. Sure physical faders are easier but we'll see. I am new to iphone/itouch world since mid last year and all I could think last year was, man this rocks but the screen is too small - the way you can use your hands on that little screen to make things happen? Now with reasonable sized screen? Future is here. It's going to be cool. I couldn't give a flying **** about flash or a built in camera (wtf) - this thing will rock for musicians/engineers whatever.
Old 30th March 2010
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
It's happening.. and accelerating. Hear what you are saying though. Just don't like flash and I, for one, welcome our new overlord aka html 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
As do I.
Whats the deal on HTML 5 and audio (sound) ?

I heard its way behind what Flash can do- is it due to catch up anytime soon?

Us Apple fanboi's are used to waiting of course, but...
Old 31st March 2010
  #47
Lives for gear
 
Melgueil's Avatar
 

This is only the beginning..the very start of it all. Some people scoffed at the iPad. No more. Come back in 18 months ...I mean you can imagine.

".....Introducing LogiPad Control, Waves introduces PadPlug and on and on.."
Tip of the iceburg. Soon you'll be "setting" you 27" Razor thin iPad into your home made or predesigned studio furniture desk- there is your console. Paradigm shift ....

cdlt
Old 31st March 2010
  #48
Fhl
Lives for gear
 
Fhl's Avatar
 

Looks good, and I can definitely understand why someone would use it, however, I'd "need" physical faders, like a DAW controller. Being able to adjust the volume without looking at the device etc. But being wireless opens for alot of fast recording if you're alone in the studio!
Old 31st March 2010
  #49
Lives for gear
 

This is REALLY Cool !!

Just think... you can wake up in the morning, and read the newspaper on your Ipad, then read a magazine, or a book, then surf gearslutz, then go to the studio to use it for controlling your DAW, control the lights in the studio, check what's goin on at home by monitoring your home mac, then order a pizza ....... all with the Ipad.... amazing !!! magical !!!!
Old 31st March 2010
  #50
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs View Post
Just think... you can wake up in the morning, and read the newspaper on your Ipad, then read a magazine, or a book, then surf gearslutz, then go to the studio to use it for controlling your DAW, control the lights in the studio, check what's goin on at home by monitoring your home mac, then order a pizza ....... all with the Ipad.... amazing !!! magical !!!!
Same thing we have been able to do for a few years now withthe iphone. But bigger. heh
Old 31st March 2010
  #51
Deleted User
Guest
I seem to recall that there are significant latency issues with wireless controllers. One of the main reasons why there are no wireless MIDI keyboards.

This info may be outdated, of course.
Old 31st March 2010
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Melgueil's Avatar
 

Using Frontier Designs Transport for about 5 years now - wireless / flawless.
Though to be fair only for the very basic transport functions

cdlt
Old 31st March 2010
  #53
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I seem to recall that there are significant latency issues with wireless controllers. One of the main reasons why there are no wireless MIDI keyboards.

This info may be outdated, of course.
Hi folks!
I'm from Saitara Software, developers of the AC-7 Pro app and I'd be delighted to answer any questions you might have about the product.

Latency: On OS X it's around 15ms... hardly noticeable on an app like this.
It's a little higher on Windows due to the need for a midi loopback driver.

Cheers
Old 31st March 2010
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojomo View Post
Hi folks!
I'm from Saitara Software, developers of the AC-7 Pro app and I'd be delighted to answer any questions you might have about the product.
Hi!
I am a user of AC-7 and I'm looking forward to seeing the new AC-7 PRO in action.
I'm really excited about your product.
I have a few suggestions on features I'd like to see in your new creation or in future updates:

1-
put a keystroke mapping page (like euphonix).
you could make a replica of qwerty keyboard keystroke mappings, (every DAW has its own) so you don't even need to enter the codes of the applications. (Novation automap pro has this feature and it is great)

2-
put a general mixer page that contains up to 64 channels, with mute solo and pans for quick overview
when mixing, a mixer general page is very handy to mute and solo on the fly.

3-
keep on working, you're doing a good job!


thumbsup
Old 31st March 2010
  #55
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for the kind words and advice!

On your suggestions:

1. Is planned for a future update

2. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.... You want 64 channels visible at a time? It's not really possible if we want to use the standard MCU protocol.
Of course with bank left/right buttons and dynamic track labels you can control however many channels you like.

Cheers
Old 31st March 2010
  #56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojomo View Post
2. Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.... You want 64 channels visible at a time? It's not really possible if we want to use the standard MCU protocol.
Of course with bank left/right buttons and dynamic track labels you can control however many channels you like.

Cheers
Yes this is what I intended so mean. 64 channels (or 32) at a time in one page, with mute and solo.
You say it's not possible because you are porting MCU protocol, is it?
Is there a chance to make it work outside, or better along with MCU protocol?
Old 31st March 2010
  #57
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
Yes this is what I intended so mean. 64 channels (or 32) at a time in one page, with mute and solo.
You say it's not possible because you are porting MCU protocol, is it?
Is there a chance to make it work outside, or better along with MCU protocol?
Yes, that's one reason... but on a practical level how would you fit all those buttons and faders onto one screen? They would be tiny.

The MCU protocol is useful because almost all serious software can use it without too much setting up. I could use a custom protocol and make it do anything, but then I'd need to make individual plugins for all the bits of software.
Old 31st March 2010
  #58
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojomo View Post
Yes, that's one reason... but on a practical level how would you fit all those buttons and faders onto one screen? They would be tiny.

The MCU protocol is useful because almost all serious software can use it without too much setting up. I could use a custom protocol and make it do anything, but then I'd need to make individual plugins for all the bits of software.
My question is can we connect multiple Ipads and use it as one big controller, similar to MCU and MCU xt
Old 31st March 2010
  #59
Gear Addict
 

Another question to the DEV is will we need to install other software on the mac to make this work.

Or will it just work with only the app and settings in Logic ala; midipad_welcome
Old 31st March 2010
  #60
Lives for gear
 
dougb415's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
Using Frontier Designs Transport for about 5 years now - wireless / flawless.
Though to be fair only for the very basic transport functions
Same here, but Frontier has discontinued the Tranzport. The iPad will probably take over that market eventually.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
bengl3rt / Music Computers
59
madehumble / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
4
AuraCore / Music Computers
12
Fuel / So much gear, so little time
71

Forum Jump
Forum Jump