The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface

Today, Metric Halo announced the immediate availability of the new LIO-8 multichannel A/D/A converter, processor and interface. Based on Metric Halo’s ULN-8 technology platform, the LIO-8 is perfect for the audio professional that needs archival quality conversion, processing and interfacing. Equally at home in a mastering suite, mix suite or in a recording studio with external preamps, the LIO-8 provides conversion performance that is as stunning as that provided by the ULN-8.

According to Joe Buchalter, President of Metric Halo, “After we introduced the ULN-8, we got a lot of feedback from the professional audio community: It sounds fantastic, it’s incredibly powerful, it’s a great value and I wish I could get it without the mic pres! – For a variety of reasons, many folks do not need the preamps that we built into the ULN-8, but wanted to take advantage of the exceptional conversion and interfacing. For example, some engineers already have a collection of great preamps or a great console, and other engineers have no need for preamps at all in their mastering and edit suites. So we built the LIO-8 for these folks – a product that provides the exceptional ULN-8 conversion, mixing and interfacing without the expense and power requirements of the preamp section – increasing the value proposition for those who don’t need built-in pres.”

Everything You Need, Nothing You Don’t
The LIO-8 includes Metric Halo’s 2d Signal Processing bundle of essential signal processing plug-ins as a standard feature; the full +DSP plug-in suite can be added at any time via a software license (or as with all Metric Halo products, can temporarily acquire a +DSP license while being used in a larger system with any other +DSP licensed unit).

The LIO-8 is not just built on the same platform as the ULN-8 — it can become one. Following in Metric Halo’s longstanding commitment to Future-Proof products, users can add ULN-R mic preamps to the LIO-8 after purchase in either 4 or 8 channels blocks. The LIO-8 can also be ordered with 4 or 8 ULN-R preamps at the time of initial purchase.

Suite Solution
With everything you need to record, mix, process, and master audio (just add your DAW of choice, transducers and, if needed, preamps), the LIO-8 is your one-stop solution for editing, mixing and mastering suites. Even if you are using a DAW or recording system that does not support the LIO-8 FireWire interface, the unit's standalone operation and standard AES and analog interfaces allow you to use it as the Audio Front End and Monitor Controller for Pro Tools, standalone and PC-based recording systems.

LIO-8 Features Include
• Eight channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k A/D
• Ten channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k D/A
• Two channels of exceptional ultra high-Z direct input for instruments
• 8in/8out 192k AES interface (single wire)
• Full-featured front panel tactile control surface for standalone and connected operation
• Eight channels of analog domain send (active split before conversion)
• Metric Halo's exclusive per-channel selectable Character
• Word Clock in and out
• Digitally-controlled analog domain 7.1 monitor control
• Full-featured fifteen segment precision metering
• SMPTE I/O channels
• MIDI I/O for direct connect of Mackie Control protocol control surface
• Integrated mixing and deep instantiable DSP processing w/basic plug-in bundle
• Rock-solid stability — mature, real-world-tested firmware, & time-tested fifth-generation Mac OS software and drivers
• FireWire interfacing with ultra-stable, ultra low-latency drivers (FW400 & FW800 supported)
• Exceptional power performance (only 25 watts - DC powerable)
• Low mass (5.7 lbs. / 2.6 kg.)
• Extremely compact (everything in 1 RU)
• Rack-mountable

Jack-Of-All-Trades And Master Of Them All
The LIO-8 is a modern conversion system. Combining world-class conversion and interfacing, the LIO-8 provides mastering room, archival quality conversion at multichannel prices. From a quality perspective, the LIO-8 provides a complete mastering toolkit - ready to drive a mastering suite. With transparent converters (A/D/A conversion is inaudible) and transparent reciprocal processing, the LIO-8 provides a load-in, monitoring and processing interface for any mastering suite. Eight channels of conversion and AES interfacing allow for multiple analog and digital processing signal chains as well as monitoring and processing in surround. If more analog processing chains are required, additional LIO-8s may be added. The LIO-8 can also be combined with ULN-8, 2882 and ULN-2 units in a complete recording system.

The integrated mixer in the LIO-8 is not a mere cue mixer. It is a complete digital console with mono to 7.1 bus support, monitor control section, instantiable delay-compensated processing with full delay-compensated send and return support in the mixer. Not only can you mix monitor mixes for performers with essentially zero latency, you can also mix the show live for an immediate stereo reference.

At mix down time, utilize the acclaimed mixing and processing engine in the LIO-8 as your ultra-high-quality digital outboard summing system. Or, if you are an analog-summing aficionado, you can use the exceptional converters in the LIO-8 to drive your analog summing bus and capture the results. The LIO-8 A/D/A is penalty free. But as many engineers have discovered, the exceptional mix-bus quality of the 2d Mix engine coupled with MH's exclusive Character processing may leave you wondering why you would go to the trouble to use an analog summing bus, as it is already in the LIO-8.

Best Performance, Best Price
Simply put, the LIO-8 represents the best value in pro audio today. The combination of quality, features and price puts the LIO-8 in a class of its own. The LIO-8 has an MSRP of US $3,995, and is available immediately from Metric Halo and its world-wide distribution channel.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

AWESOME!!!!!!

Keep up the great work guys!!!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Wow! You folks kept this one close to the chest. I'm sure it's going to be a hit on GS, given the number of folks clamoring for this configuration.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Oh, is it Mac only? I'm mostly on Mac's, but do use PC's from time to time...

Also, this claim:

'Exceptional, Best–In–World, Archival Grade Converter Quality'. So, it's better than Lavry Gold, Prism and 16X's? (If yes, I'll get one asap. heh)
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

This will be something I'll keep an eye on. Great work Metric Halo!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

This is fantastic news. What a happy morning for me.

I have a ULN8 now and this will be my second unit when I get one.

That being said, the mic pres on the ULN8 are EXTRAORDINARY.

- c
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
This is fantastic news. What a happy morning for me.

I have a ULN8 now and this will be my second unit when I get one.
Given that the converters are the same on LIO-8, would you then agree with the Best-In-World statement?
Old 24th March 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

Price?

Very interested.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Price?
$3995
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Looks like a light version of ULN-8 without the full +DSP license and mic preamps which both you may add later.

Is that right?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Ohh yesss

This will be my 3rd unit.........
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

oh this is my perfect 2nd unit too!!thumbsup
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Oh, is it Mac only? I'm mostly on Mac's, but do use PC's from time to time...
Mac only at this time, although it can be used as a stand-alone converter for PC apps (you would need an AES interface for the computer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Also, this claim:
'Exceptional, Best–In–World, Archival Grade Converter Quality'. So, it's better than Lavry Gold, Prism and 16X's? (If yes, I'll get one asap. heh)
We would not make the claim if we did not think it was true. Obviously, at this level there is some subjectivity when comparing to other manufacturers. But I can tell you that we have users (many at major facilities) that have made the comparison to all the converters you list, made the switch and have not looked back.

Best regards,
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chao View Post
Looks like a light version of ULN-8 without the full +DSP license and mic preamps which both you may add later.
Is that right?
Yep. Same converters and analog.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
Mac only at this time, although it can be used as a stand-alone converter for PC apps (you would need an AES interface for the computer).
Thank you for your reply, B.J. No problem, I'm gonna move an AES16e from Mac to PC.

Quote:
I can tell you that we have users (many at major facilities) that have made the comparison to all the converters you list, made the switch and have not looked back.
OK, I may be a sücker, but I've spent the last few hours reading ULN-8 threads, and I'm sold if it's the same converters.

This is probably the fastest gear decision I've made yet.
Old 24th March 2010
Quote:
Mac only "AT THIS TIME"
Ooo I likes the sound of that. Could there possibly be a little Win 7 driver action goin' on at MH? If not, don't answer, let a man dream.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

thumbsup very cool, I've been pondering about adding another ULN-8 but don't really need more pres --- I may have to go for this box. Also nice: the non-reflective surface of the frontplate as compared to the ULN-8:

Old 24th March 2010
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
$3995
Ah, I guess I meant street price. Probably around $3500 then. Thanks!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

PC support and you would have many $$$'s from me and many others I bet oh well I'll just a lil bit longer.

G
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
Also nice: the non-reflective surface of the frontplate as compared to the ULN-8
That's odd. Wonder if that's optional. I like the reflective faceplate of the ULN8. Minor issue, but I think it's a nice design element.

- c
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Guru

Wow!!!
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

We would not make the claim if we did not think it was true. Obviously, at this level there is some subjectivity when comparing to other manufacturers. But I can tell you that we have users (many at major facilities) that have made the comparison to all the converters you list, made the switch and have not looked back.

Best regards,

Totally uncalled for BJ

Im considering switching to an Apple computational thinking device just so i can play in the Metric Halo playground. heh

But to taunt and torment PC users with that first statement "at this time" is really truly unfair.

What is a computational thinking device tinkerer to do?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

This is great! When you include the add-ons, I think you're back roughly to the price of the ULN-8... very nice. I know you will sell a lot... maybe even one to me!
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

This screws up everything. I'm going to have to replace my Apogee Duet with this for mixing on the road. Everybody's been raving about my ULN-8 mixes so much lately that I'm now pressured to do them all the time.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Trivial question, but if you order a box with 4 mic pres, would the faceplate still say "LIO-8," or would there be some sort of "ULN-4" badge? I would imagine not, but just curious...
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Good question! I thought this myself, when I opened my ULN-8 to swap out the faceplate (back in the beta days), and saw the 4 pre card marked: ULN-4.

...Or maybe I just dreamed that.
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Just received the coupon email from MH..... I bought one ULN8 last year, and will have a very hard time to think about it.

For those Window users, I don't think MH will do a PC driver/ software. It has been discussed for years. They probably have to increase price if they do that due to more tech support cost. Actually 2 of my friends switched to Mac after I showed them what I can do with MH hardware/ software. They don't look back not only because of MH products, but also a more friendly Mac system.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

I believe Sonic Studio has already been selling their Model 304, which is a ULN-8 minus the pre's, for some time. It has Sonic EQ and Sonic Console. The latter being a variation of the MH console?

Sonic Studio :: Digital Audio Mastering and Authoring Tools for PCM, DSD&SACD
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Very glad they're listening to requests. Nice job MH.

-SD
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Nut

hehhehhehhehthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

I use a 2882 for location recording all the time. Now this new box is just perfect for my home studio where I only do mixing and post production stuff.

Thanks MH!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search