The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IRCAM Tools by Flux:: Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 25th July 2010
  #151
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix (Flux) View Post
This might be really exciting for use with orchestral samples. I'm going to test it out against Altiverb 6.

You guys should consider a stereo out version only, that you would sell for (considerably!!) less. That would distinguish between the post houses charging 10K€ per day (who want the 7.1 version), and us poor creative mortals (who would only need a stereo out version). thumbsup

Last edited by jamwerks; 25th July 2010 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 25th July 2010
  #152
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
This might be really exciting for use with orchestral samples. I'm going to test it out against Altiverb 6.

You guys should consider a stereo out version only, that you would sell for (considerably!!) less. That would distinguish between the post houses charging 10K€ per day (who want the 7.1 version), and us poor creative mortals (who would only need a stereo out version). thumbsup
If you are testing it against Altiverb, then it's the VERB only you probably need, not SPAT, and the VERB is only 699.... (When you buy the more expensive SPAT, which is quite a lot more than just a verb, you get the VERB plugin in the package as well...)



Cheers,
/Felix
Old 25th July 2010
  #153
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix (Flux) View Post
If you are testing it against Altiverb, then it's the VERB only you probably need, not SPAT, and the VERB is only 699.... (When you buy the more expensive SPAT, which is quite a lot more than just a verb, you get the VERB plugin in the package as well...)
It's really the spacial placement on the stage that most orchestral samples need, which is a strong point of Altiverb 6 and of course MIR by VSL. It seems like your product might do some interesting things as well.

I can see most (thousands) of post houses wanting SPAT and use the 7.1 outputs (and others) you offer. For them 1500€ is an extremely low price. But thousands of orchestral sample users who could settle for stereo only might be interested, but at (imo) half that price. thumbsup
Old 26th July 2010
  #154
Lives for gear
 
Graal's Avatar
 

Incredible...
Old 26th July 2010
  #155
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
It's really the spacial placement on the stage that most orchestral samples need, which is a strong point of Altiverb 6 and of course MIR by VSL. It seems like your product might do some interesting things as well.

I can see most (thousands) of post houses wanting SPAT and use the 7.1 outputs (and others) you offer. For them 1500€ is an extremely low price. But thousands of orchestral sample users who could settle for stereo only might be interested, but at (imo) half that price. thumbsup
Well, VERB, is an algorithmic reverb which contains a range of source panning and directional parameters, not that I can say that I have tried to emulate the source positioning in Altiverb when using VERB, though I indeed think you should give it a ride and see what you can come up with, it'd be interesting to hear if you can achieve what you are seeking..




Cheers,
/felix
Old 31st July 2010
  #156
Here for the gear
 
digimaton's Avatar
 

been waiting for the VST implementation of SPAT since hearing mention of it at one of the IRCAM Forum meets, Nov 07 I think, they left the impression that it would be part of the Forum software pack (in fact all of this stuff is simply VST wrappers placed on IRCAM research software that has been around for years). But, there was no mention of it being independently released, and costing in excess of €1000, so I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the price.

However, very impressive end result, simply a must have for anyone working with spatial audio in a DAW environment; prior to this you had to use software such as the Max/MSP version of SPAT, Supercollider, C-Sound, V-Space etc. to achieve similar results. Plus support for B-Format is unprecedented in a commercial VST plug-in.

For voice processing Trax (previously SuperVP-TRaX) is amazing, but as for the other SVP based VST sound transformation tools, Cross Synthesis & Source Filter, simply not a patch on what can be achieved using the GRM-Tools Spectral Transform set, even Soundhack fares better than this. I would actually stick to doing phase-vocode transforms off-line using rather than work with the IRCAM Tools equivalent in real-time.
Old 31st July 2010
  #157
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimaton View Post
been waiting for the VST implementation of SPAT since hearing mention of it at one of the IRCAM Forum meets, Nov 07 I think, they left the impression that it would be part of the Forum software pack (in fact all of this stuff is simply VST wrappers placed on IRCAM research software that has been around for years). But, there was no mention of it being independently released, and costing in excess of €1000, so I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the price.

However, very impressive end result, simply a must have for anyone working with spatial audio in a DAW environment; prior to this you had to use software such as the Max/MSP version of SPAT, Supercollider, C-Sound, V-Space etc. to achieve similar results. Plus support for B-Format is unprecedented in a commercial VST plug-in.

For voice processing Trax (previously SuperVP-TRaX) is amazing, but as for the other SVP based VST sound transformation tools, Cross Synthesis & Source Filter, simply not a patch on what can be achieved using the GRM-Tools Spectral Transform set, even Soundhack fares better than this. I would actually stick to doing phase-vocode transforms off-line using rather than work with the IRCAM Tools equivalent in real-time.

I don't know if IRCAM has yet announced it, but all paying IRCAM Forum members, get a straight up 25% discount on all the ircam tools products.





Cheers,
Felix
Old 31st July 2010
  #158
Here for the gear
 
digimaton's Avatar
 

I don't have personal membership unfortunately, access via an institution, and I'm guessing it's mostly that category of member that will be purchasing from IRCAM. Even with 25% off, SPAT is still a little outside the budget of many of us small fry (musique expérimentale does not pay so well unfortunately).

What is the educational discount direct from Flux?
Old 31st July 2010
  #159
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimaton View Post
I don't have personal membership unfortunately, access via an institution, and I'm guessing it's mostly that category of member that will be purchasing from IRCAM. Even with 25% off, SPAT is still a little outside the budget of many of us small fry (musique expérimentale does not pay so well unfortunately).

What is the educational discount direct from Flux?

Flux:: EDU




Cheers,
/felix
Old 1st August 2010
  #160
Here for the gear
 
digimaton's Avatar
 

That's a reasonable discount, one that makes ownership now seem like a realistic prospect! : )
Old 5th August 2010
  #161
Gear Addict
 

Dont miss our new daily Trax Transformer tutorial videos series, a total of 12 quick tutorials, today we are at number four!

Flux:: on Youtube



To follow the tutorials, either subscribe to the youtube channel, or follow us on twitter

http://www.twitter.com/FluxPlugins

Cheers,
/Felix
Old 25th January 2011
  #162
Lives for gear
as there is not much talk about the Ircam tools I'd like to know if anyone tried the verb or spat out yet ?
Old 25th January 2011
  #163
Gear Nut
 
Stefanizzi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
as there is not much talk about the Ircam tools I'd like to know if anyone tried the verb or spat out yet ?
I think that in terms of overall quality and performance Flux Ircam Verb is better than Altiverb 6 and Lexicon PCM 960L, at least for classical. There's not much ado about it because of its complexity. Not the kind of device for inexperienced listeners, or user who aim to get "conventional" results very quickly.

Give it a try.


Regards
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
maxd / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Nahuel / Music Computers
16
recallbeats / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
10
bleak orange / Product Alerts older than 2 months
10
K-Slash / Product Alerts older than 2 months
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump