The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
IRCAM Tools by Flux:: Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post

BMI: 33.8 (calculator says I will die soon)..

DAMN!

According to my BMI I am 2.12 tall or something...

:D
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Acoustic and Cognitive Spaces
The research and development activity carried out by the Acoustic and Cognitive Spaces Team (formerly Room Acoustics Team) concentrates on the analysis, reproduction and synthesis of spatially considered sound environments.
In other words, the localization of sound in space, and the specific acoustical characteristics of a room or of an environment.

The reproduction and synthesis of a sound environment depends on both techniques of signal processing, controlling the manner sound is diffusing from the speakers, and on physical/perceptive models of the spatial properties of the room's sound sources.

Products
SPAT Multi-format Room Acoustic Simulation & Localization Processor
VERB Room Acoustic & Reverberation Processor
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

BMI... hmmm... never tried that.

Mine seems to be 27, making me "overweight." It's kind of amazing what they consider overweight by that scale, making just about every one I know overweight. Putting in my numbers from back when I was truly considered by most to be too skinny, that scale put me towards the heavier side of "Normal."

This might also explain why the polls show that the States is such a fat country. That, and the fact that it actually IS.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Watching those demos I just got fully terrified at the possibilities.

- c
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Sound Analysis and Synthesis
The analysis of sounds includes methods enabling the permanent extraction or automatic structuring of diverse sorts of information given off by a signal, such as the fundamental frequency or the spectral evolution determining the pitch and timbre of a perceived sound.

Information outside what is strictly musical is also taken into consideration, notably concerning industrial acoustics, sound design and multimedia as well as the automatic indexing of recorded sounds.

The methods used are based on signal processing, statistical analysis, information theory, machine learning and recognition techniques, but also on knowledge of auditory perception and acoustic system sound production.

Products
TRAX Real-time Voice and Sonic Modeling Processor
Cross Synthesis Spectral Envelope Morphing Processor
Source Filter Enhanced Sound Filtering
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

I just wanted to add another WOW to the chorus after watching those two videos... I hope this is not going to cost an arm and a leg when it comes out ( but i suspect it will)
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
I'm a bald alcoholic. All other fat, tall, bald, alcoholics are required to post next.
I'm an alcoholic so I'll bite

Seriously, I'll be happy to share my opinion. I just feel a little weird posting the same stuff at two places. I was lucky enough to catch the demo and discuss it in-depth with three people from Flux.

I think the IRCAM Tools was perhaps the coolest thing at the show. Spat, especially, impressed me. It basically does what I've been trying to emulate with weird routings, EQ and reverb for some time now - it actually places sound sources in a room. The sound demo was very impressive and I even have high hopes for the reverb, despite being known as a ITB reverb skeptic. I can't wait to get a hold of it.

TRAX was also cool, and as I said, seems to me to be far ahead of the competition. There were artifacts, but much less so than in any other ITB solutions. As Felix implied, I was indeed impressed by the pop song (I think it comes in at the end of my video that was kindly posted earlier in the thread). Personally I'd be very interested in trying it to create one-man choirs/backing vocals. I've tried every trick in the book for this and even singing/screaming at different distances at different pitches with different styles aren't to my satisfaction.

Even if I'm very excited about these plug-ins I realize that I'm perhaps not the target market. Post guys will probably kill for both of these plug-ins.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'll post the videos directly in the thread as well.

Spat.

TRAX.

One thing that's cool that I'm not sure is obvious from the videos is that you can actually 'zoom in' into some parts of the plug-ins. For instance, the part where you move around the sources in Spat can take up a sixth or so(?) part of the window, or you can have it covering almost the entire window.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

You combine this with Melodyne DNA and sound is truly putty.

All things are possible.

Tools this startling innovative are beginning to embarrass us as musicians and producers. The art/content should rise up to deserve this age of technological wonder. That's what I say to myself when I sit down to create new stuff. It's intimidating, in the best way.

- c
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Watching those demos I just got fully terrified at the possibilities.

- c
Totally agree! It's damn frightening!

I can envision a trance song with sounds travelling all over the place... Wow!

I think I've never been so impressed with a demo... Will make sure to spend all my money before it's released to prevent the temptation or alternatively I'll buy it through a 30 year mortgage
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post

Even if I'm very excited about these plug-ins I realize that I'm perhaps not the target market. Post guys will probably kill for both of these plug-ins.
I can imagine plenty of electronic music producers killing also for this, especially for trance music.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

That is really cool

This is going to very useful for Film, TV, and radio production.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Nut
Fantastic!
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomen View Post
Totally agree! It's damn frightening!

I can envision a trance song with sounds travelling all over the place... Wow!
I think that's the drugs.

I'm guess your talking about SPAT. That does look good. While this sort of Ambisonic+ processing is hardly anything new, this could be the pinnacle of its application.

The others look interesting, too... especially the reverb. But, I learned a long time ago that there's no free lunch when it comes to FFT processing and the trade-off for artifacts.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I just wanted to add another WOW to the chorus after watching those two videos... I hope this is not going to cost an arm and a leg when it comes out ( but i suspect it will)
1674 euros for Spat (956 euros for the reverb algorithm only) and 478 euros for Trax:

News - Musikmesse 2010: Flux and IRCAM join forces
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vunz View Post
1674 euros for Spat
Ouch, pricey!. Especially compared to its Trax plugin. way way out of my affordability, which is a shame because I've always been looking for a good 3D spacial plugin. Yet to find one I like outside of Rolands old RSS hardware.

Makes me wonder if part of the reasoning of the high price was down to Lexicons Native reverb plugin.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Ouch, pricey!. Especially compared to its Trax plugin. way way out of my affordability, which is a shame because I've always been looking for a good 3D spacial plugin. Yet to find one I like outside of Rolands old RSS hardware.

Makes me wonder if part of the reasoning of the high price was down to Lexicons Native reverb plugin.
1400 plus vat.. for the entire spat, which is BY FAR more than a reverb, you'll see when the demo versions arrives, or just look at Stiff's video...

For the reverb only (still 8 channel i/o) its 800 plus VAT, and the sound is sweeeeeet m8!

Cheers,
/felix
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix (Flux) View Post
1400 plus vat.. for the entire spat, which is BY FAR more than a reverb, you'll see when the demo versions arrives, or just look at Stiff's video...

For the reverb only (still 8 channel i/o) its 800 plus VAT, and the sound is sweeeeeet m8!

Cheers,
/felix
Yeah of the 2 videos thats the one that impressed me by far,just way too pricey for the likes of me

Have you guys ever thought about making a plugin for cool 3D positioning effects for stereo only....which would also be a lot cheaper... please :D
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
1674 euros for Spat (956 euros for the reverb algorithm only) and 478 euros for Trax
LEXICON, COME BACK!

ALL IS FORGIVEN!

- c
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

You gotta hear the IRCAM Verb m8...

Cheers,
/felix
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
1674 euros for Spat (956 euros for the reverb algorithm only) and 478 euros for Trax:

News - Musikmesse 2010: Flux and IRCAM join forces
$2,257 US

Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
$2,257 US
Close. It's $2900.

[edit: sorry, $2900 for the whole package.]

- c
Old 31st March 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
$2,257 US

That's the most disgusting smiley face I've ever seen. I'm impressed. Salut!
Old 31st March 2010
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Close. It's $2900.

- c
It's $2257 for SPAT alone.

I saw a demo of Spat from Veronique Larcher back in 2000. How has the algorithm changed during that time?
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
LEXICON, COME BACK!

ALL IS FORGIVEN!

- c
heh
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix (Flux) View Post
You gotta hear the IRCAM Verb m8...
room, plate, hall algorithms included?
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
It's $2257 for SPAT alone.

I saw a demo of Spat from Veronique Larcher back in 2000. How has the algorithm changed during that time?
Probably a lot, that's ten years ago, but I will have to consult IRCAM in order to get more facts on that.

Cheers,
/felix
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
$2,257 US

Yeah, but you don't pay sales tax for europe, dunno why SoS put the prices with TAX included, those figures did not come from us.

The price set for Europe, without sales tax, is 1400 eur, so, in usd, it'd prolly end up round about 1800 usd, and this is a rough guess, the global price structure is not done here yet.

SPAT is not a reverb, and this software is pretty much unique with what features and the quality provided, so, the people who would have a need for say serious 7.1 mixing, will be very happy about it....

Cheers,
/Felix
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Close. It's $2900.

[edit: sorry, $2900 for the whole package.]

- c
There's 5 plugins in total coming, not sure about the complete price, or what a complete bundle will consist of, again, SPAT is a workhorse for the serious surround or multichannel mixing engineer, while the VERB, which of course will have 8 in and outs, as all Flux:: plugins have today, while not include the localization stuff that you find in SPAT.

Cheers,
/Felix

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search