The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSheltonLogic
have they fixed the customer service department yet?
What you talkin' 'bout? MH customer service is second to none. You had a bad experience? You'd be one of the very, very few. I've never heard of anything but high praise for their customer service. That's certainly been my experience.
Old 23rd January 2011

Last edited by ensoniq; 10th June 2011 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: situation changed
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Metric Halo - LIO-8 Converter/Processor/Interface

That's unfortunate. They are a small, very small company. Which makes the fact that their support, especially phone and online real time support, even more amazing that it is as good as it is.

I suppose it can be expected that as they find more success it may be harder for them to keep up with demand. They may have to hire one or two more folks!
Old 10th June 2011
what, no thunderbolt???

heh
Old 10th June 2011
Gear Head

If you would, list TB enabled devices. I bet you can't fill more than 2 lines. Promise RAID, Blackmagic capture thingy and LaCie external not out yet. That's it.
Old 10th June 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSheltonLogic View Post
have they fixed the customer service department yet?
Whoa, super troll! I did not know MH was renovating their space. Only reason to fix anything. Like a leaky roof or foundation issue.
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Nut

Hi,

Think the LIO-8 looks interesting but what if I need 3 instrument input (like I needed for Scarbee Funk Guitarist)?

2 Channels of Exceptional DI inputs suitable for instrument or turntable inputs
Ultra-High-Z for no instrument loading
Balanced or unbalanced operation
Jumper configurable pre-trim gain

It has these two on front - but how would I convert one of the line inputs to have same impedance and level in an easy way? Doesn't seem that you can set jumpers on these. I wouldn't like to have 3 DI boxes attached...

I also consider chain 2 ULN-2 but it seems ULN-8/LIO-8 sounds better - can anyone confirm?

cheers

Thomas
Old 11th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarbee View Post
Hi,

Think the LIO-8 looks interesting but what if I need 3 instrument input (like I needed for Scarbee Funk Guitarist)?

2 Channels of Exceptional DI inputs suitable for instrument or turntable inputs
Ultra-High-Z for no instrument loading
Balanced or unbalanced operation
Jumper configurable pre-trim gain

It has these two on front - but how would I convert one of the line inputs to have same impedance and level in an easy way? Doesn't seem that you can set jumpers on these. I wouldn't like to have 3 DI boxes attached...

Thomas
Since I am a dealer I will let others comment on the sound. Regarding the third DI, obviously you could use an external DI but you might inquire as to whether or not MH might mod your LIO8 to add the Hi Z option to one of the other Line inputs. They have made mods for several of my customers (not this particular one though).

just send an email to [email protected].

You could also consider having the 10M matching network added to one of the DSUB connectors.

Steve
Old 12th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarbee View Post
I also consider chain 2 ULN-2 but it seems ULN-8/LIO-8 sounds better - can anyone confirm?
I would also be interested in this comparison. I currently have a uln-2 and was thinking of getting a lio-8 for mixing and mastering duties. Will there be a noticeable sound improvement switching to the lio-8?
Old 12th June 2011
LIO8/ ULN8 is another universe compared to ULN2
The DAC section only is better than Lavry , Benchmark, etc.

Since I own the LIO, I don' have nothing to complain about the audio quality anymore. Its THE Firewire interface.

my 2 cents, coming from ULN2, 2882, Apogee Ensemble, RME
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks ensoniq. Close to getting one but still doing some research. I remember when I upgraded from a motu 828 to my uln-2. WOW - could not believe the difference!
Old 16th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
Thanks ensoniq. Close to getting one but still doing some research. I remember when I upgraded from a motu 828 to my uln-2. WOW - could not believe the difference!
what research? you get one in your studio and try it vs your old gear... is it better or is it worse? is it better enough to justify the cost? stats arent gonna tell you anything... gotta use one for a week or two. if its not that much better, send it back.

research?? HAH. more like imagination
Old 18th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
I would also be interested in this comparison. I currently have a uln-2 and was thinking of getting a lio-8 for mixing and mastering duties. Will there be a noticeable sound improvement switching to the lio-8?
I upgraded from ULN-2, Lavry Blue AD to ULN8. Though I didn't compare them directly (was too busy in making music...), I don't think there is a meaningful difference. IMHO, if you don't need more than 2-4 inputs (with ULN2's AES), ULN2 is just fine.

Some people want to upgrade their ULN2, because it's old, but there could be a reason Metric Halo didn't update ULN2's AD/DA.
Old 19th June 2011
Chao ... if you didn´t compare why you are "thinking " there is no "meaningful difference " ? paradox magic

For me there was a BIG meaningful and audible difference by comparing my old setup (ULN-2, Apogee Ensemble, Benchmark DAC1) to the new ULN8/ LIO8 .

AD/DA section, electronics, parts, everything changed in ULN8 compared to a ULN-2
Old 19th June 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensoniq View Post
Chao ... if you didn´t compare why you are "thinking " there is no "meaningful difference " ? paradox magic

For me there was a BIG meaningful and audible difference by comparing my old setup (ULN-2, Apogee Ensemble, Benchmark DAC1) to the new ULN8/ LIO8 .

AD/DA section, electronics, parts, everything changed in ULN8 compared to a ULN-2
Though I didn't compare ULN2 and ULN8 directly, but I did compare ULN8 to Lavry Bule briefly. And I had used ULN2 many years and later used ULN8 almost everyday. My experiences still count.

I used to be like many members here, compare everything when receiving a new tool or....a toy. But for "high-end" ADs, honestly the difference is very small (DA difference is slightly bigger) or it's better to say they are tiny different for certain thongs (the difference is much smaller than said.... moving mic 3 inches...ect). Regarding AD quality from other members' reports who own both ULN2 and ULN8, some of them said the same thing.

Anyway, all I am saying is ULN8 provides more analog and digital in/ outs. The work float and the whole package are better. But for only AD/DA upgrades from ULN2 to ULN8, it's just not worth the cost.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 19th June 2011
My oppinion is -by experience- different. I have chosen the LIO8 exactly because of the much, much better AD/DA section.
Old 30th June 2011
Lives for gear

does the uln-8/ lio-8 play nice with pro tools 9?

Am just about to order a LIO-8 to use primarlily with pro tools. I've noticed that some firewire interfaces seem to work much better with pro-tools than others in terms of smooth running and random error messages. Just want some confirmation before I pull the trigger that the metric halo stuff gets along with pro-tools well.
Old 30th June 2011
Gear Maniac

One reason Firewire is better is because the firewire device manages the clock and controls the data transfer between the CPU and the firewire box. In other words in makes sure data is buffered correctly and clocked locally. It doesn't wait for the CPU.

USB the CPU manages most of that.

Steve
Old 1st July 2011
cme
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
Am just about to order a LIO-8 to use primarlily with pro tools. I've noticed that some firewire interfaces seem to work much better with pro-tools than others in terms of smooth running and random error messages. Just want some confirmation before I pull the trigger that the metric halo stuff gets along with pro-tools well.
I just bought a legacy uln-2 and it works flawlessly with PT. Can't wait to get the 2d card and all the goodies it adds.
Old 22nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
No difference in quality between the main 1-8 analog outs and the 2 headphone outs.

The headphones are the same as the other D/A outputs; they just don't have the balanced drivers; up to the balanced driver for each channel, the circuit is exactly the same. So 2 of the outputs would be single ended, but that is the only real difference.

Best regards,
Is this also the case with the ULN-2/2882? Does the headphone output have the same D/A as the analog outs? How about the monitor outs and analog outs on the ULN-2?
Old 10th September 2011
Anyone using an LIO or ULN with cubase? Care to share any experiences?

I'm thinking of moving from my RMEs to MH because of delay compensation incompatibilities between RME and cubase. I have a hybrid setup and need delay compensation to work properly without too much manual labour.

would be great to hear from any cubase + mh users.
Old 10th September 2011
I use Logic, Studio One and Cubase with ULN8 and LIO8.

I had RME years ago. They are not in the same league. RME is ok, but never great or awesome. RME compared to Metric Halo is Honda Civic vs BMW 5 series.

I highly can recommend all Metric Halo interfaces for Cubase: performance, stability, scaleability, flexibility , latency, and most important sound quality.

Yes, GO Metric Halo you will never look back . Its the best FW device you can get for a Mac.
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
I use Logic, Studio One and Cubase with ULN8 and LIO8.

I had RME years ago. They are not in the same league. RME is ok, but never great or awesome. RME compared to Metric Halo is Honda Civic vs BMW 5 series.

I highly can recommend all Metric Halo interfaces for Cubase: performance, stability, scaleability, flexibility , latency, and most important sound quality.

Yes, GO Metric Halo you will never look back . Its the best FW device you can get for a Mac.
Great, thanks for the feedback.
A couple of questions, do you use outboard gear with your ULN & LIO?

If so, is it simple to use 2 boxes each connected to separate outboard effects simultaneously?
My primary concern is being able to use all my outboard analogue together and with good latency.

And lastly, does each box require it's own dedicated FW port?

Thanks
Old 11th September 2011
ULN/ LIO simply can integrate
analogue stuff; 2 Daking Compressors , and an EventideH5000 are running through my LIO ( please check also the Metric Halo webside, they have dedicated information about how and where to connect the MIO/LIO with analogue or digital Outboard)

Each box comes with 2 FW Ports, so you can cascade MIO/LIOs or use the second FWPort to connect a another FW device , a Hardware Drive or whatever
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
ULN/ LIO simply can integrate
analogue stuff; 2 Daking Compressors , and an EventideH5000 are running through my LIO ( please check also the Metric Halo webside, they have dedicated information about how and where to connect the MIO/LIO with analogue or digital Outboard)

Each box comes with 2 FW Ports, so you can cascade MIO/LIOs or use the second FWPort to connect a another FW device , a Hardware Drive or whatever
Thanks for the info, ensoniq.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search